• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring Beta: PS5/ Xbox Series X/S First Look - Quality vs Performance Modes Tested

GHG

Gold Member
I told him to put more skill points into reading instead of dumping it all into writing

This is all I see when he posts anyway:

ZZYVM0G.jpg

No harm done.

S0ULZB0URNE

no i hate from software games I'm sure you will find me saying the same things over and over again. From Soft have proven their technical incompetence multiple times.
So this is the spin oops, i meant reason the PS5 plays it better?

Don't worry... the game isn't done and XSX usually plays older looking cross-gen games better.

FrankWza

I really hope the performance will be improved in the release version. If it doesn’t change, I might resort to using the PS4 Pro BC mode to get a decent 60fps experience.
Of course that’s the hope. But if it isn’t I really hope that PS5 VRR update comes in December and at least we know this current PS5 performance with VRR will be a pretty good starting point. Especially with those load times.

skit_data

I can’t imagine them not putting a 30fps cap on the Quality mode in the release version. It will run fine in that mode, since it doesn’t fall below 30fps on either console. And they need to adjust the DRS on the performance mode if they want to fix that framerate. Possibly make it drop faster and/or have a lower boundary for the res. Now it’s just stuck in between, offering bad performance and lower res.

But I feel pretty confident, it shouldn’t be too hard to get both modes decent if they just adjust the res of performance mode and put a 30fps lock on quality mode.

Edit: The framerate mode runs between 1512p-1800p. They could easily drop that lower bound to 1440p and/or use more aggressive scaling of the DRS.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

is the only reason....absolutely yes
Ok so all hope isn't loss.
MS has the marketing rights, the game isn't finished and older looking cross-gen games favor Xbox Series X.
I played it on XSX and enjoyed it but when I got word on the load times on PS5 I disregarded what I said above and preordered the PS5 version.

MonarchJT

Banned
Ok so all hope isn't loss.
MS has the marketing rights, the game isn't finished and older looking cross-gen games favor Xbox Series X.
I played it on XSX and enjoyed it but when I got word on the load times on PS5 I disregarded what I said above and preordered the PS5 version.
if some other team does not intervene to fix their games (as has happened before) the game will come out in this exact state. It has always been like this with the from games. I'm sorry for the fans of their games but I don't think there will be any major improvements in the final version.

Last edited:

tommib

I can’t imagine them not putting a 30fps cap on the Quality mode in the release version. It will run fine in that mode, since it doesn’t fall below 30fps on either console. And they need to adjust the DRS on the performance mode if they want to fix that framerate. Possibly make it drop faster and/or have a lower boundary for the res. Now it’s just stuck in between, offering bad performance and lower res.

But I feel pretty confident, it shouldn’t be too hard to get both modes decent if they just adjust the res of performance mode and put a 30fps lock on quality mode.
I actually don’t mind uncapped frame rates. I played Sekiro on PS4 Pro and thought it was fine. It also helps when new hardware is released as we’ve seen with games that are uncapped since they “magically“ turn into stable 60 fps.

I’m not very confident the performance we have on NT is going to change in the final build. It’s consistent with all From Software game launches I’m afraid.

Last edited:

skit_data

I actually don’t mind uncapped frame rates. I played Sekiro on PS4 Pro and thought it was fine. It also helps when new hardware is released as we’ve seen with games that are uncapped since they “magically“ turn into stable 60 fps.

I’m actually not very confident the performance we have on NT is going to change in the final build. It’s consistent with all From Software game launches I’m afraid.
I’m not very fond of it, I prefer capped 30fps to higher, uneven framerates. A few drops here and there I won’t mind but wavering between 30-50fps is a little too much IMO.

Yeah, coming to think of it, isn’t DS3 uncapped for PS4 Pro? I’ve only played it on my base PS4 and rock solid 60fps on PS5.

Fbh

That sucks.
I was actually happy seeing the graphics didn't look particularly impressive as I hoped it would mean we'd finally get a good performing FROM game on consoles. Guess I was being too optimistic.

Hopefully their main focus from now until it launches is optimization.

tommib

I’m not very fond of it, I prefer capped 30fps to higher, uneven framerates. A few drops here and there I won’t mind but wavering between 30-50fps is a little too much IMO.

Yeah, coming to think of it, isn’t DS3 uncapped for PS4 Pro? I’ve only played it on my base PS4 and rock solid 60fps on PS5.
Yeap, it got a Pro patch with unlocked frame rate. Very similar to what they did with Sekiro with the same performance at 1080p. Sekiro was running 4K checkerboarding though.

I don’t know. I played the Elden Ring test and thought it was absolutely fine. But people from the forum would know I don’t give a shit about performance.

I'm going to have to side with those that said From is going to shit the bed on the frame rate. Oh well, maybe I'll do the ps4 pro version at 60fps on ps5.

But as much as their record sucks for optimization there's still 3 months to go.

ediT: unless the loading on the ps4 pro version is slow

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

guys are you (the usuals) really doing this ? you know this will hit u hard like a boomerang right ? you are doing console war basically waiting for someone to tell you that this is just an inability (known for decades) of the development team
Isn't the Xbox version just the PC version? Will PC be optimized better?

it's technically not half, and FromSoftware sucks at anything engine side. most games have 1 or 2 second differences

I guess it could depend on how the engine is using the I/O. To my knowledge Capcom doesn't suck with engines and the PS5 version loads a lot faster. It could be the same case here and it wouldn't be strange. But I believe it's an outlier and doesn't represent the normal case for 3rd party titles.

Banned
I guess it could depend on how the engine is using the I/O. To my knowledge Capcom doesn't suck with engines and the PS5 version loads a lot faster. It could be the same case here and it wouldn't be strange. But I believe it's an outlier and doesn't represent the normal case for 3rd party titles.

the Xbox version in general seems very neglected, in this test version at least. I personally don't trust FromSoftware to actually get this game running well on any system until release... which is why I will play it on PC lol

the Xbox version in general seems very neglected, in this test version at least. I personally don't trust FromSoftware to actually get this game running well on any system until release... which is why I will play it on PC lol

Or it could be that the engine favors the PS5 more. That's also a possibility.

Edit: To be fair I believe both versions can be improved.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Will be playing this game on pc or ps5

Has nothing to do with graphics but the souls community on xbox are fewer it took longer to find co op friend on xbox with halo infinite coming hot i bet everyone there will be rather busy playing that game

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No. This is the benchmark you are talking about, i remember it well:

mvQZSsq.jpg

The figures are for the number of dancers. As one can clearly see PS3 CELL massively outperforms X360 CPU by x3 (!) to the point that makers of the benchmark remarked (word for word) "Cell is a beast." That makes sense since it was significantly more powerful compared X360 CPU (due to SPUs mostly) having twice the computatinal capabilities (200 GFlops vs 100 GFlops). RSX was rated at 192 GFlops. Thus combined CELL+RSX exceeded X360. Now, it was a very difficult architecture to program for comparatively. And the overall picture as to game performance was much more complicated than that of course.

Edit: Again, those were vastly different architectures as to CPU, GPU and RAM not even remotely comparable to today's picture.

Edit II: Much more importantly than CELL's rated max theoretical compute figure you could potentially achieve very high saturation (up to 100%!) on the SPUs as explaned by Cerny in the DF interview about PS5, thus very high efficiency in 'real world' compute throughput. The very reason for the architectural choice of the Tempest Engine.
lol yes thats the one I was thinking of, but I must have confused the 360 benchmark with the xbox one benchmark. The point I was trying to make was that the PS3 was presented as a more powerful console but that power did not translate into performance and sony lost virtually every face/off in the beginning of the gen only tying the 360 towards the tailend of the gen. Same scenario as this gen when MS touted the most powerful console and well, the results have been somewhat lacking.

Pedro Motta

lol yes thats the one I was thinking of, but I must have confused the 360 benchmark with the xbox one benchmark. The point I was trying to make was that the PS3 was presented as a more powerful console but that power did not translate into performance and sony lost virtually every face/off in the beginning of the gen only tying the 360 towards the tailend of the gen. Same scenario as this gen when MS touted the most powerful console and well, the results have been somewhat lacking.
The difference to this gen is I'm not sure the Series X has the same headroom the PS3 had for improvements. The system was indeed powerful just a lot more difficult to tap into that power.

SlimySnake

XSX GPU is only 'faster' at 'some' metrics like floating point calculations or number of ray cast due to having more CUs essentially. It isn't faster 'overall', quite the contrary, every single component of its GPU is slower by 18% compared to PS5. This of course impacts GPU throughputs tied to fixed functions units and increase latency between the components.

Edit: I would also consider Ghostrunner and this one as pretty big technical 'wins' for PS5, among other very interesting cases like the Tourist.
Yeah, ive posted the differences before, I am sure you have seen that chart of the pixel rate advantage the PS5 has. But when talking about consoles and GPUs, we typically use tflops as the defining metric and in that sense the xsx is faster overall.

Even when XSX has "big" wins, this console still has a lot off issues with performance like in Hitman (dropping to 40s). Not seeing a big win with Hitman in the end when the performance was nearly locked on the PS5 at 1800p, while the native 4K version had stutters and more frame drops. That only means that the XSX couldn't really handle the native 4K together with a better performance. The game should've been dropped to 1800p, same as PS5.

I even bet the next Hitman game will suddenly be the same on both consoles, that's why i think that with Hitman...it was purely a engine/optimisation thing than a hardware limitation.
Hitman was super weird because it almost looked like a bug. Only when interacting with the foliage and only when using a sniper rifle? Whoever did the face/off for that game shouldve gone full rambo and tested it out a bit more with different weapons and lots going on the screen. very odd.

We dont see this in Metro Exodus and Doom which have lots going on during shooting segments. the XSX enjoys a consistent advantage.

Yeah, ive posted the differences before, I am sure you have seen that chart of the pixel rate advantage the PS5 has. But when talking about consoles and GPUs, we typically use tflops as the defining metric and in that sense the xsx is faster overall.

Hitman was super weird because it almost looked like a bug. Only when interacting with the foliage and only when using a sniper rifle? Whoever did the face/off for that game shouldve gone full rambo and tested it out a bit more with different weapons and lots going on the screen. very odd.

We dont see this in Metro Exodus and Doom which have lots going on during shooting segments. the XSX enjoys a consistent advantage.
Hitman isn't weird at all imo. Alpha effects scale really badly with resolution, they need exponentially more ressources with every increase in resolution. See Skyrim as another example, now that it's running in 4K, every time you get close to a fire the performance tanks. It doesn't necessarily have to be this way, but devs often forget to balance alpha effects for very high resolutions.

onQ123

The difference to this gen is I'm not sure the Series X has the same headroom the PS3 had for improvements. The system was indeed powerful just a lot more difficult to tap into that power.
Xbox Series X actually does have a lot of head room right now so does PS5 . Like PS4 pro had head room with double rate fp16 but devs wasn't going to spend too much time moving stuff to fp16 when only PS4 Pro was going to benefit from it.

I think we will see games later on taking advantage of AI upscaling , Direct Storage & also over stepping the storage limitations of the home console & creating games that live in the cloud.

Pedro Motta

Xbox Series X actually does have a lot of head room right now so does PS5 . Like PS4 pro had head room with double rate fp16 but devs wasn't going to spend too much time moving stuff to fp16 when only PS4 Pro was going to benefit from it.

I think we will see games later on taking advantage of AI upscaling , Direct Storage & also over stepping the storage limitations of the home console & creating games that live in the cloud.
Maybe I wasn’t clear. XSX does not have much headroom comparing it to the PS5, but both still have plenty of potential for improvement. I was talking about PS3 vs X360, later in the generation the PS3 proved to be more powerful.

SlimySnake

Hitman isn't weird at all imo. Alpha effects scale really badly with resolution, they need exponentially more ressources with every increase in resolution. See Skyrim as another example, now that it's running in 4K, every time you get close to a fire the performance tanks. It doesn't necessarily have to be this way, but devs often forget to balance alpha effects for very high resolutions.
that makes sense, but i wouldve liked DF to test it out to confirm. From what I remember, they said it was very rare and only happened if you zoomed in for a sniper kill or took cover in foliage.

well, the xbox supposedly has more RDNA 2.0 features than the PS5. Lots of grey area when it comes to mesh shaders, hardware vrs and machine learning that ps5 seems to be lacking. It will be interesting to see if the primitive shaders keep up with xbox's mesh shaders implementation. VRS in doom made a big difference. who knows whats going to happen with their machine learning advantage.

Maybe its all software APIs and just more PR talk from Microsoft, or maybe it's for real. I wouldnt close the book on the xsx just yet.

Pedro Motta

that makes sense, but i wouldve liked DF to test it out to confirm. From what I remember, they said it was very rare and only happened if you zoomed in for a sniper kill or took cover in foliage.

well, the xbox supposedly has more RDNA 2.0 features than the PS5. Lots of grey area when it comes to mesh shaders, hardware vrs and machine learning that ps5 seems to be lacking. It will be interesting to see if the primitive shaders keep up with xbox's mesh shaders implementation. VRS in doom made a big difference. who knows whats going to happen with their machine learning advantage.

Maybe its all software APIs and just more PR talk from Microsoft, or maybe it's for real. I wouldnt close the book on the xsx just yet.
Why are people still confusing what is RDNA 2, with DirectX 12 Ultimate?

Shmunter

it's technically not half, and FromSoftware sucks at anything engine side. most games have 1 or 2 second differences
Small differences would be the game leaning on software supported I/o, I.e. utilising the cpu to manage data.

Anything directly targeting the additional hardware coprocessors for I/o have no choice than be twice if not more faster based on specs.

Dr Bass

Like half of his posts. A look at his history is “comedy gold”. He spends all his time undermining anything Sony related and constantly babysitting Microsoft. I honestly think he’s the biggest troll on the forum just because he manages to get away with it despite the several temp bans.
I’m going to disagree. He might have a favorite and it bleeds through, but don’t most of us fit that description? Obviously our biases will also color our opinions.

I can think of a handful of people on here that across as completely disingenuous clowns. I don’t think ol’ BL fits that description personally.

onQ123

Maybe I wasn’t clear. XSX does not have much headroom comparing it to the PS5, but both still have plenty of potential for improvement. I was talking about PS3 vs X360, later in the generation the PS3 proved to be more powerful.

Not in straight forward game development but if someone was to do something like Dreams or something & find some good uses for 8bit & 4bit math they could make headroom but it also go the other way around if a dev decide to make games that move a lot of data from the SSD on the fly PS5 could have a big advantage.

You see stuff like The Touryst that is light on compute , geometry, textures & so on that is able to render at 8K but you could also get a dev who decides to go crazy & try something that will need a lot of compute like path tracing or something & bring the game down below 1080P & use AI upscaling.

From Software is technical Woat?.... What a bot load of bullshit narrative going on here for weeks
The company which made Bloodborne and Dark Souls III is WOAT
This game has Per Object Motion Blur and Raytracing.
And who are judging these graphics....oh right people who have been playing on 1080p30 for 8 fucking years
What a holier than thou bullshit.

From Software's Engine's geometry and their animation works is only second to Rockstar. Better than Naughty Dogs and Santa Monica. Clearly way too many of you nothing about Computation. The CPU utilization of this engine is phenomenal. It is pushing as many good stuff as Returnal in terms of effects and yet it is above 1440p60. The asset design with its wear and tear is on another level and enemy design is the best of any game ever...EVER and that's with the very few stuff I have seen so far.

If lightning alone triumphs every other stuff then maybe Valhiem should be game of the year this year. What about scene complexity, deformation and microanimations where is that in Demon's Souls. Oh right because a company that makes remakes is more competant than the company whose game they are remaking.

It looks better than Ghost of Tsushima which looked better than Ubisoft stuff. Which open-world game looks better than this except RDR2. Which one?

But But From Software dont know how to code graphics.....
Not to mention this is the state of the game four months prior to release. Its this good four months before compared to the horrible development year everyone is having except Insomniac.

P.S. You cant play Cyberpunk next Gen version on console yet and Forza is not on PS5. So yeah which open-world game on console space looks better than this except RDR2.

I've added some screenshots from cross gen titles that run at a flawless 60 fps.
You're right, the forrest from Elden Ring Beta looks way better then these.
/s

VHywZEZ.jpg

bpoopIR.png

JmR9s5c.png
0GjpETt.png

Haggard

Banned
Talking about a technical TEST like it's a finished released with pretty stupid.
Talking about a technical test exhibiting the very same issues that have plagued From games for 13 years now like those 13 years don`t exist....
Fandom is one thing, but at the point where you start to ignore history it gets retarded.

Last edited:
Top Bottom