• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

GHG

Gold Member
That's got nothing to do with VRR degrading the image quality, John prefers to use BFI which cannot be used at the same time as VRR. He is apparently super sensitive to motion clarity.

Personally, BFI is not worth the brightness hit for me, especially on a OLED.

My overall point is that there isn't a single TV out there that doesn't have compromises when running VRR content (at least not that I know of). Everything from gamma shift, raised black levels, flickering to options being disabled.

REDRZA MWS

It is though. It stutters every few seconds. Your post and the language used in it tells me all I need to know about you. You can't handle people being negative but your attitude is much worse, not to mention you are just accepting bad performance from developers with that attitude.

If the stuttering and fps drops aren't a big deal to you why not shut up and be happy it doesn't affect you instead of adding NOTHING to the discussion aside from name calling and throwing your own version of a hissy fit.
You don’t know the first fucking thing about me. Gotta love the internet.I never once said it didn’t stutter or I wouldn’t love a locked 60fps. My reaction is to the level of hyperbole. People are acting like it’s broken and a mess, it’s not. Lastly, this is a public forum and no, I won’t shut up. A lot of tough talk from random, elsewhere, behind a keyboard.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My overall point is that there isn't a single TV out there that doesn't have compromises when running VRR content (at least not that I know of). Everything from gamma shift, raised black levels, flickering to options being disabled.

TBH none of those are worthy enough factors, if they even happen (I haven't noticed on mine), the uplifting of perceivable performance and elimination of tearing is much bigger.

Cyberpunk has tearing on the new consoles in crowded areas from what I've seen in comparisons. I'm not seeing that issue in my game and it's been good.

Amaranty

My XSX and LG CX has been pretty good so far in terms of VRR flicker and gamma shift. The only game that has given me problems during gameplay is Halo Infinite in quality mode, where I can see visible flicker, although the game should be basically locked 60 fps, so I'm puzzled why I see flicker. I also tested Evil Within 2, where in a certain place the framerate drops a bit. I couldn't see any flicker with my eyes but my phone camera did pick it up. I'm guessing it would be visible to the naked eye, if the framerate drops even more.

I haven't played any games yet that has large fps fluctuation like Elden Ring. So I'm waiting for results from other OLED owners.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
TBH none of those are worthy enough factors, if they even happen (I haven't noticed on mine), the uplifting of perceivable performance and elimination of tearing is much bigger.

Cyberpunk has tearing on the new consoles in crowded areas from what I've seen in comparisons. I'm not seeing that issue in my game and it's been good.

For me personally if I'm spending that much money on something I want it to be perfect for my intended use case. Especially so if it's the type of thing that is to be kept long term.

I bought this a few weeks ago but cancelled after reading further into the issues:

IMG-20220225-172154.jpg

With there being new similarly sized OLED panels coming out from both LG and Sony in the next couple of months I'm happy to wait it out a bit longer to see if the issues can be ironed out. In the meantime I will continue to use my gamma shifting QLED with my PC.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Standard PS5 disk edition. The only way to get it to play at a solid 60 fps, is to play the PS4 version on your PS4 at a lower resolution. Fluid? Hmmm, it was the first thing I noticed when I started playing, and also my gf said the same thing. Try standing still and just turn the camera around you. It stutters like every second. For me, it almost unplayable. I will wait until they fix the game with a patch. Also dropping frames down to 40fps.

That patch is for pc not sure what you’re using it for while telling me PS5 is busted.

Last edited:

RydarGaf

no game is "designed for 52CU". every modern engine is capable of utilizing every core a GPU has. you will see every game on a PC always utilize 100% of the GPU when you push the graphics high enough.

games that don't do that are rare and are getting called out immediately when this happens
This is kind of incorrect. RDNA 2 has Ray Tracing Accelerators aligned with the Compute Units.

It's pretty clear that every game this generation with Ray Tracing support is conforming to low number of Ray Tracing Accelerators on the PS5. Series X has better Ray Tracing ability and therefore should have greater looking Ray Tracing in Series X version of games. But RT always looks the same in both versions.

The other issue is API. Elden Ring was definitely created with favoritism towards the PlayStation API which is why it better performance than the Series X.

Lognor

Banned
For me personally if I'm spending that much money on something I want it to be perfect for my intended use case. Especially so if it's the type of thing that is to be kept long term.

I bought this a few weeks ago but cancelled after reading further into the issues:

IMG-20220225-172154.jpg

With there being new similarly sized OLED panels coming out from both LG and Sony in the next couple of months I'm happy to wait it out a bit longer to see if the issues can be ironed out. In the meantime I will continue to use my gamma shifting QLED with my PC.
Talk about small screens! 48 inch? Yikes! Please tell me that's for a PC.

And you own up to the fact that you're clueless and had to cancel after the fact because you didn't do research. Hello pot!

Last edited:

Lysandros

This is kind of incorrect. RDNA 2 has Ray Tracing Accelerators aligned with the Compute Units.

It's pretty clear that every game this generation with Ray Tracing support is conforming to low number of Ray Tracing Accelerators on the PS5. Series X has better Ray Tracing ability and therefore should have greater looking Ray Tracing in Series X version of games. But RT always looks the same in both versions.

The other issue is API. Elden Ring was definitely created with favoritism towards the PlayStation API which is why it better performance than the Series X.
What a post... All the Japanese developed games that performed better or at least equal to PS5 on XSX like Tales of Arise, Resident Evil, Yakuza like a Dragon or even DMC V were not favoritist in nature then huh? Those were the 'good Japanese' developers then? Are you into conspiracies much in general? As to RT performance, i guess Ghostrunner developers were also secretly Japanese then, not Danish at all?

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Series X has better Ray Tracing ability and therefore should have greater looking Ray Tracing in Series X version of games. But RT always looks the same in both versions.
What better RT effects were you expecting for an 18% faster RT acceleration on the Series X?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You don’t know the first fucking thing about me. Gotta love the internet.I never once said it didn’t stutter or I wouldn’t love a locked 60fps. My reaction is to the level of hyperbole. People are acting like it’s broken and a mess, it’s not. Lastly, this is a public forum and no, I won’t shut up. A lot of tough talk from random, elsewhere, behind a keyboard.
Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

OsirisBlack

Banned
Please do everyone a favor and pan the camera around your character in performance mode like the other person suggested. It stutters constantly on Ps5, every 1-2 seconds, just like he said. By you telling people how fluid it is your spreading misinformation and giving more false credence to those here claiming its smoothe.

It is not smooth and DF's, Nx gamers video will prove it whenever that is put out. I don't mean to sound like an asshole but some of you are really bad at noticing what's going on in a game when it comes to framerate and stuttering.

Maybe it's because I have an oled which tends to amplify fps issues but it was immediately noticeable and didn't stop stuttering once in the 3-4 hours I played
Funny I have an Oled also it’s ok though I’ll upload a video here shortly as I’m not having that issue and for shits and giggles I rotated both in resolution and fps mode. Again like I said it’s not as smooth as Dark Souls 3 on PS5 or Demons Souls remake but it’s pretty damn good. I have both the ps5 and pc versions I’m just saying I’m having a better experience on PS5 which is pretty pathetic considering my rig. From needs to fix their shit.

Last edited:

RydarGaf

What a post... All the Japanese developed games that performed better or at least equal to PS5 on XSX like Tales of Arise, Resident Evil even DMC V were not favoritist in nature then huh? Those were the 'good Japanese developers' then?.. Are you into conspiracies much in general?
I'm talking about RAY TRACING capability! Not performance.

Delete your post as it doesn't even address what I said LoL

GHG

Gold Member
Talk about small screens! 48 inch? Yikes! Please tell me that's for a PC.

And you own up to the fact that you're clueless and had to cancel after the fact because you didn't do research. Hello pot!

I feel sorry for you that the inside joke between me and Banjo64 Banjo64 has completely gone over your head.

And yes I cancel my orders when new things get announced and there are potential problems with what I've already purchased. It's the sensible thing to do, but you clearly wouldn't know anything about that.

tuco11

Sorry didnt read entire thread. How bad is performance on Series X compared to PS5? I dont care about 60fps in this case. I have ps5 edition coming in on disc. Got a couple of friends who picked up Series X version. Was thinking swapping ps5 version for Series X version to do co-op wit buddies. I dont have VRR tv. TCL R617. ps. Souls noob .

thanks!

RydarGaf

What a post... All the Japanese developed games that performed better or at least equal to PS5 on XSX like Tales of Arise, Resident Evil even DMC V were not favoritist in nature then huh? Those were the 'good Japanese' developers then?.. Are you into conspiracies much in general? As to RT performance... I guess Ghostrunner developers were also secretly Japanese then, not Danish at all?...
The other problem with your post is you trying to debunk my criticisms by pointing out the work done by devs on an entirely different game that has nothing to do with Elden Ring LoL

Devil May Cry 5 isnt made by FromSoftware so how is it revelevent?

Why do you keep going on and on about "Japanese" devs when I didnt mention the word Japanese in my post? Do you have some sort of fixation with Japanese devs?

I don't care about the nationality of developers lol.

Why even bring that up??

OsirisBlack

Banned
Standard PS5 disk edition. The only way to get it to play at a solid 60 fps, is to play the PS4 version on your PS4 at a lower resolution. Fluid? Hmmm, it was the first thing I noticed when I started playing, and also my gf said the same thing. Try standing still and just turn the camera around you. It stutters like every second. For me, it almost unplayable. I will wait until they fix the game with a patch. Also dropping frames down to 40fps.

Please do everyone a favor and pan the camera around your character in performance mode like the other person suggested. It stutters constantly on Ps5, every 1-2 seconds, just like he said. By you telling people how fluid it is your spreading misinformation and giving more false credence to those here claiming its smoothe.

It is not smooth and DF's, Nx gamers video will prove it whenever that is put out. I don't mean to sound like an asshole but some of you are really bad at noticing what's going on in a game when it comes to framerate and stuttering.

Maybe it's because I have an oled which tends to amplify fps issues but it was immediately noticeable and didn't stop stuttering once in the 3-4 hours I played

From my PS5 like I said a million times not perfect but not freezing up on me like PC is.

Edited again fully uploaded.
Sony 77” A9 Oled

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sorry didnt read entire thread. How bad is performance on Series X compared to PS5? I dont care about 60fps in this case. I have ps5 edition coming in on disc. Got a couple of friends who picked up Series X version. Was thinking swapping ps5 version for Series X version to do co-op wit buddies. I dont have VRR tv. TCL R617. ps. Souls noob .

thanks!
If you are not playing side by side, you won't really notice.

j0hnnix

I am torn. A lot of good information between Series X and PS5. I have had the PS5 preordered since initial announcement, but debating getting the Series X since I do have VRR capabilities. Also. Doesn't help I'm becoming impatient for Amazon to deliver.

elliot5

thanks!
They dip pretty evenly but in many scenarios ps5 has about 10% more fps. Meaning 55 when Xbox May be at 50. It hits 60 more often but even that is temporary. The ps4 pro version on ps5 is completely locked 60 though

RydarGaf

What better RT effects were you expecting for an 18% faster RT acceleration on the Series X?
Unless the faster gpu clock speed has an positive effect on the PS5 Ray Tracing Accelerators, I'm not sure where you are getting the 18% number from.

Series X has 52 RT Accelerators vs the 36 RT on PS5. That's like a 40% difference!

Explain your 18% number??

hollams

Gold Member
I looked at the graphicsconfig.xml file for the game and there was an entry for RayTracing and it was set to High, but there isn't an option in the game. I also had AntiAliasing set to high in the game menu, but the file had it set to blank. I tried messing around with that file but nothing fixed my stuttering issues.

In the first area there is a grace point right before a Castle Arch and down the road there is a small soldier's camp. If I start at the grace point and run down that path around the 10th step or so my character will slow down for about a second. I can run back and forth across this area and it slows down at that specific point every time. If I move to the left or right about 10 feet and run straight down no slowdown. I'm not sure why it is so specific. I've had this happen in other areas as well.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
How do we know that RT acceleration is actually 18% faster on XSX?

In RDNA2 there's 1 RT accelerator per compute unit. Each RT Unit processes either 1 Ray/Triangle intersection per clock or 4 Ray/Box intersections per clock.

AMD-Ray-Trace-1024x508-1.jpg

The PS5 has 36 RT accelerators running at 2.233GHz, so it does 80.39 GRay/Triangle intersections per second.
The Series X has 52 RT accelerators running at 1.825GHz, so it does 94.9 GRay/Triangle intersections per second.

The Series X does 18% more intersections per second.

Lysandros

In RDNA2 there's 1 RT accelerator per compute unit. Each RT Unit processes either 1 Ray/Triangle intersection per clock or 4 Ray/Box intersections per clock.

The PS5 has 36 RT accelerators running at 2.233GHz, so it does 80.39 GRay/Triangle intersections per second.
The Series X has 52 RT accelerators running at 1.825GHz, so it does 94.9 GRay/Triangle intersections per second.

Thanks i know about this, i meant an actual 18% speed difference in actual game implementations. Those theoretical numbers don't take architectural differences into account. Is RT throughput only tied to the number of intersection engines? Not also related to things like cache performance/bandwidth CU frequencies at all? Edit: What about PS5 advantage at generating 22% more light bounces per ray cast (per sec) for example due to higher clocks?

Last edited:

FrankWza

No locked 60fps option for those buying disc?

Glad I have the PS5 Digital console LoL
You need to buy the PS4 version and install it on PS5 for locked 60fps. The PS5 disc only has the PS5 version. Digital version of ER and PS4 disc has dual entitlement

Salmon

You need to buy the PS4 version and install it on PS5 for locked 60fps. The PS5 disc only has the PS5 version. Digital version of ER and PS4 disc has dual entitlement
Maybe you can buy the PS4 version and get a refund on it if you have bought a PS5 disc? That should be a nobrainer if you ask me. You pay to play an inferior version of a game.

RydarGaf

Yeah, I was wondering if the PS5 higher clock speed made up for the difference in accelerators. But wasn't sure...

Do you have any links to articles discussing it?

RydarGaf

On my digital PS5, I am always given the option to which version of a game I want to download. PS4 or PS5.
I had figured people with a PS5 disk of Elden Ring could download the PS4 version.

I guess it's good to know these things ahead of time.

RydarGaf

Maybe you can buy the PS4 version and get a refund on it if you have bought a PS5 disc? That should be a nobrainer if you ask me. You pay to play an inferior version of a game.
He should just sell the PS5 Disk on eBay or return it.

Then buy the PS4 Digital version of the game. Which gives him a license for both versions.

FrankWza

Ask the retailer you purchased from. They may make an exception

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

IMG-20220225-172154.jpg

If you cancelled this due to issues, no other product in live will satisfy you :p
It’s the best tv out there. Better tha. Any monitor. Vrr does change gamma. But it’s nothing too bad

GHG

Gold Member
If you cancelled this due to issues, no other product in live will satisfy you :p
It’s the best tv out there. Better tha. Any monitor. Vrr does change gamma. But it’s nothing too bad

Oh I know which is why i settled on that one at the time but with new units about to release in the next couple of months I figured it would be best to wait a little longer to see if they manage to solve all the issues.

In the worst case scenario where there's no difference between the new TV's and the C1 then the C1 will most likely be available in a stock clearance sale.

Top Bottom