• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer Speaks About Lockhart "Holding Back Next Gen." And PS5 VS XSX Dev Kits.

Keihart

Awww sure they develop games "4 da gamerzzzz" and not for sales... If this thing starts flying off of the shelves, they won't give two fucks about PS5 being more powerful, specially since it's not even the most powerful of the bunch
sure, i didn't say otherwise. What's your point?

Redlight

So you don’t believe in it own OP? Seems like we are in the same page.

Thinking a bit about the OP is very old before MS shows lower hardware holds higher hardware.
You're conflating two completely different things. A game running across two generations is very different to two machines in the same generation. The official info suggests that games will have the resolution scaled down but will otherwise be feature complete. That's what the dev meant when they said 'anything possible on Series X will be possible on Series S'.

The dev makes the point that, in their knowledgeable and professional opinion, the Series S will not hold back games.

I know you don't want to believe it but the OP's source is far more credible than you are.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The dev makes the point that, in their knowledgeable and professional opinion, the Series S will not hold back games.

I know you don't want to believe it but the OP's source is far more credible than you are

On the other side, post HW reveal, we have had far more developers, publicly, stating that what matters is the target spec, the minimum spec and that constrains the final design (the game tends to either be constrained, underutilise the higher end HW, or run like crap on the lower end HW... or a mix of the three).

While the principal developer and the lead engine developer of idtech7 (and others)are Sony shills this one you defer to (and o’dium) speaks in his “knowledgeable and professional opinion”.
sLq9XxU.jpg

Glad his cross generation game that was targeting Xbox One S / XSS / XSX already addressed the problems he had running on XSS (he did not say they were problem free), but the caveat of the game not being a next generation focused game in the first place and already held back / designed with the limitations of Xbox One in mind still applies.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
So if all the doubters are to believed should we see the SX dropping frames and stuttering while the XSX/PS5 breeze through games in DF/NXGamer face offs ?

I thought the comparisons are really going to be boring this gen but i think they're going to be quite interesting. I think from a performance point of view on this site the pressure is on SX and PS5 to perform. XBX is just like yeah a slightly better resolution than whatever PS5 produces . PS5 we got to see how those variable clocks perform and SX can it keep with the other 2 at 1080p.

You're conflating two completely different things. A game running across two generations is very different to two machines in the same generation. The official info suggests that games will have the resolution scaled down but will otherwise be feature complete. That's what the dev meant when they said 'anything possible on Series X will be possible on Series S'.

I know you don't want to believe it but the OP's source is far more credible than you are.

Elog

So if all the doubters are to believed should we see the SX dropping frames and stuttering while the XSX/PS5 breeze through games in DF/NXGamer face offs ?

This is non-sense and you know it.

The point is that any next-gen multiplat will have to run on the minimum spec it is made for. Contrary to common belief most aspects are NOT scalable when creating a game.

Right now you would probably target 4-5 TFLOPs and 6GB VRAM and an HDD as minimum specs for a new game. The XSS is precariously close to those minimum PC specs. 2 years from now - XSS will be the minimum spec that every developer need to consider. Devs are disappointed that they will have to more or less live with current minimum specs for the next 7 years in multiplats. And I understand them.

Not sure if MS would allow them to drop XSS support and only release an XSX game. The next question is if it makes sense for devs to only make a PC and PS5 version of a game. Then the minimum specs would go up by a lot.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So if all the doubters are to believed should we see the SX dropping frames and stuttering while the XSX breeze through games in DF/NXGamer face offs ?

Nice straw man, but no... that is not what people are saying because most games will not be developed to make maximum use of XSX specs and then scaled down to fit the XSS. Unless the XSS tanks on the market. Quite the opposite, minimum common denominator and all that jazz ;).

The point is that any next-gen multiplat will have to run on the minimum spec it is made for. Contrary to common belief most aspects are NOT scalable when creating a game.

Right now you would probably target 4-5 TFLOPs and 6GB VRAM and an HDD as minimum specs for a new game. The XSS is precariously close to those minimum PC specs. 2 years from now - XSS will be the minimum spec that every developer need to consider. Devs are disappointed that they will have to more or less live with current minimum specs for the next 7 years in multiplats. And I understand them.

Not sure if MS would allow them to drop XSS support and only release an XSX game. The next question is if it makes sense for devs to only make a PC and PS5 version of a game. Then the minimum specs would go up by a lot.
You are assuming there would be any significant uptake of either Xbox Series.

Right now, the Xbox narrative is that they are betting on a lot of people wanting to buy a new console, but would want to play games that they could already play with their current gen hardware. And that they are going to spend 300 dollars for a minor amount of improvement and no new games for 2 years.

Nevermind that if those people wanted such upgrades they would have bough a 1X by now, and that they are really better off waiting 2 years more for a price drop and when actual new games come out.

If they already can play all their COD and Fortnite on the machines they already got, and they don't care about buying the best of the best, then why would they even bother upgrading now?

299 is cheap. but not cheap enough compared to what they already own. This is what happens, when the people cheering for the cheaper console, don't actually plan to buy or own that cheaper console. If you assume someone ELSE is going to buy Series S, then nobody else will.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Nice straw man, but no... that is not what people are saying because most games will not be developed to make maximum use of XSX specs and then scaled down to fit the XSS. Unless the XSS tanks on the market. Quite the opposite, minimum common denominator and all that jazz ;).

So it's going to go like this:

-When a game looks and runs good = They sorted out the XsS deficiencies.

-When a game doesn't look so good = Damn XsS, you ruined everything!

I guess Godfall is the first next gen game ruined by the XsS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So it's going to go like this:

-When a game looks and runs good = They sorted out the XsS deficiencies.

-When a game doesn't look so good = Damn XsS, you ruined everything!

I guess Godfall is the first next gen game ruined by the XsS.

:yawn mate, do have your fun and keep scouring the web for people willing to state XSS does not hold XSX back, not going to change the facts that multiple hardware profiles do not make development easier and how minimum common denominators work. Minimum specs matter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
:yawn mate, do have your fun and keep scouring the web for people willing to state XSS does not hold XSX back, not going to change the facts that multiple hardware profiles do not make development easier and how minimum common denominators work. Minimum specs matter.
They've already been developing for Xbox One S/Xbox One X. The difference now is exactly the same between XSS/XSX. They already know what it is to develop for multiple hardware profiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They've already been developing for Xbox One S/Xbox One X. The difference now is exactly the same between XSS/XSX. They already know what it is to develop for multiple hardware profiles.

I know, but it seems like those people that refuse to see the higher end console held back in that scenario (like it happened for PS4 Pro too... developers scale the games up, not down) do not want to see it that way I guess :).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I see a pattern.

I'm just asking the arm-chair developers of Sony GAF how are they going to identify when a game has been hold back by a 4TF machine and when it hasn't.

I mean, if it's such a hold back, it should be pretty apparent, right?

Lol ok... keep believing it is a Sony GAF deep conspiracy or maybe people developing software for a living when they say that scaling things up and covering more than one HW profile is not the same as developing with the higher profile in mind only.

Then again SonyGAF should also know it first hand when they see the amount of PS4 Pro exclusive time developers, first party included, gave to PS4 Pro specific optimisation despite all the GPU advancements, extra memory, faster CPU, etc... provided.

Nope, whether they are GAF posters or lead developers of some of the most scaleable highest performance engines out there... the important thing is to win the argument somewhat or damage control and keep up with MS’s messaging.

We will see how some of the first party games compare across both, but I guess that having the e-peen victory of the faster TFLOPS HW despite it being used to its max or not is what the fan base its after. Apple sells a new thousands pound phone every year on the same basis.

Jon Neu

Banned
Lol ok... keep believing it is a Sony GAF deep conspiracy

That's not what I said, but you use it anyway to not have to answer the question.

Again, Sony GAF claims that the XsS it's going to hold back all multis this gen, even claims that the Xbox exclusives are going to be hold back too and laugh about the 12 teraflops.

And I just want to know how are you going to know when a game is being held back and when it isn't. If it's something so egregious, if it's such a penalty on the development of the game, then the differences between a game which is held back and a game that isn't, should be apparent. We have people saying across all the Xbox Series S threads that "that's how development works". Saying it like if they literally know what is going to happen and what the results are going to be.

It's simply going to be: good looking games/not held back & not so good looking and running games/held back? Is that going to be the narrative?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
That's not what I said, but you use it anyway to not have to answer the question.

Again, Sony GAF claims that the XsS it's going to hold back all multis this gen, even claims that the Xbox exclusives are going to be hold back too and laugh about the 12 teraflops.

And I just want to know how are you going to know when a game is being held back and when it isn't. If it's something so egregious, if it's such a penalty on the development of the game, then the differences between a game which is held back and a game that isn't, should be apparent. We have people saying across all the Xbox Series S threads that "that's how development works". Saying it like if they literally know what is going to happen and what the results are going to be.

It's simply going to be: good looking games/not held back & not so good looking and running games/held back? Is that going to be the narrative?
That’s the thing though, they don’t *want* a way to know if something is “held back” or not, that’s why they’re all on the offensive now getting in front and saying that everything the entire generation is being held back by the series S. Classic manoeuvre so you can never prove them wrong because you can’t prove a negative, and they don’t ever have to actually prove anything, they set the narrative that it’s held back if it’s not a ps exclusive and will parrot it forever. Game on ps5 is worse than on the X? It’s cause it was held back by the S.

I can’t see who you replied to because they are on my ignore list, so I suggest you do the same. Arguing with the zealots is pointless.

Last edited:
You're a known-quantity Sony fanboy on this forum calling verified info made up or a lie purely because it's not being as negative about XSS as you'd like. Grow the fuck up, champ.

Dudes lost in translation, his expressions/sentences drives me nutz if you try to read.

I got some peeps here in NY that speaks Portuguese can set him straight "Schools in Session" type of thing 🤭

I know panic Is setting in when DF puts XSS only VS PS5 head to head and perform better while XsX would just embarrass. It's ok Tommy, just learn to deal with it, that's it..nice and slow, relax..breath. that a boi 🤜🤛

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Your entire line of reasoning centres around hoping that the lack of proof you seek to make sure is apparent is proof of the contrary. Up until you start seeing XSS software really one or two large notches below the XSX aside from resolution and/or running with clear problems you will know the XSS is the lead platform and everything else is scaled up to try to get good usage of XSX after the fact.

Some PS4 Pro games looked better thanks to higher resolution and better textures, but that did not make PS4 Pro the lead platform nor optimally used.

If MS itself tomorrow said XSS was a mistake because it is not allowing XSX to fully spread its wings and decided not to launch it and replace it with a disc less XSX instead you would fall in line and agree with them... ta about SonyGAF hive mind ;).

ZVhqtYp.jpg

(core Id engine developer... a bit hilarious how the easy defence of “they have been paid off by Sony” cannot be sustained anymore as people tried with the UE5 claims)

Last edited:
Two different systems will limit/complicate things for sure.

Weird how people dont see it.

With one system they can just concentrate to it and maximize usage vs output

Two systems and they have to balance between two

And xbox is 1 fast, 1 slow and hundreds of systems from super slow to super fast (PC)

If all xbox games come to PC too, that is much worse as then design goal is some average pc with HDD + old 4core cpu + old GPU.

Xses is least of the problems if pc+hdd combo is still in the equation

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

You'll be surprised how many games you can run below minimum specs and i think SX will be just fine as PS5 seem to be making a point of 4k so if its just resolution thing it will be fine and I'm looking forward to the face off's.

What way do you think they could make a game different on Ps5 and XSX that's not possible on series S ? Genuine question.

Elog

To put some of these things into perspective. Using the Steam hardware survey data and looking at the average TFLOPs for the top 5 GPUs at each time point you get a rough view on where the PC market is (lots of caveats but it is a good rough proxy). Then we can put the console into perspective.

Let's start with the PS4 - 1.8 TFLOPs.

Nov 2013 - Top 5 GPUs on Steam had an average of 0.5 TFLOPs or 29% of the PS4
Jan 2015 - Top 5 GPUs 1,0 TFLOPs - 56% of the PS4
Jan 2016 - Top 5 GPUs 1.4 TFLOPs - 79% of the PS4
Jan 2017 - Top 5 GPUs 1.7 TFLOPs - 95% of the PS4
Jan 2018 - Top 5 GPUs 2.4 TFLOPs - 134% of the PS4

So it took 4 years for a proxy on where the PC market is to surpass the PS4 on paper. You can also see the generational GPU shifts - one in 2014 which doubled the TFLOPs in 12 months and one in 2017 (that later gave rise to the PS4 Pro etc).

Right now we are in such generational GPU shift and it is fair to assume that we will see 50%+ in average TFLOPs on Steam top 5 GPUs compared with today in Jan 2022 (one year after the launch of the new consoles).

As of August 2020 the top 5 GPUs on Steam have an average TFLOPs of 3.6, or in other words XSS will be surpassed by the average PC using this measurement in its first year in the market. That is a BIG difference compared with last generation.

Last edited:

Elog

What way do you think they could make a game different on Ps5 and XSX that's not possible on series S ? Genuine question.

Key is geometry (number of polygons on screen), number of textures (e.g. in CGI movies there are more than 100 textures for a single person model on average) and texture resolution. Requires a good GPU with plenty of VRAM/good I/O to pull off. And that makes more visual difference than whole 4K focus (personally I see very little difference beyond 1600-1800p on a 65 inch TV). More advanced geometry/ more texture diversity/ higher resolution textures however - you see it straight away

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
To put some of these things into perspective. Using the Steam hardware survey data and looking at the average TFLOPs for the top 5 GPUs at each time point you get a rough view on where the PC market is (lots of caveats but it is a good rough proxy). Then we can put the console into perspective.

Let's start with the PS4 - 1.8 TFLOPs.

Nov 2013 - Top 5 GPUs on Steam had an average of 0.5 TFLOPs or 29% of the PS4
Jan 2015 - Top 5 GPUs 1,0 TFLOPs - 56% of the PS4
Jan 2016 - Top 5 GPUs 1.4 TFLOPs - 79% of the PS4
Jan 2017 - Top 5 GPUs 1.7 TFLOPs - 95% of the PS4
Jan 2018 - Top 5 GPUs 2.4 TFLOPs - 134% of the PS4

So it took 4 years for a proxy on where the PC market is to surpass the PS4 on paper. You can also see the generational GPU shifts - one in 2014 which doubled the TFLOPs in 12 months and one in 2017 (that later gave rise to the PS4 Pro etc).

Right now we are in such generational GPU shift and it is fair to assume that we will see 50%+ in average TFLOPs on Steam top 5 GPUs compared with today in Jan 2022 (one year after the launch of the new consoles).

As of August 2020 the top 5 GPUs on Steam have an average TFLOPs of 3.6, or in other words XSS will be surpassed by the average PC using this measurement in its first year in the market. That is a BIG difference compared with last generation.
Wouldn't it be better to compare to the lowest which is XB1 and use the average power of gpu's.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
From a RAM perspective (16 vs 10) l simply cannot fathom how a dev will target Series X first. As far as l can see if you're developing a "next gen" game you will develop on Series S spec first and then add features specific to Series X (time permitting higher quality models, higher quality textures, higher quality raytracing, adjust level of detail, post processing, etc). I don't see this being much different to Xbox One and XBox One X / PS4 and PS4 Pro development today where base spec is king.

However base spec for PS5 is higher so therefore l won't be surprised to see a greater leap in visuals from first party developers on PS5 vs multi-platform. It will be interesting to see how things pan out, this generation is certainly not boring.

Last edited:

Elog

Wouldn't it be better to compare to the lowest which is XB1 and use the average power of gpu's.

One can make the calculation in many ways. it would not change the conclusion though - the PC market first ran away from the last console generation in terms of performance with the success of the Nvidia 10XX cards.

For XSS the Nvidia 10xx cards already beat it in terms of performance and to some extent also when it comes to VRAM.

Azurro

Banned

There is no worse blind man than one that does not want to see.

Yes Jon Neu, we are all just being biased fanboys, even senior developers at id Software. We are all just terrible people ganging up on you and trying to stop you from enjoying your incredible Xbox Series X, that will totally and absolutely be done with it in mind first and then ported down to everything else.

I know you get emotional and people generally do with irrational attitudes, but this isn't healthy for you.

Jon Neu

Banned
There is no worse blind man than one that does not want to see.

Yes Jon Neu, we are all just being biased fanboys, even senior developers at id Software. We are all just terrible people ganging up on you and trying to stop you from enjoying your incredible Xbox Series X, that will totally and absolutely be done with it in mind first and then ported down to everything else.

I know you get emotional and people generally do with irrational attitudes, but this isn't healthy for you.

Another one making himself the victim -while calling me emotional!- without actually adressing the questions.

anothertech

Did this guy actually say they developed for Anaconda first, then lockheart? Cause this is borderlands three. It was developed for a toaster like Xbone first. Not anaconda.

Anyways, lockheart isn't hold ing series X back guys. It's holding the entirety of next gen back for third parties. Think about that.

Every next gen third party game is basically a cross gen game based on 4tf console. Sucks really.

Jon Neu

Banned
Your entire line of reasoning centres around hoping that the lack of proof you seek to make sure is apparent is proof of the contrary. Up until you start seeing XSS software really one or two large notches below the XSX aside from resolution and/or running with clear problems you will know the XSS is the lead platform and everything else is scaled up to try to get good usage of XSX after the fact.

Wait, so you're telling me that the fact that the Series S runs games worse than the Series X not only by resolution, it's going to be the proof that the Series S is holding back the Series X?

That doesn't make any sense. It will actually mean that the Series X is the console being taken care of and the Series S the one receiving shitty ports.

(core Id engine developer... a bit hilarious how the easy defence of “they have been paid off by Sony” cannot be sustained anymore as people tried with the UE5 claims)

omawmVM.png

Well, we have Matt from Restera (a normally trusted guy for Sony fans) saying that the people who believe that the Series S it's going to hold back all next gen games are deluded.

Azurro

Banned
Another one making himself the victim -while calling me emotional!- without actually adressing the questions.

You know that arguing endlessly with strawmen doesn't actually change the facts we have been repeating to you again and again, right? At one point it's just evident you are too emotional about your favorite brand and can't see things objectively. Can I ask you how old you are?

Jon Neu

Banned
You know that arguing endlessly with strawmen doesn't actually change the facts we have been repeating to you again and again, right? At one point it's just evident you are too emotional about your favorite brand and can't see things objectively. Can I ask you how old you are?

Ironic how you are calling me emotional at the same time that you try so hard to make this personal. I don't know why you have your feelings so up in a bunch, but I really don't care about your childish ad hominems.

If you can adress the topic of the thread instead of being so obsessed about me, that would be neat.

Azurro

Banned
Ironic how you are calling me emotional at the same time that you try so hard to make this personal. I don't know why you have your feelings so up in a bunch, but I really don't care about your childish ad hominems.

If you can adress the topic of the thread instead of being so obsessed about me, that would be neat.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to insult you. However, it's kind of evident the points stated publically by very reputable people and the explanations by people that have a bit of experience here are simply not getting through to you. So, it's evident the information is just not passing along, and that's usually because some emotional barrier exists, you feel your favorite console is being attacked, which is the reaction people have about a pet, for example.

And also it's usually children or teens that react much more emotionally about their hobbies, that's why I'm asking how old you are.

I'm just trying to understand why the information is not getting through to you.

Jon Neu

Banned
However, it's kind of evident the points stated publically by very reputable people and the explanations by people that have a bit of experience here are simply not getting through to you.

Seems to me they aren't getting to you neither.

omawmVM.png

And again, you were the one arguing that what the MS dev said is not going to happen, despite the MS dev being obviously much more respected and with a lot more experience than anyone in this forum. Specially when it comes to talk about the consoles he designed.

You all are stubbornly claiming that no games are going to be made for the Series X and then ported down to the Series S because "ThAtS nOt HoW DeVeLoPmEnT wOrKs!". Despite you know, someone with much more credentials in game development telling you otherwise. Well, that and the history of game development in which plenty of ports from stronger platforms to weaker ones have been made all the time.

But you all still in the outcry that the Series S it's going to hold back next gen, and I just want to know how is that going to be materialized. You all seem so sure, so I just want to be given examples, I want to know when are we going to see a game held back and when are we going to look at a game that isn't.

Last edited:

Redlight

On the other side, post HW reveal, we have had far more developers, publicly, stating that what matters is the target spec, the minimum spec and that constrains the final design (the game tends to either be constrained, underutilise the higher end HW, or run like crap on the lower end HW... or a mix of the three).

While the principal developer and the lead engine developer of idtech7 (and others)are Sony shills this one you defer to (and o’dium) speaks in his “knowledgeable and professional opinion”.
sLq9XxU.jpg

Glad his cross generation game that was targeting Xbox One S / XSS / XSX already addressed the problems he had running on XSS (he did not say they were problem free), but the caveat of the game not being a next generation focused game in the first place and already held back / designed with the limitations of Xbox One in mind still applies.
Your very much guilty of the thing you're accusing me of, which is pretty standard form.

I haven't dismissed the opinions of the guy you quoted. At the very least it's a situation of developers with varying opinions on the same issue. You choose to believe the very worst scenario because you want to. To me it seems uncertain so I'll remain optimistic until the results are in.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

Some PS4 Pro games looked better thanks to higher resolution and better textures, but that did not make PS4 Pro the lead platform nor optimally used.

If MS itself tomorrow said XSS was a mistake because it is not allowing XSX to fully spread its wings and decided not to launch it and replace it with a disc less XSX instead you would fall in line and agree with them... ta about SonyGAF hive mind ;).

ZVhqtYp.jpg

Doesn't matter since some PC'S are even weaker

Azurro

Banned
Seems to me they aren't getting to you neither.

omawmVM.png

And again, you were the one arguing that what the MS dev said is not going to happen, despite the MS dev being obviously much more respected and with a lot more experience than anyone in this forum. Specially when it comes to talk about the consoles he designed.

You all are stubbornly claiming that no games are going to be made for the Series X and then ported down to the Series S because "ThAtS nOt HoW DeVeLoPmEnT wOrKs!". Despite you know, someone with much more credentials in game development telling you otherwise. Well, that and the history of game development in which plenty of ports from stronger platforms to weaker ones have been made all the time.

But you all still in the outcry that the Series S it's going to hold back next gen, and I just want to know how is that going to be materialized. You all seem so sure, so I just want to be given examples, I want to know when are we going to see a game held back and when are we going to look at a game that isn't.

You don't understand that quote that you posted. He is actually supporting what we are sayings the design is constrained by the lowest common denominator while increasing values of parameters for the higher end versions.

I mean, at this point you are basically a child going "nah nah nah it's not true!!!". What would you like me to tell you?

Yes Jon Neu, developers will make a version for Series X of a game and a completely different one for Series S. Developers will create their game and disregard the other platforms that also need to run it.

There, happy now? Would you like some ice cream as well? Actually, please humor me, I don't believe you are any older than 15, since you don't seem to understand basic concepts.

Last edited:

Three

A lot of what you just said is CPU driven, the XSS has an excellent CPU
The CPU and GPU share the same limited slow ram. Only one thing he said is CPU driven.

So, you don't care what an actual third-party dev says because of what some imaginary third-party devs might say one day?

A lot of devs are already saying it. I think he is saying that when devs, like the Borderlands dev here, starts working on next gen only games in a couple of years the complaints will get louder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom