• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deviation & Hermen Hulst discuss PlayStation Studios partnership in new interview

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Most likely, if these teams continue to make good games. If they don't make good games, no point in acquiring them anyway.

It's also worth noting that Insomniac and Naughty Dog were also started in a similar fashion. Now they are marquee PlayStation Studios.

Yup, I have high expectation from this new studio, and Sony giving them this big access only makes sense for a studio in a trial phase like the best studios in the industries like ND, SSM, Insomniac, GG.

Rea

Which is exactly how they handled Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc. early on in their days.
I remembered when Cerny talked about Naughty Dog and Insomniac studios, they were actually founded by Cerny 1st, then Sony snatched both of them to work at SCIE, then Cerny followed them to become a consultant. During that time there's only 2 to 3 people for each studios, less than 10, both combined. Now they have gotten big and having hundreds and thousands of employees.

vivftp

This sounds like an attack on MS’s recent E3.

Not at all, it's just speaking to their philosophy. After all they didn't force Santa Monica Studio to get a polished trailer ready for the God of War reveal at last Septembers showcase. It takes a lot of effort to polish enough of the game to make a trailer like that and it takes away from the actual work on the game. Instead we got that teaser at the end which was more than sufficient and did the job to build hype and the studio got to continue working on the game uninterrupted.

Personally that strategy suits me just fine.

This almost shouldn't even be posted on NeoGAF.

It's like reading the transcript of two advertising robots talking to one another. An Arby's commercial is more informative. You could swap all the nouns in the interview with other companies and nothing would change.

Previous xbox execs were criticised for exactly this type of behavior.

(Phil was criticised too but it's baseless at this point)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Previous xbox execs were criticised for exactly this type of behavior.

(Phil was criticised too but it's baseless at this point)

It's different, when you're already established and well-known, and considered at the highest peak of the food chain in gaming people take those interviews more seriously. If anything, MS should take notes from this instead of gushing about TLOU2 internally.

People who think it's easy to be on Sony level are just not paying attention, TLOU2 alone had more than 2169 developers working on it according to Frobes! That includes the 350+ devs inside ND. Beating Sony in its production value is an impossible mission.

mansoor1980

no one would dare question herman

HermenHulst.jpg

It's different, when you're already established and well-known, and considered at the highest peak of the food chain in gaming people take those interviews more seriously. If anything, MS should take notes from this instead of gushing about TLOU2 internally.

People who think it's easy to be on Sony level are just not paying attention, TLOU2 alone had more than 2169 developers working on it according to Frobes! That includes the 350+ devs inside ND. Beating Sony in its production value is an impossible mission.

Personally would like them to come to E3 (or anyother show soon enough).

They have 20+ games in development as per Hermen. Would be better if they show them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

They have 20+ games in development as per Hermen. Would be better if they show them.

They'll show them early in July, their event. E3 is garbage, they'll never waste their time there anymore going forward. Summer Game Fest is the new era.

They won't show all 21+ games, only 2021/2022 I believe. Let the rest be shown later closer to their release time. Expect gameplay chunks of GT7, GOW:R and other exclusives like FF16.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
still waiting for sony to put a ring on Housemarque and Bluepoint, sigh

It is not always as simple as asking and flashing a check. They tried that for years with Insomniac and it took nearly 2 decades for them to agree.

Yeah, I don't the hesitance is from Sony's end. They keep outsourcing projects after projects to these two studios, so they are obviously happy with the output and quality of that output. I think it all comes down to if HouseMarque and Bluepoint are willing to be acquired or not.

Unless the majority of the studio is willing and excited to be acquired, there is no point in acquiring that studio. Otherwise, you will drain most of the talent, and then only the shell of the former glory remains, e.g., Blizzard, Bioware, Rare, etc.

Having said that, I believe HouseMarque is now (after Returnal) are warming up to the idea of getting acquired. Bluepoint is still a bit far away from that.

yurinka

I think Sony was happy putting money on Destiny, a new IP from a new studio with Halo veterans. And then elaborated that making 2nd party Death Stranding, a new IP from a nw studio with MGS veterans.

They are happy with this idea so they repeated it making 2nd party new IPs from new studios with Assassin's Creed, Destiny and CoD Black Ops veterans. If the projects succeed, I assume they will repeat with more 2nd party games and will end buying these studios.

reksveks

"It's way too early to go into specific platforms at this stage, but it is going to be a console exclusive," is all Anthony would say, keeping his cards close to his chest. Does that mean it won't be coming to PC as well?

"We're not saying anything right now other than we can't be specific about platforms," Anthony replied. I tried!

How long was Death Stranding only on ps4 again?

Greggy

Hopefully Sony gets one decent FPS out of this. Competition in that genre would be good. Xbox has everything in that area at the moment and they might become complacent.

Hezekiah

Banned
I don't get it, how can they say they are self financed and independently backed and then have Sony... paying for development of the game?!?!

There's two ways to go about it with game devs, either treat them the same you would movie makers or you treat them the same you would productivity software developers. A lot of publishers out there choose the later, while Sony chooses the former.
But Sony will own the IP.

Unknown?

This almost shouldn't even be posted on NeoGAF.

It's like reading the transcript of two advertising robots talking to one another. An Arby's commercial is more informative. You could swap all the nouns in the interview with other companies and nothing would change.
If that were the case 80% of what Spencer says shouldn't be here either.

3liteDragon

Cool, am I crazy in thinking that this might be coming to pc very shortly after the ps release?

Maybe I am getting tricked by the fact by my presumption that's a multiplayer fps.
If it’s a new multiplayer IP, I think it might another Death Stranding. But honestly no one knows Sony’s release cycles for games on PC, it’s so random.

Shmunter

Seems there some shenanigans with the 20+ games according to Colin Moriarty.

Sony is rebranding 2nd party as a PlayStation Studio. No distinction made between the naughty dogs, Insomniacs, etc vs unproven studios or partnerships. Risk is the Sony seal of quality is likely to get diluted.

Again, short term gain in attempting to gain sales through brand recognition vs long term ramifications.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Sony is rebranding 2nd party as a PlayStation Studio. No distinction made between the naughty dogs, Insomniacs, etc vs unproven studios or partnerships. Risk is the Sony seal of quality is likely to get diluted.

Again, short term gain in attempting to gain sales through brand recognition vs long term ramifications.
Seems like a no lose situation if it looks like it is a great game brand as a first party. If it sucks brand as a third party nearing launch. It is like people who only root for the best sports teams.

ZehDon

It could easily apply to MS 2020 E3, which was filled to the brim with CG trailers, but ended up being praised by a large subset of gamers anyway. 😏😏😏
There was no E3 last year. You might mean their mid-year Games Showcase, the one they opened with Halo Infinite? The one that bombed so hard they delayed Halo Infinite for a year and basically apologised for the show after virtually the entire internet told them the whole thing was garbage? Or do you you mean a different show?

Kerotan

If call of duty was these guys bread and butter and Sony want more fps games then this makes perfect sense. Kinda like bungie going off to make a new ip destiny. Still very like halo but better.

It would be very hard to make a new fps on par with cod but with more freedom and only 1 platform to dev for who knows what they could pull off.

There was no E3 last year. You might mean their mid-year Games Showcase, the one they opened with Halo Infinite? The one that bombed so hard they delayed Halo Infinite for a year and basically apologised for the show after virtually the entire internet told them the whole thing was garbage? Or do you you mean a different show?

Yep, that one. Setting Halo aside, the whole thing was a CGI pumping machine. As to the quasi-unanimous negative reactions, they were mostly prompted by non Xbox fans, because the latter group were initially fine. The whole internet telling MS the show was garbage is a freaking lie. You want us to dig up the impressions on this very site from Xbox fans? Or Xbox youtubers/podcasters? Or Xbox affiliated journalists? You will be shocked by the scores/final verdicts, with the majority of them rating it around the level of the Playstation showcase (🤡)...Or not! Perhaps you were holding the same opinion at the time before realizing how ridiculous it was?
Anyway...

Last edited:

yurinka

With GoWR as exception, in the recent years they always shown them running on the console and with gameplay at the announcement or a few months later. So they prefer to announce them closer to release.

Out of these 25+ games, we only know about Ratchet, Horizon 2, GT7, Death Stranding Director's Cut and GoW. And even if not formally announced, Bend's new IP and TLOU2 MP game. Plus the 2nd party guys from Jade Raymond, the Destiny guys and the CoD guys. And pretty likely the TLOU remake and Uncharted 4 PC also count.

So there are 13+ games they have under development we don't know a shit about them, even if we can assume some of them are Spider-Man 2, other SSM game, other Guerrilla game, MLB, GoT 2, next Pixel Opus game, next Team Asobi game, next Bluepoint game, next Housemarque game, next Sony London game. And there should be like more than 3 games more.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
By the way, this game by Deviation Games could be sci-fi, set up on Mars.

If you go to their website, scroll down, and hit that yellow planet icon, a video will play that teases "First Games on Mars".
0xSKR7k.jpg

Could just be a fancy marketing promo, or could be an actual game tease. Considering how well they hid it, it is more likely to be an easter egg and a hint of the game they are making.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It’s really interesting because on the one hand we hear Sony are very hands off with development process. But on the other hand, unless the game reaches a certain metacritic level, the franchise is killed.

To me this is the best way to do it. If you are a top notch developer, I bet most of them like this challenge. We lose some good teams though. I'm still upset about Evolution Studios :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Some interesting stuff there

WHOA! Some great stuff there.

"But at the same time we've been working together for a while now. It's not like we signed the deal yesterday. We've been working together for about a year, a year-and-a-half. And it's going really well. We have our guys who are actively involved in the development, that play the stuff that we're making."

When did Kojima sign on with Sony to make Death Stranding?

"First of all, regards the studio, we're actually well over 100 people right now," Anthony said.

So they could be at 140 people at the moment for all we know. This game will be big!

"It doesn't matter how good you are, if you created Black Ops before or the Zombie mode before, it's tough for anyone. And it's going to require patience. And you will fail and get back up again, try new things. And I love that. I love folks that step up, that are talented, but take a challenge that's even huge for them. I'm committed to giving them the time and space. I'll give them the resources from a PlayStation perspective - because they get access to the same world class development services as my internal teams do. Whether it's the art groups or the game analytics or IT support, whatever it is that they need, they will get access to all of it."

I can't see how this developer will fail. This game will at the very least be good.

"New IP is amazing," Hulst said. "We're always looking to offer fresh new experiences to the audience, to the PlayStation community. It's also an honour for me as the head of PlayStation Studios to find a group like Jason, Dave and their team to work with us. Obviously they can sign deals with whomever they want. They believe in our commitment to innovation, to quality. So it's a matter of finding ways to bring the most innovative, the highest quality experiences to the audience. And it doesn't really matter to me, at the end of the day, how we set it up organisationally. It's all about, how do we get eventually the best possible experiences to our community?"

I couldn't be happier reading the bolded.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Who gives a rats ass about what Moriarty says? Every time I see sacred symbols he’s just being a negative jaded smartass.

If Sony owns the IP, if Sony is publishing, then it’s a Sony game.

Shmunter

Who gives a rats ass about what Moriarty says? Every time I see sacred symbols he’s just being a negative jaded smartass.

If Sony owns the IP, if Sony is publishing, then it’s a Sony game.
Disagree, he’s reasoning is sound, not based on blind loyalty. Indeed, it’s tough love.

Disagree, he’s reasoning is sound, not based on blind loyalty. Indeed, it’s tough love.

I guess we should discard Demon's Souls and Returnal. That guy is an idiot...He has been crying all over youtube non-stop since the Zenimax acquisition, and will shed some more tears at other consolidation announcements, instead of, you know, playing the titles already released and anticipating the plethora of projects being worked on by Sony. What a dork!

Last edited:

Shmunter

I guess we should discard Demon's Souls and Returnal. That guy is an idiot...He has been crying all over youtube non-stop since the Zenimax acquisition, and will shed some more tears at other consolidation announcements, instead of, you know, playing the titles already released and anticipating the plethora of projects being worked on by Sony. What a dork!
No idea what you’re talking about, but well done on letting it out man! It’s not good to bottle it in

Last edited:
Top Bottom