• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer puts Unreal Engine 5 to the test with 10 billion polygons of dog šŸ•

cormack12

Gold Member

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/developer-puts-unreal-engine-5-to-the-test-with-10-billion-polygons-of-dog/

DQpUlS.jpg

Epic Games gave developers their first taste of the new Unreal Engine with a hefty early access launch earlier this week. With the engine's much-touted new "Nanite" feature bragging the ability to support "essentially infinite" detail, one indie decided to see how far that would go with a whole lotta good boys.

Nanite, effectively, lets developers import incredibly high-detail models (like high-res photogrammetry captures) with minimal performance impact. To put this to the test, Ionized Games lead developer Taylor Loper took a quick scan of his dog Ziggy snoozing on a bed, tossed it into the editor, and duplicated it 1,00 times.

This resulted in 10 billion polygons of dogā€”and arguably the best Unreal project ever made.

Granted, one of the concerns with UE5 is that hyper-realistic scans will only bloat game storage requirements furtherā€”even Epic's fairly limited built-in demo comes in at a hefty 100GB. Loper does seem quietly optimistic, though, telling one commenter that there wasn't any reason why Unreal titles would be inherently bigger than games built on any other engine.

"This model was 1.5 Gb and the example project Epic released is ~100gigs. Games will certainly get bigger but thatā€™s still primarily on the dev. I could have spent 10 more minutes and gotten this model down to 50-100Mb with no real quality loss or effort."

DonF

Gold Member
Amazing what he could do. This is just an example, people. If you can't see the potential... I'm sorry.
In the hands of a proper studio, this is game changing

Sure you can display 10 billion polygons. You only have at most 33 million pixels to display them with, if you have an 8K screen. 8-something million if it's 4K. 2 million for 1080p.

At some point somebody has to realize that content fidelity is pointless bloat and we'd be far better off putting hardware power towards better things, right?

We are considering that, we also thought about German Shepherd or a lab
German Shepherd's are right up there in intelligence with the Dobermans. As matter a fact they replaced Dobies in the police force, only cause they like to think before they react, while the GS will just "go" on command without really analyzing the situation. Both are great protection dogs, but the Lab on the other hand will greet an intruder, and be friendly to them if they have a snack lol.

Last edited:

lestar

My problem with this photoscan thing is...well, it's a photo, it looks real and is fast but when you realise it's all static and lifeless, the illusion is broken.

DapperSloth

Why in the world would I do that? Honestly I'm confused, is this a thing?

Not saying you are going to do it, but yes it is a thing, most owners of Dobermanns have their ears and tails cut or cropped, which fucking sucks ass. You usually associate Dobermann with pointy ears right? And a very very small stump of a tail? Well they are not born that way, but people do that because they make them seem more fierce.

So please, if you get a Dobermann, find a shelter/home that don't sell mutilated Dobermanns.

svhwfA5.jpg
3Hmx07F.jpg

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Wow, man. It's fucking nothing

When I have a game running shit like this, great. I can't wait for it. But a photo?! Meh

ZywyPL

Banned
That's nothing:

Over 300B, and the guys is blazing through all of them just like in the initial UE5 reveal, which some people here claimed to be only doable on PS5 and its SSD.

Lone Wolf

German Shepherd's are right up there in intelligence with the Dobermans. As matter a fact they replaced Dobies in the police force, only cause they like to think before they react, while the GS will just "go" on command without really analyzing the situation. Both are great protection dogs, but the Lab on the other hand will greet an intruder, and be friendly to them if they have a snack lol.
The three smartest breeds are Border Collie, Standard Poodle and German Shepherd. Iā€™ve never heard of Dobermans being very smart, but I do like the breed.

The three smartest breeds are Border Collie, Standard Poodle and German Shepherd. Iā€™ve never heard of Dobermans being very smart, but I do like the breed.
Google search has doberman and German Shepard in #4, #5 in just about every search result. I give the edge to Doberman every time though. There's a difference in being able to recall a word or doing tricks, compared to have real life smarts. Doberman needs a very strong minded owner, as they will always try and outsmart you. I've bred both dogs and have came across several owners at shows, etc. Doberman has the edge in smarts to all of these dogs. Especially European bloodlines.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Google search has doberman and German Shepard in #4, #5 in just about every search result. I give the edge to Doberman every time though. There's a difference in being able to recall a word or doing tricks, compared to have real life smarts. Doberman needs a very strong minded owner, as they will always try and outsmart you. I've bred both dogs and have came across several owners at shows, etc. Doberman has the edge in smarts to all of these dogs. Especially European bloodlines.
Only have experience with Shepherds. Friend does have a dobie and heā€™s a great dog. Shepherds behavior is similar. They need exercise and jobs to do or they get bored and destructive. Regardless, I think we will agree that they are both fantastic breeds. Among the most beautiful too.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I see a lot of guys taking one model and instancing the crap out of it and thinking that the graphics card is churing through it with very little cost. Here's the deal.. these are instances of the same exact object. The game engine is smart in leaving just the memory storage for the model in a cache and then a pointer just indexes this exact same model. It can even cache the shader as well. The only cost would be the original model and transformation matrices to move the model around in world space. This test should be taken with a grain of salt. It does NOT push the graphics pipeline thoroughly enough. In order to do this, you would need several *different* assets and *different materials* on those assets. THEN try instancing them all over the place and you will watch the GPU come to a crawl. This would be a proper stress test as a game is more likely to have many unique instances in a rendered frame during gameplay.

lets see the dog walk, run, jump over fences, grab a frisbee and return it to you, get drenched in rain, have its fur coat shine using raytracing in sunny weather etc..

Three

Gold Member
I see a lot of guys taking one model and instancing the crap out of it and thinking that the graphics card is churing through it with very little cost. Here's the deal.. these are instances of the same exact object. The game engine is smart in leaving just the memory storage for the model in a cache and then a pointer just indexes this exact same model. It can even cache the shader as well. The only cost would be the original model and transformation matrices to move the model around in world space. This test should be taken with a grain of salt. It does NOT push the graphics pipeline thoroughly enough. In order to do this, you would need several *different* assets and *different materials* on those assets. THEN try instancing them all over the place and you will watch the GPU come to a crawl. This would be a proper stress test as a game is more likely to have many unique instances in a rendered frame during gameplay.
Exactly, people are using instanced assets and saying you don't need faster storage but there is literally nothing happening I/O wise it's one asset instance already in memory.

Itā€™s not actually rendering a zillion vertices. Just doing an auto retopo / low poly / normal map / lod etc.

Right?
Yes. You're not actually rendering every triangle at once. The engine automatically pairs things down based on distance, so in reality, it could be a million dogs and it would still take up the same amount of GPU.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So all the fuss about the billions of polygons are just BS.

Top Bottom