• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer Horror Cam Committee Reveals Its Unreal Engine 5 Horror Game Paranormal Tales

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Paranormal Tales is the first title from developer Horror Cam Committee and publisher Joure, and the debut trailer shows a heavy influence from Hideo Kojima’s cancelled horror game PT. PT was a planned Silent Hill game bringing together the iconic Kojima with acclaimed horror director Guillermo del Toro and actor Norman Reedus, and was teased with a short playable demo on PS4 in 2014. Although PT was ultimately canceled, the terrifying teaser developed a cult following, with fans creating remakes of the horror short in everything from VRChat to Dreams on PS4.

The one-minute debut trailer for Paranormal Tales, stylized as footage from a body-cam, opens at night as an unseen man searches for his dog through a leaf-strewn forest of barren trees. As the man’s search becomes more frantic the camera begins to swing around wildly until finally settling on what appears to be a woman in white who suddenly scrambles, insect-like, rapidly towards the camera. After an attempt to seek refuge in a seemingly haunted house fails, the trailer closes with the woman in white screaming and floating towards the camera from a rooftop. This sort of found footage approach is becoming increasingly common in horror games, and was recently used to great effect in the PC and console horror game MADiSON.

Paranormal Tales’ debut trailer not only delivers some genuine scares over its short runtime, but it also serves as a great showcase for the graphical fidelity available to developers with Unreal Engine 5. The Steam listing for the game promises to deliver hyperrealistic environments for players to explore as they play through a series of self-contained experiences documenting the stories of those who have gone missing, with Paranormal Tales' Patreon page promising early access to demos and prototypes for supporters. Letting players take on the role of different characters throughout the game could potentially allow the developers of Paranormal Tales to feature a more diverse cast, countering the serious lack of representation in many upcoming horror games.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

CamHostage

Lotta buzzwords packed into that Gamerant article; not a lot of payoff for all the tech and titles they reference in the actual game...

Gaiff

The future of atmospheric horror games is in VR. Otherwise, if you want something that plays well, you need to look in the direction of action games with horror elements. Sadly, it's sometimes difficult to mix action and horror when a skilled player can just mow through every bad guy you throw their way.

VR can produce some unprecedentedly terrifying games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm not the horror kinda guy as I hate being scared to shit, but I didn't find anything creeping about this.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Get your first proper look at (early alpha) gameplay from Paranormal Tales, the PT-inspired next-gen horror game Paranormal Tales, which is based on found footage and built in Unreal Engine 5. You experience and play through each tragic tale of those who went missing from the viewpoint of bodycams, phones, and VHS cameras. Do you have what it takes to play through the end of the footage?

Knightime_X

I get spooked enough by my wife when I play horror games at night with noise-cancelling headphones in the dark.
She might end up a widow if I play this with her around. :messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_ghost:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gameplay from the Unreal Engine 5 found footage horror game Paranormal Tales was shown during the Future Games Show Spring Showcase. Paranormal Tales is coming soon to PC, so make sure to wishlist it on Steam.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Paranormal Tales’ unique bodycam perspective and impressive presentation make it a horror fan’s dream come true, and the game genuinely has a ton of potential that it can capitalize on. While we’re still waiting on important details like combat encounters or other gameplay mechanics, we can’t help but be excited about this release. The stage has been set, and all that’s left is for Paranormal Tales to stand true to its promises - which we hope it does in an effortless fashion.

Ozriel

M$FT
Seen too many scary movies to know for sure I’m not going to run into an abandoned building in a creepy forest.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"Bodycam" vision i.e. noticeable fisheye lensing and subtle digital image distortion/degradation seems like the new film-grain/bloom/chromatic aberration gimmick employed to hide visual imperfections.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it as a stylistic choice, but I wonder how long its going to be before people start to reject it like the other things I mentioned, and demand an on/off toggle.

Last edited:
How to get motion sickness the game. How do they expect anyone to play that shit and not get a headache? Jesus, some devs are dumb as fuck.
To me the problem looks like the frame rate. Either the guy's computer or the demo unit he was playing it on wasn't powerful enough. It's an easy way to cause massive motion sickness in first person games. That goes doubly so for VR games.

Top Bottom