• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer Sperasoft joins Halo Infinite development effort.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
dc4a2572cd1c8e64585c03ffbdfa7051.jpg

martino

i will say it again without a gif and more explanation to not upset sensible people
i don't know how to react to this news.
it's good they fix things.
at the same time it's bad they need help for that at this point of developement and release window.
(i hope i will not get banned from another ot for a neutral reaction)

ZehDon

Gold Member
1. Because I project manage tech developments of all sorts of businesses. Adding developers late in the project is a bad sign, if they worked on it previously under contract why press release now? It's a PR backfire at best.

2. Shouldn't have been done given the timing.

3. Crunch isn't just a gaming specific thing, it's literally any IT project where dev/design, code and test is involved. Gaming just made it fashionable to report on and being a buzzword. 343 could have avoided this by communicating better and with more specificity e.g. more testers inbound, more art assistance etc. Just going with "development mandates" and what appears to be bringing third party devs into a team already known to have ballooned on Halo games before from 400-700+ shows me they're needing specific talents or are attempting to brute force with more staff. It points to being behind on development, poor testing time allocated for launch, lack of transparent communication (343 have touted and worked on for years). There isn't much time left, take the last day of NOV for launch and we see 2 months and 3 weeks remaining for useful work essentially, why? because the game has to go gold weeks/1 month prior to launch to get discs manufactured and shipped around the world. What is not standard practice for the industry is to announce your contractors for crunch time, nobody does that when things are going normal and smooth. Further 343 is known for actively avoiding crunch and having "healthy" work practices.

You can't honestly think it's good PR or good development lifecycle practice to bring in more external staff in month number 57/58 of 60 total (being 5 years in development, current date and launch date assumed for last day of NOV). As I stated in my last reply, it's great for GaaS and post release updates, it's shite for going gold and launch day quality though.

IMO Halo Infinite's development is in a dark place. I hope they pull a Halo 2 that was also in deep dark development hell and turned out to be the best Halo game I ever played; both campaign and multiplayer. Multiplayer shat the bed at launch for H2 and it took a good 6 months to really find its footing, does no one remember the broken live system, rampant cheaters, modders etc. 343 was already behind for years with a new platform introduction, Covid hit and now they're pushing for launch.
1. Then you should know that outsourced and collaborative development efforts of this magnitude are months in the making. As you'll well know, companies that operate on contractual work begin negotiations and preparations for their jobs months, if not years, in advance. This isn't two programmers from Fiver. This is a massive scale development house for hire. Rarely, if ever, can a large scale contractor of this size take on a top-tier, large-scale project on comparatively no notice. How can they, given how they need to operate? So, given this, and given that they've worked on the project already, what evidence do you have that contracting out for this specific stretch wasn't the plan all along? It's not uncommon by any metric - especially if you know of Microsoft's policies.
2. So, "because I said so"? Sorry friend, you'll need more than that. Any development house tapping into a huge profile project like this is going to want to make sure their efforts are known. Now is the only right time for the press release.
3. 343i could have avoided... what, exactly? Give me specifics. The hypothetical crunch that I alluded to in my post, that may or may not exist? The made-up scenario in people's heads that the only part of the game that exists is the demo? That "Development in a dark place" based on... what? You're jumping to conclusions built off of assumptions. The simple fact is no one but those directly involved know the specifics - and everything we do know says this is just as likely a contractual agreement made well in advance as it is the apocalyptic hail marry by 343i and Microsoft that you seem to want it to be. In reality, it doesn't point to anything other than what the press release states: contractual labour has been brought in to assist on the project. The only reason this is making the rounds is because it feeds the narrative many are pushing, including yourself: 343i are incompetent and Infinite is on fire. I'll shit on 343i all day for the balls they've actually dropped. As of right now, they haven't dropped the Infinite ball, and we won't know if they have until launch day.

I'll divorce your disingenuous linking of "good PR" to "good development", as it damn well should be, and focus on the latter. Typical application development lifecycle practice dictates that the amount of work per development phase can vary the number of participants within that phase. You need more people for fullscale development than pre-production, and potentially more still for final round of QA if the QA overlaps with the final push of fullscale development. Typically, for game development, your team is the fattest right before the master cutoff. Game development 101. So, if 343i believe the polish and QA phase of the game's development requires more effort than their inhouse can provide and have undertaken contractual labour to achieve that goal, I see nothing wrong, nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly nothing alarming, with that approach. You think Halo Infinite's development is in a dark place... despite not knowing anything at all about its development except a press release. Me - I just think Halo Infinite is in development... because it is, and that's all we know.

When Press Sneak Fuck drops a tell all that paints a different picture of Infinite's development, I'll happily go along with a different narrative.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This late in the cycle? Panic stations.

Should have got Ubisoft farcry team imho.
Nope, this is just an article now, but they've been doing this since 2019. So it's not late, they've been hired a long time ago.

Definitely might be launched janky but playable. Phil dropped the ball on this one, that crossgen stuff is going to bite him on the ass.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nope, this is just an article now, but they've been doing this since 2019. So it's not late, they've been hired a long time ago.

1.) it does not make it better news (especially a PR to supposedly re state facts that have not changed since 2019: did the contract and mandate change? If yes why? If not why send a PR out now?)

2.) you may want to see if you can find a quote that does not tie ME: Andromeda and animations ;)... although are they the ones called in to try to fix that a bit?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
1. Then you should know that outsourced and collaborative development efforts of this magnitude are months in the making. As you'll well know, companies that operate on contractual work begin negotiations and preparations for their jobs months, if not years, in advance. This isn't two programmers from Fiver. This is a massive scale development house for hire. Rarely, if ever, can a large scale contractor of this size take on a top-tier, large-scale project on comparatively no notice. How can they, given how they need to operate? So, given this, and given that they've worked on the project already, what evidence do you have that contracting out for this specific stretch wasn't the plan all along? It's not uncommon by any metric - especially if you know of Microsoft's policies.
2. So, "because I said so"? Sorry friend, you'll need more than that. Any development house tapping into a huge profile project like this is going to want to make sure their efforts are known. Now is the only right time for the press release.
3. 343i could have avoided... what, exactly? Give me specifics. The hypothetical crunch that I alluded to in my post, that may or may not exist? The made-up scenario in people's heads that the only part of the game that exists is the demo? That "Development in a dark place" based on... what? You're jumping to conclusions built off of assumptions. The simple fact is no one but those directly involved know the specifics - and everything we do know says this is just as likely a contractual agreement made well in advance as it is the apocalyptic hail marry by 343i and Microsoft that you seem to want it to be. In reality, it doesn't point to anything other than what the press release states: contractual labour has been brought in to assist on the project. The only reason this is making the rounds is because it feeds the narrative many are pushing, including yourself: 343i are incompetent and Infinite is on fire. I'll shit on 343i all day for the balls they've actually dropped. As of right now, they haven't dropped the Infinite ball, and we won't know if they have until launch day.

I'll divorce your disingenuous linking of "good PR" to "good development", as it damn well should be, and focus on the latter. Typical application development lifecycle practice dictates that the amount of work per development phase can vary the number of participants within that phase. You need more people for fullscale development than pre-production, and potentially more still for final round of QA if the QA overlaps with the final push of fullscale development. Typically, for game development, your team is the fattest right before the master cutoff. Game development 101. So, if 343i believe the polish and QA phase of the game's development requires more effort than their inhouse can provide and have undertaken contractual labour to achieve that goal, I see nothing wrong, nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly nothing alarming, with that approach. You think Halo Infinite's development is in a dark place... despite not knowing anything at all about its development except a press release. Me - I just think Halo Infinite is in development... because it is, and that's all we know.

When Press Sneak Fuck drops a tell all that paints a different picture of Infinite's development, I'll happily go along with a different narrative.

Does not matter when the negotiations started, it matters when the extra man power is brought in, which part of the development stage (reports coming out that there were too many contractors already and the problems it was causing came our way before this PR btw), etc...

Adding people to a project is something that can slow down a team as they readjust and may even create bottlenecks initially as the practices/processes developed meet a breaking point , communications issues, and more can lead to clusterf86ks that can block the studio or at best just severely hamper productivity. Again, my job is to manage software teams and delivery in a non small tech org (coming from a SWE position then TL before that), I have seen it get worse before it gets good when you add new people.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
1.) it does not make it better news (especially a PR to supposedly re state facts that have not changed since 2019: did the contract and mandate change? If yes why? If not why send a PR out now?)

2.) you may want to see if you can find a quote that does not tie ME: Andromeda and animations ;)... although are they the ones called in to try to fix that a bit?
1) Maybe just more people, or the contract was one year long and they renewed it?
2) Because no studio can get better at their work... Andromeda is 3 years old.

But no wonder you think this is "bad" news.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to delay it, cancel the XO version, then once it's actually finished, take Halo away from the studio and let the franchise rest, at least until one of their other first party teams comes up with an absolutely killer idea for it.

I'd give 343 one chance to make a new IP that isn't shite, then shut them if they still can't manage to make a good game, even without any constraints.

Last edited:

Clearly we disagree, old or new balls dropping. I see the 2 years ago teasers that were in engine targets wildly different to the in engine gameplay of last month, none of which were running on a XSX or XSX dev kit, all confirmed on PC. We know key studio heads left at the same time, that's not a good sign for a project that should have vision and passion throughout. We know every single game release of 343 has lacked content, been broken for some and has taken years to sustain via GaaS style development. To suggest I don't base my own perspective on things from direct observations to false.

Your idea that Sperasoft has been working with them for a long time is also false. The article quoted below is from July 2019 and uses terms such as "will" not "is", Sperasoft wasn't yet working with 343 during middle of last year. They were predominately hired for mocap and other small elements. So we can see late 2019 they did some work, now we have a new press release for them to work again, not just extend their work but multiple mandates (generic term, hiding any real insight to the new collaboration requirements). That's all I need to read into when/what/who/why of this development being behind and that Sperasoft don't have the experience with 343 or a new Halo engine that perhaps the previous 4 years could have provided them with. Covid has already been stated by MS/Xbox as PR damage control as well. Everyone seems to think 3 months of dev time means a lot. What of the 4+ years to date, they've factually demonstrated the teaser to gameplay is nowhere near the same quality.

You should also know outsourcing your work takes longer to get incoming talent up to speed, engine/code/design/testing etc. You should also realise the majority of this time is during Covid as well, not exactly easy to do remotely. Sperasoft hasn't worked on Halo before at all, so to herald them like some saviour company that just sweeps in on a "massive scale", as you put it, is utopian levels of ideal development.

I still want the game to be good, I'll play the shit out of any Halo game but right now the gamer and working professional in me knows better. 343 shot themselves in the foot again so far, it's on them to prove that false going forward. How about some other metrics?

• MCC was their previous heavily outsourced game, literally a broken piece of shit that took years to correct.
  • I love bees commenced 5 months prior to Halo 2 game release.
  • Halo 3 public beta was 7 months in advance of game release, live action trailers for Halo 3 were 3 months before release.
  • Marketing for Halo 4 kicked off 6 months prior to game release.
  • Hunt the Truth commenced 7 months prior to Halo 5 game release.
  • There have been zero ViDocs apart from some sound bites for Halo Infinite.
You get the picture, the development isn't going well IMO.

So 343i can admit (albeit indirectly) that the game isn't in the best state, but you still have xbox fanboys online who have been defending this like their life depends on it?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
1) Maybe just more people, or the contract was one year long and they renewed it?
2) Because no studio can get better at their work... Andromeda is 3 years old.

But no wonder you think this is "bad" news.

Oh yeah, it is a SonyGAF conspiracy... :rolleyes:. C’mon man...

ripeavocado

Banned
Imagine how fucked up development must be to have so many studios and people helping on a single game that has been in development for many years.

Yes it's open world but no way that it's going to be as complex as GTA or an open world RPG (And both games usually have fucked up management and horror stories of crunch as well)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, it is a SonyGAF conspiracy... :rolleyes:. C’mon man...
No, because you are a Sony fanboy. Not the whole community. This isn't news to you, right? I'm an Xbox fanboy, obviously, so I'll look at things with pink goggles on. There's really nothing wrong with them getting another studio to help out. But you are trying to spin it into something bad, as if the people of that studio are shit at their job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razvedka

Banned
Whoa. This is extreme mismanagement and it sounds like 343i just isn't capable. "The Mythical Man Month" springs to mind here, and it must be in BAD shape if MS is taking this approach. Clearly MS knows adding new people to a project tends to slow it down and make it worse, so yeah ... Kiiiiiinda shocking.

It genuinely amazing how old the case is for the Mythical Man Month yet how it still persists. A literal case study in the chronic inability of 'leadership' to manage people effectively on a project.

Along similar lines, it took Covid for 'business leaders' to realize what the data has shown for years: remote working is pretty effective and saves tons of money. It's amazing how stuck in their ways people become, to the point where they're not even willing to consider change no matter how much better an alternative solution appears to be based on the research or even the real world practice.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They spent $500 million on this game? For real? And that was what they had to show for it.

Damn. Why does MS keep 343 around? They seem like a money sink.

Sony

Nintendo
They have been involved since last year, this isn't new. I don't know why they suddenly decided to do a press-release.

Last edited:

NXGamer

Its the same engine?
NXGamer NXGamer did you get some insider knowledge that the engine is infact the same engine?
Because, im pretty sure 343i said its a new engine.....were they lying or were you assuming its the same engine because it doesnt look better than their last engine?
As i covered in my video on this, the signs of everything point to the same engine, if not they have spent a great deal of time to limit themselves from the legacy of the old one. I discussed this in that video but have a full analysis of it coming this weekend.

Also, you only have to recall what was said about Halo 5 and It's "ground up new engine" close to launch of that, such as this:-

Xbox One utilizes Xbox Live Cloud Compute (built on the Microsoft Azure cloud platform), which enables speed and computing muscle once unimaginable in gaming. “This was our chance to rewrite the game engine from the ground up and make some big creative bets,” said Holmes. “We decided to make the most robust campaign and multiplayer experience ever created.”

This is nothing new, PR is PR it needs to happen and does in all companies, but never take it as fact if you have repeats before, as we now know the above is not true and they admitted post launch that the tech debt was high and they did not allow the team to re-write the Halo 5 engine.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
ITT: people claiming doom and gloom and that halo is in development he’ll because they just brought this team in with 3 months to release

Not ITT: the fact that this studio has also been working on halo infinite for at least the last 8 months lol

well done guys. Concern trolling at its best.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
As i covered in my video on this, the signs of everything point to the same engine, if not they have spent a great deal of time to limit themselves from the legacy of the old one. I discussed this in that video but have a full analysis of it coming this weekend.

Also, you only have to recall what was said about Halo 5 and It's "ground up new engine" close to launch of that, such as this:-

This is nothing new, PR is PR it needs to happen and does in all companies, but never take it as fact if you have repeats before, as we now know the above is not true and they admitted post launch that the tech debt was high and they did not allow the team to re-write the Halo 5 engine.

<- Patiently waits for new video.

But if it really is just an extension of the same engine why bother telling us its a new engine?
If they used a bunch of legacy parts but had worked on alot of new lines would that not constitute calling it a new engine, considering they even went out of their way to give it a name.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Which AAA game announced third-party janitors coming in to "help" just after a massive PR failure? The field of applicable AAA games shrinks considerably.
They are already helping since 2019... Try to keep up

Black_Stride

Which AAA game announced third-party janitors coming in to "help" just after a massive PR failure? The field of applicable AAA games shrinks considerably.

None come to mind but you tell me, maybe Call of Duty 2020 but it was an internal team who took over so I guess not that.
I dont know clue me in.

Because, Sperasoft have been working with 343i on this game for a very very long time just like every AAA dev has outsourced talent working on stuff.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
They are already helping since 2019... Try to keep up
Woah a whole year? For a AAA launch title that has been rumored to be going through dev troubles from the beginning? From a studio that has troubles with every Halo game it touches?

Yeah, I'll try to keep up. You've got the goalposts on a flatbed truck :messenger_dizzy:

None come to mind but you tell me, maybe Call of Duty 2020 but it was an internal team who took over so I guess not that.
I dont know clue me in.

Because, Sperasoft have been working with 343i on this game for a very very long time just like every AAA dev has outsourced talent working on stuff.
Why announce what has already been announced a year ago? Look, if you want to have blind faith in 343i and Microsoft's mismgmt of the Halo IP, by all means. Go ahead. I know how it feels to have faith in a franchise beyond all hope, but the writing has been on the wall for several years, for several games.

Keep that glorious torch burning, just don't get upset when bystanders ask why you're cupping your hand in front of a low-fuel zippo.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Woah a whole year? For a AAA launch title that has been rumored to be going through dev troubles from the beginning? From a studio that has troubles with every Halo game it touches?
Ah rumors... This isn't the politics section of the forum, we work with facts here.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ah rumors... This isn't the politics section of the forum, we work with facts here.
The announcement can be read on the site:

And 343i acknowledged less than a week ago that they have "work to do" to polish up the game. Both of these facts are available in the OP.

So which is it? Is 343i working to improve the game before launch and correct issues?

Or are those issues totally imaginary and Sony Ponies are just trolling the sacrosanct Halo brand?

A quick glance over the thread shows me you've been tirelessly handwaving, so I don't expect anything I say will turn that trend around.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apparently even sony had contracted Sperasoft for developing its games. So, time to move on ?
SonyToo™ lives eternal.

They have been involved since 2019. Cant believe people ignored it on the first page, so I will post it again
tfS1p7e.png
Can't beleive people ignore the content of the article they keep referencing from 2019:

Sperasoft will take care of the motion capture and participate in the realization of the levels.

So they're going to work on motion capture and build up the levels.... a few months before release? Oh right, GAAS.

Black_Stride

Why announce what has already been announced a year ago? Look, if you want to have blind faith in 343i and Microsoft's mismgmt of the Halo IP, by all means. Go ahead. I know how it feels to have faith in a franchise beyond all hope, but the writing has been on the wall for several years, for several games.

Keep that glorious torch burning, just don't get upset when bystanders ask why you're cupping your hand in front of a low-fuel zippo.

Because its something that we(your ilk) can spin into a negative, naturally we would have a thread about it.
Sperasoft work on a ton of games, they dont necessarily have the right to talk about their involvement before a certain date, alot of outsourcing house dont talk about the games they are working on till close to release......as in with Halo Infinite being 4/5 months out.
Sperasoft is also working on AC: Valhalla, there wasnt a thread for that because it isnt really news that we can hate on, but if AC: Valhalla had more drama tied to it or console warriors you can guaragoddamtee there would be a thread about Ubisoft hiring an outsourcing studio.

Look im not downplaying that Infinite graphically isnt up to snuff, im not hiding from that fact, I dont think anyone really thinks graphically Infinite is what we expected from a Halo title graphically especially after Halo 4 lastgen and Halo 5 this gen.
Gameplay wise it looks fine to me, its more Halo...which is all I wanted.
If Sperasoft is putting more work into the rendering side of things I dont see this as anything but a positive.

Im not burning my torch for my own sake.......its mainly to get people like you informed, this isnt news that needs to be spun into a negative and theres a chance you just didnt know this is how AAA development works.....you outsource but keep your outsourcing studios NDA'd till date X.....that date has probably lapsed now for Sperasoft and they can talk about their involvement

nnt5fzf7f8f51.jpg

We dont even know what exactly Sperasoft is working on, but if its on the graphic side of things, im all in.
zl6FyDt.gif

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
SonyToo™ lives eternal.

Can't beleive people ignore the content of the article they keep referencing from 2019:

Sperasoft will take care of the motion capture and participate in the realization of the levels.

So they're going to work on motion capture and build up the levels.... a few months before release? Oh right, GAAS.
2019 is not few months before release.

ITT: people claiming doom and gloom and that halo is in development he’ll because they just brought this team in with 3 months to release

Not ITT: the fact that this studio has also been working on halo infinite for at least the last 8 months lol

well done guys. Concern trolling at its best.

1. Last year and earlier this year was mocap mostly. Taking their PR at face value they only got the new mandates now. How do you know they've even kept continously working since last year.

2. You don't know the start date for Sperasoft last year either, it ain't the article date.

Let us flip to your side of the argument, are you happy with what you saw and know so far? Compared to other Halo releases even?

Now compare it against PC releases and not just consoles. Xbox and 343 target PCs as does game pass. Still think they put a next gen game out in the gameplay reveal?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
2019 is not few months before release.
Your article states they're working on motion capture and level design.

Is that what they are still working on now a few months before release? You tell me. You quoted the article and whined that no one read it. I read it. It says they're doing mocap and level asset creation. Has this changed? You tell me. You quoted the article.

Because its something that we(your ilk) can spin into a negative, naturally we would have a thread about it.
Sperasoft work on a ton of games, they dont necessarily have the right to talk about their involvement before a certain date, alot of outsourcing house dont talk about the games they are working on till close to release......as in with Halo Infinite being 4/5 months out.
Sperasoft is also working on AC: Valhalla, there wasnt a thread for that because it isnt really news that we can hate on, but if AC: Valhalla had more drama tied to it or console warriors you can guaragoddamtee there would be a thread about Ubisoft hiring an outsourcing studio.

Look im not downplaying that Infinite graphically isnt up to snuff, im not hiding from that fact, I dont think anyone really thinks graphically Infinite is what we expected from a Halo title graphically especially after Halo 4 lastgen and Halo 5 this gen.
Gameplay wise it looks fine to me, its more Halo...which is all I wanted.
If Sperasoft is putting more work into the rendering side of things I dont see this as anything but a positive.

Im not burning my torch for my own sake.......its mainly to get people like you informed, this isnt news that needs to be spun into a negative and theres a chance you just didnt know this is how AAA development works.....you outsource but keep your outsourcing studios NDA'd till date X.....that date has probably lapsed now for Sperasoft and they can talk about their involvement

nnt5fzf7f8f51.jpg

We dont even know what exactly Sperasoft is working on, but if its on the graphic side of things, im all in.
zl6FyDt.gif
The persecution complex is getting out of hand. "My ilk". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're contradicting yourself. They announced a year ago they would be helping with motion capture and level design, but at the same time they're announcing this right now because of NDAs expiring? wtf this is hilarious.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The announcement can be read on the site:

And 343i acknowledged less than a week ago that they have "work to do" to polish up the game. Both of these facts are available in the OP.

So which is it? Is 343i working to improve the game before launch and correct issues?

Or are those issues totally imaginary and Sony Ponies are just trolling the sacrosanct Halo brand?

A quick glance over the thread shows me you've been tirelessly handwaving, so I don't expect anything I say will turn that trend around.
Since when is "work to do" development issues. Keep on spinning and try to move the goal post.

Top Bottom