• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex, Invisible War, and Human Revolution are some of my favorite intriguing dystopian game worlds

The other day I was reading a recent article about the original Deus Ex in which Warren Spector said he wouldn't make such a game today because people believe too many conspiracy theories. For those who don't know, Deus Ex was the brainchild of one Warren Spector and lead designer Harvey Smith who would go on to direct the sequel, Invisible War. I found both games to be really fun to play through due in large part to their intriguing dystopian game worlds. Everything from the catchy music to the dark and moody environments and dialogue reminds me that one of the reasons why I play through most single-player games is because the game worlds can be so interesting, especially the ones that are more weird and spooky than your everyday real life.

I was introduced to the series with Human Revolution when it released almost a decade ago. And when you compare it to previous entries, it did have a different, more focused cinematic tone and streamlined gameplay but was just as interesting to explore the environments, talk to people, read emails and the overall story was entertaining. Sure, they come with flaws - Invisible War's universal ammo was dumb but it was an otherwise great game. I didn't even really know about the cyberpunk genre before playing Deus Ex but I Ioved watching The X-Files when I was younger and Deus Ex is like a melting pot of different conspiracy theories (none of which I believe but they're fun to see in video games).

So I am wondering does anyone else feel the same about the Deus Ex games? Do you like these kind of game worlds?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Its+jc+denton+from+the+original+deus+ex+game+from+_8b544a073be3ca44cea573b4e5524439.jpg

Guilty_AI

(none of which I believe but they're fun to see in video games)
Do you even 2021 bro. The original game's setting predicted from america's obsession with both external and domestic terrorism (keep in mind first game released before 9/11), to a global pandemic.

Heres what Warren Spector himself had to say according to the article:
“I'm constantly amazed at how accurate our view of the world ended up being. Frankly it freaks me out a bit.”

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I have never played any of these games - dysptopias are now so common in sci-fi that the concept seems old and tired to me. Also like some other people mentioned, reality can seem dystopian enough.

I still wonder how much better Invisible War would have turned out if they hadn't developed it with Xbox in mind. The gimped inventory and clunky UI obviously designed for controller users, the shoebox sized levels... I doubt we would have seen any of that.

Nico_D

Actually I need to get around to playing Mankind Divided. It's part of my backlog.

Have you tried the two DLC episodes?

I replayed the game about six months ago but didn't try the DLC episodes, sorry. I didn't like The Missing Link so I just didn't feel like taking the risk with these either.

If you do, let me know if they're worth it.

Fitzchiv

I'm currently playing through the DX:HR Directors Cut (360 version on Series X) and once you get past the sub-HD graphics it's aged remarkably well. I love the worlds, I remember first time around I visited everything, tried every door, every alley. DX:MKD is a decent successor with a couple too many edges knocked off, but I really hope they pull their finger out of their arses and finish this trilogy or hand the IP off to someone else.

Shut0wen

I'm currently playing through the DX:HR Directors Cut (360 version on Series X) and once you get past the sub-HD graphics it's aged remarkably well. I love the worlds, I remember first time around I visited everything, tried every door, every alley. DX:MKD is a decent successor with a couple too many edges knocked off, but I really hope they pull their finger out of their arses and finish this trilogy or hand the IP off to someone else.
Ive just recently finished the DC on xbox a month or 2 ago, brilliant game, missing link dlc is one of the best dlcs ove played in a long time

Zuzu

I think all the Deus Ex games are great including Invisible War. I've played 15-20 hours of CyberPunk so far and currently I actually think the core gameplay of Deus Ex Human Revolution & Mankind Divided is better. Maybe the gunplay isn't as good, but I think the stealth gameplay is better in those two games.

T-Cake

What's the story with DX:HR then? I can only see the original edition on the Xbox store to buy. Do you have to use the disc edition to get the Director's Cut? I didn't even know that could be played in BC.

Think I might treat myself to Mankind Divided on Xbox whilst it's on offer even though it didn't get any enhancements like the PS4 Pro version. But maybe MS will work some magic with it in future.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

What's the story with DX:HR then? I can only see the original edition on the Xbox store to buy. Do you have to use the disc edition to get the Director's Cut? I didn't even know that could be played in BC.

Think I might treat myself to Mankind Divided on Xbox whilst it's on offer even though it didn't get any enhancements like the PS4 Pro version. But maybe MS will work some magic with it in future.
I'd never played the directors cut, so this time around wanted to get the benefit of less shit boss fights etc. Like you I couldn't see it on the store but picked up a used copy off eBay for £3, popped it in, all works great.

RAIDEN1

Yet to play Mankind Divided.

If its as good as Human Revolution, that wayyy better than Cyberpunk.
Both games are way better than CyberPunk...might not give you as much freedom but even so it is still a lot better (although admittedly) I haven't played Cyberpunk due to the sorry state its in technicaly and the need to download about 5 billion patches..:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Both games are way better than CyberPunk...might not give you as much freedom but even so it is still a lot better (although admittedly) I haven't played Cyberpunk due to the sorry state its in technicaly and the need to download about 5 billion patches..:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Deus ex gives right amount of freedom. It has great pacing and story doesnt loose momentum due to open world.

Cyberpunk has some fundamental issues like it rpg system not being suitable for shooter type gameplay.

I wouldnt compare it to well made game like deus ex. Sure its much more ambitious but fails harder because of it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

"both games are better than cyberpunk but I didnt play cyberpunk"

rofl, ok. Technical issues aside, Cyberpunk is just as good if not better than HR/MD.

Last edited:

BuffNTuff

Banned
I beat human revolution probably 4 or 5 times over the years. Probably my favorite game of the ps360 era. I remember when the leaked intro of the game was released and it was so unbelievably fire it was probably one of the best promotional materials square / eidos could have hoped for.

Mankind divided was good, but ultimately fell flat compared to human revolution and was incomplete.

brian0057

Banned
Deus ex gives right amount of freedom. It has great pacing and story doesnt loose momentum due to open world.

Cyberpunk has some fundamental issues like it rpg system not being suitable for shooter type gameplay.

I wouldnt compare it to well made game like deus ex. Sure its much more ambitious but fails harder because of it.
Cyberpunk 2077 is trying to be the GTA version of Deus Ex but fails spectacularly at both.

I beat human revolution probably 4 or 5 times over the years. Probably my favorite game of the ps360 era. I remember when the leaked intro of the game was released and it was so unbelievably fire it was probably one of the best promotional materials square / eidos could have hoped for.

Mankind divided was good, but ultimately fell flat compared to human revolution and was incomplete.

Dont get me wrong, but were you overhyped for Mankind Divided?

Happens to me all the time, getting disappointed by most anticipated game.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

Agreed, not dated at all playing at 1080p/60 on PC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why not Mankind Divided? It is excellent and the hub is even better (more dystopian) than in Human Revolution.

Was not a fan of it, to be honest. Didn't like the setting and I found the whole "aug discrimination/racism" angle of the story with the internment camp shit to be completely ridiculous. Couldn't take it seriously at all.

Cyberpunk 2077 is trying to be the GTA version of Deus Ex but fails spectacularly at both.

Open world Deus Ex. I think it does a mostly excellent job at pulling it off even though it obviously has some problems that need fixing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Griffon

I do like the games, but HR and MD had too much emphasis on stealth for my personal taste. That's actually one of the reasons I liked Cyberpunk better, better gunplay and doesn't look down on you if you decide to go in guns blazing.

Last edited:
Played Mankind Divided a few months back with all dlc as well. One DLC was really short, the other one was a bit longer - the one in the bank I think - but had many different ways to play, and the prison one was really long and complete.

Not the best game on the series, I think they tried too much to be "realistic" and the setting is just weird I think. Some things become really boring, some conversations, and even tough i think not all games need to be about saving the world and all that but it was really underwhelming for most of the time.

Also didn't like the hub aspect to it. I understand why they did it, but I don't think it paid off.

There some fenomenal details though. Some models are really detailed with really good looking textures, others look like crap. The fly movements are really nice as well as the cockroaches. Small details are top notch some really top notch pros on the team.

But the pacing really failed in my opinion. Near the end the game becomes a lot more interesting but until you get there, there is not much motivation and most likely will lose interest in it.

Glad I played but really not interested in replaying.

Jaxcellent

Deus Ex is great, I played them all in the year they were released... I remember playing the first one on a VooDoo 3dfx card, those were the days...

For those who don't know.. some weird and crazy detail; the game was released in 2000, set in NY, and for some reason unknown, the designer diden't include the Twin towers in the NY skyline background. weird because in 2001 they were gone for real... anyway, love the games.Planning on replaying human revolution again soon...

RAIDEN1

Deus Ex is great, I played them all in the year they were released... I remember playing the first one on a VooDoo 3dfx card, those were the days...

For those who don't know.. some weird and crazy detail; the game was released in 2000, set in NY, and for some reason unknown, the designer diden't include the Twin towers in the NY skyline background. weird because in 2001 they were gone for real... anyway, love the games.Planning on replaying human revolution again soon...
Right now I wouldn't mind an animated short or something along the lines of M.G.S graphic novels ...

horkrux

Yes, the three Deus Ex games we got are all fantastic. I hope we get a sequel to MD at some point.

The first game is also ripe for another replay. One of the best games of all time, and I say that as someone who has first played it like 10 years after it launched.

decisions

Why leave out MD? Amazing game with a really unique and compelling setting. I agree for the most part though, amazing series.

Please give us a next-gen Deus Ex game!

Top Bottom