• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Assetto Corsa Competizione Upgraded For PS5 and Xbox Series X/S - Full Analysis

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Welp.

The loading times on PS5 are into the unacceptable range.
It should be below 4s no matter what excuse you try to made up.

GT7 loads tracks below 2s with way better assets.
I was not expecting to be impressed anymore with loading in PS5 games.

GT7 entered the chat...lol. And I was already impressed with Forbidden West.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, dont know why you missed that mid to low 50s is the most common fps during stressful situations in the OP.

I added the full article to fill in anything I missed while taking notes and watching the video. Factually, the game does drop into the 40s on XSX during game play. Yes, 50s is most common.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
They want to push image clarity, that's why the lower bound on Xbox One X is much higher than PS5. Even PS4 Pro lower bound is higher and that doesn't have VRR, so it's obviously just developer choice.

Riky, you're venturing off into foolishness territory.

1. Last gen consoles ran at 30fps with less vfx.
2. The lower bound for PS5 was an extreme outlier that would be difficult to replicate.
3. IQ will NEVER be prioritized over performance in a racing sim.

Another one to the trend.
This years is being a good year for PS5 multiplats.

That said... it is just me or DRS doesn't work that well on Series consoles? Well it should drop the resolution if the framerate is not stable but it keeps the high resolution and drop the framerate... it is not the first game to have this behavior.
You call this another one. Game looks like an optimised mess like Dying light 2. Doing victory run over this? Lol

Lysandros

The thing is, how does a conversation like this go?

Sir, PS5 is locked 60, but Xbox is dropping to 40.
Ship it
But sir, why don’t we just spend 2 minutes in the Xbox ini file to adjust the resolution
Nah, F those green rats, ship it

🤔

Or, they played with the ini file, didn’t claw back the performance and gave up.
My personal candiates are: 1.VRR 2. Linear scaling being less effective on XSX for some reason 3. Some sort of a 'soft mandate/preference' by Microsoft related to PR influencing developer decisions.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I added the full article to fill in anything I missed while taking notes and watching the video. Factually, the game does drop into the 40s on XSX during game play. Yes, 50s is most common.

No worries, but its a pretty important piece of info. Makes the xsx look worse then it is weather that was your intention or not.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
the game seems to be very unrefined.

strangely lower shadow settings on Series X,
lower resolution on PS5,
worse framerate on Series X,
slower loading on PS5

none of that makes any sense really. why is the resolution higher on average on Xbox when the framerate clearly suffers? why are shadow settings different? why does the PS5 load slower?

you could argue the PS5 loads slower because the consoles only use the CPU to decompress, and the Series X has a faster CPU... but that wouldn't explain the Series S loading faster as well with it slower clocks... weird

Resolution is the same....

It was the lowest found, but not seen other then one spot.

DJ12

They want to push image clarity, that's why the lower bound on Xbox One X is much higher than PS5. Even PS4 Pro lower bound is higher and that doesn't have VRR, so it's obviously just developer choice.
I would wait for better analysis, no idea who this Oliver guy is. Hopefully vgtech do a video on it.

Shmunter

I personal candiates are: 1.VRR 2. Linear scaling being less effective on XSX for some reason 3. Some sort of a 'soft mandate/preference' by Microsoft related to PR influencing developer decisions.
I can’t imagine so many devs would be leaning on the VRR crutch and not bother optimising. I think VRR is just a happy coincidence in a system that needs it.

Can’t be a PR thing unless ms PR department are complete idiots as this is obviously doing the opposite. They spent a great deal of effort buttering up DF early in the gen, so they should know what’s what.

It is the system memory, I’m almost certain off it. The GPU is prioritising the fast ram and other processes are being essentially starved. More handcrafted approaches are needed here, and not all devs have the skill, time, or budget to worry about it.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'd take his counts with a grain of salt.

PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1536x864.
Xbox One S renders at a native resolution of 1280x720.
It’s not a matter of taking it with a grain of salt. The resolution is dynamic and will give variances depending on what frame you count from. DF, NXG, VGTech might all have different counts sometimes because the game is very dynamic.

Riky

$MSFT
Riky, you're venturing off into foolishness territory.

1. Last gen consoles ran at 30fps with less vfx.
2. The lower bound for PS5 was an extreme outlier that would be difficult to replicate.
3. IQ will NEVER be prioritized over performance in a racing sim.

Last gen versions often went higher than 30fps, PS4 up to 40fps.
All lower bounds are outliers.
The developer could have had Xbox One X at 1080p and pushed framerate if that was the case, they didn't.

GHG

Gold Member
That’s a real cockpit by the way, real steering wheel and hands, monitor behind it. Filmed with a helmet cam.

Game doesn’t look like this.

But it does. He's got it all set up in a very convincing way but when maxed out on PC it's still the best looking driving sim out there on any platform when in gameplay scenarios.

This is a video on his setup so you can see what it rendered vs what is real:

assurdum

Banned
You "forgot" to mention that XSX pushes 25+% higher resolutions. And that the game loads slower on PS5.
You also "forgot" 25% of higher resolution in some scenario doesn't means it uses 25% of more pixels constantly..

Anyway it's nice to see DF change again their mindset about "we not count anymore native pixels with DRS because not worthy " and curiously it doesn't applies (coincidentally) when a game runs worse on XSX.

Last edited:

Shmunter

But it does. He's got it all set up in a very convincing way but when maxed out on PC it's still the best looking driving sim out there on any platform when in gameplay scenarios.

This is a video on his setup so you can see what it rendered vs what is real:

Sorry, I don’t get it? It’s offscreen footage, and essentially mixed reality on that vid. It completely changes the presentation. Any racing game shown like this will not look like it’s raw self.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I can’t imagine so many devs would be leaning on the VRR crutch and not bother optimising. I think VRR is just a happy coincidence in a system that needs it.

Can’t be a PR thing unless ms PR department are complete idiots as this is obviously doing the opposite. They spent a great deal of effort buttering up DF early in the gen, so they should know what’s what.

It is the system memory, I’m almost certain off it. The GPU is prioritising the fast ram and other processes are being essentially starved. More handcrafted approaches are needed here, and not all devs have the skill, time, or budget to worry about it.
So you are seeing the XSX RAM setup as the sole hardware reason that prevents effective linear scaling contary to PS5, is that correct?

Shmunter

So you are seeing the XSX RAM setup as the sole hardware reason that prevents effective linear scaling contary to PS5, is that correct?
Yes, nothing else stands out - everything else in the hardware is conventional apart from the ram configuration.

I do believe it effects the scaling. The GPU is overwhelming the bandwidth at the cost of other things, hence resolution can be higher. Lowering it doesn’t gain more performance due to bottlenecking elsewhere.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Sorry, I don’t get it? It’s offscreen footage, and essentially mixed reality on that vid. It completely changes the presentation. Any racing game shown like this will not look like it’s raw self.

I play the game myself and yes, graphically it looks every bit as good as shown in that video.

This is direct feed gameplay with a similar reshade to what he'll be using:

Last edited:

Shmunter

I play the game myself and yes, graphically it looks every bit as good as shown in that video.

The game looks great, but I’ll never understand the comparison between the two videos. They look completely different. Sorry.

Cherrypepsi

the color adjustments make it look like it's been captured by a real camera, blown out sky etc. that's why it seems so realistic too our eyes.

it is impressive nonetheless

Reactions: GHG

Lysandros

Yes, nothing else stands out - everything else in the hardware is conventional apart from the ram configuration.
It can very well be then, makes sense. I'll still wait for PS5 VRR release to see if there is change in resolution/FPS ratios to dismiss the role of VRR safely.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It can very well be then, makes sense. I'll still wait for PS5 VRR release to see if there is change in resolution/FPS ratios to dismiss the role of VRR safely.

VRR won't change the resolution metrics set by developers. The DRS drops in this game, for example, will still be the same even with VRR.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I agree, 1152p is lower than PS4 Pro and far lower than Xbox One X, unacceptable.
Aren't those versions running at 30fps vs the 60 of the PS5/XSeries consoles?

Your constant twisting of facts to try and prop up an Xbox positive narrative is tiresome and contributes negatively to this board in a very noticeable fashion.

Edit: Riky Riky I see you responded to this post with the "empathy" tag. I don't think you understand what that word means. I'm pretty sure I know what you think it means, but no. One quick definition is "The ability to understand and share the feelings of another." So you either don't know what you're talking about, or you also think your behavior on this board is ridiculous.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Your constant twisting of facts to try and prop up an Xbox positive narrative is tiresome and contributes negatively to this board in a very noticeable fashion.
Wait until PS5 gets VRR…
Classic Film Smiling GIF

Shmunter

I hate to raise such things, but the constant promotion of series S is very odd. Almost like a marketing campaign, I just can’t get past a core gamer push such hardware on a core forum. And never, not even once critical of MS. 2 + 2 = 5 🤔

Anyway….

Last edited:
That said... it is just me or DRS doesn't work that well on Series consoles? Well it should drop the resolution if the framerate is not stable but it keeps the high resolution and drop the framerate... it is not the first game to have this behavior.

This is actually something that I wanted to hear a clear answer about.
The Sexual Brother's OS controls the aggressiveness of the DRS used but the games, or this is something that it's controlled only by the game? It's the developers that are making this choice, allowing the Sexual Brothers to keep resolution and dropping framerate trusting the presence of VRR?
If they're doing this they're doing it wrong, because in cases like this VRR can't save fluidity all the time.

Nope. He says during rain Xbox is around 2016p while PS5 is around 1800p.

Rewatched that bit because I hadn't watched in the best conditions first time and it's true, sorry.
I only remembered he commenting latter that I was hard to see any difference in sharpness, but the SeX uses indeed a higher average resolution (specially during rain, it seems) but at what coast?
Again, how is to blame for this?
I understand allowing the framerate to drop a bit because of VRR, but often the console drops too much. Would this some behind the doors Microsoft policy/recommendation?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
yeah, watched the video now. There is no excuse or glossing over this. PS5 is absolutely dominating here. That framerate is tanking on the xbox. I have no idea what the cause is but dang! rough stuff.

Dropping below 60 on either console why? This game is old as balls!

Drops to the 40s in game play. DF calls this "problematic". VRR is only going to do so much. Dev would have been better off lowering the rez on XSX.

Not offering a lower visual for locked 60 is a joke. Not sure what dev is playing at tbh.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Edit: Riky Riky I see you responded to this post with the "empathy" tag. I don't think you understand what that word means. I'm pretty sure I know what you think it means, but no. One quick definition is "The ability to understand and share the feelings of another." So you either don't know what you're talking about, or you also think your behavior on this board is ridiculous.

The only negative aspect is people that can't follow the conversation or don't want to like you. I'm responding to people who are saying developers are pushing resolution as framerate doesn't matter due to VRR. The proof is the last gen versions running at higher base resolutions than a PS5 but having performance fluctuate between 30 and 40fps shows that isn't the case as PS4 Pro doesn't even support VRR and never will. My empathy is for your lack of understanding.

GHG

Gold Member
I understand allowing the framerate to drop a bit because of VRR, but often the console drops too much. Would this some behind the doors Microsoft policy/recommendation?

Well if someone is actually pushing this (which even I'm not cynical to believe) then it would be pretty stupid considering most people won't have a VRR 4k TV.

And if they are trying to push sone "resolution superiority/priority" clause then it's shortsighted to do so without also offering a lower resolution locked framerate mode for those who don't want to have to endure janky framerates. That way you are at least offering people a choice and those with VRR can still get their lower framerate but higher resolution experience if they please.

Sega Orphan

Banned
After playing Forza for so long I tried both this and Project Cars and neither hold a candel to it. They handle like shit and the graphics suck. I assume it's the same going from GT to these as well.
I won't even bother trying it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
After playing Forza for so long I tried both this and Project Cars and neither hold a candel to it. They handle like shit and the graphics suck. I assume it's the same going from GT to these as well.
I won't even bother trying it.

To be fair/clear.

This is not a new game, this is a 2020 game getting a next-gen patch.

Horizon 5 and GT7 are much more recent, and better optimized for their respective hardware.

assurdum

Banned
The only negative aspect is people that can't follow the conversation or don't want to like you. I'm responding to people who are saying developers are pushing resolution as framerate doesn't matter due to VRR. The proof is the last gen versions running at higher base resolutions than a PS5 but having performance fluctuate between 30 and 40fps shows that isn't the case as PS4 Pro doesn't even support VRR and never will. My empathy is for your lack of understanding.
Shocking news. Many if not most of the games with 60 FPS mode hit a lower resolution dynamically than the pro/one X version at 30 FPS. This prove again what kind of buffoon you are when we talking about ps5 performance on multiplat. My empathy goes to the people who tries to have a serious conversation with you in this matter because you really deserve all the shit you get it from post like the previous quoted.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Digital Foundries still have lot of struggle to pronounce the name of this game correctly.

Tom was like "Competsgfs.. zione", this guys say "Compezione“.

Last edited:
Top Bottom