• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

A Game to surpass DMC3?

It looks good. Sad to hear that the Lady and Trish are shit-tier in this one. Then give them their own DLCs FFS. Wanna play as some ladies that kick demon ass!

Belmonte

Saw a good video of DMCV hidden features. Damn, lots of good stuff! Raised eyebrows for me! There are some spoilers in this video so I recommend seeing after finishing the game.

Shifty

Bloody Palace is out, on Steam at least.
In a rare bit of useful, actual games news on this April Fools' Day, Capcom has added Bloody Palace mode to Devil May Cry 5. In case you were worried Capcom was somehow staging a double-bluff April Fools' gag and it wasn't really in the game yet, PC Gamer's Tom Senior is actually playing it in the office right now, so it's real.
Bloody Palace is Devil May Cry 5's 'endgame', as it were, a 101-floor combat challenge designed to push players to their limits—it's been a staple of the series since Devil May Cry 2, and will likely keep the most hardcore of the series' audience occupied for years to come. You can choose your preferred character of Dante, Nero or V before taking on Bloody Palace, and then see if your fingers are up to the task of taking on that many enemies.

Source - PC Gamer

Unsurprisingly, the datamined stuff didn't come to anything. No online, no Vergil, no Ladies' Night DLC, etc.
Also, some bosses (most notably the V-exclusive ones) have been omitted if initial impressions on the Steam forums are to be believed.

It does have a nice new suspend/resume feature though, as well as best time tracking for each floor and nicely polished UI presentation. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Unsurprisingly, the datamined stuff didn't come to anything. No online, no Vergil, no Ladies' Night DLC, etc.
Also, some bosses (most notably the V-exclusive ones) have been omitted if initial impressions on the Steam forums are to be believed.

I think that ladies night will definitely happen. That sort of tease at the end was pretty blatant. But we may end up just having to wait for the PS5 special edition of the game in a couple years, which I'm ok with.

Just glad that the game came out period tbh.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah the suspend feature is really nice.
Taking a little break here.
2LJVZrg.jpg

It's not very hard so far though, I had way more trouble with dmc4 bloody palace.

Shifty

I think that ladies night will definitely happen. That sort of tease at the end was pretty blatant.
Yeah, particularly the fact that it's tied to an achievement described as "Take on a new job from Morrison after the Red Grave City incident". I read that on launch and immediately starting thinking about the idea of post-game content.

But we may end up just having to wait for the PS5 special edition of the game in a couple years, which I'm ok with.
Yep, entirely possible. I'm hoping they break away from that tradition and do a meaty DLC expansion, but DMC is the poster boy for Capcom franchises getting special editions.

Just glad that the game came out period tbh.
Without doubt (y)

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Btw I dunno if it was already like this on console, but it seems this update also fixed/upgraded the alt announcer.
Normally when getting hit she would always yell 'bozo' for me, but now she's varying between 3 or 4 different ones, like 'that's gonna cost ya!'.

TacosNSalsa

So far I am enjoying the hell out of the BP and the ability to practice on any previous level is a great thing (its my first BP so don't know if this is a thing) but the lock on system is making it a chore it locks on to who ever the fuck it wants to lock on to regardless who is standing in front of me . Nero completely turned around to lock on to the enemy standing behind me for some fucking reason instead of the one I was looking at and walking towards ..

Shifty

So far I am enjoying the hell out of the BP and the ability to practice on any previous level is a great thing (its my first BP so don't know if this is a thing) but the lock on system is making it a chore it locks on to who ever the fuck it wants to lock on to regardless who is standing in front of me . Nero completely turned around to lock on to the enemy standing behind me for some fucking reason instead of the one I was looking at and walking towards ..
BP never had practice mode until now. Absolutely inspired addition, because BOY was getting good at the final floors a challenge in 4.

I did find it odd that they dropped the lock-on modes from 4SE. You used to be able to pick between prioritizing closest / in direction of character / in direction of stick. It seems to be some sort of adaptive / contextual fusion of the three now.

Last edited:

Shifty

So it looks like capcom themselves just went ahead and censored it for no reason in the first place?
If I had to guess, I'd say the game was coming in hot since it shipped without Bloody Palace.

It's quite possible that they added the lens flares as a last-minute "we can't afford to have sony waste time arbitrarily failing our cert, or we risk missing the release date" safety measure.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Yo the Bloody Palace unlockable taunts are cool because they permanently change your appearance for a level.

Nero puts on his hoodie and gets evil yellow eyes.
Dante slicks back his hair like Vergil.
V's cane turns into a purple lightsaber.

Keihart

Video of DMC5 Launch Party with some of the devs talking about the game, secrets or just anecdotes about development, it has some spoilers tho.

"I survived DMC5 development hell" it's written above the poster on the thumbnail when the devs are talking.

Last edited:

Labolas

Loving the game so far. Dante is by far the best character in the game. So much freedom with him as a character.

Shifty

I put together a mod to swap in Griffon, Shadow and Nightmare's new themes as battle music, replacing the DMC2 DLC:

Griffon, Shadow and Nightmare Music - DMC5 Nexus

Shocked nobody did this already considering that those tracks are all bangers but get very little screen time in the campaign. Everyone's too busy making Naruto and JoJo texture mods I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(But also not shocked because holy fuck twelve hours of staring at a hex editor, kill me)

DubReno

I put together a mod to swap in Griffon, Shadow and Nightmare's new themes as battle music, replacing the DMC2 DLC:

Griffon, Shadow and Nightmare Music - DMC5 Nexus

Shocked nobody did this already considering that those tracks are all bangers but get very little screen time in the campaign. Everyone's too busy making Naruto and JoJo texture mods I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(But also not shocked because holy fuck twelve hours of staring at a hex editor, kill me)

Good stuff. As for everything being naruto skins I feel like it's in a somewhat better place then RE2 Remake modding. Seems every mod released for that lately has been turning Ada or Claire into giant bouncing titty monster. Guess that's what you should expect from nexus though.

Shifty

Good stuff. As for everything being naruto skins I feel like it's in a somewhat better place then RE2 Remake modding. Seems every mod released for that lately has been turning Ada or Claire into giant bouncing titty monster. Guess that's what you should expect from nexus though.
Very true. Every time I see the RE2 OT get bumped it's inevitably titties of some sort. Or Shaggy from Scooby Doo. I don't even, sometimes...

DMC5 is getting much more wholesome content, like this Cappy mod:

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah no doubt, lucia's theme is the best out of the three by quite a bit IMO; DMC2 just isn't that memorable music wise.
Also, could you maybe upload it to a mega or mediafire or something? I don't remember my nexus login....

Shifty

Yeah no doubt, lucia's theme is the best out of the three by quite a bit IMO; DMC2 just isn't that memorable music wise.
Also, could you maybe upload it to a mega or mediafire or something? I don't remember my nexus login....
Oh yeah, I forgot that the Nexus has gone all walled garden with their downloads :messenger_confused:

Ah well, here you go :messenger_grinning:
Griffon Shadow and Nightmare Music - mega.nz

You'll probably want a copy of Fluffy Manager 5000 to manage the install process as well- makes it easier to swap stuff in without fear of breaking the game.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Thanks a bunch.

I was browsing nexus for some other stuff, and I saw people asking for devil buster mods to replace the buster arm cause it's useless....lol if they only knew.

DubReno

Don't get your hopes up, this IS still Capcom we are talking about, so chances are we'll see something like that in the special edition in a few years.

Sub_Level

Nero's bloody palace wasn't too hard at all. Took me 3 tries since I died on Floors 60 & 90 at first. He's a very powerful character that anyone can play.

Furies remain the toughest normal enemy. Yea there's tons of youtube vids on how to deal with em but its always kind of crapshoot when dealing with more than one. It is what it is.

I'm thinking of buying this. I've never played a DMC title before. Do I need to read or watch anything before getting started? Or it is very accessible to new players?

Fry

I'm thinking of buying this. I've never played a DMC title before. Do I need to read or watch anything before getting started? Or it is very accessible to new players?

There's a nice tutorial at the beginning of the game going through it's gameplay.

And you can see a summary of the History at the main screen.

Dante83

Banned
The game is great, but there some missed opportunities here that could have injected more life into the game like making vergil playable in bloody palace, or if they are more ambitious, make a dlc about vergil and what happened to him between after he was defeated as nelo angelo from the 1st game leading up to DMC 5. It would be more intriguing than just showing what he did briefly in the main story.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd love to see additional characters. Am I wrong to be down about not getting them already? I feel like Capcom is sitting it out until the perfect time to announce DLC or an SE. Otherwise do we have to wait till DMC6 is announced before an SE comes out? It feels like owning the base game without the extra content. It makes sense. It feels like an imperfect game without additional characters. It feels like how DMC3 got released then a superior version of the game came out. Making the vanilla version obsolete. I don't think anyone would say the vanilla version of DMC3 is better than the SE version.

Top Bottom