• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct - Spider-Man: Miles Morales PS5 Gameplay Reaction - Ray Tracing, Image Quality + More

Senua

I feel these threads are always tainted first by the comments above that anticipate the shite comments, you've already done it yerself guys!

Anyways it does look great, though the 60fps footage I saw earlier was the bombbbb, or was that the first spiderman on ps5?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Great looking next gen game coming at launch... what would ‘SonyGAF’ have to be mad about exactly?
Digital Foundry being positive about a Sony title goes against the SonyGAF narrative that DF are Microsoft shills.
So they need to nitpick something in the video to be angry at anyway, because simply giving Digital Foundry juice is not part of the SonyGAF manifesto.

FunkMiller

Digital Foundry being positive about a Sony title goes against the SonyGAF narrative that DF are Microsoft shills.
So they need to nitpick something in the video to be angry at anyway, because simply giving Digital Foundry juice is not part of the SonyGAF manifesto.

Well, that would be a bit silly. It was a very even handed analysis, and Playstations fans should be very happy to have such great new games to play at launch on the Ps5. And I’m sure they are. I certainly am.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Can't watch the video now, but isn't there a 60fps mode. I thought Insomniac said there was. I guess that just turns off RT?
There is but they don't know the extent of the cutbacks, they think it may just be resolution drop but will have to examine when they get their hands on it.

geordiemp

Can't watch the video now, but isn't there a 60fps mode. I thought Insomniac said there was. I guess that just turns off RT?

They said in the video a few important points

• The 60 FPS mode shows no signs at moment of reducing ray tracing, to be confirmed
  • They need ot see more footage of the 60 FPS mode than what they looked at near the end
  • Solid frame rates
  • There is a very high quality Temporal and per pixel motion blurr in effect, DF could not tell the native resolutions anyway

Looks like there i a new temporal method in town on the 60 FPS if it keeps ray tracing. More to be revealed.

They were very complementary, best looking console game as of now

Last edited:

FunkMiller

• The 60 FPS mode shows no signs at moment of reducing ray tracing, to eb confirmed
  • They need ot see more footage of the 60 FPS mode than what they looked at near the end
  • Solid frame rates
  • There is a very high quality Temporal and per pixel motion blurr in effect, DF could not tell the native resolutions anyway

Looks like there i a new temporal method in town on the 60 FPS if it keeps ray tracing. More to be revealed.

Do not underestimate the power of PlayStation? 😋

N30RYU

Alex featuring in a video about a Sony exclusive - this thread isn't going to end well.

"Hello John! Excited to talk about Marvel's..............Miles...........whatever it's called, yeah.........." - oooh, SonyGAF gonna be mad :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well... he saved the video with the "raytracing AT LAUNCH, sure..." ending

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Good video good to see John in good spirits. But yea i agree with john probably insomniac's per pixel motion blur is amazing.Also it is fascinating to see how they are using SSR with Ray Traced to reflections to create more grounded reflections.

Last edited:

FranXico

• The 60 FPS mode shows no signs at moment of reducing ray tracing, to be confirmed
  • Solid frame rates

Not bad for a Toyota manufacturing style cheaply built console.

OT: Nice analysis from Alex what's-his-name.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Cant people just discuss the contenct of the video, instead of consipiracy theories and what their opinion of Alex is just for once.

Has anyone actiually watched it and wants to discuss the games graphics ?

John was quite enhusiastic

I‘m extremely pleased they’re highlighting just how next gen the Ps5 version is, even though it‘s cross gen. Sounds like they‘ve managed to leverage the power of the new console well.

I cannot wait for the Demon’s Souls analysis.

Garani

Great looking next gen game coming at launch... what would ‘SonyGAF’ have to be mad about exactly?

Oh, I don't know, like Alex "what's his name" trying to be funny but in reality coming out just as a salty sore looser?

• Solid frame rates

John added that they can't "pixel count". Thank God we may be do away with that shit. We still got the super slow-motion for 2 (I mean, litterally TWO) artifacts that no one will ever see while playing: 1) because you gotta slow it to 33% of framerate and b) you gotta magnify the screen.

Kind of lame that they are analysing video footage when so many people now have the actual console...

John, on twitter, hinted that they may be getting the console as well. Point is that Sony has sent no console to any European outlet. Oh, and we don't know if Sony released codes for Miles Morales yet. We do know that at least one American reviewer still hasn't gotten a Demon Soul code.

GreyHand23

• Solid frame rates

We already know the 60 FPS mode does not have raytracing. They should do a bit more research before they make these kinds of statements in their videos. I know Alex frequents Resetera quite frequently and an insomniac dev said it’s just SSR for 60. Dev also said that reflections are even more physically accurate now than when the footage was taken.

Tomeru

Kind of lame that they are analysing video footage when so many people now have the actual console...

They didnt get the console yet. I think they said no one in eu got it, and that it should arrive this week. Dont quite me on that.

They pointed out that with the advancements done to the temporal injection technique they are easily expecting almost near native 4K during gameplay

Garani

Eh. I’ve criticised the guy for his myopic analysis before, but had no issue with anything he says in this video. Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales is a cumbersome title.
This is why I wrote "trying to be funny". It came out cringe af. The tone of the video would have been better without the stupid joke.

Alex featuring in a video about a Sony exclusive - this thread isn't going to end well.

"Hello John! Excited to talk about Marvel's..............Miles...........whatever it's called, yeah.........." - oooh, SonyGAF gonna be mad :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Even though they both talked positively about the game. You can see the console warriors loving (or hating) that bit. He simply could not remember the exact wording of the title. I like that they leave interactions like that in, makes their videos more natural and less scripted feeling.

Are European outlets not receiving consoles this week? Also I imagine the first DF console will go to Richard as they are all working from home.

Orta

Banned
I have to say, that shopping mall scene with Rhino looks out of this world. Absolutely stunning in fact. Stick a PS5 and XSX is a game store window demoing that and something like Halo or Gears and there is only going to be one clear winner.

And I say that as somebody who isn't exactly a Playstation fan having several warnings and a ban to my name. Hell, I could even be convinced to buy one sooner rather than later, its that impressive.

Mister Wolf

I hope this DF beating temporal technique is a PS hardware feature and available as an easy add in for 3rd party, as not everyone has the ability of insomniac.

I am sure the DLSS crowd will like it.

"Spider-Man utilises Insomniac's temporal injection technique featured in Ratchet and Clank on PS4 Pro. While there is precious little information available on this technique, Insomniac seems to prefer this over typical checkerboarding. The results are mostly excellent - completely avoiding the stippling that can crop up with checkerboard rendering and producing detail that exceeds raw pixel count."

Its a feature of Insomniac's personal game engine and has long been used by them.

geordiemp

"Spider-Man utilises Insomniac's temporal injection technique featured in Ratchet and Clank on PS4 Pro. While there is precious little information available on this technique, Insomniac seems to prefer this over typical checkerboarding. The results are mostly excellent - completely avoiding the stippling that can crop up with checkerboard rendering and producing detail that exceeds raw pixel count."

Its a feature of Insomniac's personal game engine and has long been used by them.
#
Yes I know Insomniac have an excellent temporal technique, which just gets better and better, question is will it be an Insomniac only technique or could it be incorporatd in ps5.

We dont know yet whats in ps5 really, so its unknown. If Ps5 has a temporal upscaling maybe with some ML technique, which would Sony choose from their first party engines ?

Last edited:

GreyHand23

I sometimes think these DF threads on NG are nothing more than an alarm call for the Sony fan boys to go and downvote their videos...

The video is good though. Besides Alex probably purposefully forgetting the name of the game, there’s really no reason to downvote this.

Dr.D00p

I’m trying to work out why you’d think people would go downvote a video that is extremely positive (more positive than DF have been about any other game) about a Ps5 launch game.
The video is good though. Besides Alex probably purposefully forgetting the name of the game, there’s really no reason to downvote this.

...They're rabid fan boys, they don't need a reason other than to see 'Digital Foundry' being mentioned.

Garani

I sometimes think these DF threads on NG are nothing more than an alarm call for the Sony fan boys to go and downvote their videos...
Why should I downvote a video that says that Spiderman MM is the best next-gen game we have for any console at launch? Because they had to use a 33% speed and a magnifying glass to spot 2 inconsistencies?

Let's be fair: it's a good thing that they were at a loss for words.

Top Bottom