• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Grand Theft Auto 5 - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Graphics/Performance/Features Tested

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

We've already covered off how the new Grand Theft Auto 5 scales between PS4, PC and the latest upgrade on current-gen consoles - but how do the new versions directly compare to one another? Tom goes deep, assessing all three modes on both PS5 and Xbox Series X. Series S will follow in content coming next.

Website article:

-

Summary:

- Only significant load time is same spot from menu, 20 seconds on SX and 23 seconds on PS5.

- 3 modes on PS5/SX alike.

- Fidelity mode: Fixed 4K on both PS5/SX with no DRS with RT shadows mainly from sun cast shadows.
- Fidelity mode runs with 30 FPS cap and feels similar to PS4 version and sluggish compared to 60 FPS.

- Performance RT: 60 FPS with same RT shadows. Easily DF's recommended way to play.
- 1440p/60 FPS. TAA resolves well, good trade off and highly recommended.

- Performance Non RT: no RT shadows, 60 FPS, 1440p target.

- Differences between consoles are subtle and nitpick territory.
- Textures, lighting quality, effects are match between the two.
- PS5 adds extra shadow texture under cars not found on SX in any mode.
- Shadow and SSAO quality is identical otherwise.
- Series X uses higher cube map reflections on car bodies. This only appears in non RT mode.
- Otherwise they are identical, with low grade anisotropic filtering on both.

- Between the Fidelity/RT Perf mode, nothing much stands out except RT shadows.
- In practice all 3 modes have same geometry, draw distance etc on both PS5 and SX.
- The only advantage is that Fidelity mode runs cube map reflections on higher resolution than the other.

- Performance RT mode: PS5 and SX have perfect 60 with some exception drops on both to 50s and some to 40s.
- You can incur more drops in free roaming by creating chaos in the city, but regular missions don't show issues 99% of the time.

- PS5 and SX drop in different areas in perf RT.
- eg PS5 drops to 40s in the "Mr. Phillips" mission and same spot has significant lead in same spot.
- eg2 In one Franklin mission SX drops to 50s and PS5 has no drop in the same spot.
- Both are capable of drops but never disruptive.

- In Non RT perf mode the performance profile is the same as above but with lesser drops.
- A few drops in SX to 55 FPS range still in the stress spots.

- Fidelity mode: DF only noted one drop below 30 in their testing during practical game play.
- The same "Mr Phillips" mission has a sustained drop to 20 FPS on PS5. SX drops to 27 FPS on the same spot.

Last edited:
Take the 'Mr Philips' mission for example, where Trevor goes on a rampage, where PS5 takes a hit to almost the 40fps line in the most explosive scenes. It's a stark, visible drop in an otherwise 60fps experience, making the oncoming bikers look choppy as they approach. On Xbox Series X, there's still a dip, but this time to 50fps.
DF have found one specific scene dropping lower on PS5 in both modes!

adamsapple

Summary:

- Only significant load time is same spot from menu, 20 seconds on SX and 23 seconds on PS5.

- 3 modes on PS5/SX alike.

- Fidelity mode: Fixed 4K on both PS5/SX with no DRS with RT shadows mainly from sun cast shadows.
- Fidelity mode runs with 30 FPS cap and feels similar to PS4 version and sluggish compared to 60 FPS.

- Performance RT: 60 FPS with same RT shadows. Easily DF's recommended way to play.
- 1440p/60 FPS. TAA resolves well, good trade off and highly recommended.

- Performance Non RT: no RT shadows, 60 FPS, 1440p target.

- Differences between consoles are subtle and nitpick territory.
- Textures, lighting quality, effects are match between the two.
- PS5 adds extra shadow texture under cars not found on SX in any mode.
- Shadow and SSAO quality is identical otherwise.
- Series X uses higher cube map reflections on car bodies. This only appears in non RT mode.
- Otherwise they are identical, with low grade anisotropic filtering on both.

- Between the Fidelity/RT Perf mode, nothing much stands out except RT shadows.
- In practice all 3 modes have same geometry, draw distance etc on both PS5 and SX.
- The only advantage is that Fidelity mode runs cube map reflections on higher resolution than the other.

- Performance RT mode: PS5 and SX have perfect 60 with some exception drops on both to 50s and some to 40s.
- You can incur more drops in free roaming by creating chaos in the city, but regular missions don't show issues 99% of the time.

- PS5 and SX drop in different areas in perf RT.
- eg PS5 drops to 40s in the "Mr. Phillips" mission and same spot has significant lead in same spot.
- eg2 In one Franklin mission SX drops to 50s and PS5 has no drop in the same spot.
- Both are capable of drops but never disruptive.

- In Non RT perf mode the performance profile is the same as above but with lesser drops.
- A few drops in SX to 55 FPS range still in the stress spots.

- Fidelity mode: DF only noted one drop below 30 in their testing during practical game play.
- The same "Mr Phillips" mission has a sustained drop to 20 FPS on PS5. SX drops to 27 FPS on the same spot.

Last edited:

legacy24

michael-jackson-popcorn.gif

Topher

Gold Member
It hits 20fps, surely Rockstar can do better than that.

"During missions, I saw just one drop: yes, Mr Philips strikes back, this time causing a drop to 20fps on PlayStation 5, where the impact on Series X was much less pronounced at 27fps."
DF have found one specific scene dropping lower on PS5 in both modes!

The drops go both ways....

"Take the 'Mr Philips' mission for example, where Trevor goes on a rampage, where PS5 takes a hit to almost the 40fps line in the most explosive scenes. It's a stark, visible drop in an otherwise 60fps experience, making the oncoming bikers look choppy as they approach. On Xbox Series X, there's still a dip, but this time to 50fps. However, we see the reverse fortunes in other missions - like a repossession mission with Franklin - where PS5 continues to play out locked to 60 frames per second while the Series X dips beneath."

adamsapple

So it's NOT 1 minute like that other video was claiming...

Nope, nor did DF even bother mentioning boot videos.

The drops go both ways....

Yes, in general the performance seems to be excellent across the board with minor fluctuations see-sawing between the two.

Performance RT mode seems like the way to go.

paulyboy81

Neo Member
It's such a huge game, play it long enough and you'll find a variety of scenarios where the machines trade blows like in this video, although I strongly suspect the PS5 will hold slightly firmer overall based off the footage we've seen thus far.

Shadows under cars seems like an odd omission on Series consoles, wouldn't be surprised to see that patched.

It's really pretty solid all round for the most part.

ManaByte

It's such a huge game, play it long enough and you'll find a variety of scenarios where the machines trade blows like in this video, although I strongly suspect the PS5 will hold slightly firmer overall based off the footage we've seen thus far.

Shadows under cars seems like an odd omission on Series consoles, wouldn't be surprised to see that patched.

When the original game came out we had #GrassGate. Now we have #ShadowsGate.

adamsapple

It's inconsequential either way, it's not casting an actual shadow, it's just drawing a dark texture under the car. The actual shadow quality is the same between them.

I found one of the images a bit interesting.
Seems a bit sharper on one of them:
XSXPerfRT_005.jpg

PS5PerfRT_005.jpg

DRS + Motion blur.

It may look slightly sharper or softer on either console any given moment.

Mr Moose

It's inconsequential either way, it's not casting an actual shadow, it's just drawing a dark texture under the car. The actual shadow quality is the same between them.

DRS + Motion blur.

There is no DRS, do you mean FSR?

ethomaz

Banned

DRS + Motion blur.

I don’t think it has DRS if it has these little drops in framerate should be little drops in resolution instead.

The resolution in fixed in all modes.

It could be the car difference in some instance in cube maps between Series X and PS5.

Last edited:

adamsapple

There is no DRS, do you mean FSR?

FSR too but it could be DRS.

In the article they make the standard boiler plate claim that "while DRS can't be ruled out".

It's always possible.

I really doubt GTA V will ever be on gamepass. It’s a cashcow for ten years and it’ll continue being one.

It actually has been on Game Pass before, but was taken off after a smaller than normal cycle, R* probably didn't want it to be there for 1, 2 years like most games.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
FSR too but it could be DRS.

In the article they make the standard boiler plate claim that "while DRS can't be ruled out".

It's always possible.

It actually has been on Game Pass before, but was taken off after a smaller than normal cycle, R* probably didn't want it to be there for 1, 2 years like most games.
I think it's been on twice.

Also:

"PlayStation 5 also receives support for haptic feedback and adaptive triggers on the DualSense controller, which translate excellently in adding a sense of impact to GTA5's shooting controls."

Probably why I would pick the PS5 version. I don’t see it as a technical advantage but it does add to the experience. I really love those triggers when games use them properly.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So for loading from the beginning....disabling your internet connection is the only way to have XSX be on par with PS5 and its disabled logos.

Thats an .........interesting result, lol.

Last edited:

adamsapple

So fidelity is just better cube maps and native 4K? Kinda lame.

Yeah, I see very little reason to choose it over Performance RT personally.

Would have been nicer if they aimed for 4K/60 or 1440p RT/60 instead.

So for loading from the beginning....disabling your internet connection is the only way to have XSX be on par with PS5 and its disabled logos.

Thats an .........interesting result, lol.

fetchimage

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Except for some exceptional cases in favor of one or the other, the comparisons begin to be.

london-identical-twin-portraits-alike-but-not-like-peter-zelewski-2-5abb65ba85f23__700.jpg

From there, you decide who is the handsome twin...🤗

PS.That said, it doesn't seem like a great job by Rockstar on the adaptation. There are many better cases of NextGen port

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, I see very little reason to choose it over Performance RT personally.

Would have been nicer if they aimed for 4K/60 or 1440p RT/60 instead.

fetchimage
Dont know whats hard to understand....No need to put on the warrior armor.

Tom disabled the internet connection for both consoles to try to get the most even comparison.

I'm not sure he even had to do that, just load from the main menu where you hit X to start....since the PS5 disables the logos. That would have probably still did the same thing.

The conspiracy about XSX its on an external hard drive or running it in BC on XSX is still wrong.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Dont know whats hard to understand....No need to put on the warrior armor.

Tom disabled the internet connection for both consoles to try to get the most even comparison.

I'm not sure he even had to do that, just load from the main menu where you hit X to start....since the PS5 disables the logos. That would have probably still did the same thing.

The conspiracy about XSX its on an external hard drive or running it in BC on XSX is still wrong.

Wait you're seriously saying DF disabled the Internet connection to somehow .. mess with the loading time result ?

Oh boy that's a new one even for me. Please don't drop that tinfoil hat on the way out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
VRR Required again......even for a 9 year old game.

Hopefully they patch that shadow bug thing on the Xbox. Seems like someone just forgot to activate it in the Ini.

Xbox wins on loading times again, just doesn't make sense.

Wish they had added DRS at like 1800P. Also, lack of 16 x AF is just unacceptable.

Last edited:

sinnergy

VRR Required again......even for a 9 year old game.

Hopefully they patch that shadow bug thing on the Xbox. Seems like someone just forgot to activate it in the Ini.

Xbox wins on loading times again, just doesn't make sense.

Wish they had added DRS at like 1800P. Also, lack of 16 x AF is just unacceptable.
It makes sense if they load on CPU as the cpu is faster in Series X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom