• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring Beta: PS5/ Xbox Series X/S First Look - Quality vs Performance Modes Tested

Vagos48

A shift to open world using an engine, that clearly was not designed to do that, is no easy task. Let's give From Software a break. Also , I would expect performance to be fixed by launch, cause typically performance optimization is taking place at the very end of the development cycle.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Bernd is really butthurt about this one. He's laughing at all posts coming up with facts regarding better resolution, better frame rate and much better loading times on PS5. I'm almost sad for him. Almost.

Yes 5 seconds is a lifetime....

To be fair though this game should be a locked 60fps on the next gens. Its a handsome looking cross gen game with excellent art direction, but on a technical level its doing standard Gen8 stuff.

Also technically the overall best version would be the seriesX version with VRR enabled in performance mode.

Last edited:

sendit

From Software is technical Woat?.... What a bot load of bullshit narrative going on here for weeks
The company which made Bloodborne and Dark Souls III is WOAT
This game has Per Object Motion Blur and Raytracing.
And who are judging these graphics....oh right people who have been playing on 1080p30 for 8 fucking years
What a holier than thou bullshit.

From Software's Engine's geometry and their animation works is only second to Rockstar. Better than Naughty Dogs and Santa Monica. Clearly way too many of you nothing about Computation. The CPU utilization of this engine is phenomenal. It is pushing as many good stuff as Returnal in terms of effects and yet it is above 1440p60. The asset design with its wear and tear is on another level and enemy design is the best of any game ever...EVER and that's with the very few stuff I have seen so far.

If lightning alone triumphs every other stuff then maybe Valhiem should be game of the year this year. What about scene complexity, deformation and microanimations where is that in Demon's Souls. Oh right because a company that makes remakes is more competant than the company whose game they are remaking.

It looks better than Ghost of Tsushima which looked better than Ubisoft stuff. Which open-world game looks better than this except RDR2. Which one?

But But From Software dont know how to code graphics.....
Not to mention this is the state of the game four months prior to release. Its this good four months before compared to the horrible development year everyone is having except Insomniac.

P.S. You cant play Cyberpunk next Gen version on console yet and Forza is not on PS5. So yeah which open-world game on console space looks better than this except RDR2.
Holy balls. I don’t know who is more delusional. You or senjutsusage with Halo.

ethomaz

Banned
A shift to open world using an engine, that clearly was not designed to do that, is no easy task. Let's give From Software a break. Also , I would expect performance to be fixed by launch, cause typically performance optimization is taking place at the very end of the development cycle.
We keep giving From a break since Demon’s Souls… even after several complains in all games they keep that frame pacing flawed engine.

How many years do you want to give breaks to From again?

Last edited:

Md Ray

" Cerny SSD starting to pay of".... ???

It can be the first time that such a difference has been seen, and cases where XSeries has even had an advantage are not rare within a great equality in this section across a year .....

But some only need a case out of line (and being a beta Network) to declare that it is a trend 😂

RE Village also had a significant difference in load time. So it's not an isolated case.
Even DOOM Eternal loaded 2x faster on PS5, IIRC.

Last edited:
And he wasted half of that " PERFORMANCE PREVIEW" talking about game's general features and mechanics. Like i need opinion about a game from some random pixelcounter.

They wasted nothing. The time they spend talking about the game prevented them from talking all they could at this time about the performance? No, it's all there.
It's really bizarre how some here seem annoyed that the DF crew talks about how the games play and how much they enjoy playing.

TrueLegend

Holy balls. I don’t know who is more delusional. You or senjutsusage with Halo.
Yes personal attacks on internet.
Dont quit day job, You are delusional, Get eye checkup.
Yeah tells me a lot about you. You are very brave, bravo.
You know Kretos was the first guy who personally attacked me.
No arguments, no points.
Well I am a patient man.

TonyK

I'm sure this will be the most ridiculous statement I read on the internet today. I'm sure of it!
Why? What it makes a AAA game it's not the quality but the investment. Avengers is a AAA game, and Sekiro, in comparison, must be a AA game. But, obviously, quality is not related to the number of A.

I can add something it would sound even worse, Nintendo is a AA developer for me.

If Nintendo or From are AAA developers, then we need to add an extra A to Rockstar, Ubisoft, Guerrila, Naughty, etc...

sendit

Yes personal attacks on internet.
Dont quit day job, You are delusional, Get eye checkup.
Yeah tells me a lot about you. You are very brave, bravo.
You know Kretos was the first guy who personally attacked me.
No arguments, no points.
Well I am a patient man.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Lysandros

Honestly that was the minimum gap i expected before the beginning of the generation, i still think PS5 should be (at least) x2.5-3 times faster at loading times in average in multiplatform titles given the very significant hardware and speed differential in the I/O side. 'If' the developers spend the effort required for it of course.

Last edited:

Omegaking

Banned
Looks 10X better than Demon's Souls to me. I don't know what crack some people are on. The animations and enemy design alone wipe the floor not to mention wtf did bluepoint did. They just created graphics upgrade to an existing game. This bluepoint praising has gotten ridiculously stupid.
Not even close, played 9 hours of the test and it’s not even comparable to demons soul intern of graphics or performance. Playing in performance mode was a slide show any time you are fighting anything.

Frame pacing has nothing to do with capped or uncapped.

Instead unique frames like 123456789 you have some weird repetitions like 122345556…
Again. There is frame-pacing issue when the FS games are capped at 30fps. Here they all run up to 60fps, with traditionnal framerate drops but no the usual 30fps frame-pacing seen in Bloodborne.

Alright, im starting to believe that there is a real tool issue here for XsX. Coming into this gen i was a bit concerned about how the PS5 would hold up in multiplats. That was quickly addressed with early lunch titles favoring PS5. But now its been over a year and on Avg the PS5 has better performance with multiplats. I truly thought it would be a minimum of ~10 percent advantage in favor of XsX in most cases but it just isn't. When do we just conclude that the PS5 is the more capable machine?

When do we just conclude that the PS5 is the more capable machine?

It depends on what the game needs to be honest.

I don't mean to get people to rage but each system has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some cases the XSX will win and in others the PS5 will win. It's not like one system is superior in all ways compared to the other where massive differences will be apparent in every single title.

3liteDragon

It depends on what the game needs to be honest.

I don't mean to get people to rage but each system has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some cases the XSX will win and in others the PS5 will win. It's not like one system is superior in all ways compared to the other where massive differences will be apparent in every single title.
And we’re talking about third-party comparisons here, where the current-gen feature set in these consoles aren’t even being used. 2 years from now, current-gen only game comparisons will be a whole different story.

ethomaz

Banned
Again. There is frame-pacing issue when the FS games are capped at 30fps. Here they all run up to 60fps, with traditionnal framerate drops but no the usual 30fps frame-pacing seen in Bloodborne.
False.

Dark Souls 3 have frame pacing issue on PC in any framerate… the only thing that is different is that with higher framerate the bad framepacing is less perceptible.

Sekiro has too.

It is a engine issue where the frame are repeated in a non-ordered way no matter the framerate… it happens even in 240fps… it just that in 240fps it is really hard to notice it.

Last edited:

Schnozberry

Very odd that PS5 seems to have a performance advantage for the majority of the test, but the Xbox jumps ahead during fast traversal?

Hopefully all versions improve before release. Can't really see myself throwing down the cash for this if the performance is this uneven.

Vagos48

Alright, im starting to believe that there is a real tool issue here for XsX. Coming into this gen i was a bit concerned about how the PS5 would hold up in multiplats. That was quickly addressed with early lunch titles favoring PS5. But now its been over a year and on Avg the PS5 has better performance with multiplats. I truly thought it would be a minimum of ~10 percent advantage in favor of XsX in most cases but it just isn't. When do we just conclude that the PS5 is the more capable machine?
It's like the 360/ PS3 era , but reversed. The XSX has better specs but design limitations (split memory speed, IO CPU dependant , less compression, wider GPU which is more difficult to feed), whereas PS5 is more efficient (better IO performance ,AMD smart shift , unified memory speed, higher GPU clock).

Lysandros

Very odd that PS5 seems to have a performance advantage for the majority of the test, but the Xbox jumps ahead during fast traversal?

Hopefully all versions improve before release. Can't really see myself throwing down the cash for this if the performance is this uneven.
Maybe this is due to lacking motion blur, especially if the sample strength is tied to speed.

Darsxx82

Very very rare cases within hundreds of games released during a year where it has also been seen even equally rare cases where XSeries shows faster loads (more lighter differences, of course).

The general line is the "equality" and certainly not to PS5 with loading twice as fast as XS and that has become a norm or trend as he said exists ...

When these begin to see the same cases repeatedly and become a clear majority, then it will make sense to speak of tendency. Right now it isn't.

Lysandros

It's like the 360/ PS3 era , but reversed. The XSX has better specs but design limitations (split memory speed, IO CPU dependant , less compression, wider GPU which is more difficult to feed), whereas PS5 is more efficient (better IO performance ,AMD smart shift , unified memory speed, higher GPU clock).
? I don't think this is remotely comparable to PS3/x360 situation, those were vastly different architectures.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
? I don't think this is remotely comparable to PS3/x360 situation, those were vastly different architectures.
Nvidia actually said that the ps3 gpu had more tflops than the 360. And the cell had 7-8 cpu cores/threads/whatever they were calling it while the xenon processor had just 3.

In reality The 250 gflops ps3 gpu was more like a 170 gflops gpu compared to the 240 gflops 360 gpu and the 360 cpu was able to do just as many calculations as the cell. I think someone ran a ballerina demo and found they were both 100 gflops.

Its been a while so my specs might be a bit off but Both Sony and nvidia had touted the cell and the rsx as more powerful while the 360 guys remained silent with big dick confidence knowing the final games would inevitably show the difference.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Wow, very clear winner here, it's quite stunning. Glad I'm not in that other camp. Seriously embarrassing. Can't believe people would even accept that. Only one option folks, there it is. Can't deny the truth. Definitely.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is it the PS5 I/O that keeps delivering better framerates than XSX? Loadspeeds are obvious in favor of PS5 tho' - but it seems a few people within DF are baffled everytime it comes out on top, performance-wise.
After a full year of ps5 winning several face offs, they need to stop being baffled. It was tools at launch, baffling today or perhaps they were wrong to question cerny and insinuate ps5 was 9 tflops.

We discussed this and it seems the combination of the ps5 io, the higher clocks and the Xsx sticking more CUs in shader arrays than normal is probably what’s contributing to ps5 keeping up with the 18% faster xsx gpu.

When xsx does win, it wins big like in hitman, metro and doom so maybe it is due to different engines preferring higher CUs vs higher clocks.

Top Bottom