• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Special: Did The Last Of Us Part 1 Really Need A Remake?

EDMIX

This thread confirms for me that no matter how shit a game is, or how much a dev/publisher milk it’s users that there will always be a mass of imbeciles ready to throw cash at them.

And people wonder why gaming is in the state it’s in.

Damn people having free will and freedom must piss you off man.

Its not that big of a deal. I don't play lots of IP, I don't however have some narcissistic view that anyone else playing lets say COD or AC or any IP must be doing so to um "throw cash at them" or are "imbeciles". Jesus Christ man, take a breather, got outside, take a step back and respect that gamers are allowed to have different views then you.

Its not the end of the world and I'd say something is even more odd to believe that anyone not buying what you fucking like is a "imbecile" as if you buying something made you or I smart or something lol This is a fucking video game forum, we are just talking about games sir.... I can never understand how anyone gets this upset over someone having free will to buy a video game. The game being "shit" is an opinion based on you, not by the people buying the game, its a moot point and I'm shocked it needs to be stated. Its like saying someone is eating "shit" at McDonalds cause I don't like them, I'm pretty sure those that do like it don't think it taste like shit as I don't believe they are parting with their money for fun. We can debate games all day, debate quality, story etc, but man, this shit of attacking gamers for buying a game you disagree with needs to stop.

Grow up.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If that's how Sony wants to spend their time I guess it's ok. Nobody wanted a new game anyway.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really cant understant people who are complaining about the graphics, because the difference is just huge.

Clipboard02.jpg

I have played original game (PS4P version) just a few days ago, and no, it doesnt look good anymore by todays standards. Low poly models (details are usually painted on textures rather than made form polygons), flat lighting (with black crush), and fake shadows. Compared to that remake looks like a new game, and in HDR it's one of the best looking games currently.

Has anyone said it doesn't look amazing? Shit looks crazy good....that's far from my issue with it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Whats with the constant talk over whether this remake is worth it?. I only played the PS3 version, in fact it was the last console game i ever played, so the PC version of this remake is worth it to me.
If you dont think its worth it, dont buy it.
Whats with the constant talk over why its a constant talk about this game worth? I bought the game twice full price so the game is not worth it to me and I want to engage in a discussion about the game’s worth. If the game is worth it to you and you don’t like constant talk over whether this remake is worth it or not, don’t engage in the discussion.

Whats with the constant talk over whether this remake is worth it?. I only played the PS3 version, in fact it was the last console game i ever played, so the PC version of this remake is worth it to me.
If you dont think its worth it, dont buy it.
It's not worth the full price that's the issue but obviously it will drop in price in a few months so it's no big deal.

tommib

If you played the Original PS3 game or the PS4 Remaster, I can absolutely say this purchase is completely unnecessary - especially at $70 and NO Factions.

This is perhaps one of my favorite franchises of all time (yes, I adore TLoU2 as well), and even I can see this was made to keep Naughty Dog employees busy and cash in on the soon-to-be-released HBO series.
This was made to have the best version possible available on PC. This was made for PC gamers (and also released on PS5).

Last edited:

Lasha

Can’t wait for the crickets on “is it worth it” discussion when wind waker/twilight princess HD ports gets announced for 60 dollars

People will probably still bitch. TP hasn't been rereleased yet. Windwaker HD was cool but I think the Wii u crashed so hard that it barely counts.

tommib

After all this "is it worthy" Jim learned an important lesson. Next time he will just order ND to pull a nintendo remaster and make you pay 80 dollars for it. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Yes, Jim should hire whoever is making those amazing Switch versions of Skyward Sword, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country.

See, I find those absolutely fine and don’t care what Nintendo asks for those ports. Same way I don’t care what Sony asks for this Part I remake which compared to the Switch HD versions looks like from the future and has so much, so much love put in it.

The hate bonner for ND has become a complete circus that we even have threads like this.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, Jim should hire whoever is making those amazing Switch versions of Skyward Sword, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country.

See, I find those absolutely fine and don’t care what Nintendo asks for those ports. Same way I don’t care what Sony asks for this Part I remake which compared to the Switch HD versions looks like from the future and has so much, so much love put in it.

The hate bonner for ND has become a complete circus that we even have threads like this.
ND threads are filled with an angry mob with nothing better to do than enter and try to derail the discussion with whatever negativity they can summon and if it sticks it follows other threads about the game.

Filben

What does it mean if it "needed" a remake? To play on a current PlayStation console? No, because PS4 version works on PS5 and even old school PS3 people can still play it on that dusty thing. To play on PC? Yep, that's gonna need at least a port. To make it look significantly better and improve some of its gameplay? That's for sure needed a remake rather than a remaster.

As with almost everything, the market decides whether a remake of a decade old game is acceptable, or not. Just because most remakes were based off of more like two decade old games doesn't mean it has to be that way. If people buying stuff, stuff is gonna be produced. I mean, the only time Todd Howard was probably honest was when he was being asked how many times Skyrim's gonna be released and he said as often as people keep buying it.

So there's obviously some demand there.

OZ9000

Banned
It's worth it but not at its current price. The game looks amazing and it's still my favourite ND game to date.

If this was being sold for $30-40 then I would consider purchasing.

Last edited:
Has anyone said it doesn't look amazing? Shit looks crazy good....that's far from my issue with it.
Comments section under GmanLives review has it all. People frequently say original still looks good (that's not true), and they usually add PS5 version looks similar (that's also not true). Some even say PS5 doesnt look very good, because it looks similar to Part2 from PS4.

I have played the oringal PS3/PS4 version multiple times, but now it's the first time I cried during this first tragedy scene despite knowing what will happen. The thing is, character models in the original game looked like dolls (I will link this model comparison again), so it wasnt immersive experience. PS5 version however eleviate experience to the another level, because characters (especially their faces) looks very real now, so when they are dying you can almost believe these are real people. Death scenes are insanely impactful in PS5 version because of that and especially if you look into character eyes (and even their face muscles) in their last second before passing. Many people will play this game for the first time, and I bet they will be shocked even more, and especially female gamers.

With such amazing and detailed graphics I no longer run across levels in this game, because now I'm taking my time to admire small details, so it feels more like being on a real trip. This remake has the essence of the orignal game, but at the same time experience while playing it feels different. I think I would be really dissapointed if ND would changed everything that made original game so good, meaning use different voice actors (original voices are iconic to me), or changed the story, level layout. It would be a totally different game then. For example RE2-3 or FF7 remakes feels like different games to me (compared to the PSX original) and because of that I'm still waiting for a faithful remakes of these two games :p.

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
it is clearly a "very good" remaster where they remade or touched up everything in the forefront of the game and everything that felt even slightly dated.

I'd just argue that it wasn't really needed, but I'm sure it was done in order to train their team and expand their tech making money risk free. It just made sense, I guess.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Comments section under GmanLives review has it all. People frequently say original still looks good (that's not true), and they usually add PS5 version looks similar (that's also not true). Some even say PS5 doesnt look very good, because it looks similar to Part2 from PS4.

I have played the oringal PS3/PS4 version multiple times, but now it's the first time I cried during this first tragedy scene despite knowing what will happen. The thing is, character models in the original game looked like dolls (I will link this model comparison again), so it wasnt immersive experience. PS5 version however eleviate experience to the another level, because characters (especially their faces) looks very real now, so when they are dying you can almost believe these are real people. Death scenes are insanely impactful in PS5 version because of that and especially if you look into character eyes (and even their face muscles) in their last second before passing. Many people will play this game for the first time, and I bet they will be shocked even more, and especially female gamers.

With such amazing and detailed graphics I no longer run across levels in this game, because now I'm taking my time to admire small details, so it feels more like being on a real trip. This remake has the essence of the orignal game, but at the same time experience while playing it feels different. I think I would be really dissapointed if ND would changed everything that made original game so good, meaning use different voice actors (original voices are iconic to me), or changed the story, level layout. It would be a totally different game then. For example RE2-3 or FF7 remakes feels like different games to me (compared to the PSX original) and because of that I'm still waiting for a faithful remakes of these two games :p.

Clipboard02.jpg

The game was amazing on ps3 and hit me in the feels in the intro too. Like it hit almost anyone that played it in 2013.

Yes the new upgrade looks incredible but it's still the same game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Eh. Maybe include this discussion in the actual tech review of the game? Nah that would rather have a nerdgasm over some last gen shadows and lightning enhancements instead. I literally groaned when he boasted about fans casting shadows in a mirror reflections. Use your eyes you moron, does the game look like a ps5 game on par with even last gen games like HFW? No, then who gives a shit about fan shadows.

This game deserved a remake. But it deserved a true remake treatment. They needed tlou2 level design. Tlou2 combat mechanics. Simply porting AI upgrades to this game isn’t enough when you are leaving out all the enemy design and their new movesets. They didn’t just leave prone and dodge but also all of the amazing melee enhancements. They basically didn’t realize what made tlou2 so great.

Just like gow, this game deserved better. Better ps5 not ps4 quality visuals. More ambitious game design. And new combat improvements. If Re4 comes out next year and features just the same level design as the original, same bosses and enemies and setpieces with a ps4 quality visual upgrade, is DF going to ask if that game needed a remake too? Yes it needs a remake but a better one.

Fredrik

Price is a nonissue for me. I played through it on PS3 9 years ago, I can wait another year for the PS+ game-catalogue release.

Last edited:

tommib

To not create a earth-shattering event so soon for the console fanbase. They need to do it slowly. The PlayStation culture was created on console exclusives.

We can only speculate.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This thread confirms for me that no matter how shit a game is, or how much a dev/publisher milk it’s users that there will always be a mass of imbeciles ready to throw cash at them.

And people wonder why gaming is in the state it’s in.
Yeah, but it does look beautiful, so much detail.
I get people wanting it. Hell I want it, but i must resist because i know i just want to look at pretty graphics.

But HDR is not that good:

HDR works correctly, but depending on your TV results will vary, because of different dynamic tone mapping methods used by TV manufacturers. When TV has do downscale 8000 nits content for your specific panel then highlights can be too dim, or shadow details too dark. I hope Naughy(America)Dog can implementing HDR settings sliders, because most people have 500-1000 nits tv, so 8000 nits is way too much. But make no mistake, even if you arnt 100% happy with dynamic tone mapping results on your TV, this HDR still destroys SDR presentation. Lighting in SDR looks flat and dull.

Top Bottom