• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deviation Games (Working on PS5 Exclusive) Loses COD Veteran and Gains a COD Veteran

Don’t put blatant console war bait in threads to cause drama.
It seems Jason Blundell, founder of Deviation games and formerly a studio-head of Trey-arch has departed the team before any game has officially been announced. Deviation has been working on a new PlayStation IP, which is rumored to be a FPS as the studio hired many former COD and Titanfall devs.

MOD EDIT: Tony Flame joins Deviation Games.
It's a big loss but they gained a big gain LOL

P9MOCuV.jpg
p8q5bfm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They still have a pretty talented roster

Christopher Berry (Technical Artist) - Worked on:
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Assassins Creed: Origins
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Gears of War 4
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

Jamie Mcnulty (Art Director) - Worked on:
Gears 5 Hivebusters
Gears 5
Gears 4
Halo 5
Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock
CJ Connoy (Senior Producer) - Worked on:
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: World at War DLC 3
Lots of PlayStation San Diego sports games including NBA, NFL, NCAA, and MLB franchises

Fred Thompson (Design Director) - Worked on:
Eternal (Digital Card Game)
Sony's San Diego NBA series

Johnathan Hawkings (Creative Director) - Worked on:
Eclipse: Edge of Light
God of War: Ascension
God of War III (2010)
God of War Collection (2009)
God of War II (2007)
God of War (2005)

Dean Rymer (Design Director) - Worked on:
God of War (2018)
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Tony Flame (Design Director) - Worked on:
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: World at War
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 2

I also don’t think they’re making a military shooter

Rac3r

This guy seemed really passionate about what they were making, so unless he retired, this isn't a good look for the studio's identity/culture.

As others have mentioned this could be bad news, or nothing at all. It could also mean Sony may have bought the studio and he took a pay day.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, Hermen recently visited them and its plausible he quit around the same time.

I would almost put money on the fact that they were acquired. Hermen probably liked what he saw and made a deal, they need good FPS talent

DZ_b_EZ

I promise you, whatever you're making in that den is NOT "groundbreaking". Developers have to stop with that horse shit.

Never a good sign when senior management leaves. But Sony's strategy probably expects many of these startup ventures to fail, hoping that some will stick.

Who knows if this one will turn out good or bad, like any of these new studios we haven't heard jack shit despite their empty hype campaigns.

BeardGawd

Banned
Ex COD and Titanfall devs sounds promising! Is this one of Sony's 10 GAAS in development?

With this studio plus Bungie and any other fps projects in development. Seems like Sony should have any COD absence covered?

I promise you, whatever you're making in that den is NOT "groundbreaking". Developers have to stop with that horse shit.
Almost every dev wants to create a masterpiece and they also want to think of their past projects as great. These guys are still artists at heart.

It would be weird for the dev to outwardly come out and say he wants to make a game that's average.

DZ_b_EZ

Almost every dev wants to create a masterpiece and they also want to think of their past projects as great. These guys are still artists at heart.

It would be weird for the dev to outwardly come out and say he wants to make a game that's average.
I get that, but I believe it's up to the critics and the audience to determine the quality of the product your selling.

SSfox

Isn't it one of those studio that Hermen is betting on? Ewww smelling pretty weird.

I don't really care about this FPS dev, but it seems like he was important in the studio, so big loss?. Pretty weird tho

With this studio plus Bungie and any other fps projects in development. Seems like Sony should have any COD absence covered?
This development studio,with the talent is has accumulated, definitely seems like the kind that would be tasked by Sony to come up with a viable alternative to COD. However, if rumors from resetera are to be believed, this studio departure I reported on is just one of many

EDMIX

It's a big loss but they gained a big gain LOL

P9MOCuV.jpg
p8q5bfm.jpg

yea so it sounds like its been planned for some time if they already had someone lined up.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford well they are right to show nothing. I recall years ago that Sony made a comment about no longer showing games so many years in advance and with this MP focus on this title, I think maybe it makes sense to wait until its a few months before release like 6 to 13 or something or reveal it randomly like we saw from APEX.

Why show it early now in a stage where lots isn't final?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Not to be meta here, but it's the first time I've seen it.

I really like the reply banned tag the forum has now. Before you had really no way of knowing if a person was reply banned, so the derail would continue.

I personally think and have advocated for reply bans in the past, as I don't like seeing many people banned from the forum (with a few exceptions) and I do think that's a better way to go about it.

Now are reply bans permanent from the thread or can they be lifted?

yea so it sounds like its been planned for some time if they already had someone lined up.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford well they are right to show nothing. I recall years ago that Sony made a comment about no longer showing games so many years in advance and with this MP focus on this title, I think maybe it makes sense to wait until its a few months before release like 6 to 13 or something or reveal it randomly like we saw from APEX.

Why show it early now in a stage where lots isn't final?

It’s fine that they don’t show anything until it’s ready, but did they have to announce the partnership so early? I dunno, maybe they use that as a recruiting tool if they are working on AAA Sony exclusives

EDMIX

It’s fine that they don’t show anything until it’s ready, but did they have to announce the partnership so early? I dunno, maybe they use that as a recruiting tool if they are working on AAA Sony exclusives

Likely. They want the best talent and they likely want those other developers to jump ship or something. So I think you are spot on that its a recruiting thing as Sony likes making teams from the ground up and maybe they feel they can get a group together to spark some MP gold or something. Its a tough genre and so many hit or misses, they need everything they can get to pull this off and that foundation starts with a ace team.

Shubh_C63

The only video i have seen of them at TGA, they came out extremely passionate about making games.

With the CoD news, hope they knock it out of the park and establish a franchise. I doubt it though.

DonF

Not to be meta here, but it's the first time I've seen it.

I really like the reply banned tag the forum has now. Before you had really no way of knowing if a person was reply banned, so the derail would continue.

I personally think and have advocated for reply bans in the past, as I don't like seeing many people banned from the forum (with a few exceptions) and I do think that's a better way to go about it.

Now are reply bans permanent from the thread or can they be lifted?
What replay ban¿ They can't reply anymore in the thread?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yay, another thread about a random dev getting a job.

I get that, but I believe it's up to the critics and the audience to determine the quality of the product your selling.
Not saying you're wrong and I completely agree with your post. I just wanted to explain why people see creators say that type of line so much. I've seen it from plenty of directors, writers, and musicians too.

Kagey K

Banned
Yay, another thread about a random dev getting a job.
I thunk it was more about a guy founding a company and then ditching it.

But hey everyone sees what they want.

I guess Deviation got the money from his pedigree and then paid him to go away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom