• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring Beta: PS5/ Xbox Series X/S First Look - Quality vs Performance Modes Tested

742122.jpg
The tweet you posted was comedy gold, considering the game runs like a turd on all consoles and looks like early last gen at the same time. Good shit.

Tschumi

I didn't realize Elden Ring is on playstation.... hmmmm purchase choice complicates... i wonder if a ps4 purchase would translate to ps5 one day..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
FROM really need an engine upgrade, imagine the next SOUL game, fully nextgen with those same old assets.

Imagine if this game was using Decima... Sony would almost certainly have been all into that, BUT of course with the small condition that the game couldn't release on Xbox.

Tschumi

I’m pretty sure you get both the PS4 and PS5 versions, at least when bought on PS Store.

Edit:
HSUBJUt.jpg

Don’t mind the swedish, it just says ”Full game”
Gotta go PS then, despite having a XSS, I can barely tell the graphical difference anyway and I'll certainly be going ps5 one day

Imagine if this game was using Decima... Sony would almost certainly have been all into that, BUT of course with the small condition that the game couldn't release on Xbox.
I'm not sure about that.. Aren't all of the Soulsborne games built on an iteration of the Sony's Phyre divine, anyway?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not sure about that.. Aren't all of the Soulsborne games built on an iteration of the Sony's Phyre divine, anyway?

I actually didn't know that, but yeah, seems like you're right. But that engine was specifically made to help developers make PS3 games I think, and not as an internal 1st party engine (it's barely used for any Sony games). And Decima is obviously a far more capable engine. They "gave it" to Kojima, but for a game published by Sony themselves.

Tschumi

I'm shocked to find this is on ps as well because i distinctly remember it being offered as an example of great games coming to xbox, alongside Starfield and such.. is this a recent development?

NahaNago

so I found this odd. I was originally just listening to the video while checking out the posts here and then I turn to look at the character walking through grass when comparing the xbox versions and like the bushes or grass do not move when he walks or brushes past it. Lol, I again turned back to watch the video after typing and I see the cut scene with all of the trees, dust, and bushes moving except for one bush connected to the wall. Like everything else is moving and whipping about but the leaves of that bush stay absolutely still. I get that this is a trick to get more performance out of the console it is just I was expecting a bit more from a game in 2021.

Now I'm wondering if the audio in the game is any good, like will you hear different sounds when walking on rock or grass or when walking through a bush.

Last edited:

Tschumi

so I found this odd. I was originally just listening to the video while checking out the posts here and then I turn to look at the character walking through grass when comparing the xbox versions and like the bushes do not move when he walks or brushes past it. Lol, I again turned back to watch the video after typing and I see the cut scene with all of the trees, dust, and bushes moving except for one bush connected to the wall. Like everything else is moving and whipping about but the leaves of that bush stay absolutely still. I get that this is a trick to get more performance out of the console it is just I was expecting a bit more from a game in 2021.

Now I'm wondering if the audio in the game is any good, like will you hear different sounds when walking on rock or grass or when walking through a bush.
I think you're extrapolating a bit wildly but i also noticed spotty foliage collision

skit_data

I'm shocked to find this is on ps as well because i distinctly remember it being offered as an example of great games coming to xbox, alongside Starfield and such.. is this a recent development?
You’re not the first one that had the impression it was an Xbox title, some other poster thought the same thing the other day.

It might be because it was announced on a Xbox E3 showcase, IDK. It has always been a multiplatform game, and later shifted to PS5/Xbox Series when they were announced.

Last edited:

Tschumi

You’re not the first one that had the impression it was an Xbox title, some other poster thought the same thing the other day.

It might be because it was announced on a Xbox E3 showcase, IDK. It had as always been a multiplatform game, and later shifted to PS5/Xbox Series when they were announced.
This makes me feel more peaceful lol

It might be because it was announced on a Xbox E3 showcase, IDK. It has always been a multiplatform game, and later shifted to PS5/Xbox Series when they were announced.
If it was the E3 2019 i'm pretty sure it was always XB1+PS4+Pc.

Elog

Once again it is the same pattern: Higher geometrical complexity, and higher amount and resolution of textures, results in more "traffic" (i.e. I/O) which gives the PS5 an advantage over the XSX. Titles that give the XSX an advantage all have lower geometrical complexity and lower amount and resolution of textures such as Hitman. Seems to me that the discussions we had roughly a year ago has more or less been validated - will be very interesting to see the first cross-platform UE5 game

skit_data

If it was the E3 2019 i'm pretty sure it was always XB1+PS4+Pc.
Yeah, it has always been a multiplat but sometimes when games get announced/shown on a platform manufacturers showcase it doesn’t specify its a multiplat game coming to all consoles/PC. Sometimes it just says ”Coming to PS4” or ”Coming to Xbox One” despite releasing on both.

Tschumi

Grass moving when I walk through it is just basic stuff I look for these days when I see gameplay. I do think I'm not looking at this game the right way. I think the whole open world thing threw me off.
No i mean speculating about the nature of their sound effects based on the precedent of their grass animation is wild

NahaNago

No i mean speculating about the nature of their sound effects based on the precedent of their grass animation is wild
Well I was just barely watching a video and those 2 "broken" things pop out so why would I think they would put enough care to have certain sound effects for where you walk specifically.

Granted it would be different people handling the audio and the visuals. So I do get what you are saying.

Last edited:
Yeah, it has always been a multiplat but sometimes when games get announced/shown on a platform manufacturers showcase it doesn’t specify its a multiplat game coming to all consoles/PC. Sometimes it just says ”Coming to PS4” or ”Coming to Xbox One” despite releasing on both.
Just checked the youtube E3 2019 video on Youtube and it just says PS4/XB1/PC:

Sony's E3 trailer just says PS4. Weird, didn't know this was allowed:

And who are judging these graphics....oh right people who have been playing on 1080p30 for 8 fucking years
What a holier than thou bullshit.

I don't agree with this

People can change, companies can change but saying that console players shouldnt complain about the framerate because up until this gen, most games were 30fps is a horrible take.

FS has almost ALWAYS had framepacing/framerate issues with their games and it's something they need to fix.

Not everyone has a vrr tv and not everyone is going to want a "performance" version that isnt up to snuff.

This is coming from someone who LOVES FS games and I'm still getting it day one (because I'm hoping that they fix the issues before launch)

skit_data

Just checked the youtube E3 2019 video on Youtube and it just says PS4/XB1/PC:

Sony's E3 trailer just says PS4. Weird, didn't know this was allowed:

Same with Xbox official channel:

IDK, I’ve always known it was a multiplatform game but there have been a few people in these Elden Ring threads that was under the impression it was an Xbox exclusive.

Lysandros

Once again it is the same pattern: Higher geometrical complexity, and higher amount and resolution of textures, results in more "traffic" (i.e. I/O) which gives the PS5 an advantage over the XSX. Titles that give the XSX an advantage all have lower geometrical complexity and lower amount and resolution of textures such as Hitman. Seems to me that the discussions we had roughly a year ago has more or less been validated - will be very interesting to see the first cross-platform UE5 game
But how a case like the Tourist stands in this theory with its very basic geometry and texture free graphics? It has the largest difference in favor of PS5 yet. We have other examples like Crash and Tony Hawk with fairly modest geometry and textures. Not excluding the I/O contribution, I would tend to think that the GPU throughput is the main factor here.

Last edited:
Color me surprised that a lower tflop machine is both outperforming and underperforming (PS5 and XSS) if you get what I mean. Hopefully the game goes through much better optimization and runs locked 60fps on all generations of consoles.

skit_data

That makes sense now, so people have just watched the Xbox trailer. Shouldn't be allowed to have edited trailers to confuse people.
I think the platform manufacturers get tailored trailers for their platforms, probably some sort of agreement between in this case Bandai Namco and the official Xbox/Playstation channels. Its pretty much ”free” marketing for Bandai Namco that they feature their game on their channels and I would imagine part of the deal is wanting a trailer that indirectly doesn’t market their competitors products.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
What I saw of this looked pretty good, but I don't think that I could handle an open world die-a-thon.

I might reconsider if they lock the frame rate at 60 for the final release

Filben

It baffles me how once again this DF video is full of pixel counts, details you need to zoom in or play the footage in slow-mo to notice, how often it's not quite 2160p etc. and +/- 10 fps difference between consoles, but NOT A SINGLE WORD about the biggest problem that impacts the visual presentation of the game the most - SEVERE foliage and geometry detail pop-in ruining pretty much all large open areas, some of which you can see in multiple shots in this material. Amazing.
Yes, this.

Also, the lack of proper ambient occlusion and missing shadows from dynamic light sources is baffling in 2022 game. This is something 10 years old have managed. Damn, shadows from a carried torch was something I already saw in 2006 and somehow this is missing in ER.

I wouldn't put the textures in the same boat. Hard to know how much textures are used in games. Geometry, yes, and we know From Software games use healthy amount of them in their games. Maybe they are using primitive shaders on PS5 cause I am still quite surprised by the big gap between the PS5 version and the Pro version.

Arioco

50% faster load? Dafuq, is this the first time this happens to a third party game?

Oh, no, it's not, in fact we've already seen bigger differences, like RE VIII, which has a loading screen on Series X but nothing at all on PS5 (it loads up to 4 tones faster on PS5) . But it's true that we haven't seen this kind of difference as often as I'd expected, TBH. Most PS5 games that load in 1-2 seconds aren't multiplat, so cases like this one seem to be rare . Sometimes even it's Series X the one loading faster, which doesn't make much sense from a technical specs point of view, but well... PS5 performing better and at a higher rez than Series X doesn't make much sense either and here you have it. 🤷‍♂️

It seems like loading times is something devs have to work hard on if they want to take full advantage of these new consoles' super fast SDDs. I was expecting it would be something "automatic" which would required no effort from devs at all, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyways I don't think loading times are that important (I can't imagine someone buying one version over the other just because cause PS5 loads in 5 second while Series X takes 10). I'm more interested in other things SDD should allow for, for instance I'd love to know if PS5 can stream assets twice as fast as Series X, that would be a much interesting advantage than a few seconds of loading screen. Up until now we haven't seen much of a difference, to be honest. Maybe we never will, I don't know, let's wait and see those first games using UE5, I'm really looking forward to seeing which thing this engine benefits more from, the higher I/O of PS5 or the extra compute power of Series X. It will be very interesting to see.

Lysandros

Oh, no, it's not, in fact we've already seen bigger differences, like RE VIII, which has a loading screen on Series X but nothing at all on PS5 (it loads up to 4 tones faster on PS5) . But it's true that we haven't seen this kind of difference as often as I'd expected, TBH. Most PS5 games that load in 1-2 seconds aren't multiplat, so cases like this one seem to be rare . Sometimes even it's Series X the one loading faster, which doesn't make much sense from a technical specs point of view, but well... PS5 performing better and at a higher rez than Series X doesn't make much sense either and here you have it. 🤷‍♂️
Those aren't comparable. On the GPU side we have 18%-22% differences favoring either console depending on the metric. On the I/O side one console has a much more powerful (x3) decompressor along with helper coprocessors and SRAM which his rival lacks. Not to mention 115% speed differential. Hardware differences between the I/O's are huge.

Edit: In summary it makes much more sense for PS5 to outperform XSX in FPS and/or resolution than XSX outperforming PS5 in loading times in light of respective specifications.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
The tweet you posted was comedy gold, considering the game runs like a turd on all consoles and looks like early last gen at the same time. Good shit.
It seems wasn't an issue in Tales of Arise. Though I doubt is a cheap effort as you think considered such From engine has never rendered an open world setting until now.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I've always enjoyed the ability to choose which version to download on PS5. Sometimes it's just fun to compare stuff, other times I like collecting trophies again and it seems performance is yet another reason the way recent releases are going.

MikeM

Sorry, you're wrong, even cheap LCD nanocell TV's from LG have vrr.
Yeah. But its a nanocell. 🤷‍♂️
I've always enjoyed the ability to choose which version to download on PS5. Sometimes it's just fun to compare stuff, other times I like collecting trophies again and it seems performance is yet another reason the way recent releases are going.
Same. While I like smart delivery on Xbox, the option of okaying both options and trophy hunting both is a nice option on PS’ side. I’ve done it 🙂

Arioco

Those aren't comparable. On the GPU side we have 18%-22% differences favoring either console depending on the metric. On the I/O side one console has a much more powerful (x3) decompressor along with helper coprocessors and SRAM which his rival lacks. Not to mention 115% speed differential. Hardware differences between the I/O's are huge.

Edit: In summary it makes much more sense for PS5 to outperform XSX in FPS and/or resolution than XSX outperforming PS5 in loading times in light of respective specifications.

Yes, I know the specs difference in I/O between those machines, that's why I said we aren't seeing the kind of difference I was expecting. I mean, if we could only see the specs we would say that no game would load faster on Series X, ever. But some games do, so... 🤷‍♂️

Lysandros

Yes, I know the specs difference in I/O between those machines, that's why I said we aren't seeing the kind of difference I was expecting. I mean, if we could only see the specs we would say that no game would load faster on Series X, ever. But some games do, so... 🤷‍♂️
Of course, no one denies that. I only wanted to emphasis that your analogy doesn't quite work on logical basis because the I/O side is very far from being the 'mirror image' of the GPU side, there is no symmetry. All good. 👍

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is a BETA I am sure both versions will get optimized by feb. there really shouldn’t be this much back and forth over a beta.

but if you are really so “concerned” then do what I’m going to do and get it for pc. I just don’t fuck around with a souls game performance.

ethomaz

Banned

It was announced on Xbox show and PS consoles basically at the same time.

It just MS didn’t talk about the PS versions in their conference but the PR and trailers released at the same time told you about PS versions.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That makes sense now, so people have just watched the Xbox trailer. Shouldn't be allowed to have edited trailers to confuse people.
Each platform should have it own edited trailer because no platform should be forced to do marketing other platform.

The PS5 version trailer should talk only about PS and vice versa.
Now the developer trailer should list all platforms.

Last edited:
Tschumi Tschumi

Last gen machine?

In 60 hrs playthrough, you will spend 5 hrs looking at loading screen.

Unless you are too gud and finish Souls games without dying.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Nah, this game was built for last-gen consoles with HDDs, it's definitely not streaming data at such a rate that it would have any effect on the relative performance of the new consoles (the new-gen versions having denser foliage etc isn't really relevant here). And even if that WAS the case, it would manifest as stuttering when loading new areas when moving fast, not lower performance in battle sequences and such. And in fact we're seeing the opposite: XSX has a slight performance edge when traversing the world on horseback.

So no.

Last edited:
Does this game have native current-gen builds or is it just running in BC/enhanced BC on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles?

AFAIK this game has no native current-gen builds (just enhanced/upgraded BC versions which keep in mind the absolute differences between base PS4 and base XBO), and there is no use of mesh shader functions in current games on the market which, FWIW, would produce a performance gain overall (PS5's Primitive Shaders are near functionally identical to Series' Mesh Shaders) for Series X in particular (and based on some stuff I've heard, potentially a notable one).

But that's only for games moving away from the traditional graphics pipeline and into Primitive/Mesh Shader-orientated graphics pipelines (which FWIW engines like UE5 are also built to utilize). Discussion points on both sides (the more sensible ones anyway) will be validated as the generation goes along.

Last edited:
Top Bottom