• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Cyberpunk 2077 PC: What Does Ray Tracing Deliver... And Is It Worth It?

regawdless

Banned
Lol what’s weird about not wanting to tank performance by 50-75% for a feature that typically adds subtle improvements?

I’ve noticed your position in this thread is unwavering. What exactly is hard to understand that some people dont think the massive performance impact is worth it?

Are you trolling me? Why are you removing the part of my post from your quote where I talk about that exact point?

It's anyone's choice if it's worth the fps hit, depending of the hardware at hand. That decision is subjective.

Regarding the other part of your post:
I have a hard time understanding how anyone who is even a bit enthusiastic about graphics tech could say that the whole RT package in Cyberpunk would qualify as "subtle changes".

Put every setting on max with RT turned off. Then toggle any visual setting in the menu one by one, including RT.

I would argue that it's one of the most impactful to the overall visuals.

Again, if it's worth it for you is an individual decision and yes, it is performance heavy. But the RT package in Cyberpunk is remarkable and I have a hard time agreeing with people being so negative about it. We should be glad that an open world game with this scale can provide such tech.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Which one has RTX ?
Screen by me:

0zn45P.png
0znpEm.png

Good luck
Essentially neither, RTX draw distance has a cut off so everything you're looking at in this is going to use the same rasterized rendering. The first one is the RTX shot because you can see the guy on the right's cell phone is emitting light where it isn't on the other, but there's very little in this scene that would be impacted.

I find RTX lighting and reflections make a pretty big difference in objects and charactrers feeling "settled" in their environment, and especially with the amount of reflective surfaces, with reflections feeling correct.

Reflections in particular are also MUCH more noticeable in motion, where screen space artifacts or static cube maps are way more likely to be apparent.

Shadows I don't think make a huge difference. Yes, they do have proper contact hardening and on fine details like grass feel better situated but the standard shadowing is pretty damn good and most of the time I don't think about it, so I keep that one off to save on performance.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I will see how ps5 version will handle those rt in proper next gen version next year.

i doubt its going to be anything major as to even g et a 2080 ti to get decent framerates with RT on you need DLSS in this game. I would like to be pleasently surprised though.

wzy

This video is absolutely stunning. Surely these guys can see that both options look like dogshit, right? He spends like five minutes talking about how the realistic shadows make the characters look present in the gameworld or whatever but they both just look super floaty and disjointed. Those bench rivets or whatever look completely detached.

I don't get what I'm supposed to be marveling at, here. The RE2 remake looks 1000x better than this.

regawdless

Banned
This video is absolutely stunning. Surely these guys can see that both options look like dogshit, right? He spends like five minutes talking about how the realistic shadows make the characters look present in the gameworld or whatever but they both just look super floaty and disjointed. Those bench rivets or whatever look completely detached.

I don't get what I'm supposed to be marveling at, here. The RE2 remake looks 1000x better than this.

33d.gif

Lethal01

Shadows I don't think make a huge difference. Yes, they do have proper contact hardening and on fine details like grass feel better situated but the standard shadowing is pretty damn good and most of the time I don't think about it, so I keep that one off to save on performance.

Disagreed, tons of big AAA games have scenes filled to the brim of object that totally lack shadows has been one of the most annoying things this entire generation and the quickest way to make things look totally unrealistic.

Is RE2 a huge open world game with totally dynamic time of day lighting?

Neo_game

What exactly is it with the beef of RTX some people have? It's clearly not a gimmick. It's clearly impressive when done right and is the future. It's just a case of whether you prefer better fps or not right now.

I assume there is some kind of agenda from people who can't afford RTX cards that can run cyber fine and have it on? If so - get saving and shut up.

It is ironic you say that. The game looks amazing without RT lighting already. I think it is other way round. They are trying to make the case for the RT but apart from reflection which is by far the biggest factor there is really not much in it. Even reshade mods in some games and other using simple mods actually make a bigger impact IMO

Lethal01

And that's why you see that game companies are not focusing on RT at all but instead are seeking the optimised rasterised versions (eg Unreal with Lumen).

Unreal was literally one of the first to put Major support into raytracing, Their engine now totally support it and they are constantly updating it, we see more resouces being put into RT than Lumen. Lumen is designed to work with Hardware accelerated raytracing, It is literally using a cut down form of RT.

SSR works fantastic in 90% of gameplay scenarios, which is why it's used, same as for every other effect.

You got it backwards, 90% of the time there are clear flaws on the screen that would be fixed by Raytracing. It's fine if you have very low standards and just want something that kind of evoke the concept of a reflection. At it's max setting it still looks far worse than RT while cost almost as much.

there's always something you can better use that extra time on rather than pay 3-4x the cost for the accurate RT version instead.

Not at all really, SSR being a great example. No matter how much you throw at it it still ends up being a mess.

Last edited:
It is ironic you say that. The game looks amazing without RT lighting already. I think it is other way round. They are trying to make the case for the RT but apart from reflection which is by far the biggest factor there is really not much in it. Even reshade mods in some games and other using simple mods actually make a bigger impact IMO

Have you played the game with RT on and off yourself? I don't get it. It's not a con. If you want to run the game as best as possible even without RT you'd have a card capable of it by now - so I really don't understand why you think this is a big ploy. It's not like people are being tricked into gettign these cards because we buy into RTX as the must buy feature.

This is the first game I've found the FPS hit worth it to have RTX on. This isn't a cult.

Lethal01

the developer chose to use good design instead of bad design when making it.

If only the same could be said about you.

Whether you like open world games isn't the issue, Saying RE2 looks better is missing the point since you are comparing needing to light a single room vs needing to light a wide open city.

wzy

I'm comparing something that looks good to something that looks like shit why would the end user care about the underlying process?

regawdless

Banned
No it's not because the developer chose to use good design instead of bad design when making it.

I absolutely love RE2. It was my GotY.

The comparison still sucks. Cyberpunk looks amazing and on a way bigger scale. RE looks great, but it's very limited in what it does.

Last edited:

wzy

I absolutely love RE2. It was my GotY.

The comparison still sucks. Cyberpunk looks amazing and on a way bigger scale. RE looks great, but it's very limited in what it does.

The limitation on what can be done well are real, hard, and in no way bypassed by this overhyped technology that virtually guarantees an entire generation of hardware will be running sub-30 again. Raytracing, just like motion blur, chromatic aberration, DoF, etc. is just another post-processing curse that will ruin half the games it touches.

You have to design for good visuals. Fortunately for all of us the principles of good visual design are more or less completely congruent with the ones that apply to good game design. Cyberpunk features neither its just the same sloppy shit Bethesda would be shoveling right now if they hadn't destroyed the brand by... uh... shipping a buggy trainwreck that half the audience refunded lol

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Disagreed, tons of big AAA games have scenes filled to the brim of object that totally lack shadows has been one of the most annoying things this entire generation and the quickest way to make things look totally unrealistic.
I'm talking about in Cyberpunk in particular where the rasterized shadow solution is very robust.

thuGG_pl

The limitation on what can be done well are real, hard, and in no way bypassed by this overhyped technology that virtually guarantees an entire generation of hardware will be running sub-30 again. Raytracing, just like motion blur, chromatic aberration, DoF, etc. is just another post-processing curse that will ruin half the games it touches.

Learn about RT first before writing this bullshit. It's like saying polygons are post processing effect.

Neo_game

Have you played the game with RT on and off yourself? I don't get it. It's not a con. If you want to run the game as best as possible even without RT you'd have a card capable of it by now - so I really don't understand why you think this is a big ploy. It's not like people are being tricked into gettign these cards because we buy into RTX as the must buy feature.

This is the first game I've found the FPS hit worth it to have RTX on. This isn't a cult.

I am not against it. I do not think anyone is. Reflection makes it worth it IMO but the rest is not. Something like this is impressive and has a big impact:

scalman

i doubt its going to be anything major as to even g et a 2080 ti to get decent framerates with RT on you need DLSS in this game. I would like to be pleasently surprised though.
As on all console versions it will be optimized to run as it can. It did fine with Legion RT version.

regawdless

Banned
As on all console versions it will be optimized to run as it can. It did fine with Legion RT version.

I'm very curious how they'll implement RT on the consoles here. Reflections will be there for sure. They can downscale the reflection quality significantly and still achieve great results.
The real question is if they'll implement the RT lighting. It's pretty expensive but adds a lot to the visuals. Medium would be a good way to go, but we haven't seen the console handling RT lighting yet, let alone RT reflections and lighting in a huge open world game.

I hope they find a good compromise for next gen consoles.

Dampf

Well according to the ConsoleEarlyNextGenQuality preset, consoles won't have any RT.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Well according to the ConsoleEarlyNextGenQuality preset, consoles won't have any RT.

Is that in the PC game files or where does it come from?

Would be a real shame. At the very least it should have RT reflections. Otherwise not a good sign for the capabilities of next gen.

On the other hand, it's not like Cyberpunk is the best optimized game out there lol.

sinnergy

My guess there will be raytracing but at 720p checkerboard or maybe 900p - 1080p for the RT stuff. And a checkerboard image reconstruction to 1440p.

Dampf

Is that in the PC game files or where does it come from?

Would be a real shame. At the very least it should have RT reflections. Otherwise not a good sign for the capabilities of next gen.

On the other hand, it's not like Cyberpunk is the best optimized game out there lol.
It is a start parameter and I can confirm it is working properly. NextGen is in the 60 FPS target I would expect the console to be. Next Gen Quality improves quality of SSR, post processing, LOD etc and is in line with a 30 FPS target. Sadly, RT of any kind is not one the of them.

It was obvious, even without RT Cyberpunk is very demanding so any RT effect would be over budget. Still, it is called "Early" so we should wait and see. Consider this, without DLSS a 2080 Super gets around 20 FPS with RT Ultra at 1440p. If you would just run one effect, like reflections and adjust volumetric effect quality, you should get a pretty stable 30 FPS. But we already know the 2080 Super has a lot more juice than the Series X in Raytracing because Turing accelerates BVH traversal while on RDNA2 it is done in software.

Last edited:
No it's not because the developer chose to use good design instead of bad design when making it.

I'm comparing something that looks good to something that looks like shit why would the end user care about the underlying process?
And anyway, any screenshot that doesn't show the games atrocious HUD is more dishonest than any comparison one could make to other games. To those who don't have it, this is what Cyberpunk actually looks like on normal hardware:

0uEU5gD.png

You have to design for good visuals. Fortunately for all of us the principles of good visual design are more or less completely congruent with the ones that apply to good game design. Cyberpunk features neither its just the same sloppy shit Bethesda would be shoveling right now if they hadn't destroyed the brand by... uh... shipping a buggy trainwreck that half the audience refunded lol

Confused The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air GIF

You obviously don't own the game, nor a high spec gaming PC, nor have a grasp of gaming development techniques.

But it's fine, we'll welcome your opinion and allow you to join the discourse.

That's a nice opinion you have, and thank you for sharing it.

Dampf

It will be interesting to see how the 6800XT will handle Cyberpunk with Raytracing. My guess is around 50 FPS at Ultra and RT on medium (so without reflections but with the nice lighting and shadows) at 1080p.

Should be able to achieve 60 FPS by turning volumetric effects and SSR down a notch.

And anyway, any screenshot that doesn't show the games atrocious HUD is more dishonest than any comparison one could make to other games. To those who don't have it, this is what Cyberpunk actually looks like on normal hardware:

0uEU5gD.png
Settings > Interface

You're welcome.

Lister

Banned
I will see how ps5 version will handle those rt in proper next gen version next year.

Poorly? The new console's Ray Tracing performance is below an RTX 2060's.

Expect only one or two of the RT features turned on, and expect them to be the equivalent of low on PC (or lower), AND expect them to force you to 30 FPS.

This generation like every other generation PC will continue to outperform consoles... but when it comes to ray tracing PC is already way ahead and by mid gen it will be on an other level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom