• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: PlayStation 5 / Unreal Engine 5 Reaction - Now This Is Next-Gen!

FireFly

I know there is science behind it but I sure don't agree with that graph that was linked.
I was annoyed because I had to play Borderlands 2 in 1440p because the frame rate wasn't very good at 4K in certain areas. I was annoyed because Borderkands looked far better in 4K on my 55 inch 4K TV and 10 feet away. It looked like there was a layer of vaseline smeared on my screen at 1040p.
But presumably some of that comes from the scaling method introducing additional softness.

Let’s be honest, most games aren’t even going to get near this level of fidelity and production.
Most games don't have a very big budget, so they end up looking like this (I don't know the game, I just wanted an indie place holder):
become-worlds-best-chef-0d0e7.png

But a lot of AAA games are very polished.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Is Unreal 5 compatible with Unreal 4? In other words, could a dev simply move their Unreal 4 code over to Unreal 5 and ten continue improving textures, lighting and performance? The reason I ask is because Days Gone was made with Unreal 4 (as far as I know) and it's likely Days Gone 2 is also being made with Unreal 4.

Is Unreal 5 compatible with Unreal 4? In other words, could a dev simply move their Unreal 4 code over to Unreal 5 and ten continue improving textures, lighting and performance? The reason I ask is because Days Gone was made with Unreal 4 (as far as I know) and it's likely Days Gone 2 is also being made with Unreal 4.

I assume so, as this is how I envisioned it working for Fortnite when it migrates to UE5 in 2021

Fake

Depends. Version between numbers are not so agressive (1.0 for 1.1 or 1.0 for 1.5), but will be a decent jump between 4.0 for 5.0, so we can get boost or not because PS4 and Xbox One don't have a good reputation of running Unreal Engine games.

And we can't assume Days Gone 2 will use Unreal Engine. If Sony saw potential for Bend Studius, they can give them resources for the company create his own build-in engine just like every first Sony party. Not saying I don't like Days Gone 2 using Unreal Engine 5, but the first Days Gone runs really mix bag on both base PS4 and PRO. I really wish Bend Studius give birth to a hole entire new engine, I mean, look at God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn... they're unlike any game because their engine are uniques.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Depends. Version between numbers are not so agressive (1.0 for 1.1 or 1.0 for 1.5), but will be a decent jump between 4.0 for 5.0, so we can get boost or not because PS4 and Xbox One don't have a good reputation of running Unreal Engine games.

And we can't assume Days Gone 2 will use Unreal Engine. If Sony saw potential for Bend Studius, they can give them resources for the company create his own build-in engine just like every first Sony party. Not saying I don't like Days Gone 2 using Unreal Engine 5, but the first Days Gone runs really mix bag on both base PS4 and PRO. I really wish Bend Studius give birth to a hole entire new engine, I mean, look at God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn... they're unlike any game because their engine are uniques.

Surely it's a lot of work to build your own engine though. I can imagine them doing it over time but to build an engine, AND build a game at the same time, would push the release date out by a couple of years. I had originally thought Bend would perhaps use the Decima engine for their follow up but with Unreal 5 it seems more possible they'd use that. I don't know. I'm not at all technically minded.

mitchman

Gold Member
You underestimate how much time it takes to create a new engine that can compete with the likes of the engines from the companies you mentioned. Think years, several years. An engine is typically 5-10 years development as you also need good tools, which is also years of work.

Fake

You underestimate how much time it takes to create a new engine that can compete with the likes of the engines from the companies you mentioned. Think years, several years. An engine is typically 5-10 years development as you also need good tools, which is also years of work.

Its not easy, but is worthy. Again, is up to Sony help them.

VGEsoterica

I just want Sony to show games. I love good graphics as much as the next of them but I’m not going to be PLAYING tech demos, I’m playing games. Show us what’s coming Sony

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Most Sony first party engines are created by the ICE Team. The studios tune it to their needs. They dont create a new engine from scratch(except for Naughty Dog whose engineers form a part of the ICE Team). Bend probably wants to use Unreal Engine.

Top Bottom