• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Special: Did The Last Of Us Part 1 Really Need A Remake?

Bullet Club

We've looked at how the Last of Us Part 1 compares with prior TLOU versions, we've detailed all of the various performance modes, what they do and how they work. Now, we get down to brass tacks. Is this a game that actually required a remake? Is it worth the money? John Linneman and Oliver Mackenzie share notes and come to the conclusion that yes, it is.

Stuart360

Whats with the constant talk over whether this remake is worth it?. I only played the PS3 version, in fact it was the last console game i ever played, so the PC version of this remake is worth it to me.
If you dont think its worth it, dont buy it.

Last edited:
If you played the Original PS3 game or the PS4 Remaster, I can absolutely say this purchase is completely unnecessary - especially at $70 and NO Factions.

This is perhaps one of my favorite franchises of all time (yes, I adore TLoU2 as well), and even I can see this was made to keep Naughty Dog employees busy and cash in on the soon-to-be-released HBO series.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Q9DLmHO.gif

radewagon

Very few games NEED a remake. A lot of them could use a remaster, but a game needs to be fundamentally held back by various elements to need a remake. Most games would be served well with just an uprez, touched up textures, and some quality of life improvements.

GymWolf

I think we all need to hear what the tech channel specialized in counting pixels has to say about this argument.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm convinced this is only a debate because of price point. If it was 40 dollars no one would even entertain the idea if it was worth it.
No the price just makes it worse.
Many people buy things they don't need for stupid prices and try and convince people they HAD to have it.

This Remake ( which I still think is just a proper Remaster ) is possible on PS4/PS4 Pro
Nothing about it is built from the ground up for PS5.
the game could have easily been released when TLOU2 came out on PS4 which would have made the original Remaster redundant if they did that, but making it exclusive to other Platform separates them needlessly.
No what I would have preferred was them to wait until they got their PS5 engine up and running and did TLOU3 and did both TLOU1 & 2 in the new engine.
Maybe for the 15th Anniversary?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The remake itself is not the issue, selling it at full (or higher than the originals) price with less content makes it a harder proposition.

Astral Dog

After all this "is it worthy" Jim learned an important lesson. Next time he will just order ND to pull a nintendo remaster and make you pay 80 dollars for it. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
you joke but Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3D were actually very decent (portable) remasters launched at $40, while Wind Waker and Twilight Princess included extras for $50 as i remember, TP came packed with an Amiibo.

Its just on the Switch Nintendo got greedy with remasters
ok now i want more Zelda remasters 🤤

Last edited:

GametimeUK

For me it's a worth it.
For somebody else it probably isn't.

I love digital foundry, but I don't think a breakdown analysing if a game is "worth it" is compelling assuming unless it's a review on its own merits as an actual game. I don't want to hear "well these trees have better Textures so it's worth the upgrade" etc.

EDMIX

yes, clearly PS3 is not PS5.

Anything from PS3 era is fair game for a remake now. Would be odd to say otherwise as lots of remakes came literally within 1 generation prior to be saying some stupid shit like several generations are now magically "too soon" lol

Resident Evil 1 to 2002 remake
MGS1 to Twin Snakes
Conker Bad's Fur day N64 to XB remake

It wasn't this several generation standard type bs that anyone is now suddenly trying to force as a norm. What are some of you going to do? Tell us that Red Dead Redemption 1's remake is too soon if its revealed for PS5? Killzone 2 remake?

So a decade in tech is not "too soon", that is a lot of time and a lot differences especially when you factor several generations removed.

So many of you can tell me how much more sense SoTC made or Yakuza 1 and 2 or even Ratchet, but thats more of a moot point then some of you realize.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you played the Original PS3 game or the PS4 Remaster, I can absolutely say this purchase is completely unnecessary - especially at $70 and NO Factions.

This is perhaps one of my favorite franchises of all time (yes, I adore TLoU2 as well), and even I can see this was made to keep Naughty Dog employees busy and cash in on the soon-to-be-released HBO series.
I like how everyone now sucks factions ass but almost nobody ever cared for it or played it.
Factions is not what was good about TLOU.
If this was really your fav franchise, you would get this amazing remake in an instant. You are a fake.

It was not made by ND. Mostly developed by visual arts

I really cant understant people who are complaining about the graphics, because the difference is just huge.

Clipboard02.jpg

I have played original game (PS4P version) just a few days ago, and no, it doesnt look good anymore by todays standards. Low poly models (details are usually painted on textures rather than made form polygons), flat lighting (with black crush), and fake shadows. Compared to that remake looks like a new game, and in HDR it's one of the best looking games currently.

Whats with the constant talk over whether this remake is worth it?. I only played the PS3 version, in fact it was the last console game i ever played, so the PC version of this remake is worth it to me.
If you dont think its worth it, dont buy it.
Its because "hardcore gamers" think everyone buys every game just like they do. The idea that someone never played The Last of us or the PS4 version doesn't make sense to them.

Last edited:
The difference between this game and the PS4 remaster is staggering. I can't stress it enough, holy shit. If you don't think it's worth it, cool. Who cares? Why are people whining so much about a game they're not gonna buy?

This game is worth exactly what people are willing to pay for it 🤷‍♂️

Moses85

I really cant understant people who are complaining about the graphics, because the difference is just huge.

Clipboard02.jpg

I have played original game (PS4P version) just a few days ago, and no, it doesnt look good anymore by todays standards. Low poly models (details are usually painted on textures rather than made form polygons), flat lighting (with black crush), and fake shadows. Compared to that remake looks like a new game, and in HDR it's one of the best looking games currently.
These people think they have a realationship with Rihanna or Selena Gomez but actually dating nobody

Moses85

This thread confirms for me that no matter how shit a game is, or how much a dev/publisher milk it’s users that there will always be a mass of imbeciles ready to throw cash at them.

And people wonder why gaming is in the state it’s in.
Wish you fun, playing the next lazy Nintendo Port of a last, last Gen Game my friend...

The thing is, a couple years from now no one will really care that the remake cost 70 dollars it will only be remembered as the definitive version of the game, which is now modernized for current gen.

I hope they remake more of my favorite ps3 era games, especially MGS4

Last edited:
This thread confirms for me that no matter how shit a game is, or how much a dev/publisher milk it’s users that there will always be a mass of imbeciles ready to throw cash at them.

And people wonder why gaming is in the state it’s in.

This post confirms to me that no matter how people choose to spend their money, there will always be someone pissed enough about it to childishly name call and treat them like they have a half brain.............simply because you bought something they feel like you should not have bought.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If that's how Sony wants to spend their time I guess it's ok. Nobody wanted a new game anyway.

Top Bottom