• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] : Call of Duty Vanguard Beta: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Multiplayer + 120Hz Modes Tested!

MrFunSocks

Banned
120 mode will look and more importantly feel incommensurately smoother on Series X.

The vsync stutter on ps5 will drive most mad.
It’s hilarious how certain people will jump all over things like a 0.2fps difference mean frame rate because of a single cutscene but will also dismiss something as game changing as VRR.

VRR when first announced was mind blowing. It’s probably the biggest and most important development in gaming in terms of impact in the last 10 years.

Gaming would be so much better if everyone has VRR monitors as standard because then games wouldn’t be restricted to 30/60fps. A game could release with a solid 52fps framerate and be perfect.

Last edited:

Markio128

It’s hilarious how certain people will jump all over thinks like a 0.2fps difference mean frame rate because of a single cutscene but will also dismiss something as game changing as VRR.

VRR when first announced was mind blowing. It’s probably the biggest and most important development in gaming in terms of impact in the last 10 years.
Tbh, I hadn’t actually heard of VRR until the Series X started getting beaten by PS5 in comparisons.

It’s hilarious how certain people will jump all over thinks like a 0.2fps difference mean frame rate because of a single cutscene but will also dismiss something as game changing as VRR.

Gaming would be so much better if everyone has VRR monitors as standard because then games wouldn’t be restricted to 30/60fps. A game could release with a solid 52fps framerate and be perfect.
It's the biggest upgrade one can/must do to their gaming set-up.

They point to 40 fps drop like it's that big of a deal with VRR. Its just 4ms increase [from 8,3ms @120fps to 12,5ms @80fps]. Apart from competitive players, most regulars will hardly notice that. It's nothing like going from 16,6ms 6 60fps to a borderline unplayable 33,3ms @30fps. I'd dare to say 60Hz mode will feel better on PS5, than 120 one.

If ps5 supported VRR you could have games come with 45fps mode for VRR displays and it would feel nearly as good as your old school 60fps vsync on., Slightly lmore blur, but you save a ton of perf for other things like better effects and stuff, so fair trade off.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Tbh, I hadn’t actually heard of VRR until the Series X started getting beaten by PS5 in comparisons.
I guess you haven’t been a big general gaming news person then, not saying that as an insult either. The announcement of G-sync and then free sync were *massive* for gaming. Consoles have only recently got it though, and most people on here are console players only.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
If ps5 supported VRR you could have games come with 45fps mode for VRR displays and it would feel nearly as good as your old school 60fps vsync on., Slightly lmore blur, but you save a ton of perf for other things like better effects and stuff, so fair trade off.
Did you see the 40fps mode in ratchet and clank thread on here? The same people that continually dismiss VRR were saying how incredible it is for 120hz screens hahaha

Markio128

I guess you haven’t been a big general gaming news person then, not saying that as an insult either. The announcement of G-sync and then free sync were *massive* for gaming. Consoles have only recently got it though, and most people on here are console players only.
No, you’re absolutely right, and I’m not insulted. I can nerd it out with the best of them when it comes to games, but not when it comes to cutting edge technology. I own PS5, Series X and a Switch, but I’m also still rocking the iPhone 5s haha. I don’t really keep up with the new tech trends, outside of the latest consoles.

ZywyPL

Banned
Also, I don’t think VRR compatibility excuses devs of not hitting expected FPS - they should just improve the scaling to hit the targets.

It baffles me since PS4/XB1 launched how on earth are now sacrificing the resolution on favor of framerate, and still sacrifice framerate anyway... While all it takes is making the scaling more aggresive.

Lysandros

I’d class it as a win for Xbox if it could beat the PS5 without VRR. I’m not trying to troll here, but once PS5 gets VRR support, the stats without it will stand out like a sore thumb. I’m just genuinely surprised that the Series X isn’t destroying the PS5 in general performance.
Why did you expect XSX to 'destroy' PS5 in general performance, what's the basis for it?

Series X maintains 60fps 99.97% of the time and tears a total of 1 frame. Not bad. However, clearly they need to do some better optimization work for the 120fps mode, where it maintains 120fps only 91.9% of the time. It's doing notably better on the PS5 on that front. Seems the PS5 version of this game is the only one remotely adequately optimized.

I have no interest in the game, but at least for the people who do, the studio has some work to do before release on Xbox. Based on what I saw, performance is the least of the Series X version's problems. I saw the game visually bugging out like crazy for people on twitter. I would honestly never risk playing a new COD game on my Series X. There doesn't really appear to be much care put into making sure their games aren't doing anything crazy or scary to the system. Heard about shutdowns at launch with cold war, and then I saw all those graphical distortions with this one. Won't take any chances with my still rare to find Series X. Much respect to those brave enough to do so.

Baby Hat GIF

This is completely wrong.

I have had G Sync and VRR for years and it absolutely is revolutionary I can have drops from 165Hz to 90 FPS on games like Apex etc and it is completely unnoticeable and is buttery smooth.

Oh and yes, people still don't seem to know just how good VRR truly is. So can't blame them for not knowing how well it works. Drops in the 120fps range are not the same kind of issue as drops in the 60fps range. I was under the impression that people actually knew this.

A2una1

So what do we have here? XSX losing an other comparison and the usual people throwing the VRR card to justify the poor performance :messenger_grinning_sweat: a strong deja-vu.
When VRR is enabled on PS5 some people are going to have a panic attack.
I would argue VRR is only available for a little fraction of people. I have a perfectly fine 4k HDR tv with no VRR and no 120FPS. And I can't reason to buy a new TV just for this technological upgrade. And I would argue, this is even more the case for people who just want to game a little bit...

On the other hand it's better to have the option in your 6-7yearish console....

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
To be fair, he's right in that in many game comparisons, XSX games pushed higher res but lost a miniscule percentage of framerate compared to the PS5 counterpart. "Destroyed" though, far from it.
You know what's the more fun part? Most of the games which XSX push higher resolution uses dynamic resolution and typically are less stable. But sure, XSX push higher pixels than ps5 99,9% of times at the same perfomance. If it's not warring use such expression I don't know how call it. Will see if a day XSX could push higher resolution regularly without use DRS at the same performance, I guess.

Last edited:
Framerate Test Stats from VG Tech
Kw13pxX.jpg
Here I am talking about the 120hz mode. Slighty better framerate average on PS5 but without screen-tearing it means the advantage for PS5 is actually (much) bigger than this. When one only has screen-tearing the stat to use (to compare both performance) is this one:

This is percentage of non-dropped frames that are perfectly rendered without screen-tearing
PS5 8.33ms 98.78%
XSX 8.33ms 91.9%

It shows a very different picture than framerate average alone, right? Again, VGTech is showing all the stats and the real divide between both versions.

Also XSX has some bigger drops (frame-time of 41ms and 50ms), while PS5 hasn't (max is 25ms). Those bigger drops on XSX won't be hidden by VRR.

Last edited:

Rivet

Nice to see the PS5 pulling ahead once again. It reminds us a more innovative architecture usually beats more standard machines focused on raw power.

Then again, the game is still a bit ugly, so there's no excuse for all those torn frames and framerate drops on Series X.

Last edited:

Danknugz

After playing the Beta, this is another year I'm skipping Call of Duty. Stale and Uninspiring.

Halo and Battlefield 2042 are the way to go this Holiday season.
i literally haven't played cod since the one before ghosts. actually my friend somehow convinced me to get the one last fall and im still pissed wasted 60$ on it. barely played it, yawn fest

Last edited:

BigLee74

i literally haven't played cod since the one before ghosts. actually my friend somehow convinced me to get the one last fall and im still pissed wasted 60$ on it. barely played it, yawn fest

So you ‘literally’ havent played cod since the one before Ghosts, except for last one?

😂

Top Bottom