• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deviation Games signs with PlayStation to develop a new original IP

Fbh

partnership with new studio and acquisitions can only be that (at least at first)

I mean sure, but then just make a press release announcing the partnership.

When they send them to some live event to be like "so yeah....please be excited about this vague game we'll reveal at some point in the next 10 years" it's just silly.

martino

I mean sure, but then just make a press release announcing the partnership.

When they send them to some live event to be like "so yeah....please be excited about this vague game we'll reveal at some point in the next 10 years" it's just silly.
to give us an awkward moment of course.

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh
I dunno, as a Cod fan the BO1&2 were awesome and they came up with the 1st zombies gameplay which I love.
They are defo better than Sledgehammer but not Infinity Ward. People leave studios all the time
Yeah, but Co-heads of studios don't.

Also, Anthony was a campaign creator. Blundell worked on campaigns and some Zombie mode story stuff. The main issue with the last COD game they created was a campaign that was too ambitious and taking too much time as well as not working on Zombie mode enough and basically letting it be copied from COD3.

Again, I have high hopes for them but their exit from Treyarch as well as how they left isn't all peaches and cream.

Also, they oversaw the worst COD games in my opinion.

Hate to break it to you but the reasoning behind them leaving COD

They left after BO4 because the game development was a nightmare. For Treyarch and Activision. The innovation was gone from Zombies mode, the campaign was a resounding MEH. The game required other development teams being pulled from what they were doing to help Treyarch get it out the door.

They rewrote the game almost three times and didn't focus on Zombies by their OWN decision (not Activision, not because of MP) so when they presented the game to Activision the campaign was too ambitious and taking too much time and Zombies was a shell of itself, a copycat of previous Zombies games with little effort to innovate. This specific criticism of zombies in BO4 was evident when the game launched. There was mismanagement from the top and not proper scope for the campaign. And this mismanagement in the studio lead to issues within the studios culture, a split between interns, QA and seasoned COD developers.

Successful, 500m selling game launches and then the studio heads quietly leave? Again, I'm a huge COD fan, huge Sony fan. Think logically. The guys oversaw a nightmare development of a cash cow and mismanaged a studio so bad Activision LET THEM LEAVE. That speaks volumes. I hope they can pull it together, they've got a lot of great developers with them.

They also made the worst COD games. Campaign, MP, etc. That's an opinion and it's my opinion.
I think BO1 has the best campaign of the franchise and I'm a huge zombie fan so I might be biased, but I agree with you on the MP side of things. I think IW are the best ones in that aspect. I respect your opinion.
I never really got in too deep about what happened with BO4's development, the only things I heard were coming from the zombies community but that was years ago, it really sounds like a hell and oddly enough, it sounds like the "disastrous development" stuff we've heard from this year's COD.

Black Ops director and Executive Producer.

Sony has now partnered with three new studios in the last few months alone:

- Ex-Bungie Devs
- Ex-Treyarch Devs
- Jade Raymond's new studio

All making new IPs.

These games are like 5 years away though.

One of them will be out by late 2023/early 2024; The first one, that is. The other two will hit toward 2024/2025. Imo, of course.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I’m not expecting much out of this studio, but the comment about the PS game development process caught my attention. Maybe there’s hope.

Last edited:
There's been a fuck tonne of new games, enhanced versions and partnerships for PS5 these last few months, those that leaked Sony opening up the warchest and pumping cash into software appear to have been right all along. Keep it coming.

(Guilty Gear releasing on PS5 this week has been my pick of the bunch lately)

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
MSFT: let's buy Bethesda and other well known studios and watch as their quality decreases over time under our care.

Sony: let's buy completely new studios with random industry vets and watch as they release a GOTY candidate with an 88+ Metacrictic score.

I'm kinda kidding. But kinda not.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you but the reasoning behind them leaving COD

They left after BO4 because the game development was a nightmare. For Treyarch and Activision. The innovation was gone from Zombies mode, the campaign was a resounding MEH. The game required other development teams being pulled from what they were doing to help Treyarch get it out the door.

They rewrote the game almost three times and didn't focus on Zombies by their OWN decision (not Activision, not because of MP) so when they presented the game to Activision the campaign was too ambitious and taking too much time and Zombies was a shell of itself, a copycat of previous Zombies games with little effort to innovate. This specific criticism of zombies in BO4 was evident when the game launched. There was mismanagement from the top and not proper scope for the campaign. And this mismanagement in the studio lead to issues within the studios culture, a split between interns, QA and seasoned COD developers.

Successful, 500m selling game launches and then the studio heads quietly leave? Again, I'm a huge COD fan, huge Sony fan. Think logically. The guys oversaw a nightmare development of a cash cow and mismanaged a studio so bad Activision LET THEM LEAVE. That speaks volumes. I hope they can pull it together, they've got a lot of great developers with them.

They also made the worst COD games. Campaign, MP, etc. That's an opinion and it's my opinion.

This is too desperate jeez chill out who cares.

Their next game might come out before Bethesda's first next gen title....aheam... (2023)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Another shit partenership ("partenershit") i don't give fuck about from hermen hulst, after the already Jayde raymond game and ex Bungie Gaas.

Fire this clown and give us back Yosp or somebody else with brain.
investing in talent is investing in talent. Doesnt matter if they invest in Treyarch or Bungie or neo-Treyarch or neo-Bungie. A lot of these devs are really talented, and like Respawn, this could be a good thing.

They did the same with Kojima. Would you rather they buy the MGS team over at Konami or buy the new team Kojima built up? We dont get Death stranding if Kojima doesnt partner up with Sony.

Creator of AC. Creator of Black Ops. Creator of Destiny. That's as A-List as you can get when it comes to western studios.

SSfox

investing in talent is investing in talent. Doesnt matter if they invest in Treyarch or Bungie or neo-Treyarch or neo-Bungie. A lot of these devs are really talented, and like Respawn, this could be a good thing.

They did the same with Kojima. Would you rather they buy the MGS team over at Konami or buy the new team Kojima built up? We dont get Death stranding if Kojima doesnt partner up with Sony.

Creator of AC. Creator of Black Ops. Creator of Destiny. That's as A-List as you can get when it comes to western studios.
I get your point, but none of those project by Hermen Hulst got me excited tbh. Sounds like he has some of the shittiest gaming taste ever, and Jayde didn't created AC, Patrick Desilet did.

Yes Yosp and Andrew did partnership with Kojima and FS for Bloodborne. Those guys actually understand playstation and have great and real gaming taste.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A note from the development team on building something new.

DEVIATION_PS_LOGOS.jpg

Dave Anthony, CEO Deviation Games:

It’s been a wild and crazy roller coaster ride this last year, building a new studio and hiring a ton of great talent amid the pandemonium of the COVID-19 lockdown. What an incredible journey so far and finally the day that marks the beginning of our next chapter has arrived! Today we are thrilled to announce a landmark deal for Deviation Games, working with Sony Interactive Entertainment to develop a brand-new original IP.
When my partner Jason Blundell and I first met decades ago, we often dreamt about having our own studio, making games our way with our own team of like-minded developers, and building a community where lasting friendships are created. That dream has become a reality today. We feel so fortunate to have this incredible opportunity – one for Jason and I to build something completely new from the ground up, to fearlessly innovate and forge an incredible community and legacy.

We call ourselves Deviators. And as Jason describes it, “Another way of saying Deviator is Renaissance mindset. Deviators are not only passionate about their own discipline, but they love others too. We believe that is what is unique and special about our studio, the culture, the team, and this project. From experience, young determined studios need rock solid support to thrive. That’s why it means so much that PlayStation is partnering with us on our first game. As you all know–having enjoyed the amazing PlayStation Studios portfolio–they know what it takes to make great games. To have a partner like that behind us makes the road ahead simply breathtaking.”

I know what you’re thinking as you read this. What kind of game are we making? How long have we already been working on it? Is it story based? Multiplayer? Co-op? Or all of the above and more? When is it coming out? While I can confirm development is already underway, it’s really early for us to be going into specific details. We’re drawing on what we’ve learned over our collective decades making games, but we’re also out to make something fresh and brimming with innovation like you’ve never experienced before. We’re not afraid to say that our ambitions are super high: we’re setting out to make a huge, content-rich game with a focus on a lot of action and a lot of energy, but let’s leave it at that for now and hopefully it won’t be long before we can share more.

As for today, I’m here to say: keep an eye on us–we’ve brought on amazing talent from around the world, we’re over 100 Deviators and growing fast, and we have an incredible partner behind us in SIE.

To our fans, particularly those who’ve followed some of our team members’ past work over the years: thank you for all your support, particularly now as we venture into creating something for ourselves. Follow our studio channels for all the latest and stay tuned. We might be quiet for a little while but next time we can talk specifically about what we’re working on; we’re confident it will raise a few eyebrows!

Last edited:

Banned
"veterans from Call of Duty and Treyarch" ???

that's like saying, "veterans from Halo and Bungie" lol

also... eh... let's hope they won't make a CoD clone...

Last edited:

EDMIX

I wish them success!! We need more fps on playstation

Trust, but I felt Sony knew that, but didn't want to force their teams to fill that gap. It makes sense to get those COD veterans the support they needed. They get what the want, Sony gets what they want, the other Sony teams can keep focusing on what they want.

Win, Win, Win. So all of us asking for Killzone or Resistance, Sony knew those teams where better off with Spiderman, Horizon etc. Save those other IP for Bluepoint remakes and anything new allow for a team that ACUTALLY does that shit right, to get the ok for a new IP.

It makes sense. I don't think Sony hates FPS, they just don't have a long history of moving lots of units with it with those teams in general, but if the right team comes along.....I feel they'd have no issue okaying a new IP.

White-fire

Thinking out loud here, considering the strong narrative and first person experience and lack of mention of multiplayer, (like Firewalk’s game), I am thinking this game is a narrative driven FPS, possibly like the Metro series. If the game will have any multiplayer element it may be like Ghost of Tsushima, a co-op side content thing. I’m guessing Sony wanted an FPS looker like Killzone that can also craft a beautiful story, and decided this partnership was a good fit.

I could be very wrong though and I would welcome it. An RPG or something in that line of experience would be out of left field, but exciting.

Last edited:

ksdixon

I missed when Sony partnered with ex-bungie devs? Who are they?

Is Sony just buying exclusive games and saying it's a PS Studio for this one game, or have they acquired these new dev houses as actual new peeps in the PS Studios lineup?

rob305

I missed when Sony partnered with ex-bungie devs? Who are they?

Is Sony just buying exclusive games and saying it's a PS Studio for this one game, or have they acquired these new dev houses as actual new peeps in the PS Studios lineup?
It sounds like theyre just partnering with them for 1 game as of right now, kinda like they did with Kojima Productions for Death Stranding

Last edited:

ksdixon

It sounds like theyre just partnering with them for 1 game as of right now, kinda like they did with Kojima Productions for Death Stranding
I find that to be so short-sighted. Like Sony could invest in, let's say, Square Enix tomorrow, and then MS just backs the money truck up and buys SE next week.

Sony just seems to be asleep at the wheel for PS5 gen. Too drunk from PS4'S success?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I believe this studio has alot of veteran from other studios as well.
This is just me personally but i hope is something single player , but i doubt it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I find that to be so short-sighted. Like Sony could invest in, let's say, Square Enix tomorrow, and then MS just backs the money truck up and buys SE next week.

Sony just seems to be asleep at the wheel for PS5 gen. Too drunk from PS4'S success?

I don't think Sony should add too much studios and suffer from expenses bleeding. If that studio goes to MS then be it. You shouldn't just pile up studios without being generous with them and patient so they can make great games. The money that can be spent on acquisition could easily be used to make 5-10 massive AAA games with current prices. You won't get an Insomniac $239M bargain any time soon.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You think they should buy unproven devs right off the bat?

Also how big are those studios anyway? If TLOU2 alone was made by 2169 developers , and ND is already beyond 350 people:

Making generation-defining games aren't cheap. Sony should just keep growing organically with their proven studios and source out some of its projects like they're doing. Acquiring great studios with big talent for a reasonable price from time to time is good as well, assuming that studio wanna get acquired in the first place. Usually studios in debts and in trouble who offer themselves for sale, which is already questionable to get them.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

This is how an underdog competes with a juggernaut like Microsoft.

Make short term deals that are significantly cheaper than buying studios. Secure your output over the next 5 years. Reaasses down the road when the market may (or may not) prove unstable for a lot of developers/publishers.

Microsoft did this exact strategy against PlayStation 10 years ago when they weren't able to grow their first party stable.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reversed how? Show me the inverse.

10 years ago XBox leadership would talk up the advantages of securing 3rd party exclusives (2nd party games) as a response to their relatively small 1st party studio lineup, compared to PlayStation.

They didn't have the budget to compete with Sony back then so they'd ink smaller one off deals to try to keep pace. The roles have seemingly flipped.

10 years ago XBox leadership would talk up the advantages of securing 3rd party exclusives (2nd party games) as a response to their relatively small 1st party studio lineup, compared to PlayStation.

They didn't have the budget to compete with Sony back then so they'd ink smaller one off deals to try to keep pace. The roles have seemingly flipped.
When was this? 2nd party a term that basically exists bc of Playstation. When has Microsoft not been buying?

White-fire

Sony’s first party studios are going to be holding their own. Sony is having their best year ever output-wise without new acquisitions. As Sony continues to expand their studios the amount of games they will be able to produce per year will also increase. It’s a fallacy that aquiring new studios is the only way to make sustainable long term investments in your first party output. I’d wager that Sony has those “25+ first party games” already reached without these third party partnerships with Firewalk, Haven, and Deviation Games.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When was this? 2nd party a term that basically exists bc of Playstation. When has Microsoft not been buying?

Microsoft had a smaller first party (to varying degrees) than Sony from 2001 - 2020. Many of XBox's highest profile exclusives were 2nd party deals such as Splinter Cell, Ninja Garden, Gears of War etc especially during the OG XBox generation. It's what kept them afloat.

It may be the smarter, more cost effective strategy. Who knows?

Top Bottom