• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs speak: How PS5 console’s ultra-high speed SSD and Tempest 3D AudioTech engine will enhance the future of gaming

DavidGzz

How can Demon Souls will implement the SSD speed to the game? Ratchet and Clank besides looking great also looks like a tech demo of the SSD capabilities, the amount of particles, texture quality and the warping gameplay show how that tech is working

Each Archstone could have a portal that you can just run into with zero loading as one example.

Now PC gamers have changed their mind after the RTX 3000 series reveal and they agree that fast SSD and I/O is a game changer, only one crowd seem to be lagging behind.
zqN.gif

oops I found the I/O

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just remember that the GPU still needs to process everything before it can be displayed.

Edit: Fixed sentence. Was broken english lol.

Just remember, GPUs of current gen were also being starved by data constraints/bottlenecks in the I/O.

Out of the mouths of Insomniac themselves (at least year's GDC panel) when they said Spider-Man could have looked much better, but they had to cap the streaming of assets from the HDD to a measly 20MB/s, yes that's only 20MB/s due to people being able to swap in garbage tier slogs for a drive.

Yes, it's from Insomniac GDC talk about the Spider-man technical postmortem. They talk about streaming the low-quality MIPS first and the MIPS0 load fast enough that they load before you turn and see the shops. I guess that's why Cerny chose to show Spider-man for the SSD demonstration, it's already built really well for streaming:

(I don't have the exact time-stamp but the whole talk is extremely interesting :))
They have the initial 20MB of the tile streaming in before you reach it but when you enter the tile, they are still streaming 12MB per second of data around you. Obviously it's cruder than what the PS5 and XSX can do and also results in some pop-in, but the idea is similar, having the low-quality assets in memory while the MIPS0 load and if the fail to load in time, no big deal, you get a tiny pop in for a fraction of a second.

edit:
I've timestamped the video.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
It's been childish from the extreme majority of PC Gamers to make fool of themselves and downplay the SSD and I/O speeds and calling Epic Games shills and liars. So yeah, that's the sour truth, deal with it, check the internet and search if you were under a rock in the past few months.
Its a concern when you think that PC gamers saying that a PC will always have better hardware means PS5 is shit and the SSD I/O on it doesn't matter.

You are so engrossed in defending your plastic box (and Epic games who can be absolute cunts) that you can't have a proper discussion without taking jabs at plastic boxes that you don't have an unnatural attachment to.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Its a concern when you think that PC gamers saying that a PC will always have better hardware means PS5 is shit and the SSD I/O on it doesn't matter.

You are so engrossed in defending your plastic box (and Epic games who can be absolute cunts) that you can't have a proper discussion without taking jabs at plastic boxes that you don't have an unnatural attachment to.

Save your words for yourself, you know I'm right but you're doing this elusive, dramatic post to sound like a smart one, when you know you've jumped in a muddy situations. But don't worry, won't reply to you any further.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So some first party devs praise the ps5, and then some third party devs are excited about having an ssd and 3D audio, neither of which are exclusive to the PS5. Great, I guess?

The usual suspects doing their part for Sony PR as usual.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I was using my SSD to keep the lid of my laptop open, who knew it could load shit faster in a game too! Thanks!

jaysius

Banned
It's a good thing that both machines have such an anemic launch library PS5 with under 1TB and Xbox Series X with 1TB with who knows how much hogged by overhead, you won't have much space by the time you get a few games on there.

Also, oh good a cool sizzle reel! Oh wait this thing launches in NOVEMBER? :| RUH OH!

Both parties are being so secretive here. I bet one is waiting for the other to delay the launch.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm not sold on the haptic triggers yet (I'll have to feel to believe), but I do like the idea of 3-D audio. If I can get a facsimile of surround sound by using a pair of headphones, rather than buying and setting up a surround sound system, that would be great.

Last edited:
So some first party devs praise the ps5, and then some third party devs are excited about having an ssd and 3D audio, neither of which are exclusive to the PS5. Great, I guess?

The usual suspects doing their part for Sony PR as usual.
I was using my SSD to keep the lid of my laptop open, who knew it could load shit faster in a game too! Thanks!

you only need a PS5 to feel less insecurity. Trust me.

do it

tenor.gif

Last edited:
I want our future Ps5 buyers and Gen4 SSD RTX IO comrades to come in here and read about the benefits of super fast IO that we will experience in the near future.

Xbox Series X owners need not worry, maybe this will become relevant to you in the mid gen refresh.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
you only need a PS5 to feel less insecurity. Trust me.

do it

tenor.gif

I’ll get one at some point. Maybe not at launch but not like I’ll be able to play Spider man 2 / God of War on my PC. They won’t be out for a while so got time.

Ascend

Just remember, GPUs of current gen were also being starved by data constraints/bottlenecks in the I/O.

Out of the mouths of Insomniac themselves (at least year's GDC panel) when they said Spider-Man could have looked much better, but they had to cap the streaming of assets from the HDD to a measly 20MB/s, yes that's only 20MB/s due to people being able to swap in garbage tier slogs for a drive.
That's fair enough. But it's better for everyone if expectations remain a bit in check. We have enough raging on these forums as it is.

Kumomeme

on other aspect this is example how to hype your console features. let those developers throw their insight. not by having some head division do all the talking 24 hours per day.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
on other aspect this is example how to hype your console features. let those developers throw their insight. not by having some head division do all the talking 24 hours per day.

It's because on the other side they don't even know what are those games they've shown CGI's of. So they'll be talking about imagination instead of near-complete, tested games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom