• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEV Interview: How Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart Is Benefiting From Marvel's Spider-Man

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hey folks, lets try that again.

Less "woke guessing" and calling out other users.

VFX is verified, if you dont agree with him, refute him in a normal manner, but "calling people out" is never a good look.

Animated GIF

Hey VFXVeteran VFXVeteran , hope you're doing good. Sorry in my behalf if caused you any discomfort, I sincerely respect your experience and knowledge even though if we might disagree in the "final" results. Hope you continue to share your knowledge and I thoroughly enjoyed your Ghost of Tsushima thread and many other posts.

ViciousThoroughFerret-max-1mb.gif

Animated GIF

Hey VFXVeteran VFXVeteran , hope you're doing good. Sorry in my behalf if caused you any discomfort, I sincerely respect your experience and knowledge even though if we might disagree in the "final" results. Hope you continue to share your knowledge and I thoroughly enjoyed your Ghost of Tsushima thread and many other posts.

ViciousThoroughFerret-max-1mb.gif
I dont know why your appologizing hes simply a vetted pc fanboy who everybody knows loves to shit on consoles and lie about the techniques used his knowledge of graphics doesnt mean shit because his fanboyism is more important to him, he shat on demons souls saying it didnt have tessellation and said it uses good old parralax occlusion mapping which was false 😂😂

Shat on ratchet saying the cutscenes wherent realtime and the ingame characters werent the same as cutscenes which was also awfully wrong. The game is fully realtime.

The guy is just a sore fanatic nothing on console impresses him even if its superior he will lie cheat and deceive on techniques used in console games and use the excuse as a veteran as gospel. I have no sympathy or respect for such people.

TrueLegend

Honestly the developers must really be tired by now answering same questions reworded again again and again. Bottomline, they made good use of PS5's SSD I/O speed for level loading and character shading but they have not created new core interesting mechanics around it yet. They are looking forward to doing so in next game i.e. Spiderman 2. I think the stars are aligned. Gotta live upto that "Spiderman 2" name.

TonyK

I dont know why your appologizing hes simply a vetted pc fanboy who everybody knows loves to shit on consoles and lie about the techniques used his knowledge of graphics doesnt mean shit because his fanboyism is more important to him, he shat on demons souls saying it didnt have tessellation and said it uses good old parralax occlusion mapping which was false 😂😂

Shat on ratchet saying the cutscenes wherent realtime and the ingame characters werent the same as cutscenes which was also awfully wrong. The game is fully realtime.

The guy is just a sore fanatic nothing on console impresses him even if its superior he will lie cheat and deceive on techniques used in console games and use the excuse as a veteran as gospel. I have no sympathy or respect for such people.
Even if he makes mistakes he also has more technical knowledge than you, me and a lot of people here. I like technical and graphic stuff so I wish there were more posters like him. Fun answers, GIfs, console war, it's nice, but a deep technical opinion, even if in some cases can be wrong, it's really appreciated.

mckmas8808

Banned
Honestly the developers must really be tired by now answering same questions reworded again again and again. Bottomline, they made good use of PS5's SSD I/O speed for level loading and character shading but they have not created new core interesting mechanics around it yet. They are looking forward to doing so in next game i.e. Spiderman 2. I think the stars are aligned. Gotta live upto that "Spiderman 2" name.

Does every game need to do this now?

TrueLegend

I get that, but you made it seem like a bad thing that they haven't used the SSD in a new core gameplay way yet.
How on earth do you guys get that impression. Stop living in your bubble alright. I literally wrote, "They are looking forward to doing so in the next game". How can you read that in a negative tone? I am actually saying there is more to come....but people are asking the same redundant questions instead of being patient. This is the thing with many people on this forum, the PS5's SSD factor is great but for no reason, people have to pit it against PC and other factors like graphics and GPU prowess of Series X. Its engineering not Vodoo magic, and consoles don't feature cutting edge engineering. Ps5's SSD is genuinely going to do great things along with Series X SSD i.e. SSDs in general as they have now become foundational in budget gaming so we would have a game's mechanics designed from the ground up keeping SSD in mind. But we have to wait, R&C developers spend time exploring SSD's capabilities in R&C finding new stuff as they moved along, they didn't start with a full-fledged understanding of how it works in real-time development. Now as they will move to Spiderman 2 they will start with all that. Do all games need to do that? Not necessarily, but should they? Absolutely. Just look at the basic impact of the first thing that SSD brought, it literally reflected in the game's title "rift apart". Instantaneous loading of parallel levels. But it's on the macro level, once we start using it at the micro-level you can have things like dynamic foliage. For example, lets say you fought elementally on a ground cover leaving scorch marks all over the ground, now you can have granular debris of your armour/weapons mixed with jarred vegetation immediately being replaced after the impact of each movement leaving visible impact trails. And that's just me thinking...the game developers can bring so so much more. Winds that blow a cluster of objects instead of just one particle, you need fast asset streaming for that and now we have that. So yes instead of going 4k, 8k we need dynamic details in gaming now for what I would call a next-gen experience. And every game asking the next gen price needs to do that at some point.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The bit about them The Spiderman engine is interesting. The 40 fps native 4k mode shows they aren't even pushing the ps5 you its max. I think Spiderman 2 is going to look absolutely insane.

When they start using primitive shaders and lower the resolution to 1440p with TAA like the ue5 demo, things are going to start looking fairly photorealistic. As good as avatar looks, i think insmoniac can easily match them just like how Spiderman looked just as good as division last gen.

CuNi

Hey folks, lets try that again.

Less "woke guessing" and calling out other users.

VFX is verified, if you dont agree with him, refute him in a normal manner, but "calling people out" is never a good look.

Funny how you said that in May, and now he has the "Professional Victim" tag.

CuNi

He left the site hasnt been around since early June so its really neither here nor there at this point.

I know, I think that's the sad part that he left. I know that people get funny tags when they either do something super noteworthy or something incredibly stupid, but I think most tags are made in a good sports fashion. I was just disappointed to see the mods join in on the bullying.

Nothing can be done about that anymore now, but I still appreciate your guys effort to keep it civil towards him as long as you could.

Edit: also sorry for kinda derailing this necro thread. If you want we can go over to dms.

Last edited:
He left the site hasnt been around since early June so its really neither here nor there at this point.

He's probably taking a break. Everyone needs to cool off every once in a while. Hopefully when he returns he can contribute a lot better to this community.

I always enjoy reading posts from industry professionals but not when they constantly derail threads. Hopefully he can fix that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
The bit about them The Spiderman engine is interesting. The 40 fps native 4k mode shows they aren't even pushing the ps5 you its max. I think Spiderman 2 is going to look absolutely insane.

When they start using primitive shaders and lower the resolution to 1440p with TAA like the ue5 demo, things are going to start looking fairly photorealistic. As good as avatar looks, i think insmoniac can easily match them just like how Spiderman looked just as good as division last gen.

Why are primitive shaders such a big game changer?

Top Bottom