• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - PS5 vs PS4 Pro vs PS4 - Beta First Look!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary

- PS5: Dynamic 2160p with drops in horizontal resolution to 1920x2160
- PS4 Pro: Dynamic 1536p with horizontal drops to 1365x1536p
- Base PS4: Dynamic 1080p with horizontal drops to 960x1080p

- PS4 Pro runs with base PS4 settings at higher resolution, no further improvements.
- PS5 has higher quality textures, shadows, AO and SSR
- Otherwise most world detail is identical
- PS4 and Pro have notable popin, PS5 has popin but it is less distracting comparatively

- PS5 has locked 60FPS in the market level which can cause drops on Pro and PS4
- PS5 has exclusive 120hz mode with drops to 1536p. DF needed to change system settings to performance and delete their save profile for it to work
- PS4 Pro locks to 60 FPS "95% of the time" with some drops in the long overview locations in market, can drop to mid 50s. Further drops to sub 50 in the player selection but it doesn't impact gameplay
- Base PS4 drops to mid 40's in similar areas and low 40s in spawn points

- PS5 loads in 7 seconds, PS4 Pro in 12 and base PS4 in 13

- As this is a beta, DF expects the final game to perform good all around

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The pop in is so distracting on ps5 I can't imagine how bad it mist be on ps4 pro/ ps4.

Need the PC version this weekend to see if cranking the settings removes the issue.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not gonna lie, the game looks like absolute trash. Low res character models, pop ins EVERYwhere, low res textures. Im shocked becausew MW2019 looked incredible.

Game plays amazing though.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
This must be the most underwhelming generation to date, right? RIGHT?
This happens every generation and people conveniently forget cross-gen periods have always been a thing.

In a year where we got Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and Bloodborne, we also got this:

aWBI6cr.jpg

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Looks pretty cool to me. The perfomance it self looks solid, even for the base PS4 when there are visible dips on some areas.

100%. I'm shocked how small the improvements to graphical fidelity are in many games. Sony and MS went with conservative specs. I would've preferred a slower SSD/Io if it meant getting a better GPU.

People still hoping the when things become current gen only that the systems "true power" will be utilized but if they were so powerful we'd be seeing cross gen games get brute forced to higher settings than this.

This happens every generation and people conveniently forget cross-gen periods have always been a thing.

aWBI6cr.jpg
Yea, every generation around the 2 year mark people talk about why there not many next gen games. its been 2 years and less for most developers with the dev kits...theyre coming tho.

AGRacing

Gold Member
100%. I'm shocked how small the improvements to graphical fidelity are in many games. Sony and MS went with conservative specs. I would've preferred a slower SSD/Io if it meant getting a better GPU.

People still hoping the when things become current gen only that the systems "true power" will be utilized but if they were so powerful we'd be seeing cross gen games get brute forced to higher settings than this.
We are coming up on the 3rd holiday season of these new consoles. We've got PC hardware coming this same holiday that is going to make these systems further away from the cutting edge. And this entire time has been wasted on the "cross-gen period".... with very few exceptions.... flight simulator , and some Sony 1st party....

And what can we say about it? They've all been selling like crazy. This is what it is now. Sad for someone like me who enjoyed the whole experience of what buying a new console USED to be... totally normal for those who didn't experience that or never cared to in the first place.

For me.. the REAL "next generation" feeling may come in the form of PSVR2. I hope.

EDMIX

I still can’t see anyone in this fuckin beta. Guess i’ll stick to CW.
cw-logo.gif

That being said, I'm not shocked that its basically a last gen game with a next gen "version". It looks good on those systems, but I'm surprised how well the PS4 Pro holds up, looks like we are not near the "next gen only" COD phase I guess.

Fbh

Just tried the beta for a bit.
First time I've played COD in years and the visuals were really underwhelming on Ps5 IMO. It looks like same old COD in higher res.

Notorious pop in, some weird shadows, unimpressive textures.

If you told me this was some 2018 PS4 COD running in higher res I'd belive it

EDMIX

Just tried the beta for a bit.
First time I've played COD in years and the visuals were really underwhelming on Ps5 IMO. It looks like same old COD in higher res.

Notorious pop in, some weird shadows, unimpressive textures.

If you told me this was some 2018 PS4 COD running in higher res I'd belive it
yea, seeing this side by side its clear this isn't even in the remaster territory lol

I don't play the IP anymore and don't see me reviving those glory days of COD4.....1 day lol I might just buy it used later the next year or wait until I come across it in my business as when buying bulk pallet returns, I tend to get tons of copies of Call Of Duty lol That, Fifa, AC titles and Madden are the norms. I guess a few buy COD for the story or a few weeks of MP and sell it, return it etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

aWBI6cr.jpg
Absolutely ridiculous post. There have been zero next Gen only games of that caliber released this year.

Mgsv was an aberration that year. This year it’s the norm.

Why do these new call of duty games look so freaking bland compared to the older ones? Even in this video when he shows the original MW2 the real one, it looks so much more detailed and punchier than the reboot. The contrast, the colors, the detail density, everything about it looks so much more appealing than the washed out super clean and boring look of the new one. It's not a console spec thing, the original is a freaking 360 game for god sakes. It's a soulless game devs thing.

Three

But you have 120fps! Didn't we gamers always want high fps?

This isn't a spec issue it's a dev issue where instead of doing cool new things with the higher spec they target all the cross gen and low spec next gen devices possible and just up res and fps on higher spec devices like XSX/PS5/PC.

Mephisto40

Improvements in graphical fidelity mean more detail, which the old consoles can't handle, and when the game has to play identical on all systems, that becomes a problem

If you look at some of the next gen exclusive titles released, it's pretty clear the PS5 and Series X are capable of much more than what you are seeing in the likes of call of duty

Last edited:
Guess its basically a map and skin pack..... Which isnt bad perse, but a bit of a let down.

Allthough Mw2019 still looks good on the ps4 Pro. Ah well, me and my son will be marathoning the beta this weekend.
Little bastard had 22 kills in his first match last monday....

I've gotten in on each new gen since the N64 in '96. I've owned a PS5 since Jan 2021 and...yeah, this is the most underwhelming

EDIT: I played The Order 1886 a month ago, and that game could've come out today. Where is the progress?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This is true. Thats why I was always team 14 tflops. 10-12 tflops consoles that are heavily bottlenecked by VRAM bandwidth that has to be shared between CPU and GPUs were never going to be enough to brute force anything. Thats why TLOU cant even hit native 4k 40 fps on a consistent basis. It's why HFW's 40 fps patch is using 4kcb rendering instead of native 4k it uses in the 30 fps mode. The GPU simply isnt powerful enough and even if it is, it is bottlenecked by something else in the system that did not get an adequate upgrade.

I like that MS went with a higher tflops count and 560 GBps of VRAM bandwidth but wtf did they do in the backend that holds back this console in so many different games? So much so that it basically operates like a 10 tflops PS5 in most games. The console performs according to its specs in some games, but its simply not consistent and that is a big fuck up from whoever designed that console.

I get that consoles have a tight budget and sacrifices have to be made but 448 GBps of vram bandwidth is simply not enough. 36 CUs is simply not enough. And whatever the hell MS did with the split ram and extra CU/low clock setup is not enough. Its partly why I went ahead and upgraded my PC right at the start of the gen when I used to wait until the tail end to upgrade before.

This is true. Thats why I was always team 14 tflops. 10-12 tflops consoles that are heavily bottlenecked by VRAM bandwidth that has to be shared between CPU and GPUs were never going to be enough to brute force anything. Thats why TLOU cant even hit native 4k 40 fps on a consistent basis. It's why HFW's 40 fps patch is using 4kcb rendering instead of native 4k it uses in the 30 fps mode. The GPU simply isnt powerful enough and even if it is, it is bottlenecked by something else in the system that did not get an adequate upgrade.

I like that MS went with a higher tflops count and 560 GBps of VRAM bandwidth but wtf did they do in the backend that holds back this console in so many different games? So much so that it basically operates like a 10 tflops PS5 in most games. The console performs according to its specs in some games, but its simply not consistent and that is a big fuck up from whoever designed that console.

I get that consoles have a tight budget and sacrifices have to be made but 448 GBps of vram bandwidth is simply not enough. 36 CUs is simply not enough. And whatever the hell MS did with the split ram and extra CU/low clock setup is not enough. Its partly why I went ahead and upgraded my PC right at the start of the gen when I used to wait until the tail end to upgrade before.
It’s the fact that they went with zen 2 over zen 3

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm shocked there's so much pop in on ps5. On 6 v 6 maps, I really thought they could crank the settings up.

I hope PC has the ability to crank the settings so high that its eradicated.

3liteDragon

I'm shocked there's so much pop in on ps5. On 6 v 6 maps, I really thought they could crank the settings up.

Typical beta stuff, the museum map they added today has pop-in on the paintings. There's even pop-in with the lighting at times, can be distracting. It'll be fixed before launch hopefully.

Banned

apparently on PC the draw distance is actually lower? that's what I read at least.

this all might change for the full version

aWBI6cr.jpg
Increasingly blurry guy on a horse is the GOAT though. Loved how at the end he just blurred into nothingness. Stunning and brave storytelling.

MadPanda

Banned

Conservative specs? Hypothetically, let's say we replace ssds with hdds. How would you improve the rest with what was available in 2018/19 in the $500 bracket?

skit_data

Played the Beta on a computer with a 3070Ti and it still looks and plays like CoD from 10 years ago. Fun for an hour but then I’m afraid it’s not my cup of tea anymore.

Stuart360

DF is a circus and full of clowns.

At this point I can't believe how bad this old ass engine is.
Its still the Quake 3 engine at its core. Heavily modified obviously but still.
They have talked about this before, they are scared stiff of losing that COD 'feel', the way COD plays, thats why they wont change engine.
Its like how the Build engine was so good for FPS games and the gunplay always felt so good.

MadPanda

Banned
They went zen 2 over zen 3 so I’d do that
Wasn't available early enough when they developed consoles. They need enough time to test and produce it and that wasn't available with Zen 3. Regardless, that wouldn't change much to the final product performance.

Top Bottom