• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] - Ghost of Tsushima State of Play Trailer Reaction: A Swansong for PS4?

brenobnfm

This game like God of War before looks like it has an internal conflict about wanting to be a grounded, realistic game, but at the same time it's gamey as hell with all these indicators polluting the UI and dumbed down gameplay. Seems like i'll be sticking to the likes of Nioh and Sekiro for this kind of setting, which is a shame, because they don't fill that realistic void.

Last edited:

Terenty

Nah, I play RDR2 every day and love it, and I’m still pumped for this due to the setting, music, and art design alone.
Yeah, but you know it wont be anywhere near the same level of world building as rdr2 and you will inevitably start comparing the two games.
And let be honest. Nothing is impossible. You guys are taking the native 4k version of RDR2 on Xbox One X as some impossible achievement.
I'm mostly talking about the lightning, animations, the sheer amount of unique assets, textures etc. Things that require unlimited resources to pull off and i dont see anybody attempting something like this in the near future

This game like God of War before looks like it has an internal conflict about wanting to be a grounded, realistic game, but at the same time it's gamey as hell with all these indicators polluting the UI and dumbed down gameplay. Seems like i'll be sticking to the likes of Nioh and Sekiro for this kind of setting, which is a shame, because they don't fill that realistic void.

In what way does God of War try to be realistic? Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but you play as a Demigod....

brenobnfm

In what way does God of War try to be realistic? Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but you play as a Demigod....

In God of War case i think the word "serious" aplies better than "realistic" for what i meant, it takes itself too seriously for how gamey and silly it is, that's why it ultimately fails narrative wise in comparison to the game it took most of its inspiration, The Last of Us, which is obviously not a realistic game, it has zombies, but it's very mature in the way it treats its themes.

JLMC469

Banned
I think the art direction is what really stands out. IMO, RDR2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn look better.

Great looking game though. Not top 5 on SONY’s list though.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
It's kinda meh graphically. But it always was.
Not sure about "downgrade".
If it will be like Tenchu - will get it.
If like Sekiro - nope.

Vol5

Honestly, it looks boring. R2 to pick up bamboo, x to pay respects, fly-by-wire platforming, casual RPG elements (which amounts to a skill tree, from what I can tell) and a dodgy looking combat system....No population to speak of, no towns to visit from the looks of things, just small villages here and there. I understand where Sucker Punch are coming from with the lore and landscape but it looks like the world has been created at the detriment of meaty gameplay and anything that could be called fresh.

Graphics and music....insane....I give it that, but I'm yet to be convinced this game is a swan song for PS4.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nonsensical puzzles like people built that world knowing they were in a video game, convenient small passages for Atreus, characters acting in the most stupid and braindead way possible (Frey by the end for one), the list goes on.
So having puzzles in games makes it silly!? This puzzles always been part of God of Wars series since the first game.

Also the first time fighting Baldr which was over the top boss fight pretty much told you what type of game this was going to be.

Last edited:

Fake

I'm mostly talking about the lightning, animations, the sheer amount of unique assets, textures etc. Things that require unlimited resources to pull off and i dont see anybody attempting something like this in the near future
Right... now you're hyperboling a little. Lets just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

So having puzzles in games makes it silly!? This puzzles always been part of God of Wars series since the first game.

Depends how they're implemented, how organically they feel in the world. And yes, but God of War until Ascension fully embraced its silliness, so it wasn't incongruent in the old games.

I presume Ghost of Tsushima will have similar problems, on one hand you have spetacular vegetation, on the other hand it has a giant button prompt to break all your immersion and remember you that it's a video game.

Danjin44

Depends how they're implemented, how organically they feel in the world. And yes, but God of War until Ascension fully embraced its silliness, so it wasn't incongruent in the old games.

I presume Ghost of Tsushima will have similar problems, on one hand you have spetacular vegetation, on the other hand it has a giant button prompt to break all your immersion and remember you that it's a video game.
I'm guessing 90% of games will break your immersion because lot of games have that. Also you can still have serious story with with very "gamey"gameplay, just because you have realistic graphics doesn't mean you have to have simulation like gameplay.

brenobnfm

I'm guessing 90% of games will break your immersion because lot of games have that. Also you can still have serious story with with very "gamey"gameplay, just because you have realistic graphics doesn't mean you have to have simulation like gameplay.

All depends on the execution, i don't really think "gamey" gameplay mixes well with a game that takes itself seriously, but i have zero problem with the most gamey gameplay of gamey gameplays in something like Resident Evil 4.

Things like button prompts can exist in a game like GoT, but there are much more subtle and elegant ways to implement it like many others game do, it doesn't need to look like a Ubisoft game, and funnily enough, in the Assassin's Creed games this kind of thing is not that agravating because they have an ingame explanation for it (you're in a simulation), which is not even necessary because no one takes Assassin's Creed seriously.

Danjin44

All depends on the execution, i don't really think "gamey" gameplay mixes well with a game that takes itself seriously, but i have zero problem with the most gamey gameplay of gamey gameplays in something like Resident Evil 4.
I have zero issue with that, in fact I prefer it. Having serious story or having realistic graphics doesn't mean they have to suck all the fun out of the actual gameplay.

Bryank75

Banned
Nonsensical puzzles like people built that world knowing they were in a video game, convenient small passages for Atreus, characters acting in the most stupid and braindead way possible (Frey by the end for one), the list goes on.
What are you on? The puzzles fitted the FANTASY world that GOW is set in, the key word here is FANTASY..... Small passage ways occur in almost all environments

The game was superb and those elements enriched it and guaranteed you were doing more than just fighting hoards of enemies...... GOW always had puzzles of some type and it is in keeping with the themes and setting.

What did Freya do that was 'braindead' I'm super curious???

All of your criticisms seem unmerited.

There is a reason it crushed RDR2 as GOTY that year, it had incredible gameplay that layered upon itself and combat ramped up nicely through the game to get you ready for the Valkyrie and Trials of Muspelheim.

brenobnfm

What are you on? The puzzles fitted the FANTASY world that GOW is set in, the key word here is FANTASY..... Small passage ways occur in almost all environments

The game was superb and those elements enriched it and guaranteed you were doing more than just fighting hoards of enemies...... GOW always had puzzles of some type and it is in keeping with the themes and setting.

What did Freya do that was 'braindead' I'm super curious???

All of your criticisms seem unmerited.

There is a reason it crushed RDR2 as GOTY that year, it had incredible gameplay that layered upon itself and combat ramped up nicely through the game to get you ready for the Valkyrie and Trials of Muspelheim.

These are some great mental gymnastics. Almost every game is a fantasy, not an excuse, the puzzles are arbitrary and inorganic, even if they're thematically fitting. The small passages are too positionally designed for Atreus, this is not subtle.

About Freya actions,
being a mother doesn't grant free pass to act as stupidly as she did in the very ending, especially for a somewhat well composed and rational character until then, its bad writing.

If your game has a different tone and different goals then previous games in the series, but at the same time you have to honor some traditions that do not mesh well with the new game design, then truly reboot it or make a new ip, not this soft reboot approach that GoW 4 went for.

Finally, winning most GOTY awards is not definitive evidence of a game being better, let's see some recent examples:

- Skyrim crushed Dark Souls.
- Walking Dead won in 2012.
- Dragon Age Inquisition won in 2014.

But enjoy your game and let's not derail this thread any further.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
These are some great mental gymnastics. Almost every game is a fantasy, not an excuse, the puzzles are arbitrary and inorganic, even if they're thematically fitting. The small passages are too positionally designed for Atreus, this is not subtle.

About Freya actions,
being a mother doesn't grant free pass to act as stupidly as she did in the very ending, especially for a somewhat well composed and rational character until then, its bad writing.

If your game has a different tone and different goals then previous games in the series, but at the same time you have to honor some traditions that do not mesh well with the new game design, then truly reboot it or make a new ip, not this soft reboot approach that GoW 4 went for.

Finally, winning most GOTY awards is not definitive evidence of a game being better, let's see some recent examples:

No but it is proof that for 99.9% of people none of those things were 'jarring' or out of place... frankly, you are the first and only person I've heard with this complaint and it illustrates how out of touch you are with what is wanted and enjoyed by the majority of core gamers...

I mean did the flying elves really take you out of it? Or the flaming swords that can stretch out to ten feet on chains and return to his hands?
Was the disembodied talking head not a bit jarring?

The suspension of disbelief is key to enjoying fantasy.... so it's obviously not your genre.

Like I am serious... is this a troll or something? It MUST be a troll..... How can it be serious?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I fucking love Digital Foundry. In fact, I wish they'd detach from Eurogamer (which I'm not a fan of) and become independent. I actually love to listen to their technical breakdowns, but also just to hear their opinions on games themselves ( D dark10x in particular). They seem to have great taste in games on top of their technical expertise.

Also, GoT looks good. Gonna be a fun summer.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I really hope the combat plays differently from the AC games or the Ghost gameplay differentiates itself enough. That's my only worry with it right now- everything else, especially the Feudal Japan setting, location, exploration and art direction ticks all the right boxes for me.

EDMIX

In that regard I trust Sucker Punch, I enjoyed most of their games and I’m sooo glad they are not going simulation like gameplay like R* did with RDR2.

Tbh, I didn't have an issue with RDR2 being simulation like, I had an issue with them horrid controls and slow animations that lock you into stuff. They could still have many of the iconography to make it seem real and simulation like without this whole "hold down button to skin, press X to confirm......are you sure you want to skin deer?" So none of that is based on being a simulation as much as its based on Rockstar making some bad choices with the gameplay and controls that never needed to be there.

Last edited:
Sort of off topic but there’s been no further confirmation of which games will be BC/enhanced BC for PS5 has there? I’m interested in this and Days Gone but if they’re getting enhanced versions on PS5 I’m quite happy to wait.

EDMIX

Sort of off topic but there’s been no further confirmation of which games will be BC/enhanced BC for PS5 has there? I’m interested in this and Days Gone but if they’re getting enhanced versions on PS5 I’m quite happy to wait.

None yet. I don't even think they will get "versions" as much as they might get an updates sorta like how you see on PS4 Pro or XBONE X. I think only the top titles would get remasters, as in they literally make a version for it or something, but right now Sony hasn't stated how they'll do it and it will probably be like this gen or last gen, on a game by game basis.

Shmunter

Hopefully the BC enhancements will be pleasing. And the bigger hope is that they are universal and apply to the majority of games automatically. If it is a big deal, I’m sure they will show it off at some point.

brenobnfm

No but it is proof that for 99.9% of people none of those things were 'jarring' or out of place... frankly, you are the first and only person I've heard with this complaint and it illustrates how out of touch you are with what is wanted and enjoyed by the majority of core gamers...

Fancy way of saying lowest common denominator.

Bryank75

Banned
Fancy way of saying lowest common denominator.
Next you'll be saying 'gamers are dead'.

Core gamers are the same people who play Bloodborne and Sekiro or Doom.

Since you have not responded to the rest of my previous comment, I assume you are trolling... cause you have no adequate answer.

brenobnfm

Define this "organic" feel in the world.
Hope is not the same thing as spamming fancy words like "fluid".

A puzzle must solve a real problem in the world, not be some arbitrary obstacle like random ass targets for to throw your axe because reasons. I guess nordic gods have too much free time.

At the end of the sewers section in Resident Evil 2 you must solve a puzzle involving chess pieces, but why is this puzzle there? Because it blocks the access to a restricted area in a facility built by someone. It's not a great puzzle, not hard or complex one, but it makes sense.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
A puzzle must solve a real problem in the world, not be some arbitrary obstacle like random ass targets for to throw your axe because reasons. I guess nordic gods have too much free time.

At the end of the sewers section in Resident Evil 2 you must solve a puzzle involving chess pieces, but why is this puzzle there? Because it blocks the access to a restricted area in a facility built by someone. It's not a great puzzle, not hard or complex one, but it makes sense.
Why is there a puzzle to get to the garage or the attic? LOL FML

About Freya actions,

I get where your coming from yea there were multiple parts that where jarring for a "serious game" I think alot of those type of games have a very hard time sticking to one tone. There was a moment in Detroit became human where it looks like your playing a high action john wick game instead of this serious post modern android type society game.

Some of the best games of any console, is released near the end of its life.

Chrono Trigger and Tales of Phantasia both pushed SNES to its very limits, and being the best games for RPG lovers on that machine IMO. So no surprise that GoS might be such a game. Technically, you can argue that Breath of the Wild is the last game on the WiiU too.

Bryank75

Banned

About Freya actions,

You obviously have no children... most parents would do anything for theirs. The guy who made it is a parent, so he knows..... I'll take his rational over yours, thanks!

Mr. "The puzzles make no sense in GOW but they're ok in RE2...because!"

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The game was superb and those elements enriched it

Actually the puzzles were pretty meh. Sometimes they were even a chore to deal with.

I would prefered a larger, bigger world filled with more different enemies and settings than having puzzles. The game was actually kind of small and corridor like.

There is a reason it crushed RDR2 as GOTY that year,

There is a reason RDR2 it’s the better reviewed game of this generation, crushing any Sony exclusive.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think they'll reveal more. I think both games will look outstanding but it will be clear that they're of the generation shall we say.

Right now, I have a shitload to play so I'm not too fussed about picking these up as single player games immediately. I don't mind waiting for the PS5 patches/versions, or even using the BC on the PS4 but we need to know. If we're talking about a year after release then it's probably not worth waiting.

Bryank75

Banned
Actually the puzzles were pretty meh. Sometimes they were even a chore to deal with.

I would prefered a larger, bigger world filled with more different enemies and settings than having puzzles. The game was actually kind of small and corridor like.

There is a reason RDR2 it’s the better reviewed game of this generation, crushing any Sony exclusive.

I'd expect nothing less than low grade bait like this from you...

Talking about game reviews is funny, coming from someone who prefers Xbox and GOW still beat it in head to head competition.

It wasn't meant to be open-world. Had plenty of enemies, you probably just don't remember them... the witch, the ice-men, the zombie types, the wolves, the warewolves, the armored enemies, the elves, the high elves, ogres, trolls (you fit in here), stone ancient and loads of others.....

Last edited:

J3nga

I don't think swan songs are a thing anymore, times have changed, there's not going to be a huge leap between console generations such as PS1->PS2->PS3, otherwise I think TLOU2 would fit that position a lot better. GoT looks very average to me in every aspect.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It looks great, just not rdr2\horizon great imo.

Some animations and flat rocks texture were the weak point imo.

Oh yeah and the complete lack of ragdoll make death animation with enemies that glue on the ground rough as fuck.

Last edited:

scalman

not sure. that gameplay looked good but for me nowhere close good as Horizon was or even Days Gone. maybe with real game it would look better , but its kinda does all stuff that allready is there. Horizon had so much wow stuff that could blow your mind how did they dod it. Nothing that impressive in this game.

Top Bottom