• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control on PS5 Tech Review

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I swear I'm seeing frame drops with rt on on the series x. Also bad blurring when I turn.
(Still some in performance mode, but not nearly as bad, im I'm not just talking 30 vs 60)

Downloading ps5 version now to compare.

Last edited:

Neo_game

In regards to the "this port was thrown together in a couple weeks" comments, is that actually true?

Control isn't new, and the PS5 has been out for 3 months. I feel like they announced this awhile ago. I don't think they literally just threw this together in the last few weeks.

RT tacked on? Isn't this a port of the PC version, which had RT from the beginning (didn't it? or am I mixed up)? I've lost track at this point.

I am not sure regarding the upgrades from last gen consoles. It was 1080P on Pro and 1440P on the X. I thought 60fps and RT is the only difference apart from resolution boost since it is running low-medium settings anyways.

Just played for about 20 minutes, just wanted to check it out before going to bed.

Yeah, it looks pretty good but clear difference between the PC version at 1440p/ultra. The low settings really show, especially if you were just playing it on a good PC.

I also am a little distracted by that artifacting DF mentioned around the character in front of certain backgrounds. I've even noticed it, to a lesser extent, on RT mode.

I am probably gonna stick with 60 fps mode, feels great.

Shmunter

I am not sure regarding the upgrades from last gen consoles. It was 1080P on Pro and 1440P on the X. I thought 60fps and RT is the only difference apart from resolution boost since it is running low-medium settings anyways.
It will be based on last gen no doubt. You don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. And yes, it means results are tied to those platforms.

A 60fps / res unlock would have been sufficient unless planning to play it in 30 frames per second RT 🤪

Lethal01

those would be your screenspace reflections but they might not be turned on for all surfaces in the game.

Spiderman in 2018 had these reflections without using RT.

ML2Fnw2.gif

Building don't move. Control has different requirements than spider-man. adding a cubemap would just lead to a super inaccurate reflection with 70% of the object very clearly missing.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Tried them both (ps5 and series x), pretty similar in performance. Both have the same bad blurring in quality mode when you turn, (yes motion blur was turned off). I swear at the beginning I was seeing frame drops on the x but the sections I was comparing a bit later into the game seemed similar, maybe slight edge to ps5 for movement and slight edge to x for image quality? The ps5 has the added benefit haptic feedback/triggers. And I think it loaded a bit faster.

To me neither looks amazing, seems like kind of a lazy enhancement to me on both, either machine could do better than this you would think. Or maybe the game just doesn't look that great period.....I never played it elsewhere other than a few minutes.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
You do realize, that even if it is a newer Version of the engine, loading in generall will be about the same in a functional way. Meaning, the way loading works will be pretty much the same. To Utalize this kind of storage in a way to have instantanious loading, it will require a even more custom approach for the engine specificly tailored to the ps5s architecture. I don't think many cross plattform games will do this, since development resources are rarely that freely given away for such a minor benefit (we're talking about near single digit seconds here). On the other hand, there is the headroom of doing so because the technology is there....

Sure I'm open to the possibility and I'd welcome it but considering they spent so much money on the SSD (and could've made the system cheaper if they didn't) it's a case of I'll believe it when I see it.

Mister Wolf

Sure I'm open to the possibility and I'd welcome it but considering they spent so much money on the SSD (and could've made the system cheaper if they didn't) it's a case of I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm still waiting for how it "effectively doubles the VRAM". Horizon 2 is a PS4 game and I'm expecting GOW to be as well so I hope they have something hidden to make good on that claim. The instantaneous loading really isn't that impressive to me in Demon Souls and R&C, not when they talked how the SSD would improve visuals.

Last edited:
what really boogles my mind is that we are seeing geometry saving efforts with these ports. there really shouldn't be the necessety for lowering LODs and shadow quality with these new APUs. makes no sence whatsoever.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
If you are interested in playing this game in quality mode, do yourself a favour and don’t even try performance mode, because switching back to quality mode will make the game feel very sluggish.

HAL-01

what really boogles my mind is that we are seeing geometry saving efforts with these ports. there really shouldn't be the necessety for lowering LODs and shadow quality with these new APUs. makes no sence whatsoever.
They most likely took the PS4 and Xbox builds and injected some pc code into it to make these ports. They’ve stated before they didn’t have a lot of resources to go deep with the optimization

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Could it be because they are running in BC GCN modes? i dont think any of the new rdna features are being utilized here. they are just slapping on RT on top of the BC ports because it's so well integrated.

Justin9mm

If you are interested in playing this game in quality mode, do yourself a favour and don’t even try performance mode, because switching back to quality mode will make the game feel very sluggish.
That's every game mate, your eyes eventually adjust and the feeling goes away after a small amount of time.

I see this same comment on every thread between modes lol

Obviously 60fps is superior but you do adjust to the 30fps.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I'm still waiting for how it "effectively doubles the VRAM". Horizon 2 is a PS4 game and I'm expecting GOW to be as well so I hope they have something hidden to make good on that claim. The instantaneous loading really isn't that impressive to me in Demon Souls and R&C, not when they talked how the SSD would improve visuals.
I think we'll be waiting until unreal engine 5, epic seems to be the only other one really on board with wanting such fast SSD speeds apart from Sony.

DJ12

I think we'll be waiting until unreal engine 5, epic seems to be the only other one really on board with wanting such fast SSD speeds apart from Sony.
Ride 4 which uses UE4 loads considerably faster on PS5, so whatever they are doing has filtered into the current branch also in some way

The other day someone was offended when I said that a mere RTX 2070 seems to be enough to match the PS5. It's just the reality of it. Ps5 is great and is an amazing kit, but the dream of PC Ultra settings aren't feasible on a budget console.
We're seeing games around 3060 or better performance already and, as is the case every generation, as time goes on further optimisation will continue to provide better results on console, while those equivalent PC specs fall behind.

Like last gen, where at first a 750 ti was more than enough to match or exceed the PS4, but was woefully inadequate in the last few years.

But yes, anyone wanting the maximum possible settings isn't getting that with a $400 PS5. If you want the absolute best, you need to pony up the few grand needed for it and keep doing so each year as those parts become out of date.

FireFly

But yes, anyone wanting the maximum possible settings isn't getting that with a $400 PS5. If you want the absolute best, you need to pony up the few grand needed for it and keep doing so each year as those parts become out of date.
Realistically, once you have exceeded a certain performance level, you should be good for the entire generation. Last generation, a GTX 970 was fine until almost the end. (At 1080p)

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
That's every game mate, your eyes eventually adjust and the feeling goes away after a small amount of time.

I see this same comment on every thread between modes lol

Obviously 60fps is superior but you do adjust to the 30fps.
No it’s more an input lag issue on quality mode that is worse than the last gen versions.

Tried them both (ps5 and series x), pretty similar in performance. Both have the same bad blurring in quality mode when you turn, (yes motion blur was turned off). I swear at the beginning I was seeing frame drops on the x but the sections I was comparing a bit later into the game seemed similar, maybe slight edge to ps5 for movement and slight edge to x for image quality? The ps5 has the added benefit haptic feedback/triggers. And I think it loaded a bit faster.

To me neither looks amazing, seems like kind of a lazy enhancement to me on both, either machine could do better than this you would think. Or maybe the game just doesn't look that great period.....I never played it elsewhere other than a few minutes.

I think that's more a game that was simply better done for RTX Nvidia GPU, a good demo of RT effects. So it better used Nvidia chip, that's why it's not crazy on PS5 and XsX, but overall it's not bad on these consoles with the 60fps mode.

Last edited:
Seems the two versions are really on par. The minor fps drops we see in the video seem pretty bizarre no ?? (same "form factor" with the two consoles, appeared few more on Series X in the video):

ExtxeFE.jpg

n70clH1.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So I started Series S version.... It looks like shit... It is VERY noisy and jagged as fuck. Stutter is also here. Great port Remedy....fuck you
It's Remedy.

Their games (at least console versions) never run ultra smooth. It's all about game engines that have some physics or whatever. Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Control etc.

Game resolution and frame rate are low on the priority list.

kyliethicc

Same as DF PS5, except as mentioned where it can't go lower (eg LOD) it's just on 'low'.
Ok thanks. Well thats not bad the for the PS5 then.

Its got far fewer shaders than the AMD RX 6800, similar clocks, but the PS5 lacks the infinity cache for bandwidth, uses less power, and only has 16 GB of VRAM, some of which isn't for the games to use, while this PC has 16 GB VRAM + 16 GB DRAM. Idk how the Intel CPU compares to the PS5's CPU.

Considering that PC got an average of 60 FPS with some dips, just like the PS5, but has a stronger RDNA2 GPU, at about the same settings, I'd say the PS5 is a solid system and good value.

That 6800 GPU costs more than the entire PS5 lol.

kuncol02

Banned

The XSX experiences minor FPS drops in scenes that the PS5 does not.

Amazing channel. They have 4 videos about Hitman 3. None of them has comparison between PS5 and XSX. I don't understand how someone can do so much of hard work and then throw away own integrity because your favorite console is not winning in one game.

TriSuit666

Banned
Which settings do you play on?
Think I'd already mentioned but 1440p/4k, Ultra, High RTX settings, all knobs and dials set to max/ultra/high/bust the fps's.

I personally think with this game it's the higher RT settings (contact shadows, etc) that contribute to prettying up the rough edges of the textures, certainly Jessie goes from looking like her eyes are bulging out her face to somewhat normal with them on.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I guess if it really is as big a "paradigm shift" as some developers make it out to be, we may end up having to wait until half way through the generation to actually see something interesting in that regard.

It's all well and good to have Epic showing that Unreal engine demo when there's nothing really going on actual gameplay/AI wise but like you I want to see the goods.

It really makes me glad I didn't cave and pay the crazy scalper prices for either console.

UnNamed

Banned
PS4 can run better all emulators, multi platform games, support all controllers, resolutions, framerates, mods more than pc??? Tell me more.
Who said can run better? Not me.

I'm just saying the argument PC are better than console cause pc can run programs is a nonsense, since games are programs, and in a world where modern fridge can run doom.

its almost as if Remedy can't just build their engine around the PS5 SSD because the game is also on xbox and pc
But isn't this a valid comparison? It's the same game running on different hardware. To test and compare the SSD performances the application must by default be multi platform. We can't compare the SSD performance using an exclusive title, since we don't have the game available in other platforms!

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Amazing channel. They have 4 videos about Hitman 3. None of them has comparison between PS5 and XSX. I don't understand how someone can do so much of hard work and then throw away own integrity because your favorite console is not winning in one game.
VG tech and NX Gamer have both ignored Hitman also...

I just watched that video. Nothing in it

kyliethicc

But isn't this a valid comparison? It's the same game running on different hardware. To test and compare the SSD performances the application must by default be multi platform. We can't compare the SSD performance using an exclusive title, since we don't have the game available in other platforms!
sure but don't pretend like Control is demonstrating the maximum loading speed of the PS5's SSD, its not.

A PC PS5 XBSX multiplat dev might just build their loading around say SATA SSDs on PC and therefore the loading on consoles would be unoptimized and slower that it could be, etc.

Kenpachii

just ran some non RT tests myself at 1440p and PS5 settings using my rtx 2080, and i was getting 85-95 fps in combat with some rare dips to 79 and goes as high as 102 fps in some empty areas. pretty much on par with your 1080 Ti which is expected.

then i realized, I have a rtx card and can do DLSS even with RT off, and boom, 125-135 fps in combat. 150 in empty areas. thats double the PS5 performance in performance mode.

Man DLSS is the real deal.

Main reason i would want to upgrade really. if nvidia drops a actual half decent upgrade of a card on the market.

Top Bottom