• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Call of Duty Vanguard PS5 vs Series X/S. 60 and 120 fps modes tested.

ethomaz

Banned
But the peak is lower, and whatever the floor is, it clearly needs lowering even more.
In DRS the peak doesn’t matter that much… it can be 2160p for all games.

What matters in DRS is how aggressive the settling is to drop the resolution in framerate favor… so the average or floor are more important for DRS than peak. Without both information there is no way to say the resolution needs to be lowered even more.

In most cases CPU will be a issue for 120fps and not GPU btw… PS5 can be running at 1080p or lower most of time and the framerate not hitting 120fps.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sheet GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I kinda fell out and not played neither of last 3 campaigns... and these are all still 60 euro each on pc ... ufff

Arioco

Didn't cold war have the same type of problem with frame rate drops,couldn't you then play the same part of the game again and next time have no drops.

Yes, it did, but it was a different issue. Basically the DSR was bugged on PS5, which caused the game to not drop the resolution when it was supposed to. That's why some times when comparing like for like footage the frame rate tanked on PS5 but not on Series X, because the DRS was working properly on Series consoles while on PS5, even if the scene was very demanding, the rez stayed at 4K. And the bug was random, you could play one scene and get the frame rate drop and play again the same scene at perfect 60 fps. That's why we were getting conflicting reports from the sources that usually make this tipe of comparisons. Finally someone pixel counted that scenes and realized the rez was dropping on Series consoles but not on PS5 when it should.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm starting to not care about the games that are tested at launch nowadays as the majority are released in a bad state of affairs.

I very rarely buy games at launch anymore so am definitely interested in analysis once the games are actually finished ie patched to at least be stable.

JackMcGunns

Obligatory reminder that draws are PS5 victories.

But still, what a waste.
Why can't anyone develop good and interesting WW games? Just the same shit, with those bigger than life stories.
Just make a game with few missions but long missions that represent what an actual battle must looked like and let the players free to fight or die.

I draw is a win for Sony huh? I bet that's exactly how you think it is in your head 🤯😬

JackMcGunns

I think the point can be made because you can get a PS5 for 100$ less (Digital edition)

Nah, you're loosing the Blu-ray drive and the ability to ever borrow a physical game, that's where the price reduction stems from, other parts are identical. One could argue then that the real winner is Series S at $299 with identical visuals for someone who owns a non 4K TV, but just like the PS5 digital, we're ignoring parts of the loss like never having 4K, or on the PS5 digital side, never being able to play borrowed games or games from the bargain bin.

scydrex

Nah, you're loosing the Blu-ray drive and the ability to ever borrow a physical game, that's where the price reduction stems from, other parts are identical. One could argue then that the real winner is Series S at $299 with identical visuals for someone who owns a non 4K TV, but just like the PS5 digital, we're ignoring parts of the loss like never having 4K, or on the PS5 digital side, never being able to play borrowed games or games from the bargain bin.

Some people don't care about loosing the BD drive. Still the drive cost estimate is like $20 or so... it dosen't cost $50 or more. Still i would get a disc version.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Obligatory reminder that draws are PS5 victories.

But still, what a waste.
Why can't anyone develop good and interesting WW games? Just the same shit, with those bigger than life stories.
Just make a game with few missions but long missions that represent what an actual battle must looked like and let the players free to fight or die.
BaY5bn5.gif

The Series X and S absolutely do NOT have identical visuals on a 1080p TV, not even close.

ethomaz

Banned
The Series X and S absolutely do NOT have identical visuals on a 1080p TV, not even close.
This.

Series X is basically the best Xbox option for 1080p TVs… I don’t even knows why people says if you have a 1080p TV you need to get a Series S… it is the opposite… if you want the best Xbox visual quality in your 1080p TV you should go with Series X.

Last edited:
Some people don't care about loosing the BD drive. Still the drive cost estimate is like $20 or so... it dosen't cost $50 or more. Still i would get a disc version.

Same I got a disk PS5 and I'm looking at digital prices for many games that I want. Sometimes physical is cheaper other times digital is less expensive. It's nice to be able to choose between the two instead of being limited to just one.

Edit:

Example.

Shadow of the Colossus is 10$ digitally while the physical off Amazon is 30$.

With RDR2 it's 60$ for a digital copy while it's 30$ for a physical one.

Last edited:

scydrex

Same I got a disk PS5 and I'm looking at digital prices for many games that I want. Sometimes physical is cheaper other times digital is less expensive. It's nice to be able to choose between the two instead of being limited to just one.

Edit:

Example.

Exactly. I prefer physical but if the digital version is half the price or a lot cheaper than the physical version then I buy the digital. If the price is $10 or less then i prefer physical.

Hoddi

Edit:

Example.

There was a time when going digital promised to bring the prices down because it cut out the middle-man and didn't involve the packaging and transportation costs of physical releases. It's really weird how that didn't pan out :/

I never thought it would happen but I've been slowly going back to physical releases, myself.

Exactly. I prefer physical but if the digital version is half the price or a lot cheaper than the physical version then I buy the digital. If the price is $10 or less then i prefer physical.

There was a time when going digital promised to bring the prices down because it cut out the middle-man and didn't involve the packaging and transportation costs of physical releases. It's really weird how that didn't pan out :/

I never thought it would happen but I've been slowly going back to physical releases, myself.

When comes to consoles i find digital to be relatively expensive. But steam is a whole different story with the steam deals. I bought so many games dirt cheap on that platform.

sendit

The amount of people who care about this feature is dying. Gamepass is just the start.

ethomaz

Banned
When comes to consoles i find digital to be relatively expensive. But steam is a whole different story with the steam deals. I bought so many games dirt cheap on that platform.
It is the same on consoles with old titles… there is flash sales every month and you can buy titles at dirt cheap.

At launch you still pay full price.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They were never worth it.

The vast, vast, vast majority of people have one Xbox or PlayStation console and comparison between the two systems never was some sort of buyer's guide, just fanboy ammo.

People aren't, in the most part, changing console because one of them is doing better, they still just buy games for the system they own.

We all ought to boycott these videos and just enjoy games.
What I find interesting in those video is how the game run on the console that I have, that, of course doesn't need to be in a comparison video but it attracts console warrior and raise the number of views, so I get why they are doing that.But the best would be an in-depth analysis video of each console.You avoid stupid wars and warrior but still know how it runs.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Physical is a must for some of these games. No one really wants to pay 70 pounds for a game you complete in a weekend, especially one you can platinum in just over 10 hours and not be able to trade in.

If a friend bought the same pc as me but chose to not have a blu ray drive and saved themselves 100 spon doolers I wouldn't say he was winning when our games performed the same. I'd just think they chose to have less features than me but that might be fine as he doesn't need them.

I watch 4k blu rays etc. They might not be interested.

Off topic.

Both versions need patches but performance seems equal here on another cross gen game.

I have the feeling that devs just aren't using any if these machines key features and are just doing the bare minimum, hence these strange io bugs.

Last edited:

K' Dash

0fps?
During firefights even?

This is so stupid.
That needs to be patched ASAP.
Amazed it actually made it through QA.

120fps mode seems to be near random 10fps advantage back and forth between the big boys.
Though honestly once you hit 100fps you are golden.
But I know someone wants to post "anotherone.gif"

Series S didnt really need 120fps mode, its barely getting to 100fps.
90+ is where frame rate differences are hard to notice.
If you are hitting 70-80 you will know you are well under 120fps.
But i guess its better than nothing

P.S They are basically the same with the Series S actually hitting 1440p and big boys doing 4K60.

Stuff like that doesn't "make it through QA", the suits just decide to launch the game in that state because most people don't give a fuck, they'll just buy the newest COD.

Last edited:

Duchess

the suits just decide to launch the game in that state because most people don't give a fuck
Most likely!

Devs: "We're still working on that freezing and stuttering."

Suits: "In the multiplayer?"

Devs: "No, the campaign."

Suits: "Pfft, no one cares about that. Just ship it now and we'll push out a campaign fix after Christmas."

Devs: "But ... that means we'll have to work over Christmas to fix it."

Suits: "You lot have all got mortgages to pay, right?"

Devs: "..."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Stuff like that doesn't "make it through QA", the suits just decide to launch the game in that state because most people don't give a fuck, they'll just buy the newest COD.
Most likely!

Devs: "We're still working on that freezing and stuttering."

Suits: "In the multiplayer?"

Devs: "No, the campaign."

Suits: "Pfft, no one cares about that. Just ship it now and we'll push out a campaign fix after Christmas."

Devs: "But ... that means we'll have to work over Christmas to fix it."

Suits: "You lot have all got mortgages to pay, right?"

Devs: "..."
Gotta hit that Q4 Christmas rush at all costs.

Ps5 wins this one IMO. Screen tearing is way too much in the XsX.
Yes indeed. And without screen-tearing the average fps would be quite worse on XSX.

Also the 120hz mode runs better on PS5, again. There is clearly a pattern here.
Put side by side in the absolute worst stress points PS5 wins out with better performance and no screen tearing
EDIT: There was more to come in the video, both performing similarly (albeit with screen-tearing on XSX), sorry about that.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
What about the sections where the 120hz mode runs better on the XSX? Or does that not count?

If you've got a 120hz display then you're probably going to have VRR, if you want the very best console experience then that's the best way to play.
Played a lot of multiplayer and it has ran great for me on Series X.
Maybe multiplayer doesn't have the problems though. It all seems pretty much the same as how MW ran which makes sense since it's the same engine.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Those massive stutters when going through a checkpoint are god awful. What the hell?
Yeah i thought my series x was broken, it reminds me of an xbox 360 game. That being said, outside of technical bugs im REALLY enjoying this! The game looks pheonomenal, i like the story so far, and the game feels great since its using moderwarfare 2019’s engine

Last edited:

MikeM

PS5 technically (slightly) outperforms XSX in this having the same FPS profile while being fully vsync'ed. And Tom's emphasis on teraflops and 'the most powerful console' every single time in his videos is beginning to become very tiresome.
But why can’t Tom say it? It’s what MS runs with from a marketing perspective. 🤷‍♂️
What 120Hz TV you got that doesnt support VRR?
Not even Freesync?
X900H I have technically supports it, but from what I hear its a shit implementation. I’m not updating my firmware until it works properly. Not sure it ever will with the chip limitation on it.
This TV now supports VRR and I think everyone should have the update now its just horrible though
Check it out online. Vincent Toeh says its a disaster.
I'm starting to not care about the games that are tested at launch nowadays as the majority are released in a bad state of affairs.

I very rarely buy games at launch anymore so am definitely interested in analysis once the games are actually finished ie patched to at least be stable.
I stopped buying them day 1. Supporting broken games (save a few developers) is criminal. I wait until they are discounted as by then they are usually fixed.

Elios83

PS5 technically (slightly) outperforms XSX in this having the same FPS profile while being fully vsync'ed. And Tom's emphasis on teraflops and 'the most powerful console' every single time in his videos is beginning to become very tiresome.

He's the biggest Xbox fanboy they have there, in last year's COD video he was cheering when there were sections when the frame rate was higher on XSX like he was watching a soccer match :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Reality is that one year has passed and COD runs the same on both.

ethomaz

Banned
X900H I have technically supports it, but from what I hear its a shit implementation. I’m not updating my firmware until it works properly. Not sure it ever will with the chip limitation on it.
X900H VRR firmware is beta yet… Sony is releasing the feature in two parts… there is another firmware to come with the second part of the VRR update.

It is well explained by them but people are taking this first beta firmware as the real deal.

While the release of the second VRR firmware is not out I can’t talk about if the VRR implementation in X900H is good or bad.

Last edited:

Lysandros

He's the biggest Xbox fanboy they have there, in last year's COD video he was cheering when there were sections when the frame rate was higher on XSX like he was watching a soccer match :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Reality is that one year has passed and COD runs the same on both.
In his enthusiasm, he quite unfortunately missed that PS5 version ran at native 4K in these moments due to DRS bug. These things happen in the heat of the moment i guess. In fact PS5 had the slight edge in performance in 120 FPS mode. Might be still the case in Vanguard, a side by side Vgtech comparison would be handy but he made separate videos instead, using different sections for some reason.

Edit: After seeing Vgtech' recent comparison video, i was right in my prediction apparently. PS5 has the performance edge in both modes.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
X900H VRR firmware is beta yet… Sony is releasing the feature in two parts… there is another firmware to come with the second part of the VRR update.

It is well explained by them but people are taking this first beta firmware as the real deal.

While the release of the second VRR firmware is not out I can’t talk about if the VRR implementation in X900H is good or bad.
What TV do you use?

Zathalus

The second firmware got released and it's still shit.

ethomaz

Banned
The second firmware got released and it's still shit.

I will watch late.
RTings tested and it worked… the issue they found is that the it disabled the local dimming feature.

They said it works better with AMD cards… and it doesn’t work with nVidia GSync at all. They found inconsistencies like today is working perfectly but tomorrow not… that is really weird I hope Sony fix it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom