• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] - Ghost of Tsushima State of Play Trailer Reaction: A Swansong for PS4?

Business

Reaching what?

I haven’t said anything about the quality of the game, actually I said it’s more like an Assassin’s meets Tenchu, and I love both of those games.

But to be a game like RDR2, you need to have the same insane amount of interactive NPC, the same insane amount of detail, complexity and freedom. This doesn’t seem to be the case at all. That doesn’t mean the game is bad, it’s simply not at the gargantuan scope of RDR2.

I wouldn't use the word freedom to describe RDR2. Sure it's an open world game but the missions have very strict limits where if you step even a bit away from the area you should be in you get an instant fail. I found it particularly annoying as it happened many times with honest mistakes where I walked into the building I wasn't supposed to or something like that.

edit:

- Realistic/natural lighting combined with realistic movement on blades of grass is a nice touch

Did they really say the lighting is realistic and natural? I mean you may or may not like the artistic choice they made, but it's definitely not natural or realistic.

8pO9oJ3.jpg

Last edited:

cm osi

exploration looks okay, a bit assassin creed like i guess. i really don't like the slow motion fight.
they fell for the "honorable fight" meme, but at least you can choose to be "dishonorable"

Saber

Gold Member
A puzzle must solve a real problem in the world, not be some arbitrary obstacle like random ass targets for to throw your axe because reasons. I guess nordic gods have too much free time.

You know GoW is not a realistic world and does not need to follow any realistic rules, right? Have you being talking with Nordic gods in your free time?

Anyway, RE is not the best way to make examples. RE1 remake(and RE) has a lot of well design puzzles, but neither of them are ever touched. So the game implies you're the only one who ever thouched any of those puzzles. Did this ever pass through your mind?

So asking puzzles to feel "organic" with the world and enviroment is not only stupid, but limiting. The reason for creating puzzles is to test the players mind and think on their feets, using tools they have at their disposal. Devs should be free to use puzzles whatever they want, as long is not something massive and repetitive. It's ok if you dislike or is bad at it, but calling them bad because of a silly reasoning is no way to demoted their puzzles. Even more comparing with a game genre that has nothing to do with it.

Terenty

So asking puzzles to feel "organic" with the world and enviroment is not only stupid, but limiting. The reason for creating puzzles is to test the players mind and think on their feets, using tools they have at their disposal. Devs should be free to use puzzles whatever they want, as long is not something massive and repetitive. It's ok if you dislike or is bad at it, but calling them bad because of a silly reasoning is no way to demoted their puzzles.
So would it be ok, for example, if in MGS 5 Snake had to shoot three goats in the ass in a specific order to open the gates of a base? How about such a puzzle, do you think it would fit the game?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What does he mean the foliage doesn't move when he steps on it?

The entire video the foliage has displacement from the horse and Jin. Some is more subtle than others, as it should be.

What does he mean the foliage doesn't move when he steps on it?

The entire video the foliage has displacement from the horse and Jin. Some is more subtle than others, as it should be.

I just went back and found that portion to see if I misunderstood him the first time

timestamped link

He says he doesn't see foliage pushing and moving with Jin's feet, and then Jin doesn't cause any ripples or splashes as he is walking through water

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just went back and found that portion to see if I misunderstood him the first time

timestamped link

He says he doesn't see foliage pushing and moving with Jin's feet, and then Jin doesn't cause any ripples or splashes as he is walking through water

That was the only part that I saw it happen as well from watching the State of Play again in 4K on my TV last night. Every other part of the video it moves from the horse and Jin's feet. As I said, it varied (the intensity) depending on the foliage type. So either it is by design due to foliage density physics, or one part was a spot that had a bug or earlier build. Every other part of the video it moves just like in RDR2.

The water part I agree with. They should have been more thorough to point out that the foliage did move in other parts, but that one. Would help possibly pinpoint bug or build differences. It just sounded pretty general, and it wasn't, at all.

That was the only part that I saw it happen as well from watching the State of Play again in 4K on my TV last night. Every other part of the video it moves from the horse and Jin's feet. As I said, it varied (the intensity) depending on the foliage type. So either it is by design due to foliage density physics, or one part was a spot that had a bug or earlier build. Every other part of the video it moves just like in RDR2.

The water part I agree with. They should have been more thorough to point out that the foliage did move in other parts, but that one. Would help possibly pinpoint bug or build differences. It just sounded pretty general, and it wasn't, at all.

Honestly I didn’t really even notice it until he said it. I figured maybe this kind of thing as well as a couple lower res textures here or there on non-crucial structures or whatever were just nit picky kinda things and born from current gen constraints.

when the game comes I will be tuning in for the full tech breakdown. The pop-in (or lack of) seems pretty solid for a current open world game

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yes but the first game didn't take itself seriously did it?
I would say original God of War games take themselves more seriously, I don’t remember original games having any comedy relief characters like those two dwarf in new God of War.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not statues, but random runes placed by someone in the most unlikely places for you to throw your axe at and open a random chest. The same illogical shit as shooting goats.

Its not. Its some kinda of stupid comparison.
GoW has statues and objects that are thematically fitting for the game. And the reason of using your axes to do the puzzles is to take advantage of the tools you have at you disposal. Did you ever played games that need you the use of equips to do puzzles? Or when you played Twilit Princess you keep saying to yourself "b-but why should have a puzzle only acessible via the use of my gale bomerang?It's not organic".

Which brings us to that silly comment of yours saying "about gods", as if gods in real even exists or would put puzzles at all.

If anything its an artistic choice and tends to equals to the talk that gods usually tests people.

Last edited:

Terenty

T Terenty Again that Baldur you for the first time pretty much tells you that this game was not going for more "grounded" gameplay that you were looking for.
Make no mistake this game takes itself very seriously. As seriously as Game of Thrones or Witcher for example. Its not some Dragon ball z stuff or anything. So if the devs try to tell this super serious story i expect them to put some effort in the world building as well.
The feeling I have is that he doesn't like it(which is perfectly fine), but its using a terrible excuse to say that.
Its a legitimate criticism the same way as the ridiculous discrepansies between cutscenes Kratos and gameplay Kratos. If you make a game about a god make gameplay reflect it in some way too

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Make no mistake this game takes itself very seriously. As seriously as Game of Thrones or Witcher for example. Its not some Dragon ball z stuff or anything. So if the devs try to tell this super serious story i expect them to put some effort in the world building as well.
Again games can have very serious story with very "gamey" gameplay and LAST thing I want is God of War to play anything like Witcher series. If you want more "grounded" gameplay then there are other games out there for you.

scalman

i allways thought that swang song will be TLOU 2 both visually and with all those new ideas , new ways still to upgrade whats possible on PS4.

JLMC469

Banned
God of War is the best game this gen. And by far the best game SONY’s 1st party has produced in years. Don’t see TLOU2 dethroning it.

brenobnfm

You know GoW is not a realistic world and does not need to follow any realistic rules, right? Have you being talking with Nordic gods in your free time?

Anyway, RE is not the best way to make examples. RE1 remake(and RE) has a lot of well design puzzles, but neither of them are ever touched. So the game implies you're the only one who ever thouched any of those puzzles. Did this ever pass through your mind?

So asking puzzles to feel "organic" with the world and enviroment is not only stupid, but limiting. The reason for creating puzzles is to test the players mind and think on their feets, using tools they have at their disposal. Devs should be free to use puzzles whatever they want, as long is not something massive and repetitive. It's ok if you dislike or is bad at it, but calling them bad because of a silly reasoning is no way to demoted their puzzles. Even more comparing with a game genre that has nothing to do with it.

You misinterpreted about RE. I never said RE 2 or franchise was a textbook example for anything, i just cited a particular puzzle from RE2 because it was the first example that came to my mind to illustrate my point. About puzzles needing to be organic or not, it's clear that you have a more old school opinion, i can't say you're wrong, but in my opinion it's an outdated game philosofy that needs to die at least in this more mature games trend of the last decade, it don't suit them, completely destroy any attempt of realistic worldbuilding.

In the end its a natural evolution for the media in my view, not unsurprisinly, i saw a lot of people saying the God of War and Devil May Cry 5 felt like PS2 games, but in DMC5 case i think that was the goal.

Again games can have very serious story with very "gamey" gameplay and LAST thing I want is God of War to play anything like Witcher series. If you want more "grounded" gameplay then there are other games out there for you.

You can have fantastical gameplay without making it "gamey", it just has to show and follow well established rules of its own universe. People can fly in fantasy, its not jarring if a character flies in a universe that people fly, but a nonsensical puzzle, intrusive or unecessary buttom prompts on the screen and many other things intrinsec to the media will make it "gamey" in a bad way regardless, but worse yet if your game wants to be a serious story, because by definition it requires a stronger suspension of disbelief

Gamey for me can have 2 connotations:

- The game tries to but does a poor job immersing you in its world because it has shortcomings that you instantly relate to the video game media, like invisible walls poorly disguised in the context of the game or unecessary HUD elements on the screen. Ex: God of War.

- The game is a video game ass video game without pretending otherwise, it doesn't "lose" points for being gamey, but you will hardly take their stories seriously in a conventional way. It can also take advantage of this game design philosofy to make it more absurd in many video gamey ways, with a metacommentary or comedic effect. Ex: Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, Nintendo games, etc.

THEAP99

Banned
i allways thought that swang song will be TLOU 2 both visually and with all those new ideas , new ways still to upgrade whats possible on PS4.
Probably will be. Ghost has some great art, but I have a feeling it's going to be quite inconsistent based on that state of play and textures. and lack of detailed animations and such

Last edited:
Probably will be. Ghost has some great art, but I have a feeling it's going to be quite inconsistent based on that state of play and textures. and lack of detailed animations and such

Based on the little I have seen of TLOU2, compared to the State of Play GoT trailer, I would say TLOU2 looks better. That is probably to be expected, given the nature of games (scale and scope differential). Both look GREAT, seriously, don't get me wrong.

And, again, this is me just going off YT clips and social media clips. Who knows when we see it on our own TVs

THEAP99

Banned
Based on the little I have seen of TLOU2, compared to the State of Play GoT trailer, I would say TLOU2 looks better. That is probably to be expected, given the nature of games (scale and scope differential). Both look GREAT, seriously, don't get me wrong.

And, again, this is me just going off YT clips and social media clips. Who knows when we see it on our own TVs
If i had to make any prediction, ghost's colorful and pleasurable art style will look more attractive at first glance for most people. But when it comes to full presentation I think TLOU2 will take the cake as to me visuals involve, consistency, animations, details, polish, and it still seems that the game will have beautiful moments amidst the murky post-apocalyptic setting.
the-last-of-us-ii-screenshot-03-en-us-25mar20.original.jpg
the-last-of-us-part-ii-e3-2018-screen-01-ps4-us-10jul18
the-last-of-us-ii-screenshot-08-en-us-25mar20

But i can say that suckerpunch will be taking the cake when it comes to photo mode LOL. That photo mode is the real deal!

Last edited:

Kumomeme

love with the use of environment to explore than standard waymarker ..it not only make it bit immersive and realistic, but also make less icon/hud on screen ..it made player feel they actualy interact and be part of the world

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This game has 7.5 written all over it.
The combat looks truly average. And the world looks ... bare. Its story, atmosphere and visuals are what make it worth playing.
I think TLOU 2 and GOW will end the gen as being quite clearly a cut or two above the rest of Sony's first party offerings.

Last edited:

GymWolf

other news about the game

• Zelda and Shadow of Colosus was a big inspiration for this game especially for artistic direction, he wanted the colors to be vibrant as possible.
  • The wind is the main way to navigate the game world, there are no markers. He wanted the game to be immersive as possible.
  • We can reduce the shine effect on the items that we can pick up. He made a comparison with Red Ded Redemption which is for him a good and beautiful game but for Ghost of Tsushima they wanted the game to be pleasant as possible to play without having too many superfluous animations which break the rhythm and that is why Jin can pick up items on his horse.
  • The instrument that we see Jin playing in the video will be the only one present in the game and Jason did not want to say what it would be used for.
  • We can hunt animals in the game but there is nothing to gain by doing it. Animals are mainly there to be more immersed in the universe and guiding you.
  • The Standoff mode can be activated anytime even in infiltration.
  • The little tennis balls are called the Jin Resolved Meter when we hit an enemy the bar will load and it will also be used for healing and there are also many other things related to this gauge but he did not want too get into the details.
  • There will be much more stances than the two that we saw in the video, it will be used to apprehend the different types of enemies.
  • The main weapon of the game will be and will remain the katana throughout the game but there will be many other weapons and gadgets. Weapons like the katana or the bow will be displayed on all the outfits of the game but not the smallest ones because there are a lot of outfits in the game and it would represent too much work.
  • If you wear heavy armor you will be less agile so it will make infiltration harder.
  • There are several ways to retrieve the outfits, either through the main story, by doing quests, by buying them in the villages or simply by exploring the world.
  • There are a lot of side stories in the game where you can build more or less strong relationships with different characters to learn more about their stories but it's up to the player's freedom and you can miss them.
  • The music is composed by Shigeru Umebayashi but the game having grown a lot, he realized that he could not do everything alone so they hired a second composer to work with Umebayashi and his name is Ilan Eshkeri.

Ghost of Tsushima Creative Director on Moving Away From Infamous' Karma Meter
“We thought about [a morality meter] because we had the karma system in [Infamous: Second Son], but we realized it was more important to us that we wanted to tell a human story of someone who is this way and has to evolve into something else, versus transform completely into something else,” Connell explained. “He doesn't flip flop back and forth, it muddied it up for us. We really wanted the story to reflect his transformation."
“It definitely plays with the notion of, you're born and raised into this certain way of life. There's expectations of you, the way you should perform. And then at some point, because some events happen, in this case a war, you have to challenge those things. And not everybody's going to love the fact that you're going to challenge an assumption that's made upon your life,” he explained.
“There's definitely important story moments that are more reflective of this change than others. But the reality is that even as you have gotten to some story moments, you can still play the game as this Samurai, you may just be more potent or more powerful. We don't make you choose between [samurai and Ghost],” Connell said.

"When he's a Ghost, he can turn around and play as a samurai because he's always a samurai. All his training, using the Katana, that stuff is buried in him deep. On the stealth [State of Play segement], if you wanted to jump off the roof and start fighting like a samurai, you could totally do that. We don't spec you out and suddenly you can't play as a samurai. He's always at his core, his heart of hearts, a samurai. The Ghost is this legendary warrior that he's evolving into," Connell said.

One of the most frequent questions we insist on asking is the duration of this amusement park.

Voxel had the opportunity to ask Nate Fox, the adventure's creative director, directly, and the response was encouraging, although the artist shied away from needing a specific number.

“It is a difficult question to answer because the world is a large space for anthological stories. We did several tests with people playing about 6 and a half hours a day and the results were very different, many did not finished the main story because they were too busy exploring other aspects of the game”.

Voxel continued: “So can players take, say, 30, 40, 50 or more hours if they do the optional activities and, obviously, less than that on the main route? Is it safe to say that?”, To which Nate replied,“ Yes, absolutely. But I would highly recommend that everyone get off the main route and get lost on Tsushima Island, there is a lot to discover there ”, he said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom