• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - The Best Ways to Play on Next-Gen Consoles (Video)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What's "true next-gen feature set" exactly? Well certainly not the cache scrubbers, spu like Tempest engine, hardware heavy custom I/O complex etc, because one particular machine doesn't have them right?.. ;) I think the main problem still is the unconditional love story with Microsoft's mostly retracted PR and almost fetishistic worship of one particular GPU metric at expense of everything else. The road until the end of the generation will be very though for the 'believers', full of conspiracies and in the end copium.
Microsoft talked about other hardware specs and features just as much as the GPU TFLOP figure.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We are talking about loading times . And yes, this is the first game to show such a difference in load times. And the first PS4 (with HDD) loads almost as fast as XS with SSD.

That said, even though it is not the first game that performs better on PS5, in terms of differences in favor of PS5 vs XSX, it is a case that is clearly far from the general norm of what we have been seeing after a year and half on multiplatform comparisons. Which says a lot about From optimization work..
This isn't the first/only game actually. Resident Evil was another.

Darsxx82

"Xbox Series X clocked in a load time of 8 seconds and 47 milliseconds in Resident Evil Village, allowing PlayStation 5 the chance to show off its impressive SSD architecture, cutting the load time down to 1 sec and 57 milliseconds"

You have better sources than the one you put that give you that in XSX RE 8 it loads in 4~5 seconds.

From there, I repeat, IS NOTHING LIKE WHAT HAPPENS with ER. Especially a situation where PS4 with HDD loads at the same time as XS with SSD (and 3x faster than XBO) and that on PC any sata SSD, slower than the XS, loads the same or even faster than on PS5.

You add 2+2 and logic tells you that they have done something wrong on the XBOX platforms. That you want to ignore those details and also the general norm in 200+ games released during 1 year and a half (where there are many games that load even faster in XS) and you prefer to believe and make believe that ER is the example of the real differences and the rest is not worth..... OK, it's your choice and you should know the reason 🙃

S0ULZB0URNE

You have better sources than the one you put that give you that in XSX RE 8 it loads in 4~5 seconds.

From there, I repeat, IS NOTHING LIKE WHAT HAPPENS with ER. Especially a situation where PS4 with HDD loads at the same time as XS with SSD (and 3x faster than XBO) and that on PC any sata SSD, slower than the XS, loads the same or even faster than on PS5.

You add 2+2 and logic tells you that they have done something wrong on the XBOX platforms. That you want to ignore those details and also the general norm in 200+ games released during 1 year and a half (where there are many games that load even faster in XS) and you prefer to believe and make believe that ER is the example of the real differences and the rest is not worth..... OK, it's your choice and you should know the reason 🙃
It's worse but you are trolling...

From the link.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
4 or 5 teams sent to help it as well.
I do admire Staten and the work he did on Halo before (Halo: ODST is shockingly good, urban warfare on Xbox 360, imagine a XSX exclusive sequel 🤯), I just wonder how bad was the situation with the game in 2019-2020… Craig meme was a convenient excuse IMHO.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Should be yes but if they can't then lower the resolution until it locks to 60fps.

People are choosing the last generation version to get steady go's which should tell FROM SOFTWARE what gamers want.
I think if they picked a single default (well maybe even dropped the last generation consoles) instead of quality vs performance they may also make their job easier and provide a better solution.

I think a lot of people that expect more and more HW variety supported by games (cross generation, consoles snd PC day and date, etc…) as well as tons of configuration options / profiles and high performance and polish at the same time underestimate how complex and time consuming it is to do and to verify/ensure it is bug free and how small changes start costing more and more due to the complex machine they setup. Either they do not develop for a living or they do and have an egomaniacal complex (not sure how much in reality they live).

Not saying it is not possible to do better than what FROM did, but it is very costly to do and unless you have unlimited time and budget it will tend to cause other issues (some which may hurt gameplay, story, lore, etc… suffering from budget and attention cuts).

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's Horizon (with spoilers) in case anyone wants to click.

I was asking SoulzBourne to post something from Elden Ring with similar draw distances, scales etc.
Hey so my post got deleted (rightfully) but remains in your response is it possible for you to edit it just to delete the link to avoid spoiling innocent wanderer here ?
You can just delete the links not the rest of the post that was my mistake and I don't want to hide it.

tassletine

It'll get better. I was very pleasantly surprised at how different Sekiro looks now, when booting it up the other day. At launch that game was very janky.

Mr Moose

It's nice to have, but we're not talking minutes, we are talking seconds. Gives me time to read the hints.
Looking at the PS4 version, I think we could see improvements in loading on Series consoles and PS5.
Maybe the Series consoles will hit PS5 current times and PS5 will Demon's Souls it.

I think it’s embarrassing that a developer so focused on difficulty and therefore every move matters but gives you dogshit performance on every platform including PC. To the point that Alex from DF says the game should not have even been released yet.

It makes no logical sense. If you want to make a game like this you need tech to match it.

Their tech team is horrible and I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of accessibility options has more to do with their inability to really balance a game from a tech perspective too. Smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:

Godfavor

There is misinformation about the XSX loading times. After the initial load time in elden ring which is about 15-18 seconds, respawn load times and fast travel are about 7-12 seconds at most. Tested it myself

ethomaz

Banned
There is misinformation about the XSX loading times. After the initial load time in elden ring which is about 15-18 seconds, respawn load times and fast travel are about 7-12 seconds at most. Tested it myself
Same for PS5 it is lower than what DF reported in most cases.

That is exactly why DF choose the same loading place for comparison and called it average and not minimum or maximum… to show the difference… both machines have lower minimum and higher maximum but the difference is there yet.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Correct. Game also supports quick resume.

PR victories are for those who think a couple of seconds loading is now the most important feature, desperation. DF state clearly their preferred way to play, with good reason.
So far the recorded death rate that i have been able to find is 1 death per every 5.75 minutes. Also according to most the game is roughly 80 hours long. Lastly the load time for XSX is about 17 sec. With these data points we can say how long you will on average sit infront of a loading screen during your run through the game.

80*60=4800 minuets of game.
4800÷5.75= 834.8 deaths per run
834.8×17 = 14191 seconds loading
14191÷ 60= 236.5 minutes loading
236.5÷ 60= 3.94 hours loading after death.

Now if we assume you fast travel around once every 20 minutes using the same formula you get 1.13 hours.

Thats over 5 hours of loading over the course of your game. I think thats a pretty big deal, especially if you suck at the game.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So far the recorded death rate that i have been able to find is 1 death per every 5.75 minutes. Also according to most the game is roughly 80 hours long. Lastly the load time for XSX is about 17 sec. With these data points we can say how long you will on average sit infront of a loading screen during your run through the game.

Now if we assume you fast travel around once every 20 minutes using the same formula you get 1.13 hours.

Thats over 5 hours of loading over the course of your game. I think thats a pretty big deal, especially if you suck at the game.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Riky

$MSFT

It isn't 17 second loading, as others have confirmed it's normally 6-10 I've found, someone else said 7-12. Sorry you worked out all that for nothing. You can also avoid the initial load with Quick Resume so your maths wouldn't stand up regardless, but thanks for your concern and dedication.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
are there no limits to what VRR can improve?

The only thing VRR can't improve is a negative attitude

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Hey so my post got deleted (rightfully) but remains in your response is it possible for you to edit it just to delete the link to avoid spoiling innocent wanderer here ?
You can just delete the links not the rest of the post that was my mistake and I don't want to hide it.

Sure, done.

Lastly the load time for XSX is about 17 sec.

Only for first time loads.

Fast travel is faster, and I'm gonna assume death reloads are even faster cause you're reloading in the same, or a close, spot.

Not that it excuses From's sloppy effort.

1exk8x.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We got people warring and doing maths for loading times when half the people playing the game on ps5 who are really into the game are probably using the ps4 version.

how’s the loading of the PS4 version on ps5?

why aren’t people just playing this incredible game instead of warring over it?

it’s that good it destroys all warring possibilities lol.

Last edited:
The only thing VRR can't improve is a negative attitude

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Sure, done.

Only for first time loads.

Fast travel is faster, and I'm gonna assume death reloads are even faster cause you're reloading in the same, or a close, spot.

Not that it excuses From's sloppy effort.

1exk8x.png
I just plugged in the data i had. So based on what you provided it would be about 3.5 hours loading with PS5 being about half of that.

We got people warring and doing maths for loading times when half the people playing the game on ps5 who are really into the game are probably using the ps4 version.

how’s the loading of the PS4 version on ps5?

why aren’t people just playing this incredible game instead of warring over it?

it’s that good it destroys all warring possibilities lol.
Your the one warring with the holier-than-thou post. If you got something to say say it to me pussy. I was responding to someone downplaying the loading difference with actual data. If it doesn't bother you to sit infron of a loading screen for 5 hours cool, just thought some would like to know what it was. And you could run the numbers for ps4 as well if you would like to ADD information to folks trying to decide whats best for THEM to play.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just plugged in the data i had. So based on what you provided it would be about 3.5 hours loading with PS5 being about half of that.

And if From optimizes it like BB's load via patches, it'll get even quicker.

Again, none of this excuses the lack of decent optimization on Xbox in the first place.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Can you do the maths on how many of those playtime hours will be below 60fps with stuttering on the PS5 vs a completely smooth experience the entire time on the series X?

The frame rate seems to pretty much never stay at 60fps, ever, therefore playlength - loading times = stuttery frame rate on PS5.

VRR is a good thing, and many people who downplay it now will praise it when/if the PS5 gets it. It’s legit amazing. A constantly fluctuating 50-60fps feels like a completely stable frame rate.

Go and ask any pc master race player if they’d prefer loading times to be 5 seconds faster or gsync/free sync on a game that struggles to hit its capped frame rate and you’ll struggle to find a single person prefer the faster loading.

Can you do the maths on how many of those playtime hours will be below 60fps with stuttering on the PS5 vs a completely smooth experience the entire time on the series X?

The frame rate seems to pretty much never stay at 60fps, ever, therefore playlength - loading times = stuttery frame rate on PS5.

VRR is a good thing, and many people who downplay it now will praise it when/if the PS5 gets it. It’s legit amazing. A constantly fluctuating 50-60fps feels like a completely stable frame rate.

Go and ask any pc master race player if they’d prefer loading times to be 5 seconds faster or gsync/free sync on a game that struggles to hit its capped frame rate and you’ll struggle to find a single person prefer the faster loading.
I cant speak for everyone but i personally moved from the perfect frame rate of the PS4 version to the PS5 version because of loading. I suck at souls games so for ME it was worth it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I cant speak for everyone but i personally moved from the perfect frame rate of the PS4 version to the PS5 version because of loading. I suck at souls games so for ME it was worth it.
I couldn’t handle a game with a frame rate that unstable without VRR/Gsync.

I just don’t see how anyone can hand on heart say that they prefer a worse experience for 99% of the time just for a slightly faster 1% of the time. Even if you’re absolute trash at the game you’re gonna spend more time alive than dead, and that time is spent with an unsteady stuttery frame rate without VRR.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Your the one warring with the holier-than-thou post. If you got something to say say it to me pussy. I was responding to someone downplaying the loading difference with actual data. If it doesn't bother you to sit infron of a loading screen for 5 hours cool, just thought some would like to know what it was. And you could run the numbers for ps4 as well if you would like to ADD information to folks trying to decide whats best for THEM to play.
Dude, chill. I got no problem with talking to you directly I should have quoted you.

im trying to say, enjoy the game and the reality is…most people playing this game who give a shit about souls games are playing the PS4 version that doesn’t show a loading advantage. No need to sit there and do maths to just join on a console warring agenda.

the games amazing, yes 5 hours over an entire play time would be considerable but in reality it’s something that people won’t even think about too much when they are loving the game. We used to sit through 40 second to 1 minute loading times on oblivion and shit.

honestly though, take some time and think if you want to come at me and call me names man. You don’t need to put out that energy into the world and against random people on the Internet. It ain’t worth it.

all good.

I couldn’t handle a game with a frame rate that unstable without VRR/Gsync.

I just don’t see how anyone can hand on heart say that they prefer a worse experience for 99% of the time just for a slightly faster 1% of the time. Even if you’re absolute trash at the game you’re gonna spend more time alive than dead, and that time is spent with an unsteady stuttery frame rate without VRR.
Its not about the alive vs dead part, its the back to back to back dying on bosses that are unbearable. Even skilled (speed runners) players have been dying many times in a row vs bosses on thier first runs. After dying a shit ton to Margit i switched back to the PS5 version and havent looked back. Trust me if the PS5 supported VRR i would love it, but it dosent. Just becasue it dosnt have VRR dosent mea nthe value of the loading isnt there.

Dude, chill. I got no problem with talking to you directly I should have quoted you.

im trying to say, enjoy the game and the reality is…most people playing this game who give a shit about souls games are playing the PS4 version that doesn’t show a loading advantage. No need to sit there and do maths to just join on a console warring agenda.

the games amazing, yes 5 hours over an entire play time would be considerable but in reality it’s something that people won’t even think about too much when they are loving the game. We used to sit through 40 second to 1 minute loading times on oblivion and shit.

honestly though, take some time and think if you want to come at me and call me names man. You don’t need to put out that energy into the world and against random people on the Internet. It ain’t worth it.

all good.
Appreciate the response, just had my coffee. I dont see how its warring if i am provinding data to help inform people when making a decision on how to play. I personally chose the PS5 version see below. VRR is a real advantage as is loading, i dont see why people cant accept that some will prefer on over the other. There is no need to downplay either. Also take your own advice man, you called me a console warrior for voicing my opinion on the subject matter, i even provided data and all my calculations for how i came to my conclusion. Like i said before, if you have a contrary opinion lets discuss instead of the passive agressive hollier-than-thou attitude.

Its not about the alive vs dead part, its the back to back to back dying on bosses that are unbearable. Even skilled (speed runners) players have been dying many times in a row vs bosses on thier first runs. After dying a shit ton to Margit i switched back to the PS5 version and havent looked back. Trust me if the PS5 supported VRR i would love it, but it dosent. Just becasue it dosnt have VRR dosent mea nthe value of the loading isnt there.

Mr Moose

What? Completely smooth? It never is don't make shit up.
VRR does NOT improve performance, it does NOT magically make it to locked 60fps, it matches the Hz with fps.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Appreciate the response, just had my coffee. I dont see how its warring if i am provinding data to help inform people when making a decision on how to play. I personally chose the PS5 version see below. VRR is a real advantage as is loading, i dont see why people cant accept that some will prefer on over the other. There is no need to downplay either. Also take your own advice man, you called me a console warrior for voicing my opinion on the subject matter, i even provided data and all my calculations for how i came to my conclusion. Like i said before, if you have a contrary opinion lets discuss instead of the passive agressive hollier-than-thou attitude.

Coffee bringing out the demon in you! Haha 😄

Yeah, people will have their priorities which I completely understand.

I just hope from soft patch all versions and everyone can have the best experience possible with this incredible game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
VRR does NOT improve performance, it does NOT magically make it to locked 60fps, it matches the Hz with fps.
It is a bit weird that the same people that says that 30fps hurts the eyes and 30fps vs 60fps is a juggernaut different in motion fidelity says VRR is fine when the motion fidelity keep continuous changing between 30-60fps lol

I mean people advocated framerate is part of the graphical fidelity of a game due the motion clarity that VRR doesn't hide.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just becasue it dosnt have VRR dosent mea nthe value of the loading isnt there.
No one is saying there’s no value in faster loading. Absolutely zero people. What some of us are saying is that a few extra seconds of loading is fine when the trade off is a stable feeling frame rate with no stuttering.

Show you don’t understand VRR without saying you don’t understand VRR lol

Last edited:

Boglin

I mean people advocated framerate is part of the graphical fidelity of a game due the motion clarity that VRR doesn't hide.
I'm just happy that a lot of people are becoming aware of motion clarity at all. With more people caring about it, hopefully more effort will go into improving it on new newer displays.

No one is saying there’s no value in faster loading. Absolutely zero people. What some of us are saying is that a few extra seconds of loading is fine when the trade off is a stable feeling frame rate with no stuttering.

Show you don’t understand VRR without saying you don’t understand VRR lol
But its not a few extra seconds, it hours. I understand YOU prefer the XsX VRR solution and thats fine. I prefer the PS5 loading advantage. Nothing is wrong with either choice. Why does this bother you? Its like you taking offense to someone liking mustard over ketchup on a hot dog.

Top Bottom