• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.23 PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Updated! How Does Next-Gen Stack Up Right Now?

Kenpachii

Yeah that vid is old news. You can totally cap to 60 in that place. Crowd density got almost no impact - maybe few fps. What is problematic it's RT ultra (every RT option selected) is extremely taxing on CPU.

That's kinda interesting u say that, because i was just watching DF video about metro exodus enhanced edition and also in that game cpu got a 17% hit on performance with RT on.

Wonder why that is.

Flabagast

Didn't DF just do a Cyberpunk video a little while ago? they are hurting for content aren't they? What's the point of continuing to do these videos until proper PS5/XSX versions are released? it just fuels console wars, which of course is what keeps DF in business no matter how much they deny it.
Their cyberpunk vids in average get significant more views than their other content. As the summer is very slow in terms of news, they are sure to have some easy views with CP.

That's kinda interesting u say that, because i was just watching DF video about metro exodus enhanced edition and also in that game cpu got a 17% hit on performance with RT on.

Wonder why that is.
I'm not the guy to answer such technical question, but all I see from a few games is that even at low resolution [at higher res the gap is even worse!] you would need ~40% faster CPU to match performance when RT is enabled.

Here I deliberately used very low dlss setting [super low internal res] to not max GPU usage:

Cyberpunk2077-2021-08-07-21-22-26-417-1.png
Cyberpunk2077-2021-08-07-21-22-46-502-2.png

Armorian

Banned

Wonder why that is.

Every game with RT tax CPU way more with it enabled, more draw calls or something. That's why before buying 3070 I changed my 3600 to 5600X. CPU bottleneck is the real deal in RT games, same with WDL.

I'm more interested getting the next gen/enhanced GTA V than the next gen CP2077. The still haven't fixed the main gameplay issues, ike stupid AI

GTA5 still has the same (~okay) campaign from 2012 and shit controls. Remake won't fix that.

No new single player content, there is nothing to do in this game once missions are done.

Traffic and pedestrian Ai is stupid in CP that's for sure but this pretty much has no impact on the core gameplay that is usually set in its own locations (and it's like Deus Ex for the most part). Same with the police, you can play entire game and not trigger them once.

Armorian

Banned
Where's all the NPCs on ps5? Did Ellie kill them all?

It's optimization for PS4, they needed to stabilize CPU utilization to fix framerate on this platform and cut in crowd density is one of the fastest and most impactful ways to do it. Too bad same changes affect BC PS5 version.

Md Ray

Wonder why that is.
A 24% hit to CPU perf in CP2077 according to DF. Heck, I noticed even DOOM Eternal's RT impacted CPU perf on my 3700X. CPU does a lot of heavy lifting too alongside GPU when doing ray tracing. Metro Exodus apparently includes emissive surfaces and light lists so the CPU has more things to keep track of in a scene, as well as the world space grid of probes for 2nd bounce and check = increased CPU load.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I'm not the guy to answer such technical question, but all I see from a few games is that even at low resolution [at higher res the gap is even worse!] you would need ~40% faster CPU to match performance when RT is enabled.

Here I deliberately used very low dlss setting [super low internal res] to not max GPU usage:

Cyberpunk2077-2021-08-07-21-22-26-417-1.png
Cyberpunk2077-2021-08-07-21-22-46-502-2.png

Jesus christ that's insane. Thanks for the screenshot.

Every game with RT tax CPU way more with it enabled, more draw calls or something. That's why before buying 3070 I changed my 3600 to 5600X. CPU bottleneck is the real deal in RT games, same with WDL.

GTA5 still has the same (~okay) campaign from 2012 and shit controls. Remake won't fix that.

No new single player content, there is nothing to do in this game once missions are done.

Traffic and pedestrian Ai is stupid in CP that's for sure but this pretty much has no impact on the core gameplay that is usually set in its own locations (and it's like Deus Ex for the most part). Same with the police, you can play entire game and not trigger them once.

A 24% hit to CPU perf in CP2077 according to DF. Heck, I noticed even DOOM Eternal's RT impacted CPU perf on my 3700X. CPU does a lot of heavy lifting too alongside GPU when doing ray tracing. Metro Exodus apparently includes NG in emissive surfaces and light lists so the CPU has more things to keep track of in a scene, as well as the world space grid of probes for 2nd bounce and check = increased CPU load.

Never knew about this, thanks for the additional information. That's a bummer then i am big on CPU performance in games because its the main enemy i fight when it comes to games ( play cpu heavy games like rts a lot ). Also a reason i dipped into a 9900k. As i got a 3080 probably next week i wanted to do some heavy lifting at 1080p with rt on and play through some games at as high as possible fps, but if the minimums will be hit hard on the CPU front i am not sure if i could give a shit about it then.

JackMcGunns

How does that make sense when the PS4 and XB1 both have 8-core CPUs (albeit with only 6 of them available to games I believe)? Console games haven't been single threaded in a long time.

I should be more specific, PS4 games and Xbox One games are optimized for 8 threads. Series X|S and PS5 can run up to 16 threads with SMT on.

SMT = Simultaneous Multi-Threading. The CPU can split each of its physical cores into virtual cores (threads) each core can run two instruction streams at once. The OS will see it as 16 physical cores.

Make sense now? if a PS4/XB1 game was programmed for 8 threads, it will take reprogramming to take advantage of the 16 thread capable CPU in PS5/XSX.

Turning SMT off makes sense, Series X can go up to 3.8Ghz and still cover the 8 threads needed for BC, whereas PS5 is stuck at 3.5Ghz since it could only operate with SMT which provides no benefit when running in BC mode.

Top Bottom