• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Can the Slowest PS5 SSD Upgrade Run Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart?

3liteDragon

The PS5 System Software has been updated to support ALL PCIe Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe drives, so with the help of Fidler_2K from the DF Supporter Program, we tracked down the absolute slowest drive - the WD SN750 SE - and stacked it up against the console's internal SSD and the Mark Cerny-approved max spec WD SN850. Can a bargain basement, spec-deficient drive cut it out against the best of the best? The results are surprising.

Kazza

iu

killatopak

Gold Member
So basically it means there’s more room for improvement for future games.

I distinctly remember Insomniac devs telling them that they had a problem with SSD speed. Not with it not being not fast enough but that their game engine couldn’t fully utilize the speed. I dunno if he’s telling the truth but the results shown here seems to confirm it a little.

edit: yeah, they really did say that the engine couldn’t keep up with the SSD speed. Here is the interview.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I would like to know how much data a second R&C really needs. I think it would be quite telling if there were a way to test SATA drives.
TL;DW: Yes. There's barely a difference.

Would be interesting to know what the real bottom is. 2500 MB/s? 2000? 1500? Sadly nobody can really test it.
Looking at the game, the amount of data it's pulling in is probably in the GB/s range but nowhere near 5.5GB/s. My guess would be 1-2GB/s, which means a decent PCIe 3.0 drive can probably run the game, pure speculation on my part.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Aside from a couple times writing to the slow WD750 took forever (like 9x longer than writing to the 850), everything else from gameplay, frame rate hitches, and loading times were basically a wash between the WD750, WD850 and PS5's internal SSD.

In other words, the WD750 3.2gb/s SSD is just as good as the internal SSD.

If you look closely at the gameplay triple comparison, there are times the WD drives frame rates are a bit better than PS5's for a fraction of a second.

For all you PC gamers who'd chime in once in a while in an SSD thread saying your PC's slower SSD could probably do R&C's time warping tunnels. You're right. A PC 3.2gb/s SSD did it fine.

Last edited:
Aside from a couple times writing to the slow WD750 took forever (like 9x longer than writing to the 850), everything else from gameplay, frame rate hitches, and loading times were basically a wash between the WD750, WD850 and PS5's internal SSD.

In other words, the WD750 3.2gb/s SSD is just as good as the internal SSD.

If you look closely at the gameplay triple comparison, there are times the WD drives frame rates are a bit better than PS5's for a fraction of a second.
I personally still wouldn't buy a slow SSD for the PS5. Maybe two, three years from now Sony releases games which actually use 5500 MB/S of bandwidth, and then if you cheaped out on the SSD you're out of luck.

Lysandros

Just like that the comment section of the video is already full of clueless people making fun of PS5's I/O-SSD tech and Cerny. Mission accomplished i guess. If i were Cerny i would post an a mini article explaining the reasons. But knowing that Sony don't seem to care about its hardware reputation to the slightest degree this gen, i see this possiblity as low.

nikolino840

Just like that the comment section of the video is already full of clueless people making fun of PS5's I/O-SSD tech and Cerny. Mission accomplished i guess. If i were Cerny i would post an a mini article explaining the reasons. But knowing that Sony don't seem to care about its hardware reputation to the slightest degree this gen, i see this possiblity as low.
What reasons? 🤣 i would like to see your posts in the first reveal trailer of r&c 🤷‍♂️

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I personally still wouldn't buy a slow SSD for the PS5. Maybe two, three years from now Sony releases games which actually use 5500 MB/S of bandwidth, and then if you cheaped out on the SSD you're out of luck.
Thats true.

But at this point with R&C being the focal point of SSD, it looks like a 3.2gb/s PC SSD handles loading and streaming data perfectly fine. And it was the crappiest SSD they could find that supports the specs. You never know, if there was a compatible card running at 2 gb/s R&C might still work just as well. Nobody knows the absolute bottom requirement.

Just to show how odd it can be, in some of those loading comparisons, the 750 did just as well or even a touch better in a few examples than the internal. It was such an even-steven comparison, all 3 were basically just as good except for a few weird loading issues with the 750 which took forever, but then another game was some reason fast like the other SSDs.

T-Cake

Is there such a thing as a SATA to NVME convertor so you could plug in something even slower? It would be an interesting test.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So which is incorrect the box label saying its 3200mb/s or PS5s OS saying its like 5000mb/s?

Maybe you could do it, I assume you are not one of the clueless people?

NickFire

It's the one game that pushes streaming speed tbh. Next up is... idk, Spiderman 2? We'll be waiting a loooong time.
I stand by my doubt that one game at the beginning of the cycle is good reason to install below expansions below spec. I find it incredibly unbelievable that Sony is recommending the minimum speed for the heck of it. They don't even have a propriety expansion to profit from.

Neo_game

I wonder why are they recommending faster SSD when slower pcie gen 4 are good enough. If only 5-10 games need faster SSD I am not sure it will be worth it

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
People probably cannot fathom how much data is 5.5GB/s of sustained bandwidth.

Let's just say that in last gen you have barely 30MB/s with a lot of overhead and slow CPU, not the mention seek times.

By the way, some background info Direct Storage coupled with RTX3090 (sorry I don't do pleb GPUs) is a real deal, but PS5 ASIC is still faster.
And yes I am dev. And yes NDA.

But brighter future ahead.

Last edited:

skit_data

Not very surprised by the results tbh, a game developed before specs were finalized. I’m more surprised that the speed test of the drive was completely off.

As Richard is saying dedicated decompression pulls the heaviest weight and it will take a while before devs will maximize the potential by utilizing it to the fullest.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Thats true.

But at this point with R&C being the focal point of SSD, it looks like a 3.2gb/s PC SSD handles loading and streaming data perfectly fine. And it was the crappiest SSD they could find that supports the specs. You never know, if there was a compatible card running at 2 gb/s R&C might still work just as well. Nobody knows the absolute bottom requirement.

Just to show how odd it can be, in some of those loading comparisons, the 750 did just as well or even a touch better in a few examples than the internal. It was such an even-steven comparison, all 3 were basically just as good except for a few weird loading issues with the 750 which took forever, but then another game was some reason fast like the other SSDs.

These added drives still need to use the I/O complex, so i wouldn’t say it would be completely the same performance without I/O complex.

This is only good news for future PS5 games. A lot of headroom for bigger titles.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I’ve said from the start, ratchet and crank is more coding than hardware.. you can easily see where the tricks and loading are hidden.
There are no hiding loading screens other than a white flash in Blizar Prime.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I stand by my doubt that one game at the beginning of the cycle is good reason to install below expansions below spec. I find it incredibly unbelievable that Sony is recommending the minimum speed for the heck of it. They don't even have a propriety expansion to profit from.
Personally, I think anyone buying a compatible SSD will be fine. If the 5.5gb/s was that important, they wouldnt let people install slower SSDs. They'd just make it mandatory 5.5 or more. And wouldnt say "recommended 5.5"

I see this example like PC games min and reco specs. But in this case, the min and reco specs lead the same quality and performance.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Let's just pretend that hardware decompressor, coprocessors, SRAM, coherency engine and Cache Scrubbers don't exist and the site external SSD isn't connected to them. That's the right thing to do.
That's not the point. The point is that Sony couldve gone with a cheaper and slower SSD to reduce costs or maybe apply those cost savings into a more powerful GPU or a bigger SSD.

Because right now, it's a waste of money. They have essentially spent extra money on something that will not be utilized by 99% of devs. And the 1% who are utilizing it, are not even close to maxing it out as this Ratchet test shows.

99% of the devs are going to fully max out the 10 tflops GPU. It's not that hard. You push resolution and pixels and some GPU heavy RT effects and you hit the GPU bottleneck. No one at the moment seems to be maxing out this SSD. I/O seems to be more than capable on its own. What Cerny has done is deliver a weaker console at the expense of this fancy SSD that no one seems to give a shit about at the moment. Literally one studio has taken advantage of it, and they are 2.2 GBps away from maxing it out. The rest of their own studios are busy doing cross gen games.

Maybe in 2 years when Spiderman comes out and does something fancy with the PS5 SSD speeds of 5.5 GBps we can say that it was a good choice to prioritize SSD speeds over SSD size and faster GPU. But if we have to wait 3 years to see what this fancy SSD can do then maybe they shouldve stuck in their mid gen console instead.

"My take on the results is that we should not be expecting to see the SSD pushed to its limits in first-gen PlayStation 5 titles."

First-gen ok. What about next? That's why Richard recommend to buy using the recommendations ( >= 5.5GB/s read)

Last edited:

Mr Moose

That's not the point. The point is that Sony couldve gone with a cheaper and slower SSD to reduce costs or maybe apply those cost savings into a more powerful GPU or a bigger SSD.

Because right now, it's a waste of money. They have essentially spent extra money on something that will not be utilized by 99% of devs. And the 1% who are utilizing it, are not even close to maxing it out as this Ratchet test shows.

99% of the devs are going to fully max out the 10 tflops GPU. It's not that hard. You push resolution and pixels and some GPU heavy RT effects and you hit the GPU bottleneck. No one at the moment seems to be maxing out this SSD. I/O seems to be more than capable on its own. What Cerny has done is deliver a weaker console at the expense of this fancy SSD that no one seems to give a shit about at the moment. Literally one studio has taken advantage of it, and they are 2.2 GBps away from maxing it out. The rest of their own studios are busy doing cross gen games.

Maybe in 2 years when Spiderman comes out and does something fancy with the PS5 SSD speeds of 5.5 GBps we can say that it was a good choice to prioritize SSD speeds over SSD size and faster GPU. But if we have to wait 3 years to see what this fancy SSD can do then maybe they shouldve stuck in their mid gen console instead.
How much did their SSD cost?

Top Bottom