• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Vult: Crusader Kings III Announced

Kadayi

Banned

Deus Vult

Landing sometime in 2020 for Steam, XBox Game Pass and PC (presumably GOG and maybe EGS)

Full Blurb here: -

An Heir is Born

Deets: -

Crusader Kings III is the ultimate grand strategy role-playing experience.

• Shape Your Dynasty: Guide unique characters through history, choosing lifestyles best suited to their personalities and your ambitions.
  • Rewrite Medieval History: Dynasties will change and adapt to changes in family and politics, and religious beliefs are more firmly under your control.
  • Build a Mighty Kingdom: Use your vassals’ fear of you as a weapon or call on familial obligations to persuade reluctant relatives to submit.
  • Experience High Drama: Stranger than fiction stories leap off the screen, as characters plot against you and events push you to extremes.
  • Learn as You Go: Guided advice to help newcomers navigate a rich medieval world. In-game suggestions tip you off to paths you might not have considered.
  • The Usual Crusader Kings Fun: Keep a stubborn council in line, scheme against your overbearing uncle or marry the rich duchy…oops, I mean pious duke or duchess of your dreams.

Also

And, since there is no better time to practice your skills as a ruler, Paradox Development Studios is happy to announce that the base game of Crusader Kings II is now free on all platforms where it can be purchased. CK2 players can also join us on The Monarch’s Journey, a series of custom challenges for the game that will unlock in-game rewards upon completion.

If you've ever been tempted to get into CKII but never made the jump, nows probably a good time as not only is the base game free, but there's a sale on Paradox titles at present so you can hoover up some of the DLC in the process on the cheap. My recommendations are 'Old Gods' 'Way of Life' ' Charlemagne' 'The Conclave' 'Monks & Mystics' & 'Holy Fury' (avoid Sunset Invasion like the plague)

Some Screens (click on to enlarge): -

03_2k-100814881-large.jpg
01_2k-100814879-orig.jpg

04_2k-100814878-orig.jpg
05_2k_tagged-100814882-orig.jpg

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Can't wait to buy all the DLC all over again just to catch up to the content already available in CK2 now. This should at least mean there's not going to be anymore updates to CK2 that will break my mods.

Based on the screens it doesn't look like it's going to be a simple reskin in terms of approach given the more detailed skill tree in the 4th screen. I mean obviously they're going to want to gouge us with DLC for sure, but I'm fairly sure people aren't going to bite if they game is really rudimentary versus the more rounded experience of CKII with a few DLCs under its belt. That shit might fly with Sims players, but I'm not so convinced it will work with the CKII Crowd.

Personally, as someone who's really into micromanaging my courts I'm hoping that things like focuses (if they still exist) and a bit more engaging and flexible.

Anyway, glad it's been announced. I welcome the introduction of the 3D character models, but they definitely need to work on those a bit. I'm liking the actual appearance of the settlements on the landmass though (I was just thinking the other day, why the fuck doesn't clicking on a Temple Vassal say which county he's in by default).

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

Can't wait to buy all the DLC all over again just to catch up to the content already available in CK2 now. This should at least mean there's not going to be anymore updates to CK2 that will break my mods.

EDIT: Also as for your thread title...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...is-happening-heres-ten-things-we-know-so-far/

A4mhH7w.png
Yeah, games about space genocide, slavery and cannibalism are fine. Satanic rituals, sacrificing babies and all that jazz are also ok. But God forbid we say THE PHRASE some california soyboy is deathly afraid of, lol. Fuck you rps.

Also now I'm more that ever worried for VtMB under the cucked paradox leadership. How can they make a game that should say fuck you to all the political correctness when they are the censors themselves?

Kadayi

Banned

Yeah that reveal is going down like lead balloon at the Paradox Forums right now: -

Honestly, I don't see why Paradox feels the need to indulge the likes of RPS with this sort of revisionist history thing at all. Ultimately at the end of the day, it's a historical game.

Helios

DKehoe

Just bought Jade Dragon yesterday.

CK2 is one of my all time favourite games. Looking forward to seeing what they do with 3. Although it may feel a bit bare bones compared to 2 with all the DLC.

Edit: the playable period is already longer than it could be in 2 with Old Gods? That’s a nice start.

Last edited:
Released in 2020. Maybe all the ck2 landmass will be back by 2025. I bought europa universalis 3 right before they announced 4. The last expansion added china. Didn't 4 recently add china? How many years did that take?

Ornlu

Banned
This game is going to be a dud, IMO. Most of the normal people who liked Paradox titles left when the DLC nonsense started getting blatant; what's left are the whales who are happy with $500+ games. Are they going to be happy with a second version of the same $500+ game, that they will have to buy again? We'll see.

Dargor

Honestly, I love Crusader Kings 2, have 700+ hours clocked in, but after the way they launched Imperator, I was gonna wait a year before buying...and then I clicked in this thread and saw this Deus Vult weak ass shit. Maybe I won't buy it all, this is so stupid, what are they thinking.

But I will wait till my displeasure with this passes and reevaluate my thoughts on it. But boy, do I think this is some weak ass pandering to people that wouldn't even buy the game in the first place.

edit: and just to be clear on how much I like this game, I think I own all of the dlc for it.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly, I love Crusader Kings 2, have 700+ hours clocked in, but after the way they launched Imperator, I was gonna wait a year before buying...and then I clicked in this thread and saw this Deus Vult weak ass shit. Maybe I won't buy it all, this is so stupid, what are they thinking.

But I will wait till my displeasure with this passes and reevaluate my thoughts on it. But boy, do I think this is some weak ass pandering to people that wouldn't even buy the game in the first place.

My concern isn't so much with 'Deus Vult' but with the implication from the RPS article '" I’ll be writing more about how Paradox are handling the political sensitivities of making a game about the crusades, and how they’re handling the representation of non-European cultures, in the weeks to come." as if somehow they're an expert on such matters (given RPS is such a well-known bastion of both Multiculturalism and historical understanding as demonstrated by their laughably bad articles shitting on KCD for not being woke enough) and secondly that it's somehow a requirement for a historical game to present a palatable face as to what's gone before. (to whose benefit exactly?) I wonder if the Writer from RPS has ever wondered why most of Spain starts off under the Caliphate for instance. Somehow I doubt it 🤔

As regards the game. I don't get the impression it will be coming out the gate bare-bones but I definitely am waiting to see more about what it is bringing.

Last edited:

Dargor

My concern isn't so much with 'Deus Vult' but with the implication from the RPS article '" I’ll be writing more about how Paradox are handling the political sensitivities of making a game about the crusades, and how they’re handling the representation of non-European cultures, in the weeks to come." as if somehow they're an expert on such matters (given RPS is such a well-known bastion of both Multiculturalism and historical understanding as demonstrated by their laughably bad articles shitting on KCD for not being woke enough) and secondly that it's somehow a requirement for a historical game to present a palatable face as to what's gone before. (to whose benefit exactly?) I wonder if the Writer from RPS has ever wondered why most of Spain starts off under the Caliphate for instance. Somehow I doubt it 🤔

As regards the game. I don't get the impression it will be coming out the gate bare-bones but I definitely am waiting to see more about what it is bringing.

Yeah, my concern is all about what they are also removing from the game. "Deus Vult" is just the tip of the ice berg, what else will be gone? There are so many mechanics in the game that aren't "pc" that it makes me wonder how far they'll go to appease the woke brigade, specially when you know that it will never be enough.

oreosted

Neo Member
There are so many mechanics in the game that aren't "pc" that it makes me wonder how far they'll go to appease the woke brigade, specially when you know that it will never be enough.
not only "forgetting" to add mechanics that already exist, but they could also simply not make new mechanics for potentially being 'offensive' to those who would not even play their game.

Bolivar687

Banned
I can't believe we're doing this right now. I mean, Crusader Kings III is coming out. We should be celebrating like at the end of the Phantom Menace, sobbing in each other's arms and pissing our pants in joy.

Yet here we are, talking about politics, for literally no reason at all.

I'm sorry, but you can't make a game about the Crusades by taking out "Deus Vult." Anyone applauding this is a small minority of the potential audience, and the alt-right are even smaller than that. The biggest problem is the dishonesty of it all - literally no one is actually offended by it, they're only pretending that they are.

This game is bigger than all this. I personally rank Crusader Kings II up there with the likes of Counter-Strike and Diablo II as a platform-defining title in the long history of PC gaming. But I don't think the reveal announcement could have gone any worse.

brap

Banned
We should be celebrating like at the end of the Phantom Menace, sobbing in each other's arms and pissing our pants in joy.

Yet here we are, talking about politics, for literally no reason at all.
It's like that every time some big game comes out because they always want to make it political. It really sucks that normal people that love videogames can rarely be excited for them anymore.

Kadayi

Banned
All I can say to Paradox is....

qmpp3Uc.jpg

To be fair they have opened up a new megathread about the subject, though it's important to read the OP as there are some harsh posting restriction in place: -

I'll probably weigh in there tomorrow at some point and express my thoughts. I'm certainly not in the 'I'm out' camp on this (I''ve been waiting for CK3 forever because CK2s UI is fucking cancer tbh), but as expressed earlier on, this kind of revisionist history approach just doesn't sit right with me in terms of what it may lead to and I honestly don't think it's a smart move on Paradoxs part to start chasing the elusive dragon of approval that constitutes the failing gaming press and their particular peccadillos. I don't think the value proposition of the contempt of your current customer base versus a few positive column inches at RPS of all places adds up.

Last edited:
To be fair they have opened up a new megathread about the subject, though it's important to read the OP as there are some harsh posting restriction in place: -

I'll probably weigh in there tomorrow at some point and express my thoughts. I'm certainly not in the 'I'm out' camp on this (I''ve been waiting for CK3 forever because CK2s UI is fucking cancer tbh), but as expressed earlier on, this kind of revisionist history approach just doesn't sit right with me in terms of what it may lead to and I honestly don't think it's a smart move on Paradoxs part to start chasing the elusive dragon of approval that constitutes the failing gaming press and their particular peccadillos. I don't think the value proposition of the contempt of your current customer base versus a few positive column inches at RPS of all places adds up.
It's 30+ pages now. Honestly I don't really care if it's in or not. It's not like I'm going to stop playing as Catholics if my character doesn't shout Deus Vult and I'm not going to stop playing as Muslims if my character doesn't go Allahu Akbar. What I do give a fuck about is consistency in their stances. The game has built in negative modifiers if characters are of different race, religion and culture but somehow a meme is over the line? All kinds of bigotry are part of the base game mechanics already. The game practically revolves around keeping people like your character happy and turning people that are not like you either dead or copies of you.

But what really pisses me off the most is the not so veiled threat by the RPS journo. The whole "I'm watching you and ready to sick my SJW army on you if you don't kowtow" vibe is exactly the kind of shit that I'm so sick off. Did it not occur to him that he's practically talking about eugenics in his 3rd bullet point? Political sensitivities my ass.

Kadayi

Banned
It's 30+ pages now. Honestly I don't really care if it's in or not. It's not like I'm going to stop playing as Catholics if my character doesn't shout Deus Vult and I'm not going to stop playing as Muslims if my character doesn't go Allahu Akbar. What I do give a fuck about is consistency in their stances. The game has built in negative modifiers if characters are of different race, religion and culture but somehow a meme is over the line? All kinds of bigotry are part of the base game mechanics already. The game practically revolves around keeping people like your character happy and turning people that are not like you either dead or copies of you.

But what really pisses me off the most is the not so veiled threat by the RPS journo. The whole "I'm watching you and ready to sick my SJW army on you if you don't kowtow" vibe is exactly the kind of shit that I'm so sick off. Did it not occur to him that he's practically talking about eugenics in his 3rd bullet point? Political sensitivities my ass.

The brutal realities of medieval history are unfortunately too much for the likes of RPS, so naturally, they want to revise it.

Free....Is free 2 play on steam....Is the same crusader Kings 2 base game or Is the shit version with MT ?

It's the base game for free. There's no micro-transactions in CK2, there's just a lot of DLC (some great, some good and some nope). Get the base game, and snap up Way of Life, Old Gods, Charlemagne, The Conclave, Monks & Mystics & Holy fury. Whilst they are on sale.

Apparently there's been an update to the original RPS article: -

Update – Henrik Fåhraeus offered this comment: “I feel like this issue has been miscommunicated thus far. We have not specifically considered which terms are used in the game apart from making sense in the historical context. The team will decide how any text fits or does not fit into CK3 in a way that feels appropriate.”

Doesn't necessarily mean Deus Vult isn't getting removed, but it's a clear indication that the subject becoming the No 1 discussion about CKIII probably wasn't what they were hoping for given how it's blown up. Hopefully, they'll actually listen to their community and throw that idea out the window, but judging by the attitude of their own moderation (who pretty much painted their own forums feedback as an irrelevant data point as far as they were concerned) I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

nikolino840

The brutal realities of medieval history are unfortunately too much for the likes of RPS, so naturally, they want to revise it.

It's the base game for free. There's no micro-transactions in CK2, there's just a lot of DLC (some great, some good and some nope). Get the base game, and snap up Way of Life, Old Gods, Charlemagne, The Conclave, Monks & Mystics & Holy fury. Whilst they are on sale.
Thankyou!

Dargor

Hope it means that its not removed. It might mean that not everything else in this game has been a victim of the "pc" police.

edit:

"An Heir Is Born"

Surely that's not correct.

I'm probably wrong, english is not my first language, but heir has a vowel sound not a consonant one, so you use "an" not "a".

That is, if you even are talking about grammar rules lol.

Last edited:
I would prefer Europa Universalis V or something. Tho I have be playing Imperator: Rome way more. I did a let's play until the end, if anyone wants to see:

Never got into RTS games. Thinking about it, though. Hard to think of any other way of commanding armies without this genre, it seems.

It's just hard to get into.

Senhua

Sweet will buy the complete edition 5 years after launch when the forth game been announced.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I'm probably wrong, english is not my first language, but heir has a vowel sound not a consonant one, so you use "an" not "a".

That is, if you even are talking about grammar rules lol.

This is correct. "A" vs "An" is about the sound, not the actual letter. If the word starts with a consonant, you'll typically use "A". A vowel, use "An". But words like "heir" or "hour" don't have the consonant sound so using "an" is ideal. It just flows better - "an hour" vs "eh hour" (or "uh hour").

Things get a bit tricky with dropped sounds. For example, "history". Brits frequently drop the "H" so the word is heard as "istory" whereas American English pronounces it so it sounds like "history". So "an 'istory of warfare" and "a history of warfare" are both correct. One of those silly rules where words tend to follow how things sound and not how they're written.

And back to the OP - As much as I enjoy Paradox games (yes, even the broken Imperator Rome), I can't in good faith keep shelling out money to support the woke culture these devs seem to be a part of. yet_another_alt yet_another_alt nailed it here: "What I do give a fuck about is consistency in their stances. The game has built in negative modifiers if characters are of different race, religion and culture but somehow a meme is over the line? All kinds of bigotry are part of the base game mechanics already. The game practically revolves around keeping people like your character happy and turning people that are not like you either dead or copies of you."

My friends and I used to joke that we were surprised how CK2 and some of the others hadn't been pulled down by the PC police already. Can't really say the snowflakes taking offense to history is much of a surprise, but a company trying to make a historically realistic game then deciding to sanitize it to keep everyone happy is still disappointing. Reminds me a bit of the controversy that Total War had when they decided to be "more inclusive" and add female generals and soldiers to cultures that were typically male-only. The devs then tried to walk the line and manage the backlash by saying their games should be considered "historically authentic" and not "historically accurate".

I haven't paid full price for a TW game since.

And CK3 - and any future Paradox games - are going to be skipped on release as well.

When console companies do this I typically wait to buy the game used so the devs don't get any of my cash. Since that's not really an option with digital games, I'll wait til I can grab this at a deep sale or as part of a bundle (where I'd ideally be able to not give any part of my money to the devs at all).

Kadayi

Banned
Things get a bit tricky with dropped sounds. For example, "history". Brits frequently drop the "H" so the word is heard as "istory" whereas American English pronounces it so it sounds like "history". So "an 'istory of warfare" and "a history of warfare" are both correct. One of those silly rules where words tend to follow how things sound and not how they're written.).

I think you may have been watching a bit too much Eastenders

Kadayi

Banned
Some more details here: -

Couple of Snippets; -

Crusader Kings 3's map is about four times the physical size of its predecessor's, and while it hasn't added many new locations, each individual barony (which used to exist only as small pictures within the county screen) is now its own space on the map that you can march armies through, adding tons of tactical depth. The map will span all the way from Ireland to India, covering nearly all of the geographical area that Crusader Kings 2 does with all of its patches. Unlike Crusader Kings 2, all rulers on the map will be playable from day one instead of having to wait for DLC to unlock specific religious groups and government types.

Paradox has also really dialed up the role-playing elements. Borrowing from Crusader Kings 2's Way of Life DLC, characters will pick a lifestyle (warfare, religion, intrigue, etc), and within each are three talent trees that you can put points into over time to gain new traits and abilities. A religion-focused character can work toward becoming a Prophet, for example, which makes founding a new custom religion or heresy cheaper. Dynasties will also level up and gain powerful mechanical bonuses called Legacies, giving you something you can carry with you across generations. Finally, Prestige and Piety are no longer just resources that accumulate. They will also fill up what is basically an experience bar, letting your characters "level up" their Renown and Devotion for increasing mechanical bonuses.

Also Game Director Interview at PDXCON2019 keynote

Kadayi

Banned
First Offical Dev Diary is up: -

Just a short one, so I'll quote in full versus Snippets: -

Greetings friends!

It’s my pleasure to finally be able to talk about what I’ve been working on ever since Stellaris came out (and before) - Crusader Kings III, of course! CK3 draws on the wisdom gained over CK2’s seven long years of expansions and patches - all the things we simply could not do in that game - and represents the natural evolution of Crusader Kings. Yes, CK3 is an evolution, not a revolution; it’s better across the board and does not alter the core CK experience. That said, we did not carry over everything from every expansion and update to CK2. Rather than trying to do full justice to the less appreciated systems, we decided to go deep rather than wide.

The main design goals with Crusader Kings III were:
  • Character Focus: Crusader Kings is clearly and unequivocally about individual characters, unlike our other games. This makes CK most suited for memorable emergent stories, and we wanted to bring characters into all important gameplay mechanics (where possible.)
  • Player Freedom and Progression: We want to cater to all player fantasies we can reasonably accommodate, allowing players to shape their ruler, heirs, dynasty and even religion to their liking - though there should of course be appropriate challenges to overcome.
  • Player Stories: All events and scripted content should feel relevant, impactful and immersive in relation to the underlying simulation. That way, players will perceive and remember stories - their own stories, not the developers’ stories.
  • Approachability: Crusader Kings III should be user friendly without compromising its general level of complexity and historical flavor. It’s nice if it’s easier to get into, but more than that, it should be clear what everything in the game is, what you might want to be doing, and how to go about it.
Now, you might say: “Cool, but I took the time to master CK2, bought all the expansions, and now it provides me an enormous breadth of options. Why should I buy CK3?”

That’s a fair question! As I mentioned earlier, we decided not to carry over all features from CK2, so if you play CK2 primarily for, say, the nomads or the merchant republics (the only faction types that were playable in CK2 but not in CK3), you might be disappointed. There are likely other features and content that will be missed by some players, but, in return, we believe that everyone will find the core gameplay far more fun and rewarding! To be clear, CK3 is a vastly bigger game than CK2 was on release.

I know this dev diary was short on details, but don’t despair - they will be revealed over the coming months!
Henrik Fåhraeus

TLDR

Basically, the game is going to be more focussed on your journey as the character you are and provides you with a lot more control over the conduct and behaviour of your court and dynasty. Albeit CK3 won't launch with all aspects of CK2, it's going to be a much deeper richer more immersive experience and a lot more user-friendly versus its predecessor.

Dargor

Man, I'm trying but its just not working, all of these things they are talking about sounds nice, but the mojo is ruined.

Gonna keep reading the news and see if they can turn me around :messenger_weary:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I've only just gotten into CK2. What a game! No idea it existed, or to be more precise no idea it was a real time life simulator. I just thought it was like Total War but without the battles. This CK2 has sucked the hours away over the last week or two.

I have no comment on the deus vult stuff; I simply haven't followed it. But regarding the comment from the article about how they are evaluating how to best manage sensitivities in the game, I will say this - it did cross my mind that for a game that spans much of the known world during the period it's set, and has a strong theme of managing religion, the term "Crusader Kings" could seem like a turnoff for followers of Islam, in the same way that many Christians would not be likely to buy a game called "Sultans of Jihad". So I recognize that there's a path of sensitivity they need to tread if they want the game to be truly global and appealing to players of all types. But how they will do it, I have no clue. The Assassin's Creed games have a disclaimer about religion every time it loads up; maybe something similar would be warranted (and possibly a title change might be in order, or at least sold with different title names in different regions?)

GreenAlien

CK2 is basically a lot of waiting for something to happen intersected with tiny text events and a little management.. Even on the highest speed, it's still mostly waiting.

..and somehow, it sucks you in, 6 hours are over in a moment and you realize it's time for bed and you achieved almost nothing (in the game and in RL).

I tried the game 3 times and I always had to stop myself and uninstall it after a few days because the amount of time it took up wasn't healthy.

I hope III is less addictive/respects peoples time more.

Kadayi

Banned
Dev Diary #1 is up: -

Dynasties & Houses

TL: DR

Basically, they're introducing the idea of Cadet House (a much-requested feature) wherein you as say a member of a larger Dynasty might form your own distinct house within it (The Jerome-Karlings versus the Karlings) This gives you benefits in that you essentially become the head of your house giving you more control over your direct descendants, but you're also still part of the wider dynasty.

They're also adding a new element similar to the Existing Prestige system called Renown which is accumulated by Dynasties through the entire membership which impacts the splendour of the Dynasty as a whole which has an influence on how your family name is regarded beyond yourself. To use a game of Thrones analogy being an Honourable Stark versus a Manipulative Lannister.

Dynasties can also generate legacies over time in terms of generational bonuses (possibly akin to Bloodlines as in CK2 Holy Fury by the sounds of it). All good stuff.

Top Bottom