• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF- Devil May Cry 5 SE: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - The First Next-Gen Performance Face-Off

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'd be careful with the faux "insider" inferences around these parts, friend.
Seems to be fine as long as your fake insider references lean one way. We've got so many new mistermediax's on this forum over the last few weeks lol. So much secret sauce surprises hidden everywhere in the PS5! First there was the magic SSD, then there was Tempest as a second GPU, then there was BC....working....., then there was "cerny discovered all the bottlenecks and got rid of them!", then we were back to the magic SSD which will overcome 2TF less power and less RAM bandwidth, now we're literally just throwing out the word "SURPRISE!" and telling people to wait until tomorrow! wait until tomorrow! .......then nothing happens.

It's pathetic.

Last edited:

GHG

seriously, suggesting that the PS5 won’t always have the full 10TB is an instant ban but the constant BS “PS5 surprise” crap is fine. Ridiculous.

Considering the results so far do you really want to argue the PS5 doesn't always have the 10+ TF that the spec sheet suggests?

Stop embarrassing yourself for goodness sake. Did you not already receive your Series X?

Last edited:

scalman

And still ps5 is $100 cheaper then mighty xsx. Digital. So my laptop is digital too then as its doesnt have disc drive but never in its life i thought: man i wish i had that disc drive. Not even for win install

Last edited:

GHG

Seems to be fine as long as your fake insider references lean one way. We've got so many new mistermediax's on this forum over the last few weeks lol. So much secret sauce surprises hidden everywhere in the PS5! First there was the magic SSD, then there was Tempest as a second GPU, then there was BC....working....., then there was "cerny discovered all the bottlenecks and got rid of them!", then we were back to the magic SSD which will overcome 2TF less power and less RAM bandwidth, now we're literally just throwing out the word "SURPRISE!" and telling people to wait until tomorrow! wait until tomorrow! .......then nothing happens.

It's pathetic.

tenor.gif

The point being made is that the gap in performance wasn’t as big as some fanboys thought there would be. Yes XSX has an advantage in 3-4 modes but it’s a minimal advantage not a night and day difference Like some assumed there would.

I 100% guarantee this game is not an outlier. We will see many other examples where XSX marginally pulls ahead in FPS vs PS5. This fanboy dream that PS5’s variable frequency was going to hinder it in a meaningful way will soon die out.

Rea

Xbox gonna win last gen games or cross gen games with last gen game engines. As time goes by, the game engines will evolve and games that are using next gen game engines that's where we can know the real difference. For now, Xbox is taking "L" because it doesn't have a game that look like Spider-Man MM and Demon's Souls. When xbox has real game then talk. For now, Demon's souls is a graphical benchmark of all games, currently sitting on the throne waiting for an Xbox to beat it.

FrankWza

The point being made is that the gap in performance wasn’t as big as some fanboys thought there would be. Yes XSX has an advantage in 3-4 modes but it’s a minimal advantage not a night and day difference Like some assumed there would.

I 100% guarantee this game is not an outlier. We will see many other examples where XSX marginally pulls ahead in FPS vs PS5. This fanboy dream that PS5’s variable frequency was going to hinder it in a meaningful way will soon die out.

Easy for me to say, but I think we can wrap this one up with this quote here.

MrFunSocks

Banned

And the other fanboys were absolutely certain that the PS5s I/O and SSD would result in the PS5 performing better than the Series X, which has now been shot down in flames. Looking at the Normal 4K mode, that's a big difference. An average of 8% higher framerate means that there are going to be times when the difference is 20%+, as the DF video has already shown.

The fanboy dream that the PS5s SSD will make up for 20% less TF should soon die out too. Overnight we've gone from "The PS5 will run games better because of the SSD, just you wait!" to "LOOOOOOL the Xbox is only performing 10% better!". Surely you can see they hilarity and hypocrisy in that?

Codeblew

The results are interesting to say the least. Some poster's chickens have come home to roost. But I wonder how many people here are going to actually buy this game.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The results are interesting to say the least. Some poster's chickens have come home to roost. But I wonder how many people here are going to actually buy this game.
Couldn't pay me to play a game with that frame rate, even with a VRR tv. How that got released I'll never know.

HAL-01

And the other fanboys were absolutely certain that the PS5s I/O and SSD would result in the PS5 performing better than the Series X, which has now been shot down in flames.
How do you think this is what people meant when they said SSD would benefit performance? Its a port of a last gen game, aside from RT it doesn't benefit from ANY of the new GPU hardware features and customizations on RDNA 2 or PS5.

Even then, the I/O will only enter into the performance equation once games built in UE5 and similar next gen engines start to come out, only then.
Your anger stems from you misunderstanding what you've been told

MrFunSocks

Banned
How do you think this is what people meant when they said SSD would benefit performance? Its a port of a last gen game, aside from RT it doesn't benefit from ANY of the new GPU hardware features and customizations on RDNA 2 or PS5.

Even then, the I/O will only enter into the performance equation once games built in UE5 and similar next gen engines start to come out, only then.
Your anger stems from you misunderstanding what you've been told
haha anger? What is it with people trying to win arguments by painting the other person as upset or angry and the like? I'm not angry.

People flat out said games would perform better on the PS5 because of the SSD, along with the higher GPU clock speed, and that it would more than make up for the 2TF of power gap. Now those same people are claiming that the PS5 only losing by 10% on average is a win for the PS5 lol. There was no misunderstanding.

You know how you said that this port of a last gen game doesn't benefit from ANY of the new GPU hardware features and customisations on RDNA2 or PS5? Same for the Xbox version.

Last edited:

Stuart360

And still ps5 is $100 cheaper then mighty xsx. Digital. So my laptop is digital too then as its doesnt have disc drive but never in its life i thought: man i wish i had that disc drive. Not even for win install
This is the second time i have seen this said today. So is this the fall back plan?. I havent been in the 'Next Gen' thread today, but is this the fall back plan incase most multiplatofrm games are better on XSX?, the PS5 is $100 cheaper?.
No, the PS5 is $500, just like XSX.

Last edited:
So basically PS5 has less dips in a mode 1% or less of users will use. XBOX has the advantage in the normal modes. Both seem to perform great. Can't believe Capcom wants to charge for the upgrade though.

HAL-01

haha anger? What is it with people trying to win arguments by painting the other person as upset or angry and the like? I'm not angry.
Ah you misunderstand. I'm not arguing, im explaining what is it that has actually been said about ssd and performance that's accurate.

I don't care about the fanboys who've garbled the message along the way, and i don't see why you care about them so much either

MrFunSocks

Banned
Ah you misunderstand. I'm not arguing, im explaining what is it that has actually been said about ssd and performance that's accurate.

I don't care about the fanboys who've garbled the message along the way, and i don't see why you care about them so much either
Said by who?

I don't care either, I enjoy arguing/debating haha

Some people have drawn some very bizarre opinions from that video.

Seem like Xbox Series X wins it, no? I say that as someone who has relentlessly trashed the platform. Just ask MrFunSocks MrFunSocks .
Yep, Series X wins, but the argument has now shifted to it not winning by enough as proof that the PS5 is better.........somehow lol. Apparently now Team Blue knew that the Xbox would run games better, but they were expecting it to run 20%+ better so anything less than that is a win. I dunno, fanboys gonna fanboy.

Last edited:
This is the second time i have seen this said today. So is this the fall back plan?. I havent been in the 'Next Gen' thread today, but is this the fall back plan incase most multiplatofrm games are better on XSX?, the PS5 is $100 cheaper?.
No, the PS5 is $500, just like XSX.
The PS5 digital edition is $100 cheaper so that sentence is true.

And the other fanboys were absolutely certain that the PS5s I/O and SSD would result in the PS5 performing better than the Series X, which has now been shot down in flames. Looking at the Normal 4K mode, that's a big difference. An average of 8% higher framerate means that there are going to be times when the difference is 20%+, as the DF video has already shown.

The fanboy dream that the PS5s SSD will make up for 20% less TF should soon die out too. Overnight we've gone from "The PS5 will run games better because of the SSD, just you wait!" to "LOOOOOOL the Xbox is only performing 10% better!". Surely you can see they hilarity and hypocrisy in that?

I agree, anyone who made that statement is just as delusional, but again at the end of the day the consoles are very close.

Shmunter

PS5 running notably better in performance mode would seem to indicate PS5 has sauce for resolution upsampling. XsX seemingly using resources where PS5 need not.

I believe performance mode is utilising upsampling based on prior DmC PS5 video. Happy to be corrected if I dreamt it.

So they say that on average the Xbox runs with an 8% better framerate, and runs better in 3 of the 4 modes, yet they're equal? Weird conclusion to come to.
You’re right. The exact wording used in the video is “they both are rather comparable”.

Also, the 8% advantage is in 1 mode only - the

The RTX performance mode they say that the Xbox advantage is even mess than the normal mode so less than 8% and their conclusion is “both systems are essentially like-for-like”.

In RTX quality mode, the PS5 matches the Xbox for “much of the duration” while in other scenes it’s just 2-3 fps behind.

So, yes, pretty much equal.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like the COD comparison will be much better. This just feels like such an unoptimized shitty rush job of a game update that doesn't conclusively tell us anything about the abilities or weaknesses of the consoles. It's just Capcom cashing in on a new generation launch with some underbaked project.

Stuart360

I feel like the COD comparison will be much better. This just feels like such an unoptimized shitty rush job of a game update that doesn't conclusively tell us anything about the abilities or weaknesses of the consoles. It's just Capcom cashing in on a new generation launch with some underbaked project.
I know its COD but i wouildnt count on launch window game giving a fantastic picture of either console really. These studios are having to make like 8 versions of the game, in a pandemic ravaged world.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So what about the screen tearing in some other Xbox Series X games if it's just this game?

XSX had to turn off V-Sync to free its computational budget and throw it on a minority of less than 1% VRR TV’s for console gamers that must deal with tearing as a result if they don't have a compatible screen.

Last edited:
You know what's funny some of the same people saying high frame mode in DMC is not that important and no one has 120hz hdmi 2.1 TV are the same ones in assaisn creed thread saying thank god xsx has vrr/hdmi 2.1 so those TV can get rid of screen tearing .

ldiKti8.jpg

😅

ZywyPL

Banned
Xbox gonna win last gen games or cross gen games with last gen game engines. As time goes by, the game engines will evolve and games that are using next gen game engines that's where we can know the real difference. For now, Xbox is taking "L" because it doesn't have a game that look like Spider-Man MM and Demon's Souls. When xbox has real game then talk. For now, Demon's souls is a graphical benchmark of all games, currently sitting on the throne waiting for an Xbox to beat it.

Yeah, when the "next-gen only" titles start showing up, RX 6700XT will become faster than RX 6900XT, and R5 5600XT will perform better than R9 5900XT... Sorry but that doesn't work like that, it's cool that random people on the internet can throw random claims like that, but it doesn't change anything, next time try at least make up some theory about what will differentiate the so-called "next-gen" titles, whatever that even means, from the current ones, what will change in the engines, what new features will they have, because as of now your post is just one big "you just wait!" threat with nothing to back it up.

And no, despite how damn good DS looks like, there's nothing in this game from a technical point of view that makes the game impossible to run on PS4, except at 1080p30.

Uh, you do know that Xbox Series consoles are the only consoles that support ALL RDNA 2.0 Features and PS5 does not, right? As you said, Engines evolve, new games will use new features, new games will use NEW RDNA 2.0 features that XBOX will support, but PS5 does not.
So going by your logic XBOX will actually perform even better with nextgen only games.

Md Ray

Considering the results so far do you really want to argue the PS5 doesn't always have the 10+ TF that the spec sheet suggests?

Stop embarrassing yourself for goodness sake. Did you not already receive your Series X?
He so wants to call it a 9 TF machine, but can't. "lollipop_disappointed: Let's give him a break.

Rea

Uh, you do know that Xbox Series consoles are the only consoles that support ALL RDNA 2.0 Features and PS5 does not, right? As you said, Engines evolve, new games will use new features, new games will use NEW RDNA 2.0 features that XBOX will support, but PS5 does not.
So going by your logic XBOX will actually perform even better with nextgen only games.
What features are you talking about? U meaning that RDNA2 cards support Microsoft DX12U API right? Of course it does, they are PC cards anyway. Ps5 has it's own API and Features which Microsoft doesn't support. By your logic, Ps5 has it's own unique features and API, so ps5 should perform better?

Rea

Yeah, when the "next-gen only" titles start showing up, RX 6700XT will become faster than RX 6900XT, and R5 5600XT will perform better than R9 5900XT... Sorry but that doesn't work like that, it's cool that random people on the internet can throw random claims like that, but it doesn't change anything, next time try at least make up some theory about what will differentiate the so-called "next-gen" titles, whatever that even means, from the current ones, what will change in the engines, what new features will they have, because as of now your post is just one big "you just wait!" threat with nothing to back it up.

And no, despite how damn good DS looks like, there's nothing in this game from a technical point of view that makes the game impossible to run on PS4, except at 1080p30.
If you're don't know what you're talking about plz shut up.

Last edited:

mrmeh

XSX had to turn off V-Sync to free its computational budget and throw it on a minority of less than 1% VRR TV’s for console gamers that must deal with tearing as a result.

How some people do not get warnings for consistent nonsense, FUD and trolling is bewildering..

YoodlePro

No we can't see any hilarity in that.

You know what I do find funny? The brigade coming in and thinking that the XSX was going to wipe the floor due to it's higher TF number. And it fell flat on its face.

mrmeh

XSX had to turn off V-Sync to free its computational budget and throw it on a minority of less than 1% VRR TV’s for console gamers that must deal with tearing as a result.

It's quite clear you pretty much never have any understanding of the things you write on here.

You say "XSX had to turn off V-Sync to free its computational budget" do you have a link to back this up?

Last edited:
Top Bottom