• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers |OT| DOOMed to fight in hell's arena (90s-inspired eldritch shooter)

DirtyLarry

Read about this game before I had my new Gaming PC and was totally into it.
Forgot about it until seeing this thread right now.
Immediately went to go purchase, and even better it is on sale for $3.74
Even WAY better is it also has a Mac version now and I am purchasing it at work on my Macbook Pro and figure why not install it here as well to check out at lunch!!
Total win win.

DirtyLarry

Welp, perhaps not a Win Win. The game just does not respond on OS X at all. It launches, connects to the leaderboards, and then is just stuck on the Title Screen.
I see floating skulls with a menu, cannot choose anything at all. Tried everything I know of as well (which is not much, disconnected my keyboard, my extra monitor, disabled Steam overlay in game). Nothing.

Oh well, will play it when I get home on my Gaming PC. I am sure the Macbook would not have been the best experience anyway.

is that all the update brought?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/422970/announcements/detail/874079166043266121

Along with the Mac build we've added a soundtrack and some new game features to PC and Mac:

• 2 new enemies and updated progression.
  • Fov slider and vsync options.
  • HRTF processing for virtual surround sound when using headphones.
The new version of the game uses a new leaderboard. If you want to watch old replays or play the old version, it's still available by opting in to the "2015" beta in Steam.

oh SHIT new leaderboard + 2 new enemies? I gotta get back in

edit: OK looks like the two new enemies is a new spawner and a skull, looks like its the model for the transformed Skull III after it goes into the Chandelier boss. First appears around 240-250s.

There's a new spider too.

Ophelion

Picked this up last night. Not really my kind of game, but I love it anyway? Like a lot of people have said, I'd love a slightly more complicated game with this aesthetic. It doesn't even have to be more story based. In fact, I think explaining things might ruin some of what makes Devil Daggers feel special. The game produces a sort of frenzied emotional state where I feel like I'm fighting tooth and nail against something I can't even hope to understand. That should stay if they ever do expand on the concept in a Devil Daggers 2: Dagger Harder. Something a little more like Ziggurat or Painkiller, but with this tone, pace and metal-ness would be simply outstanding.

I just want to marry a sense of exploring hostile terrain to what's already there, basically. That lurking dread about what's around the corner that you got between frenzied combat in the first Quake. Other than that, all I'd really ask for is more of the things that Devil Daggers is already doing: more weapons like the daggers, that all upgrade off the same gems and you have to make choices about what to improve or not. More enemies. More creepy sound effects.

Anyway, great game. Look forward to being eviscerated by it several hundred more times before I finally tap out.

Picked this up last night. Not really my kind of game, but I love it anyway? Like a lot of people have said, I'd love a slightly more complicated game with this aesthetic. It doesn't even have to be more story based. In fact, I think explaining things might ruin some of what makes Devil Daggers feel special. The game produces a sort of frenzied emotional state where I feel like I'm fighting tooth and nail against something I can't even hope to understand. That should stay if they ever do expand on the concept in a Devil Daggers 2: Dagger Harder. Something a little more like Ziggurat or Painkiller, but with this tone, pace and metal-ness would be simply outstanding.

I just want to marry a sense of exploring hostile terrain to what's already there, basically. That lurking dread about what's around the corner that you got between frenzied combat in the first Quake. Other than that, all I'd really ask for is more of the things that Devil Daggers is already doing: more weapons like the daggers, that all upgrade off the same gems and you have to make choices about what to improve or not. More enemies. More creepy sound effects.

Anyway, great game. Look forward to being eviscerated by it several hundred more times before I finally tap out.

I was hoping there'd be an interview with the dev somewhere online possibly discussing their future plans in general. Couldn't find one however. I'm really hoping they do something else with this 'universe', it's uniquely ultra dark.

Ophelion

My best time is mid-eighties now. I can almost always kill the first spider. Gets dicey from there though. Feel like my best technique for spider slaying is to just burst him down with the "machine gun" mode as soon as he shows up from wherever I am and then swerve toward the nearest cloud of skulls and let rip a few shotgun blasts to clear them, then start hunting the spawners.

As much as I love the game in short bursts, the frustration level gets insane for me here.

I'm not a high score type of gamer, never have been, but the overall atmosphere and sweet ass movement feeling has me hooked. That means though that to feel satisfaction I'm used to advancing to a new level or something along the lines. I mean I break my previous records now and then but that's usually followed by 10 tries of utter hateful frustration haha.

I'm currently sitting at 77 secs, which is pathetic.

I can't believe the skill some people have in the leaderboard videos, I feel like I just get lucky and have no idea of the ins and outs at work here whenever I beat a previous record.

Some questions for other players:

1. What governs the advancement of the board/enemy spawns? Just certain time marks?
2. Will the spires/squids keep spawning waves of enemies if I let them sit for too long?
3. How the fuck do I get the skull spider to look up and expose its weak spot when it just sits there getting me killed with its head down?

Wunder

Some questions for other players:

1. What governs the advancement of the board/enemy spawns? Just certain time marks?
2. Will the spires/squids keep spawning waves of enemies if I let them sit for too long?
3. How the fuck do I get the skull spider to look up and expose its weak spot when it just sits there getting me killed with its head down?

1. Yup, the game just continues to advance and there are very specific times for each 'wave' of spawns. There is a certain pace and escalation, and the game doesn't care whether or not you fall behind, it just keeps going forward.

2. Yes, the squids keep going. Again, there's a timing window, they dont just keep spewing stuff, but given enough time they'll poop out another wave of guys.

3. You want to be able to kill the spider in one straight go, when it looks up. I don't know if the entire behavior pattern has been listed anywhere but from my experience as long as you keep shooting the weak spot it won't go back down.

1. Yup, the game just continues to advance and there are very specific times for each 'wave' of spawns. There is a certain pace and escalation, and the game doesn't care whether or not you fall behind, it just keeps going forward.

2. Yes, the squids keep going. Again, there's a timing window, they dont just keep spewing stuff, but given enough time they'll poop out another wave of guys.

3. You want to be able to kill the spider in one straight go, when it looks up. I don't know if the entire behavior pattern has been listed anywhere but from my experience as long as you keep shooting the weak spot it won't go back down.

Fuck, I was hoping the spires just remained there as obstacles...wishful thinking. I've come to the conclusion that this game is entirely too hard and stressful for me in the last 20 minutes or so, as much as I love it in some perverse way haha. It was $5 so I don't mind giving up on it.

The fact that there's no way to 'beat' it anyway makes it easy to throw in the towel ha.

Ophelion

Seems like you might be out, but I just wanted to say I have a theory that if you kill something with a gem in it, they'll look up as the gem is attracted to them. Which is convenient since the first more aggressive horned skull is spawned by one of the spires with two weak points pretty much simultaneously with the first spider. In my experience I'm going to have to destroy this guy before getting the spider 75% of the time anyway, unless you get really lucky and the big spire spawns completely opposite of the spider. Then you have enough time to squish him before the agro skull reaches you.

So, the optimal strategy would be to put as much damage as you can on the spider when it first spawns, try to kill it right then and there. If it blocks or you can hear the agro skull's laughter getting close, you turn on the aggressive horned skull, kill him and then return as soon as it is safe to attacking the spider, trying to kill it before it can eat your gem.

Like I said before, from there it's just about cleaning up the spires and trying to clear the field. That's the part I keep tripping up on, but I'll get there.

Also?

This is incorrect. I can say for certain the spider has blocked in the middle of my dealing constant damage to it. It seems to depend on how long it's been in play. There's a window when it first spawns where it just won't block. You just have to be fast. That's pretty much true of everything in this game though. Be fast, be accurate, don't fuck up.

Seems like you might be out, but I just wanted to say I have a theory that if you kill something with a gem in it, they'll look up as the gem is attracted to them. Which is convenient since the first more aggressive horned skull is spawned by one of the spires with two weak points pretty much simultaneously with the first spider. In my experience I'm going to have to destroy this guy before getting the spider 75% of the time anyway, unless you get really lucky and the big spire spawns completely opposite of the spider. Then you have enough time to squish him before the agro skull reaches you.

So, the optimal strategy would be to put as much damage as you can on the spider when it first spawns, try to kill it right then and there. If it blocks or you can hear the agro skull's laughter getting close, you turn on the aggressive horned skull, kill him and then return as soon as it is safe to attacking the spider, trying to kill it before it can eat your gem.

Like I said before, from there it's just about cleaning up the spires and trying to clear the field. That's the part I keep tripping up on, but I'll get there.

Also?

This is incorrect. I can say for certain the spider has blocked in the middle of my dealing constant damage to it. It seems to depend on how long it's been in play. There's a window when it first spawns where it just won't block. You just have to be fast. That's pretty much true of everything in this game though. Be fast, be accurate, don't fuck up.

What's doing me in is restarting from the same point over and over. I get that it's just the game but after 10 consecutive plays, I don't want to ever see the first fucking 40 seconds again.

Those strategies seem correct based on what I've seen in my play as well. I just absolutely randomly made it to 144 seconds earlier, now back down to like the 60s before I decided 'fuck this game' completely. I almost smashed my mouse into the monitor earlier and I haven't had an impulse like that in probably close to 10 years, so yeah...

Ophelion

What's doing me in is restarting from the same point over and over. I get that it's just the game but after 10 consecutive plays, I don't want to ever see the first fucking 40 seconds again.

Those strategies seem correct based on what I've seen in my play as well. I just absolutely randomly made it to 144 seconds earlier, now back down to like the 60s before I decided 'fuck this game' completely. I almost smashed my mouse into the monitor earlier and I haven't had an impulse like that in probably close to 10 years, so yeah...

I totally get that. If I let myself get in a rut, Devil Daggers makes me really furious. As a quick aside, I had to download a program so I could rebind the buttons on my mouse for this game because I have two thumb-controlled buttons on the side of my mouse that by default open the start menu and perform an Alt-Tab function. I cannot tell you how many lives I lost to the game being minimized as my thumb grazed one of those two buttons. I don't mind getting my shit kicked in by the game, but losing a round because of my stupid mouse makes me want to snap my laptop in half.

I have to say though, Dark Souls taught me all kinds of patience. I mostly just laugh at myself now and those early seconds have become about perfectionism for me. I'm almost to a place where I can get to the point where the spider spawns with the field completely clear. I use that time to test little pet theories about enemy behavior too: how the swarm skulls move, what makes the lesser horned skulls go agro, can I control where the spires spawn based on where I stand on the platform, so on. The thing I'm really going to try and work on tonight is finding the best moments to use the rapid fire and the best moments for the scatter shot.

Not trying to convince you to go back in. If it's bad for your blood pressure, you probably shouldn't. :)

I totally get that. If I let myself get in a rut, Devil Daggers makes me really furious. As a quick aside, I had to download a program so I could rebind the buttons on my mouse for this game because I have two thumb-controlled buttons on the side of my mouse that by default open the start menu and perform an Alt-Tab function. I cannot tell you how many lives I lost to the game being minimized as my thumb grazed one of those two buttons. I don't mind getting my shit kicked in by the game, but losing a round because of my stupid mouse makes me want to snap my laptop in half.

I have to say though, Dark Souls taught me all kinds of patience. I mostly just laugh at myself now and those early seconds have become about perfectionism for me. I'm almost to a place where I can get to the point where the spider spawns with the field completely clear. I use that time to test little pet theories about enemy behavior too: how the swarm skulls move, what makes the lesser horned skulls go agro, can I control where the spires spawn based on where I stand on the platform, so on. The thing I'm really going to try and work on tonight is finding the best moments to use the rapid fire and the best moments for the scatter shot.

Not trying to convince you to go back in. If it's bad for your blood pressure, you probably shouldn't. :)

Well, let's put it this way...I just got done playing the damn game again. Apparently it's the gaming equivalent to crack. You hate it but just can't stay away...damn.

The skulls might be the absolutely most fiendishly aggravating enemies I've ever encountered in a game if you don't catch them all immediately. They seem to move so randomly and paired with the no-hit-scan daggers, it can get so infuriating!

Ophelion

Well, let's put it this way...I just got done playing the damn game again. Apparently it's the gaming equivalent to crack. You hate it but just can't stay away...damn.

The skulls might be the absolutely most fiendishly aggravating enemies I've ever encountered in a game if you don't catch them all immediately. They seem to move so randomly and paired with the no-hit-scan daggers, it can get so infuriating!

Yeah, their arc of flight seems quite erratic past the point of their decent after spawning from a spire...

But if it was built by a man, it was built with a pattern. One that we can eventually learn and exploit.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it" basically. I already get jumped from behind far less frequently than I once did. I don't think I'm using sound to my fullest advantage on this though. I think I've just got a rough internal timer that starts counting down when I know there's skulls on the loose behind me somewhere. Most of the time, if I swivel and fire before that timer goes off, I'll be fine. Most of the time.

Also, if anyone knows, I'm assuming based on my experiments that all the old Quake rules apply to this game, right? So, running diagonally is faster than running straight, bunny hopping improves speed, I mean, we know rocket jumping is there for sure. Would explain why you can jump at all since there's nothing to jump over. It's for speed.

Wunder

Also, if anyone knows, I'm assuming based on my experiments that all the old Quake rules apply to this game, right? So, running diagonally is faster than running straight, bunny hopping improves speed, I mean, we know rocket jumping is there for sure. Would explain why you can jump at all since there's nothing to jump over. It's for speed.

Yeah, totally right. Rocket jumping (or shotgun jumping in this case) isn't too useful but there are niche cases for it, specifically the triple metal centipedes that come out around 260s. They coil around so much that sometimes you have to jump over them to survive

Ophelion

Yeah, totally right. Rocket jumping (or shotgun jumping in this case) isn't too useful but there are niche cases for it, specifically the triple metal centipedes that come out around 260s. They coil around so much that sometimes you have to jump over them to survive

Woof. Not looking forward to that...
kind of am looking forward to that.

Yeah, their arc of flight seems quite erratic past the point of their decent after spawning from a spire...

But if it was built by a man, it was built with a pattern. One that we can eventually learn and exploit.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it" basically. I already get jumped from behind far less frequently than I once did. I don't think I'm using sound to my fullest advantage on this though. I think I've just got a rough internal timer that starts counting down when I know there's skulls on the loose behind me somewhere. Most of the time, if I swivel and fire before that timer goes off, I'll be fine. Most of the time.

I mean I really was out...but for like an hour until I sucked me back in. Anyway, regarding the first spider.

I have it down now to where I clean up the board entirely on every run and just blast the spider before the first batch from the double spire can even reach me. I think this is the way to go, otherwise you get crowded badly. I'm playing with headphones and once you clear the board, there is a few seconds of silence and you can run towards the spider's sound. Get super close to it and just blast it immediately, strafing with it as the jerk kind of strafes to the side slightly to ruin your aim.

That should leave the horde from the double spire about halfway heading towards you across the board, at least it does for me like clockwork almost.

My average is now 110 secs. I still don't know how I did 144 earlier. I even managed to take down one of those (incredibly gnarly looking) centipede things or whatever they are.

Top down replays look gorgeous, and you really get to appreciate the animations.

From the RPS article
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5OJigni8xQ
19devildaggersv3.jpg

Dreavus

I've been playing this game in honor of Halloween!

Picked it up as part of the humble bundle a few weeks back. It's fantastic. The sound design is some of the best in gaming. It's useful from a gameplay perspective while at the same time being absolutely chilling atmospherically. My best time is around 210 seconds which is about where the three spiders show up and everything goes to hell. I've gotten the second dagger upgrade exactly 2 times and it seems crucial for getting past that point.

Shockingly no one on my friends list has scores put up. I'm guessing they wiped the boards at one time or another? (Maybe when adding new enemies?) The current best time is up to almost 1000 seconds. I kind of DON'T want to watch it, but I doubt I'd ever get that far. There are moments in the top replays where there seem to be dozens of spiders circling the arena on top of all kinds of other enemies and it just seems impossible.

Anyways fantastic game, wondering if anyone else has jumped back in recently.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna try to play some of this before I sleep, haven't played since they added 3D headphone audio.

Top Bottom