• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Doom Eternal Switch: The Making Of An 'Impossible' Port - id Software/Panic Button Interview

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Thought Doom Eternal Switch was a passing station? Digital Foundry returns with almost an hour (!) of juicy info on what brought the Nintendo Switch port of Doom Eternal to reality.

It's the interview we've been waiting years to do! Just how is it possible to get games like Doom Eternal ported over to Nintendo Switch? What does it take to make an 'impossible port' like this a reality? John @dark10x Linneman talks with Panic Button Lead Engineer Travis Archer and id Software's Lead Engine Programmer Billy Khan to talk all things Switch and id Tech!

What's discussed: (Ballpoints)
  • Why mesh detail is at the highest grade
  • Why cutscenes run at 20 FPS
  • Why motion blur was removed from the game
  • How the rendering backend works compared to other platforms like PC and last-gen consoles (Level-of-detail changes, culling, shadows, the works)
  • What scenes proved the most troublesome for Panic Button
  • Some good advice on how developers see their games and how players see it
  • What Panic Button/iD Software want to see from a possible Switch 2
  • Why Panic Button has what appears to be some kind of Doom branded battery or bar
  • And lastly, some perspectives on working from home during the current COVID-19 pandemic

UnNamed

Banned
To me, The Witcher 3 and Crysis Remasteresld are more impressive imho, Sabre did a good job on Alien Isolation too.

I'm disappointed they didn't put an option to enable post-processing effects if you want, because on Doom is a part of it's aesthetic.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
To me, The Witcher 3 and Crysis Remasteresld are more impressive imho, Sabre did a good job on Alien Isolation too.

I'm disappointed they didn't put an option to enable post-processing effects if you want, because on Doom is a part of it's aesthetic.
They explained why this is removed. Enabling it would mean lose of consistency and less stable framerates.

Hugare

Exactly this

I'm always kinda mad when people say that Panic Button are making "impossible ports" (specially DF, they should know better)

Panic Button always port 60 fps games. Always. Warframe, Doom, Wolfenstein, Rocket League and etc. It's WAY easier than porting a 30 fps current gen game.

They are ok ports. They cut out 30 fps, turn off a bunch of effects, reduce texture resolution and etc.

Now Saber is the shit. They ported motherfucking Crysis AND The Witcher 3.

Their Alien Isolation port even look better than current gen version due to its AA technique.

With Crysis they put fucking SVOGI on it.
Insane.

The guys at Saber are the ones that I would like to hear more about.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
They explained why this is removed. Enabling it would mean lose of consistency and less stable framerates.
I know, but I'm one of those (very) (few) people who prefers aesthetic over framerate, when framerate is not impacted too much. 25fps as the minimum framerate and/or a lower resolution is not a big problem for me. I had no big issues with Doom 2016.

CamHostage

I'm always kinda mad when people say that Panic Button are making "impossible ports" (specially DF, they should know better)

Panic Button always port 60 fps games. Always. Warframe, Doom, Wolfenstein, Rocket League and etc. It's WAY easier than porting a 30 fps current gen game...

Now Saber is the shit. They ported motherfucking Crysis AND The Witcher 3... The guys at Saber are the ones that I would like to hear more about.

I'm not as down on Panic Button having it easy as you are, but yes, Saber Interactive is doing some crazy work. I'm very curious to see what comes of their World War Z port, because that game is doing everything you should leave to the big consoles that can handle it. Swarms of enemies in online game sessions, that's not something you can hide with some texture and effects replacements and a discrete framerate dip.

maxresdefault.jpg

(*Console version)

Last edited:
Top Bottom