• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Dying Light on Nintendo Switch Tech Review - Another Miracle Mobile Port?

CamHostage

we are almost in 2022, so the shock value of an (greatly depreciated) switch port is not there for me. Witcher 3 showed us the pinnacle of switch conversions in terms of development difficulty.

The fact that it's 2022 doesn't make it any easier to port complex games to Switch.

Witcher 3 is an amazing port, everything else stands to compare against it, but the fact that it was ported well doesn't mean that no other Switch port needs to be looked at because if Witcher could do it then everybody could do it... obviously that's not the case. It's not about "shock value" This isn't a battle of who will take the "Best Port" crown, it's an analysis of whether a given game is worth buying on is particular platform (particularly games on custom engines, or games ported by studios who haven't converted a game for Switch yet.) Each new release asks a new question: should you spend your money on this or will it let you down because of technical failings?

Ultimately, that's DF's job, to look and see how well a version of a game people are interested in works out, and to give some insight into how they did it. They're just doing what they do. I get if you get annoyed by what you feel is hyperbole, but if you're tired of hearing about Switch ports, simply don't tune in.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

"Miracle".

The game came out nearly ~6 years ago. The switch came out ~4 years ago. 🤔

A game running sufficiently on the Switch should be an expectation, not a miracle.

How deep are people sticking their heads in the sand, in order to convince themselves that "it isn't about the hardware". Yet the irony is port begging on Switch is extremely common. Can't have it both ways people.

The game came out nearly ~6 years ago. The switch came out ~4 years ago. 🤔

A game running sufficiently on the Switch should be an expectation, not a miracle.

How deep are people sticking their heads in the sand, in order to convince themselves that "it isn't about the hardware". Yet the irony is port begging on Switch is extremely common. Can't have it both ways people.
It’s going to be this way until switch 2 comes out.

Anyways Redneckerz Redneckerz no where did I say this was low effort porting, which is different than saying i’m unimpressed. Ultimately, of course it was a good effort port in terms of it being a 30 to 30fps transition in an open world.

The difference with doom is, disregarding your condescension, is that it was the pinnacle of 1993 PC game engineering ported to an older console which, at the time was designed for completely different games. Sidescrollers and sprites at high fps.

Switch runs on an architecture which is not only modern concurrent to when dying light was released, but the MOST modern architecture of the time. Nvidia Maxwell.

The difference between DL and Witcher 3 are, with regards to my dismissal of DL :

A. Witcher 3 is a more impressive game, and on PC was the premier graphical showcase at release.

B. It’s late 2021, 2 years later. When we know something has been achieved before, and in fact to a greater degree, earlier ; it’s not a miracle, it’s a known capability.

C : Dying light is not a good game, so of course i’m not interested. But that’s neither here nor there in a technical discussion.

You all can continue to pretend these ports are miraculous and remain astonished by them, but I will not. I simply want more, from a machine I exclusively play at home on the TV. And if you get so riled by this, you’ve got an unhealthy relationship to a piece of plastic.

*Mic drop

The fact that it's 2022 doesn't make it any easier to port complex games to Switch.

Witcher 3 is an amazing port, everything else stands to compare against it, but the fact that it was ported well doesn't mean that no other Switch port needs to be looked at because if Witcher could do it then everybody could do it... obviously that's not the case. It's not about "shock value" This isn't a battle of who will take the "Best Port" crown, it's an analysis of whether a given game is worth buying on is particular platform (particularly games on custom engines, or games ported by studios who haven't converted a game for Switch yet.) Each new release asks a new question: should you spend your money on this or will it let you down because of technical failings?

Ultimately, that's DF's job, to look and see how well a version of a game people are interested in works out, and to give some insight into how they did it. They're just doing what they do. I get if you get annoyed by what you feel is hyperbole, but if you're tired of hearing about Switch ports, simply don't tune in.
Bro if they want to describe the port in a certain way, they can definitely catch criticism of that. They could just stick to the facts, i.e. resolution and differences, and then I would not say anything.

But they also give opinion pieces, and when they’re posted on gaf, it’s open season. The fact is I am interested in the technical aspects, but DF doesn’t stay neutral on those aspects and they are often wrong on their conclusions, I find.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Anyways Redneckerz Redneckerz no where did I say this was low effort porting, which is different than saying i’m unimpressed.
You don't have to say the literal words to express what you actually mean. You find this unimpressive, because there are other examples doing it better.

Leaving in mind that they run on completely different engines, by completely different studio's, and thus completely different code. Some code is more portable than other - None of us can be sure which subsystems are better portable since we don't have literal access to them.

And that's the thing. You find it unimpressive because you aren't taking that into account. You just say: I found the original already unimpressive, so this is aswell. Just look at the cuts.

Ultimately, of course it was a good effort port in terms of it being a 30 to 30fps transition in an open world.
So can atleast accept that.
The difference with doom is, disregarding your condescension, is that it was the pinnacle of 1993 PC game engineering ported to an older console which, at the time was designed for completely different games. Sidescrollers and sprites at high fps.
And to do that it completely cheated its way through since it needs the SuperFX and its not even the original engine doing it. To put it back to Dying Light, the game would have had to run a fully different engine.

It does not. Its the same engine. That's why people call it impressive - Because the same visual make up, albeit reduced, appears.

C : Dying light is not a good game, so of course i’m not interested. But that’s neither here nor there in a technical discussion.
No, that's personal conjecture which you are bolstering to strengthen your point which is a poor thing to do. The game quality itself has nothing to do with the technical make up but here we are. And besides that, majority opinion does not rule in your favor there.
You all can continue to pretend these ports are miraculous and remain astonished by them, but I will not.
Using an ad populum does not do you favors. You simply do not want to accept that people are out there understanding why this is an impressive port - You just dismiss that outright, or point to The Witcher 3, so obviously this cannot be impressive either.

Forcing your view of the world as absolute to others is a shitty thing to do in any real world scenario - Fortunately, this is just a game on a video game forum. Because if we apply this train of thought to real issues, you get very strange scenario's.
I simply want more, from a machine I exclusively play at home on the TV. And if you get so riled by this, you’ve got an unhealthy relationship to a piece of plastic.
So you use the Switch for the one thing its least equipped to do - TV. And then act needlessly greedy when 5 year old tech is not cutting anymore on TV.

Why not buy a Switch Lite then? Solves your issue of having the choice of playing on TV. Because clearly you don't like it that you have the choice to play on TV

Or better yet - Buy a Steam Deck. Solves all your problems and you can play that on TV too.

*Mic drop
So you want me to believe you enact in good faith when you shimmer with the idea of putting people on ignore and then you go do this kind of thing. Who was talking about unhealthy relationships to a piece of plastic again?

Bro if they want to describe the port in a certain way, they can definitely catch criticism of that. They could just stick to the facts, i.e. resolution and differences, and then I would not say anything.
Maybe in the future the DF team can be replaced by bots you can leave any sight of human interest out if sticking to the facts is the premium here.

You don't have to say the literal words to express what you actually mean. You find this unimpressive, because there are other examples doing it better.

Leaving in mind that they run on completely different engines, by completely different studio's, and thus completely different code. Some code is more portable than other - None of us can be sure which subsystems are better portable since we don't have literal access to them.

And that's the thing. You find it unimpressive because you aren't taking that into account. You just say: I found the original already unimpressive, so this is aswell. Just look at the cuts.

So can atleast accept that.

And to do that it completely cheated its way through since it needs the SuperFX and its not even the original engine doing it. To put it back to Dying Light, the game would have had to run a fully different engine.

It does not. Its the same engine. That's why people call it impressive - Because the same visual make up, albeit reduced, appears.

No, that's personal conjecture which you are bolstering to strengthen your point which is a poor thing to do. The game quality itself has nothing to do with the technical make up but here we are. And besides that, majority opinion does not rule in your favor there.

Using an ad populum does not do you favors. You simply do not want to accept that people are out there understanding why this is an impressive port - You just dismiss that outright, or point to The Witcher 3, so obviously this cannot be impressive either.

Forcing your view of the world as absolute to others is a shitty thing to do in any real world scenario - Fortunately, this is just a game on a video game forum. Because if we apply this train of thought to real issues, you get very strange scenario's.

So you use the Switch for the one thing its least equipped to do - TV. And then act needlessly greedy when 5 year old tech is not cutting anymore on TV.

Why not buy a Switch Lite then? Solves your issue of having the choice of playing on TV. Because clearly you don't like it that you have the choice to play on TV

Or better yet - Buy a Steam Deck. Solves all your problems and you can play that on TV too.

So you want me to believe you enact in good faith when you shimmer with the idea of putting people on ignore and then you go do this kind of thing. Who was talking about unhealthy relationships to a piece of plastic again?

Maybe in the future the DF team can be replaced by bots you can leave any sight of human interest out if sticking to the facts is the premium here.
I’m not touching any of that. You’re a very disingenuous poster that’s easy to ignore.

Switch is just as much a home console as it is a portable; hiding behind “oh it’s a mobile platform” is ignoring half its purpose.

Last edited:

rushgore

Good port. But the video got me thinking on how horrendous it must feel like to play a low FOV 30 fps (with some drops) first person game on a small display using analog sticks with 2 centimeters of movement at most.

Interesting. I would only play the first party output of Nintender on this machine.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Too many cuts for my taste, overall not bad. The game is 7 year old though. A few more cuts and even a PS2, DC port is within range, feasible.

Surprised Meme GIF
road rage lol GIF by Justin Gammon

Sq4cwCH.jpg
L1w4m6q.jpg

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I’m not touching any of that. You’re a very disingenuous poster that’s easy to ignore.
Right, i am adressing your points and i get where you are going.

If you are going to do mic drops, at least say something that factually sticks instead of intertwining personal conjecture and passing it on as if it were what everyone else thinks.

You may not like my tone, you may find me disingenuous. All that's fair game. What's not is throwing smokescreens with baity phrasing
Switch is just as much a home console as it is a portable; hiding behind “oh it’s a mobile platform” is ignoring half its purpose.
And for that exact reason Switch Lite exists.

I dunno, you want more, so a Switch successor or upgrade, and in the meantime you belittle the little system that would for not meeting your demands - using what is its lesser strength (TV) as the outline.

Hence why i said to consider a Steam Deck. Your power and performance issue would be gone.
😂

I don't mean to shit post. It really is how I feel about these exaggerated DF videos. I just like them to say it how it is.
Well then. I am sure they will notice!
I will never understand why these people are so butthurt over these ports. I think it's pretty cool to have games like The Witcher 3, Dying Light, Alien Isolation, Doom, Dark Souls, Diablo and countless other great games portable. I say keep the ports coming. As long as they are handled with care that is.
Nuh-uh, you are ignoring half of its potential here.

There is a group for which the Switch with all its options is never good enough. Or its disappointing in TV, or in handheld, or the tabletop sucks.

Calling Dying Light on Switch unimpressive is ignoring where it came from + having to port a framework to a level of machine never intended in mind to host.

I will never understand why these people are so butthurt over these ports. I think it's pretty cool to have games like The Witcher 3, Dying Light, Alien Isolation, Doom, Dark Souls, Diablo and countless other great games portable. I say keep the ports coming. As long as they are handled with care that is.
Yep. Have all those including dragon quest 11, Dragons dogma, Catherine, smt 3, kingdom of amalaur, red faction guerrilla, Valkeria chronicles 1and 4, doom 2016, doom 1-3, ff7 - 12, ys 8 and 9, dark souls, borderlands leg col, bioshock col, xcom2, civ 6, city skylines, tropico 6, everspace, diablo 2, diablo 3, torchlight 2, skyrim, saints row 3, etc..

Would love some gta love and some fallout but I don't see either happening sadly.

Switch has been a portable gamers dream come true. I wanted this witb the vita and it didn't happen outside of killzone, gravity rush, and uncharted which were first party and a good borderlands 2 port (at the time).

I have a ps4 and a pc with 3060ti. If I want graphics I go to the latter. Switch is for playing games on the toilet, while working, on the porch, camping, at a hospital, park, etc...

Romulus

Who's butthurt? Most people are just sick of people acting like these switch ports are incredible miracles from heaven when there are huge sacrifices. It makes sense why they work, they're cut down drastically in most cases.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I will never understand why these people are so butthurt over these ports.

Remind some folks here this is a DF analysis, not a "look its a port for Switch let's all praise" thread.
Calling it a miracle its a freaking hyperbole, nothing people say will make it sound any different.
Switch has a great ports that I would totally agree being even called miracle. Dragon Quest XI S, although have different textures, its a pretty solid game for a port, offering not only the DQ experience but a lot more. Witcher 3 is beyond anything the hardware could emulate and it's even not that old, yet its there as well, despite its caviat. One that ports to any console with the minimal amounts of cuts wins easly a praise from me.

But the best hyperbole come from you guys that think people have problem with ports. I don't for instance, but it doesn't mean I will praise blindly anything just because its coming to Switch, let alone PS4. Doom Switch is not a good port in my eyes because it's a freaking blurry fest. Hows one is supposed to see something clearly out in that game is beyond me. It's not about the port itself, but the quality of the port(which I believe it should be win for everyone).

Romulus

You, clearly, since you get triggered by posts like mine, and the fact that Switch gets great third party support with a lot of great ports.

Oh so no one is. Gotcha. My god, everything is "triggered" or "butthurt" lmao. Theres no rule we have be blown away by these ports. They're fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom