• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers remove games from Steam over Valve's Black Lives Matter silence

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Valve does not cave. I'm fine with companies putting out statements of their own volition (although I think it's a bunch of cynical pandering nonsense in most cases), this kind of "silence is violence" rhetoric and demanding that people bend the knee is some dangerous shit that must not be abided.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's great if a company puts out a statement. Although, honestly, I believe it's only ever done for the sake of marketing and self preservation.

I do not care if a company does not put out a statement.

To suggest that if a company does not put out a statement it means they support any injustice is psychopathic.

Dory16

Banned
You're right..

Democrat Good Republican BAD yay!
I don't think there are good people on both sides of whether the lives of a group of people matter.
Even Playstation put out a tweet in support of their "black creators" (not sure they ever even acknowledged the existence of such a thing ever before). Out of nowhere I saw 2 black guys introduce a Sony game at an event for the first time in my life. Those things matter. An unbelievable number of black kids watch Playstation reveals and seeing is is believing.

Gabe Newell missed a great opportunity to prove that he cares about more than just calories and Steam sales.

Last edited:

Arkam

They want to leave because everyone won't agree with their thoughts and actions....

iu

DeeDogg_

Banned
I don't think there are good people of both sides of whether the lives of a group of people matter.
Even Playstation put out a tweet in support of their "black creators" (not sure they ever even acknowledged the existence of such a thing ever before). Out of nowhere I saw 2 black guys introduce a Sony game at an event for the first time in my life. Those things matter. An unbelievable number of black kids watch Playstation reveals and seeing is is believing.

Gabe Newell missed a great opportunity to prove that he cares about more than just calories and Steam sales.
no ones arguing whether black lives matter or not get out of la la land. You think Valve doesnt know that they matter? Or do they need to post some generic black square on twitter to get your support? I mean thats what all the other big corporations that dont care are doing to shut idiots up

And people like you (panderers I like to call them) need to quit that weird ideology that black kids are born discouraged because of their race. This isnt the 1880s. Im a black man and as a kid I NEVER needed to see a black cartoonist, news anchor, astronaut, etc. on a screen to inspire me that I could do anything because I was born and raised to value myself and know my worth not to be a victim. So no, It doesnt "matter"

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
These fucking white allies holy shit will you people just shut the fuck up I’m white too please for the love of god or whatever brand you worship shut the ever living fuck up
Sometimes I feel that the BLM cause is becoming a temporal PR move that people want to take advantage of because it’s super trending now in the US (and several parts of the world).
I mean it’s a movement supported by Amazon and Citibank. That tells you how serious about real change it is.

Citibank

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Bye bitch.

I like how a big journalistic entity is picking up this irrelevant developer and story, and trying to turn it into a thing. Media that didn't hate you, and create their own news, as opposed to reporting it, who else remembers?

Also, I became a Valve fan today. Stellar work, staying out of the mess. That's what an entertainment company is supposed to do. No matter the slimy ways you find to justify it, entertainment is for everyone, not a mouthpiece for your personal (identity) politics.

radewagon

Wow.... There's probably a few out there who would probably consider me an SJW cause reasons.

To preface, I 100% agree with the BLM movement. I want to see positive change that results in it not being okay for law enforcement to straight murder people. It's insane that we've got a bunch of racist Judge Dredds out there ignoring due process.

That said....

I simply do not care what Valve's opinion on the matter is. Really, of all the people that could make a statement about this, why would anyone care what a digital marketplace owner says about it? I'd like some police unions to start showing support. That would mean something. But Valve? Valve?

Stories like this are why SJW is a term of derision.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
no ones arguing whether black lives matter or not get out of la la land. You think Valve doesnt know that they matter? Or do they need to post some generic black square on twitter to get your support? I mean thats what all the other big corporations that dont care are doing to shut idiots up

And people like you (panderers I like to call them) need to quit that weird ideology that black kids are born discouraged because of their race. This isnt the 1880s. Im a black man and as a kid I NEVER needed to see a black cartoonist, news anchor, astronaut, etc. on a screen to inspire me that I could do anything because I was born and raised to value myself and know my worth not to be a victim. So no, It doesnt "matter"

Sony believes representation matters. It is not a coincidence if the 2 guys who introduced Kena showed up in this reveal.
Your opinion is just a valuable and has been heard.
As for Valve, don't patronise them by speaking on their behalf. They have all the means to tell us what matters to them and so far we've only heard it from you.
I think we can leave it there.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Wow.... There's probably a few out there who would probably consider me an SJW cause reasons.

To preface, I 100% agree with the BLM movement. I want to see positive change that results in it not being okay for law enforcement to straight murder people. It's insane that we've got a bunch of racist Judge Dredds out there ignoring due process.

That said....

I simply do not care what Valve's opinion on the matter is. Really, of all the people that could make a statement about this, why would anyone care what a digital marketplace owner says about it? I'd like some police unions to start showing support. That would mean something. But Valve? Valve?

Stories like this are why SJW is a term of derision.

I disagree with your politics, but I respect you.

If more were like you, things would be a lot better.

DeeDogg_

Banned
Sony believes representation matters. It is not a coincidence if the 2 guys who introduced Kena showed up in this reveal.
Your opinion is just a valuable and has been heard.
As for Valve, don't patronise them by speaking on their behalf. They have all the means to tell us what matters to them and so far we've only heard it from you.
I think we can leave it there.

Everyone believes in representation when it’s convenient for them or when it’s trending on twitter. I for one am not so gullible so weak cheap PR statements from megacorp a don’t mean a shit to me. And Valve isn’t obligated to make a statement on anything

Dory16

Banned
Everyone believes in representation when it’s convenient for them or when it’s trending on twitter. I for one am not so gullible so weak cheap PR statements from megacorp a don’t mean a shit to me. And Valve isn’t obligated to make a statement on anything
You may have missed that the decision of this developer had nothing to do with you or what you believe. And I already said that your opinion had been heard for what it's worth.
Valve has the right not to issue a statement and this developer has the right to take his games where he wants and say what he thinks about Valve ignoring the issue.
Doing something against the status quo is the exact opposite of victimhood. Sad that you don't know the difference.

I took you up on that. It does not help your position.

It actually does. Go back and read the convo, Einstein.

So "there are good people on both sides" like in Charlottesville?
why did you quote that? Who said those words?
the current US president.
Lol, no he didn't. If you're going to take something out of context at least get the quote, right.

IYpySLv.png

White silence is violence they say... Well, they don't want to take part in violent actions. I understand so do I, this is why I don't riot among other things.

kretos

Banned
This clown reminded me when George Costanza quit his job, couple of weeks and he might beg Steam to put his games back there

Top Bottom