• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Destiny 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S - A True Next-Gen Advantage

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Cross posting from the next gen speculation thread.

once again, Tom and Alex are baffled by the performance drops in the XSX version. Alex literally says they dont know why Bungie would allow these drops. Like are you fucking kidding me? Bungie isnt allowing shit. The XSX simply isnt able to run the game at that framerate at all times. Imagine if Alex reviewed a GPU where the GPU isnt able to do locked native 4k 60 fps in a benchmark test and then blamed the benchmark instead of the GPU for the poor performance.

This is getting ridiculous tbh. This is like the 15th game they have reviewed which has performance problems on the xsx and while I am open to the tools conspiracy theory or excuse or whatever you want to call it, I think it's fair to say that at the moment the XSX isnt as capable as the PS5. There is no need to appear surprised or shocked or make excuses or blame developers. Very bizarre.

J_Gamer.exe

once again, Tom and Alex are baffled by the performance drops in the XSX version. Alex literally says they dont know why Bungie would allow these drops. Like are you fucking kidding me? Bungie isnt allowing shit. The XSX simply isnt able to run the game at that framerate at all times. Imagine if Alex reviewed a GPU where the GPU isnt able to do locked native 4k 60 fps in a benchmark test and then blamed the benchmark instead of the GPU for the poor performance.

This is getting ridiculous tbh. This is like the 15th game they have reviewed which has performance problems on the xsx and while I am open to the tools conspiracy theory or excuse or whatever you want to call it, I think it's fair to say that at the moment the XSX isnt as capable as the PS5. There is no need to appear surprised or shocked or make excuses or blame developers. Very bizarre.
Yeah its bizarre, its like 'why aren't we getting the performance and results we thought would happen'.

Ps5 is just more efficient, its better designed.

There's so much to performance so everyone who jumped on teraflops alone has been shown up and continues to be so in every comparison.

All the clever things Sony has done Some still unconfirmed are why its performing similar or better.

Cache scrubbers, everything running faster, etc.

I wonder if it was the other way round and ps5 was slightly less performing would they question why bungie would allow this or just say its the expected power gap (lol) showing.

Isn't it about time these tech sites actually properly investigated why ps5 is perforimgn better and trying to understand the results and the hardware in all its intricacies.

Last edited:

skit_data

I agree, there seem to be a disinterest in how PS5 can match the Series X. I would like to see more in depth interviews/articles from DF on the subject. It was Richard who made a video on how the ”overclocking” of the PS5 GPU pretty much wouldnt cut it, shouldnt he be very interested in how it matches and in some cases outperforms the Series X?

Maybe its just Sony/Cerny being tight lipped, but by now its becoming more and more obvious the elephant in the room is why there is parity. They constantly bring it up so why not make a serious investigation, or at least DF Analysis video? I mean Richard had no problem in speculating before the consoles released?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why XSS doesn't have a 120fps mode? I've thought that console is on par with PS5. I mean, IGN told me that with XSS you can get a faster CPU at half the price compared to PS5
If the big consoles are maxing out at 1440p and dropping below that towards 1080p in pixels.
The baby console would be doing 720p.

No one wants to game at 720p120 no matter what they tell you.
So makes sense to not include it.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
dj khaled GIF by Music Choice

/j

I don’t give a shit about destiny or console wars but still funny 😂

SlimySnake

Why XSS doesn't have a 120fps mode? I've thought that console is on par with PS5. I mean, IGN told me that with XSS you can get a faster CPU at half the price compared to PS5
Whats more bizarre is why the 60 fps mode is only 1080p? The x1s is 1080p at just 1.3 tflops. This thing has 4 rdna 2.0 tflops and an 8 core 3.4 ghz cpu. It should be able to run it at 1440p 60 fps easily. Surely there is a bottleneck somewhere in the system.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ve been playing it more on my ps5 then Xbox as of late but more becuase something about the hdr setting looks a bit nicer there. I dunno why I have both inputs set the same but man if the hdr setting in Destiny a pain in the ass to get to work right.

one thing that bugs me on the Ps5 when it switches to 120fps it will randomly bring up the configure your screen thing menu when I have set it a dozen times already.

J_Gamer.exe

I agree, there seem to be a disinterest in how PS5 can match the Series X. I would like to see more in depth interviews/articles from DF on the subject. It was Richard who made a video on how the ”overclocking” of the PS5 GPU pretty much wouldnt cut it, shouldnt he be very interested in how it matches and in some cases outperforms the Series X?

Maybe its just Sony/Cerny being tight lipped, but by now its becoming more and more obvious the elephant in the room is why there is parity. They constantly bring it up so why not make a serious investigation, or at least DF Analysis video? I mean Richard had no problem in speculating before the consoles released?
Its weird why they wouldn't analyse it after speculating on specs for years.

Unless it shows their prediction up?

Still though, if the ps5 was the worlds most powerful console, I mean technically it is, but I mean if it was thought to be from specs early on, then on release xbox matched it or mostly beat it, I'd expect to be finding out why and id expect a performance analysis site to be finding out why.

Its frustrating they keep being confused each video and I want them to be more open minded and find out why but I admit each time they are 'confused' it makes me laugh as the only way you'd be so confused is if you misjudged the situation. 😄

Banjo64

cumsessed
Whats more bizarre is why the 60 fps mode is only 1080p? The x1s is 1080p at just 1.3 tflops. This thing has 4 rdna 2.0 tflops and an 8 core 3.4 ghz cpu. It should be able to run it at 1440p 60 fps easily. Surely there is a bottleneck somewhere in the system.
I swear ever since Cerny’s deep dive usage of the word ‘bottleneck’ has increased 10,000% on NeoGAF. I can’t read it without assuming it’s a meme at this point.

Last edited:

In fact, they said that the SX version is running at a more static 4k than PS5 (6:48), possible that's the reason of these drops no?

Just saw this on Twitter:

So yeah....

Watch the video.

They say in the video SX basically runs One X version with higher resolution and frame-rate, no improvement in visuals over One X version. I doubt its using any RDNA 2 features as they are not even implemented on PC games yet. GDK doesnt mean that its using all latest RDNA 2 features. GDK is just a name for dev kits for Xbox one family of consoles afaik.

Last edited:
I'm completely surprised.
I've no idea what it could be.
I'm just appalled?
A bug?
Not optimized?
What could it possible be? Someone please tell me.

Some genuinely still doubting the damage control (outside the posing willfully "naive" who know very well what's going on). What do you need? A live, caught on video confession?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

In fact, they said that the SX version is running at a more static 4k than PS5 (6:48), possible that's the reason of these drops no?
they never said that it was running at a lower resolution in those scenarios on the PS5.

In the 120 fps mode, both consoles drop frames at the same minimum resolution and xbox drops frames more. Again, this is fairly consistent across both versions.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If I was more of a pvp guy Id go Xbox for the vrr support since there where most of the frames are dropping on both. Would be nice if they added ps5 controller support at some point as well.

Also game is free with game pass so if you aren’t a sucker like me (I own everything on ps5, Xbox and pc) can play it for nothing there.

Last edited:
If the big consoles are maxing out at 1440p and dropping below that towards 1080p in pixels.
The baby console would be doing 720p.

No one wants to game at 720p120 no matter what they tell you.
So makes sense to not include it.

You know that on XSS in Dirt 5 in 120fps mode resolution dips to 540p. Yes, people are asking for 540p in 120fps mode. Probably makes sense. :messenger_beaming:

Ma-Yuan

They have a bias it's obvious now... It's really weird the XSX can't run it at 60 constantly but it's really annoying all their excuses and VRR solves this excuse that's always used...

It's a subjective experience if you feel those drops from 120hz and if you have VRR you can perceive them 🤣🤣🤣🤣 imagine if it was the PS5 that was behind...

Last edited:
Its weird why they wouldn't analyse it after speculating on specs for years.

Unless it shows their prediction up?

Still though, if the ps5 was the worlds most powerful console, I mean technically it is, but I mean if it was thought to be from specs early on, then on release xbox matched it or mostly beat it, I'd expect to be finding out why and id expect a performance analysis site to be finding out why.

Its frustrating they keep being confused each video and I want them to be more open minded and find out why but I admit each time they are 'confused' it makes me laugh as the only way you'd be so confused is if you misjudged the situation. 😄

Honestly I would love it if Digital Foundry made a video summarizing the differences in multiplats and why it's happening. I'm getting tired of their caveman syndrome.

i don't know idk GIF

At least use your technical knowledge to guess at what's going on.

SlimySnake

Never said that, but I'm just saying that should be a possibility, DRS not working properly or not pushed enough on SX for example
yes, if thats the case then yes that makes sense. But like I said in my edit, the 120 fps on both consoles has the same minimum resolution of 1560*1440 and the xbox still drops more frames compared to the PS5 in that resolution.

Top Bottom