• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Doom Eternal Switch Tech Review: The Most Ambitious Port Yet... But Is It The Best?

Fake

Why didn’t he compare it to the Xbox one s instead of the one x?

He explain on the video. Was the only console he had the game installed. He spend most of the time playing on PC.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Once again its a blurry mess. Might be a good archievement, but this drawback its too distracting for me no matter how Dark keeps praising.

Kuranghi

I wish all games were made by people who have the understanding that the tech guys at id software do, for things like frame-pacing, DRS and massive scaling like this. So many games just have annoying inherent issues (Unity engine games I'm looking at you) that you'd think they would've fixed by now

Look at the fire from the "boosters" when he just starts to compare it with the X1X version, its so degraded in quality if you really scrutinise it but its actually just the right amount that you won't notice a huge difference due to the resolution, unless you are playing on a 65"+ TV and I think thats pretty amazing considering Switch games are, initially at least, made to be played on a 6.2" screen.

Look how much upscaling you have to do to display 480p on a 4K screen, its making up so much data:

Resolutions.png

I think if someone wants the best experience with these id Switch games its best to play handheld it seems. Especially if your 4K TV has a shite upscaler that makes 720p look bad, let alone 480p in a 720p container.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Do you know where to find uncompressed footage for games? I want to check how this this or previous doom looked on Switch so I can recommend it to a friend that only has a Switch atm

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Why didn’t he compare it to the Xbox one s instead of the one x?
I don't see why it really matters, its just a comparison to other consoles. Maybe just drop the res on Youtube to 720p and thats lower than XB1 and that may give a better comparison as XBX is just higher res than XB1.

Yes its a good conversion and there aren't that many cut backs at all. Imagine being in the 80's and you have to convert Thunderblade or Afterburner into a 48k Spectrum.

jaysius

Banned
A fantastic achievement considering the hardware limitations.
This bullshit has to end some day, Nintendo keeps choosing to make underpowered shit at nearly the same price as its competitors. It always gets this bullshit apologist bullshit.

Fuck Nintendo this is 2020 this thing looks like shit PERIOD.

Judge these ports at LEAST against LAST GEN(PS4/Xbox One BASE units).

They‘re still asking FULL RETAIL price for this game it needs to be at parity, stop looking dumb and bending over backwards because Nintendo CHOSE weak trash hardware for their gimmick.

This has been going on since god damn Gamecube.

Stop with the “good for Nintendo“ modifier shit.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
They‘re still asking FULL RETAIL price for this game it needs to be at parity, stop looking dumb and bending over backwards because Nintendo CHOSE weak trash hardware for their gimmick.

And you call me fucking dumb? Parity?

Actually, you're right. I'm outraged Doom Eternal on the Switch isn't on par with the PC version. Lets see, PC recommended specs....
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or Intel Core i9-9900K
  • GPU: AMD Radeon VII (16GB) or Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (11GB)
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Available Storage Space: 50GB
Yep, parity should have been easily achieved.

Dumbass.

jaysius

Banned

Actually, you're right. I'm outraged Doom Eternal on the Switch isn't on par with the PC version. Lets see, PC recommended specs....

Dumbass.
You didn’t read my comment correctly... DUMBASS. It needs parity with at LEAST last gen.
Nintendo made a bed it needs to sleep in it but it’s fans are the absolute WORST apologists.

Nintendo chose the shitty specs they have. Stop doing logic loops pretending it’s ok.

Last edited:

Lethal01

This bullshit has to end some day, Nintendo keeps choosing to make underpowered shit at nearly the same price as its competitors. It always gets this bullshit apologist bullshit.

The games are fun sooo. nah.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think people should stop buying switches, so this tablet level HW ever gets update. Imagine paying full price for this shit

Saber

Gold Member
The games are fun sooo. nah.

As much as I disagree with the tone, I kinda agree with his point.

This "hardware limitations" is just a very poor excuse to throw anything you can, not matter the cost. Because at the end of the day, any game ported to Switch will be a "achievement", no matter how it looks or runs. Thats the reason why things like ARK exists. And we ain't talking about fun aspects, otherwise whatever the player feels like its fun its "a good port"(not the point of comparisons video I believe).
And its not like there are relativelly impressive ports on Switch. DQ11 still amazes me.

With all due respect to John, that's a pretty weak excuse

I totally agree. I'm not sure what went wrong, if this stupid thing of connecting to Bethesda didn't help. But I felt like it was more of praising than a comparison video.

Enjay

Banned

Dumbass.
Based on the complete misunderstanding of his post in this reply, you are dumb.

Ozzie666

Makes you wonder if ID actually made the game from scratch on the Switch, just how far they could push the hard ware. I don't think we've seen anyone outside Nintendo really push the hard ware in the traditional sense as Nintendo games are more stylistic than technical.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Makes you wonder if ID actually made the game from scratch on the Switch, just how far they could push the hard ware. I don't think we've seen anyone outside Nintendo really push the hard ware in the traditional sense as Nintendo games are more stylistic than technical.
It was co-developed with Panic Button working directly with Id and then still taking some time tinkering with it afterwards. In a fully redone game I would have expected to have a bit more different visuals but either 60 FPS or per object motion blur (or both) and that is the bit that I would have wanted to say to D dark10x ... that the game at 30 FPS without motion blur does err on the side of looking like modern DOOM but does not feel it (which to be fair was the same issue with DOOM 2016 and yes I know that by the standards of Impossible looking ports for the HW it does a good job).

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

Nintendo should do games not hardware. Their games are phenomenal. Their hardware useless. I don't touch a Nintendo console from the Nintendo 64. I refuse to spend my money in overpriced dated hardware. The only thing which tempt me it's the portability. But the price keeps me away to the Switch. I would be happy to pay for a Switch with decent specs.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
You didn’t read my comment correctly... DUMBASS. It needs parity with at LEAST last gen.
Nintendo made a bed it needs to sleep in it but it’s fans are the absolute WORST apologists.

Nintendo chose the shitty specs they have. Stop doing logic loops pretending it’s ok.

Man, while I agree with the principle of the thing, even if your tone is harsh and let's say unfriendly and as much as I don't like hardware as underpowered as the Switch because it was ancient by the time it was introduced...Nintendo can't hear you over all the money they are making, so, you are screaming into the wind.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I hate to complain but the timing of this video is a bummer. I was really hoping for John's analysis closer to release as I know how much he enjoyed the original and the window for getting Doom 64 for free has passed. We got so many flipping Cyberpunk 2077 videos from DF, but I guess you have to go where the clicks are.

John's preamble is strange too, but maybe he got a lot of complaints with his previous Switch port coverage.

I think if someone wants the best experience with these id Switch games its best to play handheld it seems. Especially if your 4K TV has a shite upscaler that makes 720p look bad, let alone 480p in a 720p container.

The bummer with handheld is playing with the Joy-Cons which would be my least favorite controller option.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Man, while I agree with the principle of the thing, even if your tone is harsh and let's say unfriendly tone and as much as I don't like hardware as underpowered as the Switch because it was ancient by the time it was introduced...Nintendo can't hear you over all the money they are making, so, you are screaming into the wind.
My original post wasn’t so “harsh“ when the person didn’t read what I had wrote was when I had the issue.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The Switch is an amazing handheld and not dated at all. For that price and battery life its great. For games like these it just doesnt work as as a console though, the power increase docked is just too little. Not sure if that can be fixed.

Kenpachii

looks like shit, half the time u need glasses the other half of the time i feel like playing some heavy nuked version of it from models to attacks.

Guess its a nice tech demo but that's about it.

Last edited:

You mean Wii, aka 1 1/2 Gamecubes ducttaped together. The Cube held its own against the XBox.

FireFly

The reason to buy a Switch is to be able to play the same game in both docked and portable modes. In order for that for happen, the power consumption needs to be limited to 10W - 15W, which means that home console level performance is not achievable on the same process. 3+ years after the launch of the Switch, we finally have integrated graphics that can approximate the performance of a last gen console. So if they were launching today, it would be achievable.

Stuart360

I'm getting so tired of the constant 'what an amazing achievement' with these Switch ports, DF do it themselves too. Yeah its a nice achievement getting these games working on Switch, but they are still shit versions, much worse versions than elsewhere, and versions most of these 'fantastic achievement' people wouldnt even play over other versions.

Hugare

I still believe Crysis for Nintendo Switch is their best work.
Crysis was done by Saber Interactive, not Panic Button. Who also made the port for The Witcher 3 and Alien Isolation.

Panic Button always do a decent-good job, but they port 60 fps games, usually.
Warframe, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein, all at 60 fps. It facilitates the port job.

Saber Interactive ported The Witcher 3 and Crysis, ffs. Two games that were resource hogs during their prime, and runsa t 30 fps even on current gen.
Same with Alien Isolation, offering a better AA solution than the original game, making IQ even better than current gen versions.

So yeah, tho Panic Button is ok at doing ports, Saber is the real deal imo.

Last edited:

Closer

DF did and said it's the worst way to play the game. They praised the technical achievement of porting the game and getting so much of it running in a extreme low power hardware.

Azurro

Banned
My original post wasn’t so “harsh“ when the person didn’t read what I had wrote was when I had the issue.

Yeah man, but still, there's no need to be rude. And like I said, no matter what we say, Nintendo is making hundreds of millions with their shit hardware so, why even bother complaining?

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

There's no apple to apple to comparison for the Switch, so who's the retard here? Are those consoles able to be played portably? Pure retard moment right there.

Crysis was done by Saber Interactive, not Panic Button. Who also made the port for The Witcher 3 and Alien Isolation.

Panic Button always do a decent-good job, but they port 60 fps games, usually.
Warframe, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein, all at 60 fps. It facilitates the port job.

Saber Interactive ported The Witcher 3 and Crysis, ffs. Two games that were resource hogs during their prime, and runsa t 30 fps even on current gen.
Same with Alien Isolation, offering a better AA solution than the original game, making IQ even better than current gen versions.

So yeah, tho Panic Button is ok at doing ports, Saber is the real deal imo.
I have to agree. Panic button does chop jobs, as I call them. With that said, I think their decision to disable motion blur is correct for doom. Because the sub 720p graphics, heavy TAA and motion blur on top of that would just make an already blurry game even worse. I'm convinced Saber would've done better, though.

Witcher 3, after the patch that lets you turn off the awful TAA, actually looks pretty damn respectable on switch, and really runs no worse than the other console versions. At least, not significantly so. That is impressive. Switch is also the only version which is complete physically, with the dlc being on the game card. Unless they printed new discs for the ps4 version?

Last edited:

scydrex

Seriously who buy this type of game on Switch? On top of that at full price. It's even worthy to release third party games on Swtich? From what I see the games that sells a lot is first party mostly. 360p and 540p and full price. Ok I understand the hardware fine but at full price? It dosen't matter if it's an old game or new is always full price.

Top Bottom