• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for Switch adds ‘Style Change’ system

Mista

Banned

The Switch version of Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition will feature a new “Style Change” system, Capcom announced.

Style Change is one of multiple new features available in the Switch version of the game. As previously teased, more information will be announced on January 30 and February 13.

Here are the details on Style Change, via Capcom:
New Feature #1: Style Change

Devil May Cry 3 was the first in the series to introduce the Style System, allowing you to pick between six different styles (four to start, and two unlocked later) at the start of each Mission or at a Divinity Statue. The Style System was kicked into high gear in Devil May Cry 4, which introduced dynamic Style Switching during combat with a click of each of the d-pad buttons. Since we know Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition holds a special place in everyone’s hearts, we set out to make it even extra SSSpecial this time around, and borrowed that new trick from Devil May Cry 4.

DMC3-Switch_01-16-20_002.jpg

Style Switching in Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for Switch will work just like you would expect. Press UP for Trickster, DOWN for Royal Guard, LEFT for Gunslinger, and RIGHT for Swordmaster. For the special styles unlocked later in the game, it will require a quick double-tap of specific buttons. For Doppelganger, double-tap LEFT, and for Quicksilver, double-tap RIGHT.

DMC3-Switch_01-16-20_003.jpg

Leveling up the main four styles is also akin to the original Devil May Cry 3 release, but with the added advantage that you can work on leveling up multiple styles almost simultaneously!
Gematsu

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Man if DMC 5 didn't already exist I would say this makes it the best DMC game ever. Now, it's just second best.

Synless

Based Capchads charging people ONLY 20 dollars for a 15 year old game.
Which is a problem why? Great game even today. Nintendo does this with their titles at higher prices at times, I see no issues here. Especially when they are adding quality of life improvements.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo does this with their titles at higher prices at times, I see no issues here.
The fact that you see no issues with this is why Nintendo can get away with their Nintendo tax.

Knch

Which is a problem why? Great game even today. Nintendo does this with their titles at higher prices at times, I see no issues here. Especially when they are adding quality of life improvements.
Let the poor people make their snide comment, it makes them feel better.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ad other have said, it completely changes that game and if this isn't aded to the other version I will go beat down Capcoms door myself.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Who said anything about free coomsumer?
I mean $20 bucks ain't bad; that's about the cost of going to a movie (Or less if you're going on a date)
So, like, what do you want them to do, give it out for free?

I've also never run into a business who charges the least amount they could to sell a product; they put it at the highest price they can to sell the product
Kind of how you make money....

KàIRóS

Style Change is one of multiple new features available in the Switch version of the game. As previously teased, more information will be announced on January 30 and February 13.

Hmm. I'll wait on the new info to see if I get it again, I've had the style switching mod along with many other mods for years on the PC version and I already own DMC3 on 4 different platforms, unless they add something completely new I don't think I'll get it again.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean $20 bucks ain't bad; that's about the cost of going to a movie (Or less if you're going on a date)
So, like, what do you want them to do, give it out for free?
IMO? I'd price this at 9.99 at most. It is a 15 year old game. They are literally losing nothing in porting it and no Nintendo or Sony games aren't worth full price either for the most part.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
IMO? I'd price this at 9.99 at most. It is a 15 year old game. They are literally losing nothing in porting it and no Nintendo or Sony games aren't worth full price either for the most part.
So, say you would price this at 10 bucks, but you could sell it for 20, and sell just as many units
Would you price it at 10, or 20?

They are also spending resources to port it; it's not just you grab the game files and load it into a program, press a button and voila, a port is born, actual WORK does go into porting software from one operating system to another
Not only the actual labor, but approval processes between companies, getting approval for funds, getting approval to apply the funds in a certain way...I could go on and on...

Pricing is whatever people are willing to pay for the product, nothing more or less

I could also make the joke that Microsoft doesn't have any exclusive games, so by default Microsoft's first party titles aren't worth full price :p

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So, say you would price this at 10 bucks, but you could sell it for 20, and sell just as many units

They are also spending resources to port it; it's not just you grab the game files and load it into a program, press a button and voila, a port is born, actual WORK does go into porting software from one operating system to another
Not only the actual labor, but approval processes between companies, getting approval for funds, getting approval to apply the funds in a certain way...I could go on and on...

Pricing is whatever people are willing to pay for the product, nothing more or less

I could also make the joke that Microsoft doesn't have any exclusive games, so by default Microsoft's first party titles aren't worth full price :p
A small chinese kid did this port for 2 nike shoes. It is all profit regardless of the pricing.

Enjay

Banned

Right, you were REAL intelligent before that comment.... 😔

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Right, you were REAL intelligent before that comment.... 😔
Hey, I'm not saying I'M intelligent, or valuing the intelligence of the decisions of software developers
Just sayin' that's how it is, and that's how it works, regardless if we like it or not

I'd rate myself a 5 star dumb ass, to be honest

Love DMC3, and I'm glad for the additions to the Switch, which I just picked up for the family. I'm just happy how Nintendo always add significant additions to the games ported over to their systems (i.e., Dragon Quest XI S and now this).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just sent an email to the Capcom rep I know asking if they are going to bring it to other platforms. (style switching)

Love DMC3, and I'm glad for the additions to the Switch, which I just picked up for the family. I'm just happy how Nintendo always add significant additions to the games ported over to their systems (i.e., Dragon Quest XI S and now this).
Is there any official source that states Nintendo is responsible for DMC3 getting these additional bonuses??

Is there any official source that states Nintendo is responsible for DMC3 getting these additional bonuses??

Don't be a douche, mate! Capcom makes DMC3, but if they wanted to port their games over to a Nintendo system, it's Nintendo who are driving the said directive, and the ports are never just a direct port.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Apparently there will be more cool stuff to come:
49 sec mark he mentions to check back on January 16th.

January 16th: Style Change System
January 30th: ???
February 13th: ???

Last edited:
Don't be a douche, mate! Capcom makes DMC3, but if they wanted to port their games over to a Nintendo system, it's Nintendo who are driving the said directive, and the ports are never just a direct port.
Sure, Nintendo would have to vet the added stuff to make sure it's in line with their philosophy but to say they directed Capcom to add style switching is an assumption.

I'm not saying there's no possibility that Nintendo asked Capcom to do so, I'm saying that your statement doesn't hold water without an official source.

And there are more than a few straight ports to the Switch that don't have anything extra added so your last sentence is demonstrably false. Eg. Dragon's Dogma, RE4, DMC & DMC2.

Sure, Nintendo would have to vet the added stuff to make sure it's in line with their philosophy but to say they directed Capcom to add style switching is an assumption.

I'm not saying there's no possibility that Nintendo asked Capcom to do so, I'm saying that your statement doesn't hold water without an official source.

And there are more than a few straight ports to the Switch that don't have anything extra added so your last sentence is demonstrably false. Eg. Dragon's Dogma, RE4, DMC & DMC2.

I didn't join here to start a war with you, mate!

Last edited:

Quezacolt

He is right tho, nintendo doesnt force the devs to put extras in their ports, most of them are just straight ports nothing more. also, how was he being a douche just for asking for a source? You are the one who's presenting your argument like it's the absolute truth without providing proof when we just need to look at the list of ports to see that it's not the truth.

I assume you joined to have fruitful discussions about games like I did.

And if so, I hope you have the same disdain for misinformation as I do. I too, make errors myself and am open to being corrected.

I have nothing against you nor Nintendo. I just don't think you should attribute something positive and/or negative to them until at least Capcom or Nintendo claims so in this particular case. If they did, you can shove the proof in my face.

P.S. I know text doesn't convey tone over the net very well so have some faith and believe me when I say I have nothing against you personally.

He is right tho, nintendo doesnt force the devs to put extras in their ports, most of them are just straight ports nothing more. also, how was he being a douche just for asking for a source? You are the one who's presenting your argument like it's the absolute truth without providing proof when we just need to look at the list of ports to see that it's not the truth.
Thanks for the defence but he can call me whatever, it's harmless banter.

Anyway, even in this case I can't say for sure that Nintendo didn't ask for the extra content. Fact is, we aren't privy to that information (yet). Maybe Matt Walker will spill the beans in the future...

I wonder if one of the other new features would be weapon switching with the entire arsenal cause that would be some serious badassery.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Weapon switch is the latest update.

Any takers on what the 3rd addition is? February 13th is the reveal.

Anyone going to get this? I really want to. I just have owned it on PS2, PS3, PC, and PS4. These changes are awesome, but should I own it for the 5th time? I did that with the RE franchise.

Last edited:
Weapon switch is the latest update.

Any takers on what the 3rd addition is? February 13th is the reveal.

Anyone going to get this? I really want to. I just have owned it on PS2, PS3, PC, and PS4. These changes are awesome, but should I own it for the 5th time? I did that with the RE franchise.
Unless there are performance issues on the Switch (touch wood!), I'd say this is most definitely worth owning.

I was always annoyed at how Capcom split the HD Collection up and sold each game for $20 but the two additions that have been announced for 3 would make it a super fun juggling toybox. I'm certainly much more interested in it compared to if they merely ported the version that's always existed.

One thing that I'm a bit iffy about is the weapon wheel as none of the directions I've seen are in the cardinal directions like how it is with Astral Chain (North, East and West are used there for three of them).

As for the third addition, I genuinely don't know but I imagine like some have speculated it might be a potential real-time character switching with Vergil.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Unless there are performance issues on the Switch (touch wood!), I'd say this is most definitely worth owning.

I was always annoyed at how Capcom split the HD Collection up and sold each game for $20 but the two additions that have been announced for 3 would make it a super fun juggling toybox. I'm certainly much more interested in it compared to if they merely ported the version that's always existed.

One thing that I'm a bit iffy about is the weapon wheel as none of the directions I've seen are in the cardinal directions like how it is with Astral Chain (North, East and West are used there for three of them).

As for the third addition, I genuinely don't know but I imagine like some have speculated it might be a potential real-time character switching with Vergil.
$20 isn’t too bad for added features. I went ahead and got it.
C1096249-58-E9-4-FE1-BBAF-82352687-EF94.jpg

I hope they saved the best new feature for last. I just wrapped up another playthrough on PS4 too. The Switch makes it easy to play in your car, breakroom, somewhere else in the house, etc.

I hope they saved the best new feature for last. I just wrapped up another playthrough on PS4 too. The Switch makes it easy to play in your car, breakroom, somewhere else in the house, etc.
Wow, wasn't expecting you to prepurchase it that quickly haha.

I'm gonna wait to see what the final feature is but I suppose I'm just delaying the inevitable.

Come to think of it, even if the final feature was simply HD rumble done well I'd be happy with it. I always love that feature when it's implemented well in Switch games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Who is driving the car?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Who is driving the car?
Ha parked, the car is parked. I can drive somewhere over my lunch break and play. It’s nice to play parked in front of a nice view.

Wow, wasn't expecting you to prepurchase it that quickly haha.

I'm gonna wait to see what the final feature is but I suppose I'm just delaying the inevitable.

Come to think of it, even if the final feature was simply HD rumble done well I'd be happy with it. I always love that feature when it's implemented well in Switch games.

I hope you get it too! I can’t be the only person here :messenger_grinning::messenger_grinning_squinting:

Top Bottom