• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers remove games from Steam over Valve's Black Lives Matter silence

kiphalfton

"If every company in existence doesn't release a statement, we will continue to bitch incessantly."

Jeesh, I mean seriously are these nutcases going down a list of companies and checking boxes whether or not they released a statement? Didn't realize silence wasn't an option.

PanzerAzel

"It's clearer than ever that the owners of this platform feel beholden to a base of angry white male gamers. This makes me especially sad because I feel that some of these people are the people who most need to hear the message of Black Lives Matter."

Jesus Christ. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dory16

Banned
yes but not my question. You said you didn't know, I didn't ask you whether you knew or not. I asked you what you think.
I don't know if they want to be presented for their colour so I can't "think" that. Also it's irrelevant.
I think it's likely that they want to be presented period and I don't believe they have ever been before. If it was a coincidence, the timing was interesting.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
"If every company in existence doesn't release a statement, we will continue to bitch incessantly."

Jeesh, I mean seriously are these nutcases going down a list of companies and checking boxes whether or not they released a statement? Didn't realize silence wasn't an option.
But "silence is violence"

Life

So you're giving up 1000 dollars a month cos Steam just wants to continue selling games in silence.....which they've been doing since 2003?
Here's an idea, why don't you keep your game there, and use that 1k to help just causes? Hm? No?

Also, 1K is a laughable amount to be bragging about.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

He's kind of a clown but he did actually follow through at a cost to himself financially so it's kind of more meaningful than vast majority of the useless rubes on Twitter that just bitch and moan about racism with no actual commitment.

I feel bad for him in the way that you are embarrassed about some of the stupid things you did as a teenager. But he's an adult so not so much.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I looked into this a bit further. The game in the OP (First Winter) has around 4,500 owners on Steam. It's priced currently at $3.99 but I'd suspect that over half of those bought the game at it's sale price of 50% off - $1.99. So let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt here. Working under that assumption, and considering Valve's 30% cut, this game will have made approximately $9,418.50 over it's lifetime of sales. This is also being incredibly generous, considering the game was on itch.io originally for $0.99 and it appears that some Steam owners bought it there and were given keys - not sure on this. Also incredibly generous considering that for all I know, 90% of the games sales could have come from it being 50% off.

Either way - the game has been out for 25 months. That would bring the average monthly total out to just a maximum of $376.74. Keep in mind this is the average total - some months would be more (like probably during the Summer Sale when it was 50% off) but other months would be WAY, WAY less. The number of sales, the price of the game in question, these things do not add up to generating a consistent revenue stream that is anywhere near $1,000 a month.

Dude is being incredibly generous with his use of the ~ sign here.

MHubert

I don't know if they want to be presented for their colour so I can't "think" that. Also it's irrelevant.
I think it's likely that they want to be presented period and I don't believe they have ever been before. If it was a coincidence, the timing was interesting.
Fair enough.
Personally, I "think" that most normal people would be offended by being exhibited, foremost, because of their skin color and not because of their craft/skill/product.

Dory16

Banned
Fair enough.
Personally, I "think" that most normal people would be offended by being exhibited, foremost, because of their skin color and not because of their craft/skill/product.
And nobody has advocated for that. It's an argument that is often exhibited to justify systemic discrimination.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
:messenger_crying:

I guess Valve must be run by the KKK or something!!!!!!

/s (cuz it's hard to tell sometimes)

What petty fuckin' devs.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Fuck him, whoever he is. Looks like a nonce.

HWH8COMM_400x400.jpg

Giving up 1000 dollars a month is a baller move yo!

carlosrox

Banned
Sometimes I feel that the BLM cause is becoming a temporal PR move that people want to take advantage of because it’s super trending now in the US (and several parts of the world).

Sounds like another big thing in the news that won't go away ;)

Traianvs

I honestly doubt he really cares about BLM.
Probably they asked him to support black lives matter, he understood blacked wives nutters and he got all excited. Anyway, less garbage on steam, let's hope that the woke signal will keep lighting the sky.

Iorv3th

He can afford to do it because he still lives at home with his parents.

I'm sure his dad watches Fox News and he just hates him for that and won't move out as revenge so that they have to continue to pay for his food/housing...

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Well surely you seem to suggest that Sony did just that.
Then show me the part where I say that Kena isn't a game that deserved to appear on the show based on merit.
You act as if those 2 things were mutually exclusive. And I bet you have no idea how offensive that is. Don't worry, my expectations are low especially in this thread.

Last edited:

DonF

You know this would be a bigger deal if steam where a public company, with stockholders and the like, pressuring the CEO. But no, valve and steam are private. So the owner is the sole responsible. Gabe doesn't need to cave to this stupid demands cause "it's what the market and audience want"

Dumb people will read the lack of a response as a statements perse, but sometimes saying nothing it's because you are a god damn game company come on! It's literally digital toys! Why are people so obsessed about make it political?!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
While I appreciate the sentiment, I mean I'm black and I don't think this is necessary.

People who want to speak up, should. Silence does not mean you're complicit as much as it may signify that you don't want to get involved. People should be allowed to choose their battles.

I'm not out there protesting. Mainly because I believe it's being done the wrong way. The problem with black people today is that we don't know how to fight back. Protesting is only going to get you so far. If fundamental change is to happen black people need to build from within. We barely support each other, why would we expect others to.

Part of it is the systemic racism inherent in the country, but other people have taken their own struggles and found a way to rise above it. The Jewish people are a prime example. They own the banks, the sports teams, the hotels, etc. They did that by supporting one another and taking care of home first. Black people are not there yet. They flaunt Louie Vatton and Gucci and dumb shit like that, when they should be helping out at barber shops and other small businesses to help build our community like everyone else does.

Sorry if I got off topic, but this is absolute fact.

Majukun

it's one thing if a company decides to take a stance in the matter by its own volition, but i think it's absurd to pretend they do, especially when you really only want to hear what they have to say (assuming a company can have an opinion since it's not a person) only if they agree with you.

no matter how one stand on the whole BLM movement, i think it's absurd to force someone to take a stance knowing that you are going to try and punish them if you don't like the answer

cryogenic7

So stupid. If everyone is bullied into making a statement, then how do the statements carry any weight? SJW's destroy everything they touch.

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh no, how will steam survive this?
Also where will he go with his game? GOG owned by "transphobic" CD Projekt ? Epic which is 49% owned by China?

Either way I'm guessing he is counting on enough people now buying his game somewhere else to support his "braveness" to make up for the lost Steam sales. I wonder how that will work out for him.

You know what, it would have taken Valve literally 5 minutes to just put a popup that appears as you enter Steam. All of 5 minutes. And it would have saved them this problem.

But i know, 5 minutes is a lot of time. I know guys, i know.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You know what, it would have taken Valve literally 5 minutes to just put a popup that appears as you enter Steam. All of 5 minutes. And it would have saved them this problem.

But i know, 5 minutes is a lot of time. I know guys, i know.
It's not so much about the effort, but more about the thoughtfulness.

If they don't feel compelled on their own to make a statement, then why should people try to push them? If they did make a statement after the backlash, it wouldn't be sincere.

There's a difference between power and force. Power compels people to do things to affect a situation positively. Force makes people do what they would not normally do and is always met with negative feelings.

If you want Steam to be forced into making a statement, what good is that statement in the end?

kiphalfton

it's one thing if a company decides to take a stance in the matter by its own volition, but i think it's absurd to pretend they do, especially when you really only want to hear what they have to say (assuming a company can have an opinion since it's not a person) only if they agree with you.

no matter how one stand on the whole BLM movement, i think it's absurd to force someone to take a stance knowing that you are going to try and punish them if you don't like the answer

It's simply entitlement. If they don't get what they want, they bitch and moan about it. That's just how people are, though I think there are varying degrees (this guy being an extreme case).

If they don't feel compelled on their own to make a statement, then why should people try to push them? If they did make a statement after the backlash, it wouldn't be sincere.

There's a difference between power and force. Power compels people to do things to affect a situation positively. Force makes people do what they would not normally do and is always met with negative feelings.

If you want Steam to be forced into making a statement, what good is that statement in the end?

Well then its worse this way. If they cant take 5 minutes out of their busy lives to have a popup appear as you login acknowledging it, then it means they dont give a fuck. Which to me, sends a much worse message.

A store as big and influential with teens and young adults as Steam should absolutely acknowledge it, PERIOD.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Logic is lost on the stupid.

Personally I think it's ridiculous all these companies are giving statements, as I know they very likely aren't genuine... but I understand why they are doing so (they don't want to deal with the backlash from overly emotional employees). Where were all these companies before all this broke out? Maybe they were working in the background, contributing to these causes, but I doubt it. I feel bad for people who genuinely were invested in BLM before all this, as the idiots trying to take advantage of all this stuff that's happened are making a mockery of it.

kiphalfton

Well then its worse this way. If they cant take 5 minutes out of their busy lives to have a popup appear as you login acknowledging it, then it means they dont give a fuck. Which to me, sends a much worse message.

A store as big and influential with teens and young adults as Steam should absolutely acknowledge it, PERIOD.

Doing something just for the sake of doing it and to placate the masses is a ridiculous reason to do something. You must live your life in regret, if that's the mentality you have, as doing things for the wrong reasons never has a good outcome.

And it's not about taking 5 minutes out of your day. It's called having principles. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. That goes both ways. The fact these zealots expect everybody to bow to them and their expectations is absolutely ridiculous.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So I looked into this a bit further. The game in the OP (First Winter) has around 4,500 owners on Steam. It's priced currently at $3.99 but I'd suspect that over half of those bought the game at it's sale price of 50% off - $1.99. So let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt here. Working under that assumption, and considering Valve's 30% cut, this game will have made approximately $9,418.50 over it's lifetime of sales. This is also being incredibly generous, considering the game was on itch.io originally for $0.99 and it appears that some Steam owners bought it there and were given keys - not sure on this. Also incredibly generous considering that for all I know, 90% of the games sales could have come from it being 50% off.

Either way - the game has been out for 25 months. That would bring the average monthly total out to just a maximum of $376.74. Keep in mind this is the average total - some months would be more (like probably during the Summer Sale when it was 50% off) but other months would be WAY, WAY less. The number of sales, the price of the game in question, these things do not add up to generating a consistent revenue stream that is anywhere near $1,000 a month.

Dude is being incredibly generous with his use of the ~ sign here.
It's PR, isn't that obviously. A some which attract a lot of people for free.

kiphalfton

Thing is, Valve specifically didn't say anything... to placate the masses.

Is it still just as stupid to you?

Not saying anything is a problem why? That's the point of this whole thread.

Whether they say something or not, unless it's in line with what this guy or others expect, there will be outrage. In that case it's just better to stay quiet than say anything. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Top Bottom