• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Crysis Remastered: Console Ray Tracing Analysed on Xbox One X!

Fake

As part of our continuing coverage in the run-up to the launch of Crysis Remastered, Alex Battaglia and John Linneman check out the game running on Xbox One X with ray tracing mode enabled! How does it look, how well does it run and just how has Crytek managed to get real-time RT reflections working on a current-gen console? Find out here!

Summary
- Still a WIP (Work in progress) build
- Software RT on both PRO and X
- Configuration:
--Perfomance mode: 1080p/unlocked on base PS4, Xbox One, PRO and X
--Visual/Resolution mode: 4k dynamic resolution on X, 1800p dynamic resolution on PRO
--Ray Tracing mode: 1080p dynamic resolution/ locked 30 on both PRO and X

Last edited:

pyrocro

Digital Foundry had a look at a pre-released version of Crysis remake with RAYTRACING running on current-gen pro version console hardware.
Very Impressive feat of software engineering.

TLDR
The raytraced reflections implementation is done via compute shaders(software) and localized to a limited area around the player and supported by other traditional methods of doing reflections such as planar and screen-space reflections. The PC version will support hardware raytracing.

Hopefully the PC version will let you use the software implementation with none-RTX/Big Navi cards with adjustable settings. :)

Last edited:
Alright naysayers, let's hear your excuses as to how this doesn't look better than the original.

I love how the haters of this remaster were judging this by the Switch port.

pyrocro

Alright naysayers, let's hear your excuses as to how this doesn't look better than the original.

I honestly see a lot of differences In how things look, but if things Look a bit Flat in some areas due to the changing of the lighting model its understandable,
we can't have lighting models A, B, C, and D running at the same time.
Hopefully, on the PC we will get more rays interacting with materials perceived to be flat in which case the details will be visible then.

Shmunter

it was the trailer that people were laughing at. Yet to watch this vid, hope its taken a sizeable leap from there.

sobaka770

Banned
I read it as Series X preview now that would be ace. Good looking game, but honestly it's all it is. Gameplay was meh at best, the universe was pretty generic and I don't see the need to remaster this.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

One can only judge it off the info at hand and what they showed in preview and the Switch's release weren't exactly great looking. They were bad enough that Crytek pushed back their console releases by quite a bit. So maybe jump down a peg off your soapbox bud.

I am impressed. It looks better than they've shown in the past. Disappointed in the 30 fps cap for consoles but I'll be playing on PC so that's not much of a bother. Will be very interested how it actually leverages hardware for it's ray tracing.

If some of you have never played Crysis you should. People think it's because of it's graphics that it was the ONLY point of discussion with the game which is simply not true. There's a lot of subtlety with how you manage the Nanosuit and what you can do. Enemy A.I. is excellent and challenging(play on Hard and they don't even speak English, only Korean), level design is gorgeous and varied, soundtrack is fantastic. It's one of the best FPS of all time. There's never been a better time to play it.

I just wish the original MP was still around. When you have like 40 people in Nanosuits playing an objective it can be so bad ass. Damn you GameSpy servers!!!?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Water looks like shit compared to original game.

DesktopScreenshot202.png

Last edited:

Thief1987

It has so many limitations that i don't even see a point in using RT in this state, if only just like proof of work.

INC

30fps........nah I'm good thanks

Still looks like shit on console

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Like I said before 2007 Crysis still looks better on PC.
Expected due the lower hardware of the console but even so it is disappointing.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Still looks shit (imho). The cutscene inside the airplane looked better on PC (original). The nanosuit kinda lacks polygons and the RT effects are a weak (only on wet surfaces noticable .. Battlefield 5 all over again with dem puddles!), then again the video of DF was recorded underground without any light source.

The water looks worse. A floaty texture, no effect underwater ... ; The Tomorrow Children on PS4 2016 had (sort of) raytracing. Crysis 1 OG without RT maxed out looks better than this, this was perhaps the worst DF upload in history.

A 1080p upload that looked at times like a 480p upscale.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wonder rif thats a similar technique to how avengers is doing reflections on PC seems like it.

GymWolf

It has so many limitations that i don't even see a point in using RT in this state, if only just like proof of work.
Yeah, i'm gonna love all these games with ultra limited rtx effects that you barely notice at the cost of shitty performances...

rsouzadk

Summary
- Still a WIP (Work in progress) build
- Software RT on both PRO and X
- Configuration:
--Perfomance mode: 1080p/unlocked on base PS4, Xbox One, PRO and X
--Visual/Resolution mode: 4k dynamic resolution on X, 1800p dynamic resolution on PRO
--Ray Tracing mode: 1080p/ locked 30 on both PRO and X

Ray Tracing mode is below 1080p on ps4 pro.

One can only judge it off the info at hand and what they showed in preview and the Switch's release weren't exactly great looking. They were bad enough that Crytek pushed back their console releases by quite a bit. So maybe jump down a peg off your soapbox bud.

I am impressed. It looks better than they've shown in the past. Disappointed in the 30 fps cap for consoles but I'll be playing on PC so that's not much of a bother. Will be very interested how it actually leverages hardware for it's ray tracing.

If some of you have never played Crysis you should. People think it's because of it's graphics that it was the ONLY point of discussion with the game which is simply not true. There's a lot of subtlety with how you manage the Nanosuit and what you can do. Enemy A.I. is excellent and challenging(play on Hard and they don't even speak English, only Korean), level design is gorgeous and varied, soundtrack is fantastic. It's one of the best FPS of all time. There's never been a better time to play it.

I just wish the original MP was still around. When you have like 40 people in Nanosuits playing an objective it can be so bad ass. Damn you GameSpy servers!!!?
Not sure how agreeing with me means for me to "hop off my soapbox", whatever that means, as if I was speaking to someone specifically, some people on here were crying but it's mainly the naysaying trolls on YouTube or just in general.

I figured they'd turn out good, people just don't have much faith anymore, these consoles could run the base game easily and with some nice texture improvements and other things on top of that.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Crysis is an amazing game don't get the negativity about it, the gameplay is fantastic, I bet most of the posts criticizing it are from people that has barely played it.

Whats the deal with this game? Everyone seems to rave about it, I personally thought it was shit.
I tried playing it a few years ago on PC and did not like it at all. It’s probably one of those “at the time” things. Back when it came out it was this ridiculously hardware intensive open shooter that gained notoriety by being hard to run and the gameplay was more in line with how shooters of that time felt.

Digital Foundry’s obsession with it confuses me to no end.

GlockSaint

That was the appeal of crysis, it didn't matter if the game sucked monkey balls and boring as shit. It's the challenge of getting it to run, i remember all there marketing campaigns for gaming computers "crysis ready" "can it run crysis? Yes it can!" Ah fun times

pawel86ck

Banned
Whats the deal with this game? Everyone seems to rave about it, I personally thought it was shit.
Reviewers and many gamers loved it (just look at metacritics, many 10/10). After playing crysis on my 8800Ultra all PS3 games including Uncharted trilogy looked dated to me, it was pretty much PS4 graphics quality in 2007.

This article explains why crysis 1 gameplay was so special. On delta difficulty crysis 1 is still one of my favorite fps games.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Reviewers and many gamers loved it (just look at metacritics, many 10/10). After playing crysis on my 8800Ultra all PS3 games including Uncharted trilogy looked dated to me, it was pretty much PS4 graphics quality in 2007.

This article explains why crysis 1 gameplay was so special. On delta difficulty crysis 1 is still one of my favorite fps games.
Eeehh, I guess. It never had the 'sandbox' effect I associate with that term though. Stalker did, Hidden and Dangerous 2 did. Crysis? You just shoot people and it looks pretty, sure you can shoot them in a different order, and it looks nice but there is not much more to it..

When you actually take a step back and look at the term 'sandbox' it is actually quite dumbed down in Crysis.

Maybe I'm wrong, it has been a few years since it came out but I remember completing it back then and just moved on. It didnt shift the earth in regards to something earth shattering for the PC.

Top Bottom