• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Crysis 2 Remastered PS5/Xbox Series S/X + ALL Last-Gen Versions Tested!

Fake

Understood, but is that what’s happening on the PS5 avengers and it’s soft image? Should not have to engage drs that much with cb already.

Can't say for sure, but is quite possible if they want max perfomance. IMO this is worst than just agressive DRS because at least DRS normally use native resolutions, unless custom resolution (some DRS first reduces horizontal ratio to maintain 60 fps, until reduce both horizontal and vertical). Will be never the case if they're using CB to reach 4K.

darrylgorn

"...which is why I brought Alex Battaglia here with me to talk about...."

Turned it off.

No thanks.

b9326939-7510-4738-98oakl3.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox, but only slightly. It also doesn't count as it is not a native version on either console.

No, it still counts but as another win for Xbox in simply having the better BC implementation. In that race, I don't think they have lost one yet.

RafterXL

Have you guys been living under rocks? Gen9aware has been around since the Series X launched. All it means is that it's enhanced for Series console but can be run from an external drive, unlike regular X enhanced games, which require the internal or expansion drive.
its a stupid new buzz word "gen 9 aware" , like some advanced AI or some shit
It's not new, and it's certainly not a "buzzword", it's hidden in the file info for fucks sake.

Topher

Gold Member
Have you guys been living under rocks? Gen9aware has been around since the Series X launched. All it means is that it's enhanced for Series console but can be run from an external drive, unlike regular X enhanced games, which require the internal or expansion drive.

It's not new, and it's certainly not a "buzzword", it's hidden in the file info for fucks sake.

Chill Leopard GIF

mansoor1980

29XYmgE.gif

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
No, it still counts but as another win for Xbox in simply having the better BC implementation. In that race, I don't think they have lost one yet.
There has been the odd few for PS5. Of the top of my head Sekiro has a better framerate as SX is 4k native and PS5 is 1800p cb (i think) as those resolutions are set by XB1x and PS4 Pro.

Cattlyst

It's always weird seeing footage of games you remember as running perfectly. I played Crysis 2 on the 360 back in the day and I don't remember it running so poorly, like 20 fps. I don't even remember caring about frame rate back then. Weird. The most memorable thing about Crysis 2 for me was the almost hub style running battles where the next bit of the level didn't open up until you killed all the enemies. It was a bit like doom 2016 in that way.

It's always weird seeing footage of games you remember as running perfectly. I played Crysis 2 on the 360 back in the day and I don't remember it running so poorly, like 20 fps. I don't even remember caring about frame rate back then. Weird. The most memorable thing about Crysis 2 for me was the almost hub style running battles where the next bit of the level didn't open up until you killed all the enemies. It was a bit like doom 2016 in that way.
You played a first person shooter at sub 20 fps and didn't notice? Oof.

ZywyPL

Banned

Never mind the framerate, but that atrocious depth of field, my lord, it's all over the place, permanent basically, I certainly didn't remember that.

Yeah, Its amazing how many people didn't really care about frame rates back then. Just so happy we know have a really good remaster to a great game

Cattlyst

Yeah, Its amazing how many people didn't really care about frame rates back then. Just so happy we know have a really good remaster to a great game
I think the first and only time (before it was really common practice to be a frame rate expert) that I knew something was wrong with a game was playing doom on the saturn. I just remember playing it and thinking 'it wasn't like this on the Jaguar' 🤣

I think the first and only time (before it was really common practice to be a frame rate expert) that I knew something was wrong with a game was playing doom on the saturn. I just remember playing it and thinking 'it wasn't like this on the Jaguar' 🤣
Yeah that was dire along with the frame rates Perfect Dark 64 or Shadow of the Colossus. Stunt Racer FX on the Snes opened my eyes how a poor frame rate can kill a game

Rikkori

Damn, performance seems kinda trash tbh. Watching videos on Cycu1's channel, even a 3080 with DLSS in performance mode can barely keep near 60 fps. For Crysis 3 in particular besides RT there seems to be hardly a change, so it's all the more unforgivable. These are pretty trash remasters all in all, sadly. Good for console players, yes, but worthless on the PC.

Topher

Gold Member
And... Does that win and all the others make you feel like a better man now?

manly GIF

Seriously though.....what are you asking me? I made a general comment in the subject of "video games". Not sure how anyone translates that to manliness, but you do you.

Last edited:

MikeM

Me. I remember playing games on PS3 and 360 and thinking "yeah this is awesome!" Fast forward to today, and I recently fired up my PS3 with those games... didn't last more than 15 mins. Packed up the PS3 and back into the closet as a museum piece.

I also want to put out there that Xbox Store and PS Store has Crysis 2 and 3 of this remaster on sale at a 30% discount already.

Shmunter

Damn, performance seems kinda trash tbh. Watching videos on Cycu1's channel, even a 3080 with DLSS in performance mode can barely keep near 60 fps. For Crysis 3 in particular besides RT there seems to be hardly a change, so it's all the more unforgivable. These are pretty trash remasters all in all, sadly. Good for console players, yes, but worthless on the PC.

Wow, that’s insane. Who optimised this for pc!? 1200 Monkeys at 12000 typewriter?!?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I played Crysis 2 back in the day and raved about the enemy a.i. being fun to fight. Supposedly I didn't know shit, because a.i. seems to be one of the big complaints about this game.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So I bought Crysus 2 on ps5 and didn't even get to the first encounter outside before my game hard crashed. Lol. True story. The visuals looked solid though.
Better tell Alex or his pesky agenda may continue! Digital Foundry needs to be an objective medium.

If i have to believe you and TheThreadsThatBindUs (Who, instead of addressing the posts, proceeded to reward criticism with empathy and agreement with thumbs up likes), then this has to be called out. No time stamps needed, just tellem.

thatJohann

Requested a refund from Microsoft for Crysis 2 on Series X. Broken HDR. Settings screen got borked with SDR settings. Big old mess. Needs about 10 updates.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No no, it's BC+ gen 9 aware, whatever the fuck that means.
It means that it's running at possibly higher settings, but due to inability to access new APIs, it's running like if you would have 12TF of old gen GPU (same which is in X1X)... Sadly it does not work like on PC, it more low level and thus just recompiling it to new GDK (which has BC, to X1) would net better performance.

Up side is probably that you can run this game from the external storage...

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Requested a refund from Microsoft for Crysis 2 on Series X. Broken HDR. Settings screen got borked with SDR settings. Big old mess. Needs about 10 updates.
That is literally the only real culprit noted by John, that the HDR is scruffy at best.

And yet that was enough for you to request a refund and write ''Big old mess, Needs about 10 updates.''

Its almost as if the DF video, where hours upon hours of footage were recorded, was recorded in a different universe. The game is quite solid on all platforms, and the scruffy HDR is the one thing they pointed out as actually silly that it still exists.

I mean, all right to you, but the hyperbole here is just unreal. And that's no pun.*

*And i actually played the X360 version of the game. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, despite all the faults that are listed in the video - I was especially pleased to see them include the bridge section which indeed runs at a rather cinematic framerate. Crysis 2 on PS360 was just not optimized, and its kind of ironic that Crysis 3 pushed the boundary even more, yet ran better overall.

These new releases are a far cry (heh) from that and if you ever played the PS360 versions, its so much better. Its literally an impulse buy because of it.
No no, it's BC+ gen 9 aware, whatever the fuck that means.
It means its not a native app, but it runs in GCN+ mode: Meaning the PS5 XSX/S GPU's are treated as if they were GCN GPU's with substantially more cores than what is in the base PS4/Xbox One + Generational refinements.

Its better than just a straight port that does not take advantage of the hardware (There are games that literally just dedicate a GPU block that matches the config of the baseline machine, so for PS4 = 1152 cores), but its also not compiled with the PS5/XSX/S SDK.

I reckon part of this has to do with the fact that these remasters aren't on the latest Cryengine build, but use older builds that are then refactored for the new consoles.

Because that's basically the only way a remaster like this can happen. Completely new build/renderer means a total rework.

Even then the results are quite substantial.

JackMcGunns

I had to check again because it was such a brief [and only] mention. So John says, "you get the best picture quality on the Series X, but they are relatively the same". But neither he nor Alex says why. Is it the resolution, texture quality, IQ, or something else, they never mentioned. They also didn't show the actual differences either, apart from this one sentence. So take it as you will.

Or take it as said: "You get the best picture quality on Series X"

I "will" take it, or take it as I will. lol.

intbal

Just watch the first two minutes. Yes, this remaster is a gameplay upgrade. But it's a visual downgrade. The best thing that could happen (on Xbox systems, anyway) is for Microsoft to add FPS boost to the 360 version under backwards compatibility. That would provide the original look but with 60hz gameplay.

thatJohann

Just watch the first two minutes. Yes, this remaster is a gameplay upgrade. But it's a visual downgrade. The best thing that could happen (on Xbox systems, anyway) is for Microsoft to add FPS boost to the 360 version under backwards compatibility. That would provide the original look but with 60hz gameplay.

The Series X footage on the left side looks like it’s using the borked washed out HDR color profile which is messed up and will be patched. Doesn’t look that way at all if you disable hdr for the time being and adjust brightness properly. Just a heads up.

intbal

I only chose that video because it was convenient having them in a side by side.
As he points out right at the beginning, he is also using Auto-HDR on the 360 version, which is causing that black crush.

Here is a video of the game running on a 360. If you don't think this looks much better, then we'll just have to agree to disagree regarding artistic choices.

Fake

I only chose that video because it was convenient having them in a side by side.
As he points out right at the beginning, he is also using Auto-HDR on the 360 version, which is causing that black crush.

Here is a video of the game running on a 360. If you don't think this looks much better, then we'll just have to agree to disagree regarding artistic choices.

You still not answer if the Series X version is forcing HDR because that footage is washed out.

No, you're not agree to disagree, just ignoring some points. Other Series X videos on youtube don't show that washed color.

Feel free to keep avoiding questions and showing the same video channel.

CamHostage

The Series X footage on the left side looks like it’s using the borked washed out HDR color profile which is messed up and will be patched. Doesn’t look that way at all if you disable hdr for the time being and adjust brightness properly. Just a heads up.

Yeah, HDR can be catastrophic for captures, because there's an assumption that it's a standard, but it's pretty far from it. HDR ends up being different in every game, on every device that plays that game, on every capture card that snaps a picture or video of that game, of every home monitor that shows a screenshot or YT clip of that game, of every bit of persona calibration that the end user has set on their monitor before looking at somebody else's capture of that game...

HDR is a nice innovation that can make for a fantastic of your media, but if you're doing a capture, it seems best to probably just turn HDR off unless you know what you're doing and what you're trying to record.

What about that awful image quality and resolution? I'll take these remasters any day over that mess.

DF gave a glowing review of the Series X remaster, their video did not look bad at all. Like Crysis remastered, HDR is essentially broken and not recommended however.

SkylineRKR

I still play games from 1998-2005 on a regular basis.
Those things mean less to me than the average Gaffer.

Sure, when they're playable and look decent enough I am doing the same. Stuff like Zone of the Enders 2 or Rez from that era is still very nice.

Crysis on PS360 isn't one of them though. Its barely playable for me. I can at least see at what i'm shooting in the remaster, and the game responds to my inputs in time.

intbal

Crysis on PS360 isn't one of them though. Its barely playable for me. I can at least see at what i'm shooting in the remaster, and the game responds to my inputs in time.
Works great for me. Perhaps you should connect your 360 to a CRT monitor through the VGA output.

Last edited:
Top Bottom