• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] F1 2021: Xbox Series X|S and PS5

Compared to how weak was PS4 when it was released, this time its totally different story.

Honestly, if back in 2019 you wrote that PS5 will have 8c/16t Ryzen2 3.5ghz, GPU comparable to RTX 2080,16gb gddr6, ultrafast SSD, 3d audio, dualsense all for 399$ you would probably be banned for trolling😅

Funny enough some rumors had the PS5 going in the other direction. Boy were they wrong as heck.

Klik

Even by 2012 Jaguar CPUs were very anemic, it's no wonder that PC AAA games until about 2016 ran mostly fine on Core 2 Quad and current cross gen games are mostly fine on Sandy Bridge QCs. The change from underpowered tablet tier 2012 CPUs to mid-high tier 2019 CPUs, it's night and day.
And crazy as it is, even with this low-end Jaguar at 1.6ghz we still had most of online shooters running at 1080p/60fps like BF5, Apex, COD Warzone/Cold War. So i guess with PS5 we can for sure enjoy 60fps online shooters for next 7 years😁

AnotherOne

ArLCNTG.gif

SomeGit

Didnt realize we had so many F1 fans on this forum. Its good to see as its a great sport, the games arent bad either.
I liked last year's game a bit more from what I played at the moment, the steering model seems a tad too understeery still and the killer curbs seem random at times, while last year it behaved a bit more like a downforce monster that F1 cars really are.
But I'm very nitpicky after the wonderful Formula Hybrid mods on Assetto Corsa it's been hard re-adapting to Cody's F1 games, to be fair to them they are heads above compared to other sports titles.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Completely agree! Dudes posted videos of the XSX smoking! I know not every platform gets the universal praise as PlayStation but there is no need to lie about other consoles.
Oh man those smoking XSX vids were hilarious. I mean it was painfully obvious that someone had just vaped into the console right before starting filming, but so many people on here desperately wanted to believe the vids were real lol. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
It clearly shows constant tearing on both during replays, that's weird he only mentions the series x during commentary. They are also both uncapped according to the photage.
Both quite shitty as well
You point out an uncapped frame rate as an issue, but I’d argue it’s a positive. VRR means you’ll get the higher frame rate, and BC means this game will get an instant frame rate boost on the next gen consoles or pro console.
It's only for replays

Not everthing is determined by TF power. PS5 has higher clocks leading to high pixel and polygons performance (20% higher). What most people don't know is that XSX has actually downgraded ROPs while PS5 ROPs are faster and better (RDNA1 ROPs are actually better than the downgraded ROPs in RDNA2 GPUs, yeah Microsoft don't talk about it in their PR checkbox list).

Source about downgraded RDNA2 ROPs: Locuza (ironically a known Xbox fan):

Also thanks to higher cache by TF PS5 has a better CU efficiency to better exploit those Tflops. Some games will perform better on XSX (most games), but some will perform better on PS5. Some of use already theorized this before the release of the consoles.

I really don't think you understand what you read there at all. The PS5 is no more better at utilizing its available TFLOPs than Xbox Series X is. No matter how inaccurate what you just said is, this piece of inaccurate information will still forever live in infamy.

And you just actually said the ROPs in RDNA 1 are superior to the ROPs in RDNA 2????? Are you even aware that the RB+ in Series consoles quite literally doubled their throughput over what was possible with RDNA 1's render backends. The render backends below are what's inside of PS5. RX 5700XT has 16 of them, PS5 also has 16.

YEN5Ooe.jpg

The RB+ below are what's inside of Series X. RX 6800XT and RX 6900XT have 16 of them, Series X has 8 of them.

lohOZbq.png

Both consoles have 64 ROPs. The PS5 has more render back ends than the Series X (16 vs 8), but each of those PS5 Render Backends are half as capable compared to a single Series X render backend.

Each of the PS5's 16 Render Backends are packing 4 ROPs.
Each of the Series X's 8 Render Backend (RB+) are packing 8 ROPs.

PS5 pays a lot more in terms of silicon area for its render backends not because they are better, but because they are worse, and so you quite literally need double the amount of them just to do what Series X can achieve with just 4.

Because Series X's Render Backends are superior, it only needs 4 of them per shader engine and just 2 per shader array.

Because PS5's render backends are inferior right out of the gate, if it didn't have 8 per shader engine and 4 per shader array, the PS5 GPU would literally only have 32 ROPS. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm dying that you literally claimed they were downgraded in RDNA 2 solely out of your lack of understanding of what that tweet was saying. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Having 16 of those inferior RDNA 1 render backends is how RX 5700XT gets its 64 ROPS.

Having 16 of those superior RDNA 2 render backends in RX 6800XT is how that card gets its 128 ROPs.

Go ahead and tell me again how Render Backends that are performing 2x less work per cycle are "faster" and "better?"

In the Navi 21 chip, they've been given a much needed update and each ROP partition now handles 8 pixels per cycle in 32-bit color, and 4 pixels in 64-bit.

Edited to correct me accidentally saying the ps5 and series x have 32 ROPs, which caused me to screw up the render backend counts as well. Point still stands, Series X's RB+ are better than what's inside the PS5. It didn't need as much silicon area for ROPs because the render backend design on Series X is a clear step up from what's used in PS5. It's a more efficient design that gets 2x more work done per cycle.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Last gen looked like this:

Parity?? WTF! I'm so pissed! it means they could've done much more with the extra teraflops

Current gen looks like this:

Ha! parity! just what we expected. Is this what 12TF gives you?

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?
Last gen we rarely got parity. The PS4 was usually outpacing the XBO in one area or another, for most games. It did change somewhat with the XBO X, which usually outperformed the Pro.

Of course, this gen we had a shit show before launch with many Xbox fanboys trying to claim that the Series X would wipe the floor with the PS5 when it came to resolution and frame rate. That the 18% advantage the Series X had in Tflops would be a 20%-40% performance increase in all games. Well, that didn't happen, so really parity is almost like a win for the PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom