• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - The Best Ways to Play on Next-Gen Consoles (Video)

Peter2448

Neo Member
Is there someone who could explain me why From Software is not locking the framerate for the quality mode? I am not that much into tech but wouldn't it be better to lock the FPS to 30 than to let it fluctuate like this?

From a perspective of a developer, is it hard to implement a FPS cap?

twilo99

Is this the first time they've admitted that VRR is the way? Its been obvious to me for a while now since VRR is the only way my 6800xt can do warzone, but it felt like there was a lot of resistance in the console space saying that its a bad thing or whatever

Last edited:
If you push a title with shiny marketing material, and giant development budgets people expect something...who`d have thought.

no one expected anything else from From and you still have nothing better to do than to make this about Infinite....
Talk about being butthurt.
That's just a pathetic comeback, people were expecting 343 to blow away the world after Halo 5?
Talk about double standards

The engine is very impressive. Unlike some, I know better than to judge a game engine on purely graphics flashiness alone. A game engine isn't just how flashy the graphics look (and Halo Infinite does look great btw), but what the engine enables from a gameplay and design standpoint. The scale of the game, the geometric density of the environments, the freedom of access and movement possibilities that you have in the environment along with the number of enemies and the types of fights you can have, the ability to go to the very top most point of the map or the highest up point in the sky and drop down on an enemy patrol or enemy base. The ability to see a battle happening between at full gameplay performance rate (same as if you were up close) far out into the distance, and then be able to arrive and shift the tides of that battle.

The ability for the grapple to affect and interact with everything. Every piece of the environment, every weapon, nearly every enemy, nearly every explosive fusion core. The way very important objectives in the distance just appear to always be in full quality no matter how far away you are compared to the clever way they use LODs on less significant detail depending on your distance from an object. Their LOD system is super impressive, and the engine as a whole is only going to keep getting better. Shit, the game's campaign even runs at 120fps with all that it does. The game engine is VERY impressive.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this the first time they've admitted that VRR is the way? Its been obvious to me for a while now since VRR is the only way my 6800xt can do warzone, but it felt like there was a lot of resistance in the console space saying that its a bad thing or whatever

This is the first time they've openly cited a case where VRR propagates the version which has the lower average frame rate to a higher position.

DJ12

Yep I don't think From knew how to use the Xbox velocity architecture because there is simply no reason it takes so long to load on Xbox.
That's on Microsoft not them though. These features should be transparent and just work.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's on Microsoft not them though. These features should be transparent and just work.
I disagree, it could simply be a difference in approach, Ms could've adopted the road of giving more controls to the dev with the VA contrary to sony for example.
And more control induce more optimization needed but the possibility to push things further than standard "straight of the box" use.
I am not saying it is what is happenning here but it is only a speculation about a possible explanation.

Lognor

Banned
This is the FIRST game making me wish for vrr on ps5.
But it should be locked 60 or at least have optional 30fps or 40fps locks
I reads somewhere that VRR might be coming this month to PS5?? VRR just landed on Sony tvs so could be! DF should take another look when/if the PS5 gets VRR

Darsxx82

It's not on the platform holder to make their apis properly?
It would make sense to criticize MS if there were a series of cases comparable to those seen in Elden Ring.
The reality is that there is no other case like it and the general rule is maximum equality when it comes to loading times. It's even not uncommon to see cases where XSeries load times are even faster.

If all the Studios have no problems and only From shows them... The logical thing is to start ruling out guilt in MS

S0ULZB0URNE

It would make sense to criticize MS if there were a series of cases comparable to those seen in Elden Ring.
The reality is that there is no other case like it and the general rule is maximum equality when it comes to loading times. It's even not uncommon to see cases where XSeries load times are even faster.

If all the Studios have no problems and only From shows them... The logical thing is to start ruling out guilt in MS
This is the 1st game to perform worse on Xbox Series?

assurdum

Banned
I can think of one reason, From not really giving a shit about the Xbox version. It basically feels like they made sure it runs and that is about all the work that went into it.
Yeah because From games typically runs flawless and they are pure gems tech wise in every platform from awhile. Can't be on Xbox it's the best they can do knowing them. Lol.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Not visually nor is it close to the scale.

It .. does though. They're completely unrelated kinds of game but Halo pretty convincingly has longer draw distances, you can traverse the world a lot faster in flying vehicles (i-e a lot more streaming data much faster) graphically it looks better then ER but that just might be art direction.

And at the very least, if you don't agree with the above, you can in no way deny that it runs a hell of a lot better in 60hz and also has a great 120hz mode.

Elden Ring has a 60hz mode in name only, unless you're playing the PS4 version on PS5.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

This is the 1st game to perform worse on Xbox Series?
We are talking about loading times . And yes, this is the first game to show such a difference in load times. And the first PS4 (with HDD) loads almost as fast as XS with SSD.

That said, even though it is not the first game that performs better on PS5, in terms of differences in favor of PS5 vs XSX, it is a case that is clearly far from the general norm of what we have been seeing after a year and half on multiplatform comparisons. Which says a lot about From optimization work..

Slower everything on PC and the game loads much faster than Xbox. This is for sure a FROM problem.

S0ULZB0URNE

We are talking about loading times . And yes, this is the first game to show such a difference in load times. And the first PS4 (with HDD) loads almost as fast as XS with SSD.

That said, even though it is not the first game that performs better on PS5, in terms of differences in favor of PS5 vs XSX, it is a case that is clearly far from the general norm of what we have been seeing after a year and half on multiplatform comparisons. Which says a lot about From optimization work..
It isn't the only game to load 2+ times faster on PS5.
The PS5's SSD is over 2x faster.
If a game isn't loading at least 2x faster... than the PS5 version isn't optimized.
It .. does though. They're completely unrelated kinds of game but Halo pretty convincingly has longer draw distances, you can traverse the world a lot faster in flying vehicles (i-e a lot more streaming data much faster) graphically it looks better then ER but that just might be art direction.

And at the very least, if you don't agree with the above, you can in no way deny that it runs a hell of a lot better in 60hz and also has a great 120hz mode.

Elden Ring has a 60hz mode in name only, unless you're playing the PS4 version on PS5.
It's world doesn't have the scale of Elden Ring.
It's visuals aren't as good.
The foliage,the weather affects the animation to name a few things are much better with Elden Ring.
If we add the visuals with Elden Ring's boss battles, it gets real bad for Infinite.

Last edited:

DJ12

I disagree, it could simply be a difference in approach, Ms could've adopted the road of giving more controls to the dev with the VA contrary to sony for example.
And more control induce more optimization needed but the possibility to push things further than standard "straight of the box" use.
I am not saying it is what is happenning here but it is only a speculation about a possible explanation.
You pretty much have to use direct X for everything on xbox, this isn't the case at all.

Stuff like io shouldn't be exposed to devs to program for anyway, it should just work plain and simple.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You pretty much have to use direct X for everything on xbox, this isn't the case at all.

Stuff like io shouldn't be exposed to devs to program for anyway, it should just work plain and simple.
I feel like you are oversimplifying things.I don't think things are as easy as putting everything in directX and it should work.Maybe there's a separate set of software let's call it a toolbox( hehe tools remember) that offer granularity over some features, because the truth nor you nor me (nor I? I never knew which one to use)Know what exactly is inside those dev kit and how to access/use them.All I am saying is that if there were something truly wrong it would have shown in way more games.
Based on this I can see 4 scenarios:
1 it works just like you said and for god knows why it didn't there (might be engine related since M1chl M1chl told me it was from a phyre engine or one of its derivative)
2 It works as you said and considering that the loading times have been similar to ps5's(for multiplatform games) it should mean that it is harder to use the ps5's ssd speed
3.You just don't put the code and it just works and there is some fine tuning or granularity involved which From had trouble with.
4.From just did a lousy work all around about perf.
But all in all I am not convinced that Ms or the console are at fault here.

adamsapple

That's Horizon (with spoilers) in case anyone wants to click.

I was asking SoulzBourne to post something from Elden Ring with similar draw distances, scales etc.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's Horizon (with spoilers) in case anyone wants to click.

I was asking SoulzBourne to post something from Elden Ring with similar draw distances, scales etc.
Oh shit my bad dude I thought I was in another thread.
Edit: I hope that you weren't planning on going blind in the game, if so please receive my apologies.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It isn't the only game to load 2+ times faster on PS5.
The PS5's SSD is over 2x faster.
If a game isn't loading at least 2x faster... than the PS5 version isn't optimized.
ELden loads 3x faster, not 2x. And does so disproportionately to the speeds of the XSX SSD.
Multiplatform games where the PS5 loads twice as fast as the XS can be counted on the fingers of one hand and you have fingers to spare. And on those we're talking ~2-3 seconds apart. The norm is that both consoles load at the same speed and it is not uncommon to see cases where XSX loads faster.

I repeat, you have that PS4 (magic HDD?🤔) loads almost as fast as XSeries, and that XBO takes 3 times longer than PS4. And as if that were not enough, the slowest SSDs on PC load the same as on PS5 and faster than on XS. With all that base, anyone with a minimum of common sense would understand as the most logical thing that things are not being done well in the XSeries.

That you prefer to think that what happens is that it is the first multiplataform game to take advantage of the PS5 SSD and that all the other Studios to date have failed is something else.....😉

PS.

S0ULZB0URNE

ELden loads 3x faster, not 2x. And does so disproportionately to the speeds of the XSX SSD.
Multiplatform games where the PS5 loads twice as fast as the XS can be counted on the fingers of one hand and you have fingers to spare. And on those we're talking ~2-3 seconds apart. The norm is that both consoles load at the same speed and it is not uncommon to see cases where XSX loads faster.

I repeat, you have that PS4 (magic HDD?🤔) loads almost as fast as XSeries, and that XBO takes 3 times longer than PS4. And as if that were not enough, the slowest SSDs on PC load the same as on PS5 and faster than on XS. With all that base, anyone with a minimum of common sense would understand as the most logical thing that things are not being done well in the XSeries.

That you prefer to think that what happens is that it is the first multiplataform game to take advantage of the PS5 SSD and that all the other Studios to date have failed is something else.....😉

PS.
You said it didn't happen in other games but were wrong PERIOD.

S0ULZB0URNE

LOL. Cases like Elden Ring DO NOT EXIST. It's not me who goes against the rule...😉
"Xbox Series X clocked in a load time of 8 seconds and 47 milliseconds in Resident Evil Village, allowing PlayStation 5 the chance to show off its impressive SSD architecture, cutting the load time down to 1 sec and 57 milliseconds"

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
Froms DX12 efforts are off base at the moment. The PC games is just terrible, and the XSX one is very unoptimized and looks well behind the PS5 version in development.
Wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 was the lead platform.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Froms DX12 efforts are off base at the moment. The PC games is just terrible, and the XSX one is very unoptimized and looks well behind the PS5 version in development.
Wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 was the lead platform.
PS4 was definitely the lead platform. Everything else was just ported from there, and pretty poorly in almost every case but especially the DX12 versions (xbox and PC).

Last edited:
t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

-

Further disappointing to see the game actually got both visual *AND* performance down grades from the Network test.

From Software really do suck at optimizing game ..

Can't wait to play the proper Blue Point remake for this next gen.

Left Network test: higher draw distance, shadow distance, less fog, better frame rate.
Right: final retail, everything worse.

the fuck.

1kfjjo.png
What in the ACTUAL fuck. What a fucking bummer.

skneogaf

Just finished watching this, ps5 and xbox series x should be 1440p locked 60fps.

Series s should be 1080p 60fps.

There is no shame in those resolutions.

Got excited and saw a patch for the ps5 version…nope still got that fucking judder issue

I would be enjoying this much more as I prefer the ps5 controller for these type of games but nope

I’m guessing it’s not gonna get fixed based off their track record

skneogaf

The PS5 and Series X should be 4K locked 60fps. FromSoft just aren't very good technically with their games.

Should be yes but if they can't then lower the resolution until it locks to 60fps.

People are choosing the last generation version to get steady go's which should tell FROM SOFTWARE what gamers want.

adamsapple

Got excited and saw a patch for the ps5 version…nope still got that fucking judder issue

I would be enjoying this much more as I prefer the ps5 controller for these type of games but nope

It's FROM, what else can we expect.

They didn't bother looking into the frame pacing issues for their incredibly popular and well reviewed Bloodborne for years, even after the PS4 Pro came out, no updates.

Meanwhile Sony Santa Monica got one email from Digital Foundry and they fixed the frame pacing in God of War 2018 by the time of it's day 1 patch.

Different studios have different levels of priorities .. or "give-a-shit-ism".

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Hmm no judder for me on PS5 nor on the Closed Network Beta I played on XSX.

Top Bottom