• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

Kagero

Great game! I like Nero the best. V is a little too slow for my liking and slightly OP. Dante is a little confusing with all the choices in weapons and fight styles. Also, the game is too easy.

RB as lock is no good, changed it to RT, but it feels so unintuitive to switch targets with left stick and lock on with RT. Anyone got a good layout to suggest?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
RB as lock is no good, changed it to RT, but it feels so unintuitive to switch targets with left stick and lock on with RT. Anyone got a good layout to suggest?

I like RB as target. But one tip that goes back to DMC4 is to make Nero's gun one of the 4 shoulder inputs. That way you can comfortably charge it 24/7. Your damage output and style points will go up a decent amount for little effort on your part.

Probably my favorite song in the OST.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Shifty

Probably my favorite song in the OST.

Oh sweet, I was wondering what that track was called. It's a proper banger, I wish they'd allow you to sub it in for the normal battle music like you can with the DLC stuff. That octave shift at 0:51 is :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Nightmare's remixed theme is cracking as well:

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Please keep posting updates about your progress. I read this is one of the hardest platinum trophies ever due to "Hell and Hell" mode being pretty unforgiving (one hit = death) and getting S ranks there is very, very, very hard.

I will try!

Keihart

I'm stuck in what i asume is one of the final fights with Dante, not really sure if i'm doing it right but i'm just using royal guard a lot and trickster on the hardest moves to parry but the last 20 % of health is pretty insane, the boss gets quite agressive with a lot of multi hit moves that if i mess up parrying i risk death :( , get gud i guess. Man i wish i had leveled up the devil trigger bar some more to hold royal guard like a scrub when it gets hard.

Virgil

Last edited:

Shifty

You can just hold down the button for Royal Gaurd? :messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

I'm here trying to time it like a Street Fighter parry...
Perfect guarding will negate all damage and charge the royal gauge more, but is more risky. You can perfect release for a massively damaging dash too.

I just finished up a weaponless run of Mission 11, took ages, but Royalguard is such fun.

Last edited:

Shifty

I'm stuck in what i asume is one of the final fights with Dante, not really sure if i'm doing it right but i'm just using royal guard a lot and trickster on the hardest moves to parry but the last 20 % of health is pretty insane, the boss gets quite agressive with a lot of multi hit moves that if i mess up parrying i risk death :( , get gud i guess. Man i wish i had leveled up the devil trigger bar some more to hold royal guard like a scrub when it gets hard.

Virgil
Keep trying, you'll get there.
Always kill his doppelganger before trying to tackle him in the last phase. It doesn't have much health, so you can chip it down with rockets and other projectiles or just go in and stinger it if you see an opportunity.

Last edited:

Keihart

Keep trying, you'll get there.
Always kill his doppelganger before trying to tackle him in the last phase. It doesn't have much health, so you can chip it down with rockets and other projectiles or just go in and stinger it if you see an opportunity.
Regarding this, i somehow ended up with Virgil and the doppelganger doing the same attack that he does when he gets close to you like asking for some royal guards, so i just royal guarded both of them at the same time then proceeded to combo Virgil 'till death, i like how the game forces you in that last juggle to activate devil trigger to break Virgil's guard in the air.

Finished the game, 15/10 my favorite game from the franchise and genre probably, i have no idea what is Kamiya going to do to get me hype for Bayo 3. This freaking game gives you new toys until the credits roll , unveliabable. The story is simple yet pretty self aware. If this game took 6 years to make i don't mind waiting that much again for something of this quality even if i want it earlier. Hopefully if there is a sequel it is made by the same team Itsuno directed this time. This game feels almost like an accident, like one of those games that don't come around very often. Dare i say...jackpot!

TLDR, Game beaten, i jizzed all over it.

Last edited:

I'm guessing you are playing on Xbox? On the PS4 we can button map at system level (rather than in the game), so I swapped R1 to L1....that would be RB to LB for you. It made the lock on so much better!

If you can button map on Xbox at system level, maybe try that?

NB If you are playing more than one game at a time, remember to switch back!

Keihart

I don't think you are intended to be locking on enemies constantly tho, lock on is more of a touch and release kind of business for directinal inputs and stuff, rarely you'll need to switch targets if you are positioned correctly.

Can I ask for some advice on combos, please?

I seem to be struggling with timing. For example, let's take Nero's combo with the sword, where after a couple of slashes, you smash X and he repeatedly bashes the enemy on the floor with the sword.
The combo says (from memory, I'm not in front of my PC) X X, then X repeatedly.
I can't seem to get the first two taps timed correctly. Can someone advise on the timing between key presses, please?

Thanks!

Keihart

Can I ask for some advice on combos, please?

I seem to be struggling with timing. For example, let's take Nero's combo with the sword, where after a couple of slashes, you smash X and he repeatedly bashes the enemy on the floor with the sword.
The combo says (from memory, I'm not in front of my PC) X X, then X repeatedly.
I can't seem to get the first two taps timed correctly. Can someone advise on the timing between key presses, please?

Thanks!
when you read "then" it means like a mute note. In other words, the first 2 X are spameable, the timing there is just as when you press the button without any timming in mind, the third one is the one you have to wait for, so you do x,x (fast) looking that nero indeed does 2 consecutive strikes and then don't press anything for the same period as you would press the third one, and then press the third one. So...it's like 4 inputs: x, x, nothing, x (then mash x for the finisher)

Last edited:
when you read "then" it means like a mute note. In other words, the first 2 X are spameable, the timing there is just as when you press the button without any timming in mind, the third one is the one you have to wait for, so you do x,x (fast) looking that nero indeed does 2 consecutive strikes and then don't press anything for the same period as you would press the third one, and then press the third one. So...it's like 4 inputs: x, x, nothing, x (then mash x for the finisher)

Right. When you say 'spameable' do you mean I don't have to wait for each move/click to finish the animation, before clicking again? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but man I tried a few mins in the Void yesterday and I am still struggling!

JTCx

After finishing this game this weekend, I had some time to reflect on it. And dam, this game is something special. Its great knowing your favorite beloved franchise is back in all its glory after all these years and having it being presumed 'dead'.
I would like to thank Itsuno and the rest of the team for putting all the work in this game these guys deserve every ounce of success.

This part of the game got me good:

Keihart

Exactly, you don't, there is some buffer to it, pay attention to the animation tho, that is the best indicator. Just worry about Nero doing like 2/3 of his regular x,x,x . The animation is the same until you pause and resume with the delay x at the end. Another way to explain it is that, if you can do the x, x, x wich is like the simplest combo, just cut it at to swings, then wait one press and resume with the third one.
Right. When you say 'spameable' do you mean I don't have to wait for each move/click to finish the animation, before clicking again? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but man I tried a few mins in the Void yesterday and I am still struggling!

JayZ

Neo Member
Can't even say which one is my favorite now. So far it has been " This party getting crazy, LET'S ROCK!" for years!

JayZ

Neo Member
after all these years and having it being presumed 'dead'
precisely. by "dead" you mean that toxic and insane DMC- reload? For Ninja Theory:messenger_fire: I'd pull my devil trigger as Nero unleashes his demonic "FUCK U" form for braking my fan heart with that thrash!:messenger_angry_horns:

Mr Branding

Game is amazeballs. I never doubted Itsuno and his team. Man, after a character action drought this generation, it sure feels great to have this in my hands and style on fools.

Shifty

Game is amazeballs. I never doubted Itsuno and his team. Man, after a character action drought this generation, it sure feels great to have this in my hands and style on fools.
It's so good. Being able to embarrass your enemies has always been one of the best parts of DMC.

I learned you can bury Goliath under one of the towers in his boss fight if you Buster Arm him while downed and chuck him into it. Takes a minute to dig himself out, it's hilarious :messenger_grinning:

It's so good. Being able to embarrass your enemies has always been one of the best parts of DMC.

I learned you can bury Goliath under one of the towers in his boss fight if you Buster Arm him while downed and chuck him into it. Takes a minute to dig himself out, it's hilarious :messenger_grinning:
I just learned you can DT buster the final boss when he's flying and charges at you. :messenger_beaming:

JohannCK

My review of the game

I cleared it before writing that (no spoilers though) and am currently going through it again on Son of Sparda and I have to say that playing as V is an absolute delight.

Sad that we'll probably never see him again. I get that Vergil giving Nero the book might be foreshadowing him coming back, but can't even begin to imagine an excuse they could use for that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you press attack and then wait to press attack again. You can see how he won't go into the next animation. He does a single swipe with his sword. Try practicing by pressing attack button, wait, attack,wait,attack, etc. You could also practice using the Exceed during this practice. It feels good to successfully activate his exceed on most of your attacks. It'll get you focused on charging his sword instead of how many times you press the attack button.

Hotspurr

Banned
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but some data mined info that's been floating around the web:

- Vergil anticipated to be playable in BP
- DLC called "Ladies Night" to feature female heroines to flesh out the story
- Female characters to be playable in BP, Lucia mentioned as well

Take with a gigantic grain of salt.

lifa-cobex

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but some data mined info that's been floating around the web:

Can easily see the top one being real. Move set seems already complete.
Hope for the rest.

blackjon24

While I do have some problems with the game. That ending especially the last 2 missions were 10/10 as a long time fan of the series

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
While I do have some problems with the game. That ending especially the last 2 missions were 10/10 as a long time fan of the series

This game was clearly made for the fans. I desperately hope it does well sales wise so they keep the DMC universe alive. I don't know that we need a DMC 6 soon, but maybe 2-3 expansions and lots of content for bloody palace. Maybe do remakes of 1 and 2 (so 2 can be good) similar to RE2. I still can't believe how well DMCV delivered.

Shifty

The Lucia mention has upgraded my gigantic grain to a full on pillar of salt.

Would love to be wrong though, that all sounds like it'd be great. Like a cross between RE Mercenaries' large roster and Bayo 2's encounter-based online co-op.

This game was clearly made for the fans. I desperately hope it does well sales wise so they keep the DMC universe alive. I don't know that we need a DMC 6 soon, but maybe 2-3 expansions and lots of content for bloody palace. Maybe do remakes of 1 and 2 (so 2 can be good) similar to RE2. I still can't believe how well DMCV delivered.
It really was, and I share the sentiment. I'd love to see them remake 1 with weapon & style switching and iron out some of the stuff that's incongruous with Itsuno's games.

Dunno about 2 though, its relevance is approaching nil after getting no-sold in the History of DMC video. I don't know that I care enough about its story and setting to want a remake unless they just scrap what was there and make something completely new to fill that slot in the timeline.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are playing on Xbox? On the PS4 we can button map at system level (rather than in the game), so I swapped R1 to L1....that would be RB to LB for you. It made the lock on so much better!

If you can button map on Xbox at system level, maybe try that?

NB If you are playing more than one game at a time, remember to switch back!

Playing PC! Xbox controller tho, so I’m customizing it around, I’ll give it a shot on LB, think it’ll me much better there

Regarding this, i somehow ended up with Virgil and the doppelganger doing the same attack that he does when he gets close to you like asking for some royal guards, so i just royal guarded both of them at the same time then proceeded to combo Virgil 'till death, i like how the game forces you in that last juggle to activate devil trigger to break Virgil's guard in the air.

Finished the game, 15/10 my favorite game from the franchise and genre probably, i have no idea what is Kamiya going to do to get me hype for Bayo 3. This freaking game gives you new toys until the credits roll , unveliabable. The story is simple yet pretty self aware. If this game took 6 years to make i don't mind waiting that much again for something of this quality even if i want it earlier. Hopefully if there is a sequel it is made by the same team Itsuno directed this time. This game feels almost like an accident, like one of those games that don't come around very often. Dare i say...jackpot!

TLDR, Game beaten, i jizzed all over it.

Did you get the post credits scene?

Apparently if you skip the credits you skip those scenes. Kind of dumb on capcoms part to be honest.

Keihart

Did you get the post credits scene?

Apparently if you skip the credits you skip those scenes. Kind of dumb on capcoms part to be honest.
As fellow fan of the franchise that has completed every DMC(not counting the reboot obviously) i was waiting for all the post and during credits stuff, it has become a staple.

Last edited:

Shifty

Just beat King Cerberus on DMD. Sweet christ my hands, he's such a tank. Really forced me to learn how to dodge all the moves for each form and focus on my meter management.
This game is great.

Edit: Holy crap. Big spoilery news:

Modders made Vergil playable!

His moveset is somewhat limited and there are some bugs, but whew lad. He even has his DT.
This points to good things for Bloody palace and possible future DLC.

BoJ6nG.gif

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned

Apparently there is a patch for PS4 at this time that added "holy rays" to cover up Trish's bum. Can anyone confirm if nudity is being censored on Xbox one and PC versions?

I can confirm Trish is uncensored on xbox. At least the version I have. This game is incredible btw.

First post! I thinking that the story sucks but who cares because I like the fighting!

I have the PS4 version and I've seen lady naked uncensored twice now. One with white stuff covering her nipples and another of her backside. If it's censored it's so minor that I couldn't even care.

I also don't see why people complained about lady's masculine looks. She's clearly feminine and is naked very often. She's quite sexy and doesn't seem dominant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom