• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Cruis'n Blast on Switch: A Riot of Superb 1080p60 Arcade Mayhem!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Variety argument is irrelevant.
Of course…

You have completely missed the point. That is, who's gonna pay 35 quid for such a basic piece of entertainment?

6fOVQIm.jpg

I did, because it is not a basic piece of entertainment :). I am commenting on something I have played. How about you?

I was making an example, DOOM Eternal reaches a better compromise than DOOM and Wolfenstein, still that was not the point of the example.

They have the (bigger) budget, higher target price, the technical chops, and more people on it too, but they still pushed for a target that prioritised visual parity with much more powerful HW and what they cut was IMHO more core to the experience than what the tiny Raw Thrills studio did: DOOM cut framerate to unstable 30 FPS from a game designed to be played at 60 FPS and the resolution cut is severe too (being able to navigate the environment and targeting enemies also being affected).

We’re you to give this game an additional year or two of development and more artists, developers, and testers they could reach a higher target, but so what? You cannot blame it on Raw Thrills, more on gamers who would have not wanted to pay $49-59 for it. Also, not sure they could have spent more money and delayed the game, so it would have been on Nintendo to invest more.

I think you misread what I was saying (hopefully it is clearer now) and you did not finish reading my post. One thing I did miss, adding now, was a nod to the content they added.
I understood, but Panic button's brutal cuts to fps and resolution and effects even (no motion blur on eternal) don't equate to technical chops. A chop job, perhaps. That jab aside lol, I just mean to say panic button should not be held up as the switch port kings.

It's not parity if the game is covered in petroleum jelly.

Where as the core experience of those games are greatly impacted, this port of cruisn is not. 60fps and crisp visuals. I read your point that raw thrills made the right decision and you were defending that, I just wanted to say that others and specifically panic button couldn’t do any better.

I would agree that simply more people on the port, may help a little bit but keep in mind raw thrills is the original developer and the arcade machie and switch share the same hardware architecture (maxwell) so it’s not as if they weren’t very familiar which switch’s capabilities.

But I just don’t think it could have been much better and that raw thrills did a good job.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I understood, but Panic button's brutal cuts to fps and resolution and effects even (no motion blur on eternal) don't equate to technical chops. A chop job, perhaps. That jab aside lol, I just mean to say panic button should not be held up as the switch port kings.

It's not parity if the game is covered in petroleum jelly.
Agreed, I was not fond of some of the compromises in either DOOM or DOOM Eternal, but Id let them do the first one and then worked with them closely while developing the second one on Switch (happened essentially in parallel with the main development of the other versions) and gave them 6 months on top to polish the Switch release… Id seemed to be happy with their work on the games. It certainly looked great in most screenshots and some videos: I think they focused on maintaining the visual look more than the core experience and redesigning the looks of the games more to fit 60 FPS and higher resolution on Switch. Still the graphics engine they ported certainly was very ambitious, I think they deserve praise although they made the wrong tradeoffs IMHO (redesigning the game for 60 FPS on Switch would have required a massive art effort they probably did not have enough staff on for either).

I will stop the digression here :D, sorry.

Where as the core experience of those games are greatly impacted, this port of cruisn is not. 60fps and crisp visuals. I read your point that raw thrills made the right decision and you were defending that, I just wanted to say that others and specifically panic button couldn’t do any better.
👍, agreed… Cruis’n maintains the core of the experience: crisp visuals, lots of exciting mayhem, and 60 FPS.

I would agree that simply more people on the port, may help a little bit but keep in mind raw thrills is the original developer and the arcade machie and switch share the same hardware architecture (maxwell) so it’s not as if they weren’t very familiar which switch’s capabilities.
Sure, but a very small team porting down a game from a high end PC (the arcade title could likely brute force some things on the CPU and GPU side [not sure they had to optimise for the darkest corners of the Switch targets similar resolutions when docked which is a big challenge, let alone the RAM difference between the two) has a big job ahead of them and they wanted and did add a lot of extra content too.
The work on the art team to redo most if not all assets and shaders to retain the exact look without framerate or resolution compromises is what I think they did not have the budget or time to do during the pandemic (it is a relatively short development cycle which included learning the ins and out of the Switch architecture).

But I just don’t think it could have been much better and that raw thrills did a good job.
Agreed they did an excellent job IMHO. The game shows love and passion for the series and its fans too.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I've tried to find the Cruis'n Blast arcade specs but I can't find any.
It is a 2017 games and not particularly heavy, poor geometry, lot of effects but simple shaders on cars and track. Daytona 3 ran on a old I5 with a DX11 card and it is much better, and you can run it with a old low range card like gtx1030 on tecknoparrot.

Shifty1897

I'll make a deal with the devs: if they patch out the FPS tanking because of the alpha effects during the boosts and replace those awful cube map reflections on puddles, I'll buy it at full price.

Aldric

Glad to see a good arcade racer on Switch, Nintendo have some of the best arcade racing IPs in the industry with F Zero, Waverace and Excite so if this does well it might convince Nintendo to release more games in this genre.

Yeah this game runs great on Ryujinx. Most of my progress is being made on the Switch version, but if I'm on my PC I'll load this up for some quick arcade races.

MrA

Banned
For anyone interested, I just saw that Walmart had this for $33.96
Won't pay 40 for a dl of it but I will pay 34 for physical
So nice to get a real arcade racer, not like forza horizon or drove club Simcade half measures (note I consider both drive club and horizon good products, but not what I want, I want arcade racing in which a hairpin turn means a quick tap of the breaks into a bitchin power slide at full speed not a carefully planned maneuver )

Cutty Flam

Banned

^^Me, grabbing a mega handful of Sophia Vergara's ass on the dance floor after our final move, with a rose clenched between my teeth

Well, I've ordered a used copy of this and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go. I picked up a couple of other Switch games too as I'm well behind on Switch games.
Do people know if there are bootleg Switch games? I ask as there are quite a few people selling cartridges only on eBay and I'm not really buying teh games to collect them, just to play them so I'm happy to save a bit of money buying without the cases but I obviously don't want to be buying fake games which I know have been an issue with other handhelds.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
I love this game. A lot of people are really missing the point of this game. It’s not about eye bleeding graphics, it’s about fun. This game is just damn fun to play.
Totally agree. If you like arcade racers, this game is great. It's kind of sad that a thread degraded into the back and forth, but such is the internet. I personally like having a quick pick up and play sort of racer on the Switch. I was afraid it'd just "feel" like a bad mobile port but it's really fun and really well executed.

Would it be nice if it had more content? Better graphics? Sure... that's always true. But what's there is fun, has a good amount of polish, and overall runs well on the Switch. So I'm perfectly happy with my purchase and I've played it quite a bit since release.

If you don't like arcade racers, it'll suck for you. Whatever. It's definitely the type of game you know before you play if you'll like it or not.

Deerock71

I have this game unopened to the right of me. I was thinking of giving it to my 9 year-old, but that little twit's getting a Switch OLED. I think Santa's gonna be stuffing MY stocking with this game on Christmas morning! He can bum the game off the old man!

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have this game unopened to the right of me. I was thinking of giving it to my 9 year-old, but that little twit's getting a Switch OLED. I think Samta's gonna be stuffing MY stocking with this game on Christmas morning! He can bum the game off the old man!
Its actually very good.

And yeah everything is gawdy neon. Will probably look nuts on an oled

bender

What time is it?
Enjoy, new owners. I completed all the difficulty levels, grabbed all the keys and maxed every vehicle. My only complaint is some of the vehicles removed from the arcade version (Crown Vic, Horse Drawn Wagon, etc.). I guess we got some new options in the home version but the wagon is dope.

Deerock71

Enjoy, new owners. I completed all the difficulty levels, grabbed all the keys and maxed every vehicle. My only complaint is some of the vehicles removed from the arcade version (Crown Vic, Horse Drawn Wagon, etc.). I guess we got some new options in the home version but the wagon is dope.
Oh wow, there was a Crown Vic car? Lol. Don't drink and drive, kids.

MrMephistoX

Seriously considering getting a Switch for this game, I have a weakness for arcade racers.
I literally whooped out loud when I saw Ridge Racer 6 went BC on Xbox: I miss the fuck out of Japanese arcade racers. Nintendo influenced OG Cruisin USA and I loved what I played of this at Dave and Busters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom