• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] F1 2021: Xbox Series X|S and PS5

cormack12

Gold Member

F1 2021: Xbox Series X|S and PS5
XSX/PS5: Quality mode runs at 4k/60 x TAA. They didn't notice many frames on either whch aren't true 4K
XSX/PS5: Performance mode runs at 1440/120
XSS: Quality mode only runs at 1080/60

Nothing between PS5 and XSX, one discrepancy at 5 mins shadow detail better on ps5

Ray tracing is very expensive based on PC comparisons. Ray tracing in game on consoles seems to be intermittent and situational (cockpit, pre race, fly bys) while gameplay just cubemaps etc. at 30fps. Series S also seems to have ray tracing in the same places as the premium models.

Performance
PS5 and XSX handle 60fps with no real issues or drops. However, both PS5 and XSX struggle with instant replays and frame rate drops into low 30s at times. Slightly more of an issue with the Series X as it also doesn't appear to cap the frame rate causing tearing (11:30). Series S maintains its 60fps also.

The 120fps mode in gameplay also maintains solid/stable frame rate on both premium models. Did notice literally one or two torn frames on Monaco on Series X

Arioco

8ANk.gif

Exactly.

Last gen looked like this:

Parity?? WTF! I'm so pissed! it means they could've done much more with the extra teraflops

Current gen looks like this:

Ha! parity! just what we expected. Is this what 12TF gives you?

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Not everthing is determined by TF power. PS5 has higher clocks leading to high pixel and polygons performance (20% higher). What most people don't know is that XSX has actually downgraded ROPs while PS5 ROPs are faster and better (RDNA1 ROPs are actually better than the downgraded ROPs in RDNA2 GPUs, yeah Microsoft don't talk about it in their PR checkbox list).

Source about downgraded RDNA2 ROPs: Locuza (ironically a known Xbox fan):
Xbox Series/RDNA2 GPUs have half the amount of Z/Stencil ROPs per SE vs. PS5/RDNA1. PS5 pays a lot more for the Render Backend, area wise.

Also thanks to higher cache by TF PS5 has a better CU efficiency to better exploit those Tflops. Some games will perform better on XSX (most games), but some will perform better on PS5. Some of use already theorized this before the release of the consoles.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Not everthing is determined by TF power. PS5 has higher clocks leading to high pixel and polygons performance (20% higher). What most people don't know is that XSX has actually downgraded ROPs while PS5 ROPs are faster and better (RDNA1 ROPs are actually better than the downgraded ROPs in RDNA2 GPUs, yeah Microsoft don't talk about it in their PR checkbox list).

Source about downgraded RDNA2 ROPs: Locuza (ironically a known Xbox fan):

Also thanks to higher cache by TF PS5 has a better CU efficiency to better exploit those Tflops. Some games will perform better on XSX (most games), but some will perform better on PS5. Some of use already theorized this before the release of the consoles.

I think you missed the point entirely

Game development is about focusing on a target (Resolution + Framerate) and getting the specified hardware to hit that target the best it can. What we see here is excellent platform optimization. It is not a strange coincidence that they both run identically lol.

It does look like somebody at Codemasters just forgot to tick a box on the Series X version concerning the replays, it's not the first time Codemasters have done exactly that and it'll likely be fixed pretty quickly by them.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Seems nice technically, but F1 card are probably most boring cars to play, so meh. Will pass
Imagine if...

DF choose to do a new video comparing the performance in Replay mode like they did with Control to highlight the Series X advantage in Photo mode... well framerate in Replay mode is very different between the machines.

Let's see if the same weight holds in this case.

:messenger_fire: 🤷‍♂️
I guess not, because they got a lot of shit for that.

I am still waiting on promised video about Control: DE where it suppose to have now fixed issues on XSX (from system updates only), I am interested in that. And no fucking messing with replay/photo mode pls.

Lysandros

Imagine if...

DF choose to do a new video comparing the performance in Replay mode like they did with Control to highlight the Series X advantage in Photo mode... well framerate in Replay mode is very different between the machines.

I just wanted to quote this post for no special reason... ;)

Klik

And to think that jaguar was holding things back a ton. Amazing how much the Zen 2 CPUs add to these systems.
Yeah + 3d audio chip,Kraken decompression chip and SSD, all 3 reduce a load on CPU a lot. Jaguar had to reserve a lot of its cores for audio, decompression and to "help" HDD

Last edited:
Yeah + 3d audio chip,Kraken decompression chip and SSD, all 3 reduce a load on CPU a lot. Jaguar had to reserve a lot of its cores for audio, decompression and to "help" HDD

I don't mean to troll but it's almost like they flipped a switch with these CPUs. So many games are playable at 60FPs which is crazy to see on consoles.

SomeGit

And to think that jaguar was holding things back a ton. Amazing how much the Zen 2 CPUs add to these systems.
Even by 2012 Jaguar CPUs were very anemic, it's no wonder that PC AAA games until about 2016 ran mostly fine on Core 2 Quad and current cross gen games are mostly fine on Sandy Bridge QCs. The change from underpowered tablet tier 2012 CPUs to mid-high tier 2019 CPUs, it's night and day.

Last edited:
Even by 2012 Jaguar CPUs were very anemic, it's no wonder that PC AAA games until about 2016 ran mostly fine on Core 2 Quad and current cross gen games are mostly fine on Sandy Bridge QCs. The change from underpowered tablet tier 2012 CPUs to mid-high tier 2019 CPUs, it's night and day.

I know the upgrade in performance is tremendous. Games run extremely well on these two systems.

Disclaimer: I'm talking about FPS BTW.

JLB

Banned
Imagine if...

Go to doctor dude.
Your obsession with DF is not fine. Not at all.

Klik

I don't mean to troll but it's almost like they flipped a switch with these CPUs. So many games are playable at 60FPs which is crazy to see on consoles.
Compared to how weak was PS4 when it was released, this time its totally different story.

Honestly, if back in 2019 you wrote that PS5 will have 8c/16t Ryzen2 3.5ghz, GPU comparable to RTX 2080,16gb gddr6, ultrafast SSD, 3d audio, dualsense all for 399$ you would probably be banned for trolling😅

Last edited:
Top Bottom