• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers explain how adaptive triggers and haptic feedback to provide new game experiences on PS5.

Elysion

Banned
So those adaptive triggers can make it feel like you’re actually pulling a trigger on a gun? You know, where at first there’s light resistance, until you hit a barrier, and you have to pull the trigger further, until suddenly – boom?

Because that would be pretty awesome; it’s something I’ve been waiting for since the days of the Wiimote. I wonder if those haptics and rumble motors are also able to simulate some kind of physical recoil; that would be even better.

Now that I think about it, I wish Sony would launch the PS5 with a hybrid controller that can be used either as a traditional controller, or be broken up into two motion controllers (like the Switch, or that Sony patent from several years ago). A motion controller with those kinds of haptics would be excellent, especially when Sony eventually releases their next gen PS VR, since everyone would already have the right controller from day one. As things stand right now, they’ll have to release an entirely new motion controller alongside PS VR2, which will make the whole thing even more expensive.

Aceofspades

Banned
I wonder why so much negativity toward sony ? 👀👀👀😂😂😂

gOJIyt3.jpg

For how many years now? 20? Lol

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Sounds like a gimmick, not really interested in any of it. Only type of feedback I tolerate in gaming is when I use a wheel for racing games and I use force feedback.

Games with high amounts of rumbling (i know its not the same) make my hands hurt a lot after a few days of long playing sessions, at some point I thought I was developing carpal tunnel syndrome. A friend recommended I turn off rumble in my games and my hands haven't hurt once since, despite playing a lot.

Last edited:

Fnord

I have, in my head, an expectation of what this should feel like. I hope it can match that expectation. I'm not expecting it to, but I hope it does.

Edit: It just occurred to me that this might make up for (and surpass) the loss of analog buttons on the PlayStation controller. Sure, not a lot of developers utilized it, but I loved it when they did.

Last edited:

Fnord

Sounds like a gimmick, not really interested in any of it. Only type of feedback I tolerate in gaming is when I use a wheel for racing games and I use force feedback.

That's exactly what I'm expecting, just via triggers rather than a wheel. The bow and arrow analogy is what put that thought in my head. Pulling back on a bow causing more resistance on the trigger the farther back it's pulled sounds fantastic.

Kokoloko85

I wonder why so much negativity toward sony ? 👀👀👀😂😂😂

gOJIyt3.jpg

Wait till they find out it was actually Microsoft that put the final nails in Sega’s coffin.

I too hated the PS2 for killing my Dreamcast. I still bought it when Onimusha came out <3 and loved it like my own lol

Last edited:

DogofWar

Sounds interesting, wish I could justify buying the PS5 during launch day but alas... Studies + work + family get in the way of video gaming.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Exciting for developers to have new avenues to explore with regard to player feedback. Sony will definitely push for a lot of utilization for the first wave of titles, time will tell if it is successful. Adding new features is much appreciated!

tillbot8

Banned
Sounds very cool, hopefully it's utilized properly and a lot of games will implement it. DS4 speaker and touchpad was mostly DOA after the first few games that came out!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Imagine mixing that with Vr. It will be immersive as fuck

In VR, the DualSense controller maybe the greatest "non" motion controller on planet EARTH! All these features are 100% perfection in VR.

Then we are left with only Sony exclusives using it.

That sounds good to me. If 1st party games and a few 3rd party exclusives used it then I'd be 100% happy about that.

Last edited:

RaySoft

What, shooting a gun in vr will feel more immersive while holding a traditional twin handle game controller? May as well be the n64 trident for all i care.
It's the fact that the framework is there. You could use other VR controllers that then can utilize the same tech, wich they couldn't have done if there were no framework for it.

freefornow

Gold Member
When the gun jams, how many will continue to force the trigger? That resistance has to come from somewhere. Potential damage to internal mechanism??

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
We can also turn the simple act of pulling a lever to open a gate into a sensory experience

I have counted the days... finally, it's happening!

I remember how "revolutionary" the DS4 was going to be. But I can't remember how "revolutionary" it was. It fucking sucked. Well.... at least from an ergonomic standpoint.

Top Bottom