• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs speak: How PS5 console’s ultra-high speed SSD and Tempest 3D AudioTech engine will enhance the future of gaming

Fake

With PlayStation 5, our goal is to put the player at the heart of the gaming experience. From the DualSense wireless controller’s adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, to the ultra-high speed SSD, to the immersion felt with Tempest 3D AudioTech engine, we want players to lose themselves in every PS5 game.

Last edited:

onQ123

Beyond near-instant loading and fast-travel, the SSD and its speed allow us to more quickly load and display more detailed assets. This should lead to the city looking better than ever, and this is just the beginning for our team unlocking those possibilities. It’s a fundamental change that we can’t wait to take more advantage of in the years to come.”— Brian Horton // Creative Director, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

As developers [of Demon’s Souls], we are already changing the way we think about the SSD. We see it not just as storage but also memory, utilizing the speed of the SSD to load data at blistering speeds, bringing you straight back into the action to avenge your many deaths.”— Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio

I remember someone saying these words that someone was me

Last edited:

reforen

How can Demon Souls will implement the SSD speed to the game? Ratchet and Clank besides looking great also looks like a tech demo of the SSD capabilities, the amount of particles, texture quality and the warping gameplay show how that tech is working

The SSDs in the next gen consoles are a blessing . So many games (like Control and FF7REMAKE) these days have drastic problems when it comes to displaying detailed and varied textures due to the streaming system that just cannot keep up.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The bottleneck for asset detail will be game sizes.

Lack of need to duplicate assets + compression will be "Free" ways of increasing asset detail.. everything after that will start to balloon the size of games and they'll have to be careful.

But that's a much nicer problem to have than needing to fret constantly over ancient HDDs and design crazy caching systems.

Humdinger

It's encouraging to hear these things about adaptive triggers, but I think a lot of people (including me) will actually have to experience them before we make up our minds about how much they add to the experience.

Not to be too cynical, but I've heard similar prognostications about all sorts of new features/tech, which in the end turned out to be not much of anything. The touchpad and lightbar on the PS4, for instance. They were hardly ever utilized to any significant effect.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
Advert is smart, more than just better graphics ...... tactile feedback as well as audio.

Easier to sell than just that it looks better.

RaySoft

A bit further into the next generation I’m expecting we’ll start seeing developers make more use of the not-so-obvious benefits of the SSD. This is what excites me the most! (...)"
This right there is what I'm thinking as well. When all the "speed craze" has died down, that i/o will open up new possibilities that we can't even think of yet. Can't wait for what they come up with.

Even if they already have some cool iimplementations for their next game, they would'nt talk about it publically at this early point anyways. (company secrets)

Boglin

Just a reminder that rendering 10 million triangles of 1 asset duplicated 100 times on screen takes the same GPU power as 10 million triangles of 100 unique assets with no duplicates but the latter will almost certainly be more visually appealing.

Just remember that the GPU still needs to process everything before being it can be displayed.
Even current GPUs ( ps4 pro and OneX) can pull high resolution assets and dense geometry, but they are limited by bandwidth and memory.
But, I agree that GPUs still need to render physically accurate shaders, lights shadows, particles and so on.

SSD will ensure full utilization of the GPUs.

Allandor

Man, it is the playstation blog.
Everything there is PR. There are no "real" dev interview just some quotes that sound good in a PR post.
Every developer that works with the next gen consoles is under NDA. They can't say anything about the consoles if sony/ms didn't allow it (more or less each sentence).

We will only get "almost" honest developer interviews when the NDA is lifted. But even than, developers will always try to be diplomatic because they do not want to put themselves in a bad light for future interactions with sony/ms

Last edited:

Kenpachii

U mean more details in the screen when u got more memory, more cpu power and more gpu power?

FrighteningJealousAlbatross-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

bargeparty

Realistically speaking how will multiplat's use Tempest? Cause I'm eyeing a 3080 and just looking to use PS5 for exclusives, but if audio is way better on PS5 that will hurt a bit.

A.Romero

I'm hungry. I think i'm gonna order a pizza with some secret sauce and listen to some music with my surround sound setup (9 speakers and 2 subwoofers).

If your setup is Atmos it does make a difference how many speakers you got and where they are located.

Is it a good deal to spend that much for such a small difference? That's another discussion.

turtlepowa

Banned
If your setup is Atmos it does make a difference how many speakers you got and where they are located.

Is it a good deal to spend that much for such a small difference? That's another discussion.
I think that joke was too difficult to get for most people, but if i explain it, i get a 2 weeks ban.

The Marketing team should be ashamed, 2 months before release, we don’t know what the UI looks like, the launch games, what features it has, what the new share button does, all the unconfirmed features for this console, the supposed teardown video of the console we are meant to have, the release date, the preorder window, the price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How can Demon Souls will implement the SSD speed to the game? Ratchet and Clank besides looking great also looks like a tech demo of the SSD capabilities, the amount of particles, texture quality and the warping gameplay show how that tech is working

It works in all games, automatically stream in and out assets depending on the scene/sight. So even slow games can have extra room for higher quality assets and effects.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Now PC gamers have changed their mind after the RTX 3000 series reveal and they agree that fast SSD and I/O is a game changer, only one crowd seem to be lagging behind.

I'm seeing a lot of this on the forum in the past couple of hours.

Stop grouping PC gamers with the circle jerk you and ethomaz seems to be perpetually involved in. Its childish as fuck the way you guys try to bring Playstation/SSD/IO into every discussion thread in this forum.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of this on the forum in the past couple of hours.

Stop grouping PC gamers with the circle jerk you and ethomaz seems to be perpetually involved in. Its childish as fuck the way you guys try to bring Playstation/SSD/IO into every discussion thread in this forum.

It's been childish from the extreme majority of PC Gamers to make fool of themselves and downplay the SSD and I/O speeds and calling Epic Games shills and liars. So yeah, that's the sour truth, deal with it, check the internet and search if you were under a rock in the past few months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom